Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner vs OVH vs Contabo vs Netcup, which one might be the Worst? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner vs OVH vs Contabo vs Netcup, which one might be the Worst?

Comments

• @hacktek said:

@EthanZou said:

@hacktek said:
    I'd put Netcup a distant second behind Contabo. Been a customer for several years and their limits are way better than Contabo but they're still there. They especially don't like you putting stress on the drive, they usually rate limit writes to ~150 MB/s which can become a very limiting factor depending on the workload. Their uncapped io is good, I've measured it topping about 1500 MB/s which is more than enough for most workloads and enough to hit their 2.5-3 Gbps upload.

Hetzner cloud and OVH have always been solid for me, not as performant but no limits io wise that I've experienced, their limits usually come on the network side with either "generous but not great" transfer limits (Hetzner) or limits to how long you can peg the network at 100% for (OVH).

Thanks for your information! <3
    Contabo < Netcup <OVH = Hetzner
    All right?

Yeah that's how I'd rank them based on my own experience.

This is only speaking about cloud instances, I've only ever had dedis on Hetzner from this list.

Benefit a lot from your experience and this is what we need.

• @EthanZou said:

@labrax said:
    for asia location obviously contabo > ovh > hetzner > netcup

Contabo? the best?

yeah their singapore VPS storage is the best bang for your bucks afaik, you cant get 400gb storage, unlimited "IN" bandwidth, 2cores and 4GB ram anywhere in singapore for only €6, the connectivity is pretty good so far (3months). my only complain contabo control panel is mediocre at best but I can live with that.

ovh singapore is just another minimum specs but pricey similar to vultr, digitalocean.

hetzner and netcup doesnt have asian location and the ping are pretty rough here 190-200ms^

• ovh is pure shi* , terminated vps/account for fake DMCA complaint and provided no backup. :angry:

• I don't really like the contract of Netcup, but this way also dramatically reduces abuse. OVH is great 👍, I have a VPS and a Kimsufi with them, great so far.
    Hetzner is also great😃, I love their bang for the buck and their instant setup for Hetzner Cloud.
    Contabo... They oversells, and I only use their object storage. I would say Contabo is the worst because... WHO ON EARTH NEEDS A SETUP FEE FOR A VPS???

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited January 2023

I like ovh but not on direct from their own product

Sometimes reseller offer it cheaper like gullo, webhorizon, obhost or wishosting , plus you got friendly vps panel like solusvm or virtualizor, not like their own cloud panel and billing panel (OVH) that sometimes confusing to use

• @labrax said:

@EthanZou said:

@labrax said:
    for asia location obviously contabo > ovh > hetzner > netcup

Contabo? the best?

yeah their singapore VPS storage is the best bang for your bucks afaik, you cant get 400gb storage, unlimited "IN" bandwidth, 2cores and 4GB ram anywhere in singapore for only €6, the connectivity is pretty good so far (3months). my only complain contabo control panel is mediocre at best but I can live with that.

ovh singapore is just another minimum specs but pricey similar to vultr, digitalocean.

hetzner and netcup doesnt have asian location and the ping are pretty rough here 190-200ms^

So Hetzner and Netcup might be your choice if they have asian location, I guess. :#

• @Donkey said:
    ovh is pure shi* , terminated vps/account for fake DMCA complaint and provided no backup. :angry:

As to DMCA, how about Hetzner?

• @FrankRuan said:
    I don't really like the contract of Netcup, but this way also dramatically reduces abuse. OVH is great 👍, I have a VPS and a Kimsufi with them, great so far.
    Hetzner is also great😃, I love their bang for the buck and their instant setup for Hetzner Cloud.
    Contabo... They oversells, and I only use their object storage. I would say Contabo is the worst because... WHO ON EARTH NEEDS A SETUP FEE FOR A VPS???

How about Hetzner and OVH in comparison? Would the former be the final winner?

• @EthanZou said:

@FrankRuan said:
    I don't really like the contract of Netcup, but this way also dramatically reduces abuse. OVH is great 👍, I have a VPS and a Kimsufi with them, great so far.

How about Hetzner and OVH in comparison? Would the former be the final winner?

Hetzner if you want more performance with much lower cost (i.e. nobody can compete with their AX lineup and auction machines)
    But Hetzner doesn't have a low-end dedi which OVH has that(i.e. Kimsufi)

If you are rich & want more performance, go Hetzner, which will deliver you more performance than OVH(higher spec)
    If you are poor & still want SOME performance, go OVH
    (Well if you are in China then Hetzner is the only choice lol)

• So far, Netcup is the best one that has the lowest voting rate which is less than 10%. Why? or it's just because they have too few customers?

• ralfralf Member
    edited January 2023

I'm not actually voting, because I can't say any of them are worse, but I've also not tried Contabo or Netcup.

However, I had a KS-1 with Kimsufi (OVH) for 9 years and had zero downtime. Got well over 1000 days uptime before I decided to reboot for a kernel upgrade, for instance. Similarly so far with my 14 months of KS-LE-1. Only downside is the slow network port speed, but at least with KS-LE-1, that's only slow in one direction. Only needed support once, and it was fine.

Hetzner seems great so far - nice and fast, good network and great value, but as I've only had it 2 months, it's kind of too early to comment. Not needed support. Only downside with Hetzner was the set-up fee for a non-configurable dedi seemed excessive, so I went with a server auction. I think I actually got a better deal that way too.

Unlike most people, it seems, I've never been asked for any ID documents from any hosting company. I guess using real details, having an IP that geolocates close to the address that also matches my details and bank account helps! :D

• @ralf said: but I've also not tried Contabo

Maybe it's a wise move.

Unlike most people, it seems, I've never been asked for any ID documents from any hosting company.

Most people?

• adnsadns Member
    edited January 2023

@EthanZou said:
    So far, Netcup is the best one that has the lowest voting rate which is less than 10%. Why? or it's just because they have too few customers?

The contract is the deterrent factor for most of people. I was thinking about months before I bought the smallest RS at easter offer. I am very satisfied with it, however, the contract and billing period requires a conscious financial planning. Moreover, if the customer not cancel exactly the product that don't wanted anymore, they try to get their money with a strict policy. I think that they're the best in the VPS line with their RS range but there's a very big bureaucracy.

@ralf said:
    However, I had a KS-1 with Kimsufi (OVH) for 9 years and had zero downtime. Got well over 1000 days uptime before I decided to reboot for a kernel upgrade, for instance. Similarly so far with my 14 months of KS-LE-1. Only downside is the slow network port speed, but at least with KS-LE-1, that's only slow in one direction. Only needed support once, and it was fine.

Which DC in your KS-LE-1 located? What are specs? If I understand well it is the 2021 version.

• @adns said: I think that they're the best in the VPS line with their RS range

Nice! As good as Hetzner Cloud?

• Conclusion: > Hetzner + OVH + Netcup = The Best <3

• OVH is great 👍

• @licher70 said:
    OVH is great 👍

Cloud or Dedi?

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited January 2023

None after all prices hike up and super support improvement. But until there're good alternatives, they will still dominate in lowend and idling market.

• @mrclown said:
    None after all prices hike up and super support improvement. But until there're good alternatives, they will still dominate in lowend and idling market.

Hmm, so which is your favorite provider?

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited January 2023

@EthanZou said:

@mrclown said:

They are equally bad. so using mixed depending on the location (only talking about dedi). A few other providers here provide better service than those you listed.

Eg (not promoting). 1GServers, Reliablesite

• ralfralf Member
    edited January 2023

@adns said:
    Which DC in your KS-LE-1 located? What are specs? If I understand well it is the 2021 version.

Yes, 2021, bought the week before the Black Friday deals started as they announced it early.

Data centre: RBX5
    Specs: KS-LE Server - Intel Xeon E5-1620v2 - 32GB DDR3 ECC 1133MHz - 2x 2To HDD Soft RAID
    Network: send 100Mbps, receive 1000Mpbs (should be 100Mbps both ways)

Thanked by 1adns
  • I've been a Hetzner customer since 2017. Nothing but good things to say about their dedis. There were some real steals on their auction site up until the price hike. Haven't really been looking since.
    It's unfortunate to hear their VPS lineup isn't quite there yet. I have a feeling they'll be able to get it up to par though.

OVH I've used only a few times. Their low-end lineup is interesting (Kimisufi/SYS).

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

No issues with Hetzner for years, except when they swapped the wrong drive and almost lost all my data.

Contabo tends to have high steal, but otherwise ok.

Netcup always had good stability, except for a few days where they were DDoSed and filtered a bit too aggressively.

OVH burned down their data center and I didn't use them since. Their dedis seem on the expensive side too.

• @mrclown said:

@EthanZou said:

@mrclown said:

They are equally bad. so using mixed depending on the location (only talking about dedi). A few other providers here provide better service than those you listed.

Eg (not promoting). 1GServers, Reliablesite

1GServers?

• @theloafingone said: It's unfortunate to hear their VPS lineup isn't quite there yet.

Hetzner Cloud?

@m4nu said:
    No issues with Hetzner for years, except when they swapped the wrong drive and almost lost all my data.

Netcup always had good stability, except for a few days where they were DDoSed and filtered a bit too aggressively.

OVH burned down their data center and I didn't use them since. Their dedis seem on the expensive side too.

How about Hetzner and Netcup in comparison?

• @EthanZou said:

@theloafingone said: It's unfortunate to hear their VPS lineup isn't quite there yet.

Hetzner Cloud?

@m4nu said:

How about Hetzner and Netcup in comparison?

Netcup's peering a lot better than others. Hetzner peering still good but netcup better. The smallest RS if 2,5 Gbps required is a very good for jump host purposes, I use it for OVH Kimsufi access and in the last weeks Deutsche Telekom's network has issues with Hetzner. My netcup RS helped me to access the gigabit up and down without packet loss:D

So the netcup strongest point is their peering. The SSD and CPU speeds still good, but a root server is a VPS with dedicated resources so it is uncomparable with a Hetzner or KS dedi. If I see OVH, Hetzner, Contabo and netcup VPS lines nc's RS has the best price-performance ratio.

• Anybody could tell me if Netcup VPS RS have admin panel only in german language or if there is a possible English language?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@kafebiwa said:
    Anybody could tell me if Netcup VPS RS have admin panel only in german language or if there is a possible English language?

When logging in I can choose between German and English.

• @jsg said:

@kafebiwa said:
    Anybody could tell me if Netcup VPS RS have admin panel only in german language or if there is a possible English language?

Thank you for reply. I will try this company. Definitely looks on paper very good, especially root server option with dedicated cores and I have hope that this is not only paper specification.

• @kafebiwa said:

@jsg said:

@kafebiwa said:

Thank you for reply. I will try this company. Definitely looks on paper very good, especially root server option with dedicated cores and I have hope that this is not only paper specification.

No papper spec. The best VDS provider for that price that I ever seen. Disk I/O, CPU availability and network are avesome. Try it and wait for the latest Tuesday in the month, because they regularly have unbeatable offers (e.g. the ssmallest RS with double SSD, 320 GB instead of 160).