Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runcloud Grandfathered pricing plans changes.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runcloud Grandfathered pricing plans changes.

Hi everyone,

Before anyone starts questioning why create such a discussion here as the pricing needs to be changed due to inflation. You should take a look at what Grandfathered pricing is and why many SaaS businesses opt for it in there pricing models.

https://chargebee.com/resources/glossaries/what-is-grandfathering/

I see lot of providers here at LET offering recurring discount on deals for there monthly/yearly plans so it's good to have a dialogue about such pricing models. :)

Coming back to Runcloud I would like to know the views of any existing Runcloud users who have been using it since it started and now Runcloud is changing the grandfathered pricing of these users.

I myself have been using various server panels like Runcloud, Ploi, Gridpane, CyberPanel, Caprover, CloudPanel, Cipi as per my needs.

Even though I use completely free panels as my first preference, I never closed my Runcloud & Ploi subscriptions even continue subscription when only just 1 server is managed using Runcloud.

I completely understand that now they have grown in size but the language they used in the email notification like they let us use there service as privilege is not right. They could have used a better language.

The focus should be on marketing and improving the service which still lacks many important features rather then squeezing out more money from the existing pro users.

I understand the prices needs a change and it doesn't matter paying a few extra bucks a year but the language of email intimation could have been better and the time given to users to make a decision is very less.

As you can see in above image they are offering $50 off to existing grandfathered users on Pro plan if paid yearly, that equals to $180-$50= $130.

And currently existing grandfathered pro users are paying $10/month that is $120/Year.

Since there is no changes been made to there current pricing why they want there all Grandfathered Pro users to make a payment $130 soon or shift to $15/month plan do you see any logic in this other then collecting some quick bucks from existing users which by my guess will be somewhere between 5K-15K subscribers who subscribed to Runcloud between 2017-2020.

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• annnnnnnnnnnnnd cancelled. Grandfathered pricing should always be honoured (IMO) sad to see....

• It's a one-time offer, so the price is still $100 this year, but it would be $150 next year.
    It's still the best offer in the market. I saw a post they would make Doker based management, the WHMCS module is on the way. Then it could be used as a cPanel alternative. That adds more value. And there is inflation.
    The software license and SaaS is really expensive these days. Runcloud is the cheap and good ones.

• @hiphiphip0 said:
    ...the WHMCS module is on the way.

Where did you hear/read that? It would be a great feature.

• @hiphiphip0 said:
    It's a one-time offer, so the price is still $100 this year, but it would be $150 next year.
    It's still the best offer in the market. I saw a post they would make Doker based management, the WHMCS module is on the way. Then it could be used as a cPanel alternative. That adds more value. And there is inflation.
    The software license and SaaS is really expensive these days. Runcloud is the cheap and good ones.

I know there was something good about Runcloud that is why myself and many others signed up when Runcloud was not even production ready. But now their are lot options available.

Also it's not about the pricing change as the changes are only for grandfathered plan, it's the way it is communicated. Currently grandfathered pro users are paying $120/year.

They offered $50 Off if existing pro users switched to the new plan so instead of $180/year they will just need to pay $130 after discount for next year.

Giving these existing customer so little time to decide and telling them that it's a privilege which Runcloud have given to the paying customers is not a good way of handling paying customers.

They should know that there are lot of production ready open source solution which are still way better in functionality that Runcloud.

This was a great learning point for myself and maybe for other users also to not depend on any one platform.

• Hardly worth the price they are trying to charge for their software, in my opinion. Not when there are better alternatives available for cheaper.

• @cloudride said:
    They offered $50 Off if existing pro users switched to the new plan so instead of $180/year they will just need to pay $130 after discount for next year.

I have confirmed with their support the $50 Off is not recurring.

• cloudridecloudride Member
    edited December 2022

@hiphiphip0 said:

@cloudride said:

I have confirmed with their support the $50 Off is not recurring.

Yes I know discount is just for the next year after that it will be regular price, Pro grandfathered users are already paying $120/year.

And any user paying yearly can get 2 free months and pay only $150/year for Pro plan.

So it's not a very special offer they are providing as a privilege to existing users since there are no changes happening to current pricing plans only modifications to grandfathered users.

Also they are not providing any details if features will not be removed from pro users in next year and they will be kept intact. As previously pro users also had Unlimited WordPress staging but then it was changed to 10 WordPress staging sites on Pro plan.

Directly login to WordPress Panel via RunCloud Hub plugin was also available in Pro plan but now it comes in Business plan.

I didn't used to previously notice such details but now I always read carefully for any SaaS solution I subscribe.

Thanked by 1hiphiphip0
  • Any time any company fucks with my grandfathered plan, it's break up time.

Bank of Montreal, never again. First, they just removed Air Miles reward without telling me. Then they increased the price and removed features, while telling me over the phone that wouldn't happen to me because it was a grandfathered plan. It seemed nobody informed the customer service that they weren't grandfathered anymore.

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited December 2022

@cloudride said:

Also they are not providing any details if features will not be removed from pro users in next year and they will be kept intact. As previously pro users also had Unlimited WordPress staging but then it was changed to 10 WordPress staging sites on Pro plan.

Directly login to WordPress Panel via RunCloud Hub plugin was also available in Pro plan but now it comes in Business plan.

I didn't used to previously notice such details but now I always read carefully for any SaaS solution I subscribe.

Thanks for pointing out that, I never noticed.
    Appearance and notification changes annoy me a bit.
    The support is faster than before but not that helpful as before. After a few rounds with support, I ended up rebuilding and redeploying one server to fix the problem. Maybe the problem I saw is too rare.
    What do you use now?
    I'm researching not to put eggs in one basket.

Thanked by 1cloudride
  • @nqservices said:
    Where did you hear/read that? It would be a great feature.

My memory is blurred. I saw one post on facebook. Vote here:
    https://features.runcloud.io/suggestions/83861/whmcs-module-for-runcloud