Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The official twitter account of Mastodon has been suspended.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The official twitter account of Mastodon has been suspended.

Tony40Tony40 Member
edited December 2022 in News

Twitter, has suspended dozens journalists accounts today. but the suspension of Mastodon account has people furious., is see as if Elon Musk feel that his new acquire business is in danger of extinction.

https://twitter.com/joinmastodon

Thanked by 1plumberg

Comments

• didnt he buy Twitter to "promote free speech"?

• Musk suspends journalists from Twitter, claims ‘assassination’ danger

Twitter suspended the accounts of more than half a dozen journalists from CNN, the New York Times, The Washington Post and other outlets Thursday evening, as company owner Elon Musk accused the reporters of posting “basically assassination coordinates” for him and his family.

The Post has seen no evidence that any of the reporters did so.

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2022/12/15/twitter-abruptly-suspends-more-than-half-a-dozen-journalists/

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • Twitter suspends several journalists, Musk cites 'doxxing' of his jet

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitter-suspends-accounts-several-journalists-022948398.html

• Elon Musk’s Twitter Suspends and Blocks Links to Rival Mastodon

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/twitter-suspends-mastodon-account-1234648316/

• @MaxKennerly : "Took only a month for Elon to change his view on Mastodon from being joke worthy to posing such a grave threat to Twitter that he's blocking every link to every server he can find."

• Every social media site dies when it goes against the wishes of the people, or becomes a hub of propaganda.

Myspace, digg, facebook...

Thanked by 2Tony40 hostdare
  • ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted

@nikozin said:
    Every social media site dies when it goes against the wishes of the people, or becomes a hub of propaganda.

that right, they think (or elon think) need to control everything just to secure their investment.
    But people have right to talk, and if they (elon) want to cost something, just ask!! people understand, and willing to do, to keep their own space. no need to over react on everything and blame on their competitor threads.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Elon Musk is being a di*k, again.

Thanked by 2emg maverickp
  • LowEndTwitter run by @Tony40

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2022

@nikozin Facebook is more alive than before. Not sure what you mean. Most adults use FB. Maybe newer generation prefers other recent platforms but that does not equal to dead.
    If you use instagram that's also facebook.
    If you use whatsapp, that's also facebook.

Twitter will not die because of this.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• emgemg Veteran

It is not easy to feel sorry for Elon Musk, but I do empathize with the situation he is facing with Twitter. The rule-breaking, damn-the-torpedoes, "agile" management style that brought him so much success in the past is failing him now for many reasons.

Twitter is declining rapidly on so many fronts all at once. Elon Musk does not have the luxury of time to give due consideration to the impact that his reactive actions and policy changes have on the company and its users. Every action he takes ripples through Twitter with unexpected side effects that only increase the instability of the whole. Some are blaming the media, the government, political operatives, or whatever, but I think the blame lies entirely with Elon Musk.

Twitter had major problems before the Elon Musk purchase, but I wonder whether everyone would have been better off if Elon Musk has simply burned the $44 billion instead. The real winners were the shareholders of Twitter who got a huge windfall and a get-out-jail-free card to unload Twitter's problems onto Elon. The real losers were the thousands of Twitter employees and their families, whose lives were upended on the whim of one man. Many others were hurt too - users, advertisers, and partners, too, but they did not suddenly lose their income, healthcare for their families, etc.

Thanked by 4Arkas seenu arda deltatux
  • What's wrong with suspending accounts for 7 days which dox your real time location? Do you think LowEndTalk would allow me to post your current location every few hours without your permission?

Thanked by 1Mastodont
  • I fully empathise, as I wouldn't want my locaiton publically displayed all over the place - but if it's public record... No more different than the accounts/tabloids/paparazi's that track other celebrities right?

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • emgemg Veteran

@Jake4 said:
    What's wrong with suspending accounts for 7 days which dox your real time location? Do you think LowEndTalk would allow me to post your current location every few hours without your permission?

Maybe nothing is wrong with the idea or the policy. I agree that doxing is a serious threat to the victims, made worse by its anonymous nature.

What some consider wrong was that Elon did not announce the policy change in advance to give users an opportunity to stop before suspending their accounts. The practice had been going on for a long time. Elon could have announced something like, "Three days from today, we will suspend accounts that dox real time locations. Stop posting real time locations now, or your account will be suspended."

Others may question the choice of accounts and whether there were other "true" motives for the suspensions. Do not expect me to engage on that.

• Ok

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2022

Just imagine for a second someone finding and publishing the exact address and precise coordinates of Trump's Mar-a-Lago mansion in Florida -- the kind of targeted harassment, invasion of privacy, and physical threat this would enable and elicit. Any weirdo with access to guided missiles, or drones loaded with acid or whatever, could easily destroy his estate and family.

• @Jake4 said:
    What's wrong with suspending accounts for 7 days which dox your real time location? Do you think LowEndTalk would allow me to post your current location every few hours without your permission?

He would look like less of a dickhead if he hadn't explicitly highlighted that "doxxing" account as an example of the free speech that he was specifically defending.

Although not by much.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2022

@Shot2 said:
    Just imagine for a second someone finding and publishing the exact address and precise coordinates of Trump's Mar-a-Lago mansion in Florida -- the kind of targeted harassment, invasion of privacy, and physical threat this would enable and elicit. Any weirdo with access to guided missiles, or drones loaded with acid or whatever, could easily destroy his estate and family.

I got both from Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar-a-Lago

Address:
    Mar-a-Lago
    1100 S. Ocean Blvd., Palm Beach, FL 33480-5004

GPS coordinates:
    26°40′37″N 80°02′13″W

See also:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183217/launch-an-asteroid-at-earth

My gut feeling says that this is the most commonly chosen landing zone, but who knows?

-> Clarification: I am responding to a post with publicly available information. I should not have posted the other LowEndTalk link, but it was hard to resist, since it appeared only recently. I am not trying to express any opinion about the location, its occupants, or politics in general. I would call it fact that many people are unhappy with the occupants, so I think it is reasonable that people might point the asteroid there.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@nikozin said:
    Every social media site dies when it goes against the wishes of the people, or becomes a hub of propaganda.

Twitter was a hub for propaganda.

Doxing should not be allowed.

• @emg said:

So long, buddy. Nice knowing you :'(

• The banning look bad.

They look less bad when you find out the reason was for posting links to Musk's private jet tracker.

You posting real time information like that while people are in transit could get someone in trouble.

• Elon Musk Kills Twitter Audio Feature After Bizarre Talk With Journalists

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-kills-twitter-audio-feature-after-bizarre-tal-1849902405

• @tjn said:
    I fully empathise, as I wouldn't want my locaiton publically displayed all over the place - but if it's public record... No more different than the accounts/tabloids/paparazi's that track other celebrities right?

Its not public record. The location is derived from public information though.

• emgemg Veteran

@Shot2 said:
    So long, buddy. Nice knowing you :'(

Thanks. I'll miss you too. I agree that it was a dicey post, but too much fun to pass up. I hope everyone takes it in the lighthearted way that it was intended. So far, so good.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2022
    1. The free speech pretext was a joke. It is actually censorship of people not agreeing with his views;
    2. I would have made up a better pretext if I were him. It is like banning a newspaper for quoting Reuters or giving coordinates of various locations on the Earth. Wah-wah, people doxxed my address, now I won't be safe at Mar-o-Lago anymore... Or, wow, now the White House's location is not a secret anymore, traitors put it up online endangering the president and The Republic, those people must be shot!

Dafuq these "conservatives" do they have their brain "conserved" too?

That being said, Twitter is not a state institution, it is privately owned, therefore the owner can do anything he wishes as long as it is not illegal. Banning people left and right and unbanning others is completely in the owner's hands. I didn't try to come back here or contest the right of owners to ban me, just the lies they told behind my back after I have been banned.

Thanked by 2easy hostdare
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Twitter Suspends Indian Rival Platform Koo's Query Handle , Freedom of Speech lol

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Anyone can know my real time location no problemz.
    Just call me and ask!

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @yoursunny said:
    Anyone can know my real time location no problemz.
    Just call me and ask!

Start pissing off a bunch of people online and there would be some real demand for that info

• @hostdare said:
    Twitter Suspends Indian Rival Platform Koo's Query Handle , Freedom of Speech lol

koo should do the same and call it even. So should mastodon.

Thanked by 1ninjatk