Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS vs Shared Hosting for WordPress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS vs Shared Hosting for WordPress

Hello,

I was browsing Racknerd's Black Friday page and was confused by my options. I'd like to host five WordPress sites, nothing fancy, just regular blogs. So, I'd like to hear your opinion on which option to choose.

1. Basic VPS - 1.5GB KVM for $16.88/yr
  2. Shared Reseller - 100GB 5 cPanel for $22.99/yr + $8/yr for Singapore
  3. Shared Hosting - 100GB 5 domains for $15.89/yr + $8/yr for Singapore

I have no experience with VPS, but I believe I will be able to manage it. But I'm not sure I want to spend that much time figuring things out.

I simply want to be able to serve pages quickly and without much bloat. I currently use static site generators like Hugo.

Also, since my blogs will be aimed at Asian audience, do I really need that extra $8/year Singapore location? Or should I just configure Cloudflare and be done with it?

Thank you very much.

Thanked by 1SiliCloud

Comments

• Also, since my blogs will be aimed at Asian audience, do I really need that extra $8/year Singapore location? Or should I just configure Cloudflare and be done with it?

Server at a near location will definitely help.

I have no experience with VPS, but I believe I will be able to manage it. But I'm not sure I want to spend that much time figuring things out.

RackNerd VPS that you have mentioned here is an unmanaged VPS. So, you should have some knowledge how to manage a VPS and host websites.

If your websites do not need too much resources, you should stick with shared hosting or reseller hosting. Shared hosting is cheap and fully managed by the hosting provider.

Thanked by 1cname
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@cname said:
    I currently use static site generators like Hugo.

Stay away from WordPress and continue use Hugo.
    Host your static site in Netlify.
    First 100 GB traffic per month is free.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2022

@cname said:

cPanel Solo is $192 per year,
    LiteSpeed Site Owner is $110 per year,
    then there is also off-site backups on Wasabi, Softaculous, KernelCare etc.

**ALL of that ** is included in Shared Hosting from Racknerd.
    If you have no experience then don't waste your time going with VPS.

VPS will be more powerful than Shared Hosting for same price, but you won't get these goodies, so if you don't know how to manage it yourself then you will lose a lot of time.

Start with Shared Hosting and if you want to learn more then get cheap VPS, learn how to use it and eventually migrate to VPS. But if you doubt your skills then choose Shared Hosting, even if you get some basic problem with Wordpress they will help you. It's much better experience for smaller sites.

You can use West Coast USA locations, they will be good for Asia too.
    If you want even cheaper RackNerd shared hosting take a look at my sig, you can easily upgrade your plan in future if you will need more.

• @yoursunny said:

@cname said:
    I currently use static site generators like Hugo.

Stay away from WordPress and continue use Hugo.
    Host your static site in Netlify.
    First 100 GB traffic per month is free.

Yes, I've been using Hugo + Netlify for over a year and it's been flawless. It's just that I've recently considered starting a niche-focused blog rather than a personal blog/documentation-style site.

I plan to use a Genesis Open Source and some basic plugins (SEO etc). I can do this with Hugo or any other static framework, but I'm not sure how well it will scale in terms of content management (seo, ui/ux, and so on).

WordPress is simple to use, but I'm not sure I'll have the same experience as Hugo. (Page load times, caching, and so on.)

• @AXYZE said:

@cname said:

VPS will be more powerful than Shared Hosting for same price, but you won't get these goodies, so if you don't know how to manage it yourself then you will lose a lot of time.

Start with Shared Hosting and if you want to learn more then get cheap VPS, learn how to use it and eventually migrate to VPS. But if you doubt your skills then choose Shared Hosting, even if you get some basic problem with Wordpress they will help you. It's much better experience for smaller sites.

If you want even cheaper RackNerd shared hosting take a look at my sig, you can easily upgrade your plan in future if you will need more.

This is the explanation I was looking for. Thank you.

Also, which is the better option between reseller and shared? Someone here suggested that it is better to host 5 websites using reseller hosting (by creating separate accounts) than to host them all on a single shared hosting account.

• hollowvi1hollowvi1 Member
    edited December 2022
  • After starting out with VPS years back, I ended up preferring shared hosting. Usually it's just way more convenient, you safe costs on panel (cPanel/DA costs..), often get JetBackup integration (daily backups) and performance can be stellar still (Ramnode Shared; HM in their good times, MyW right now..). A VPS (if not optimized) won't necessarily perform better either. Plus you have to do more maintenance etc (although ofc a lot can be automated here, too).

• @cname said:

@AXYZE said:

@cname said:

This is the explanation I was looking for. Thank you.

Also, which is the better option between reseller and shared? Someone here suggested that it is better to host 5 websites using reseller hosting (by creating separate accounts) than to host them all on a single shared hosting account.

It depends - I'll try to explain on what.

First to say that today, VPS is not really a better option, at least for WordPress. @Ympker explained that - and this is my, a lot longer and more tedious version of "is VPS really better than shared".

Regarding shared vs reseller:

Reseller hosting lets you place each website on its own cPanel/DirectAdmin account. Isolated. That can be handy for several reasons:

• One website getting hacked will not put the other websites at risk, as they are isolated from each other.
    • One plugin conflict causing crazy resource usage will not bring all the sites down - isolation, again (especially if your hosting provider is using CloudLinux as many are today).

Having said that, for 2-3 (or even 5) websites that you build properly and take a good care of, the risk may not be high. Also, if the sites are not crucial ("losing millions!"), you can afford the slightly increased risk - in order to cut some costs.

I personally prefer reseller hosting, but I don't think that good quality shared hosting is a bad idea for a few sites (again, depends on how critical they are, traffic, etc).

For a budget shared option, I would recommend CherryVM - it's awesome:
    https://manage.cherryvm.com/store/pay-as-you-go

For a budget reseller hosting - MDDHosting Turbo reseller hosting:
    https://www.mddhosting.com/reseller

Thanked by 3Ympker ariq01 cname
  • If you need cheap, and have simple websites go with: https://buyshared.net

Thanked by 1cname
  • Also, you should probably look into other options; you probably don't need 100 GB of web space. Considering that WordPress with plugins will take 100 MB plus 4 MB approx. per article, even 1 GB of hosting should be nice. You always have time to upgrade it.

• @Kodis said:
    If you need cheap, and have simple websites go with: https://buyshared.net

He can't.
    Buyshared is OOS for years.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • navneetkknavneetkk Member
    edited December 2022

100GB is complete waste, most Wordpress websites hardly use 1-2 GB of storage.
    Shared servers work good at beginning but when you push more files, WP will slow down and you will see lag even on WP-admin.

Hugo is much faster than Wordpress
    but you should definitely look for a VPS plus good setup for lightning fast Wordpress.

You can also check my similar thread - https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/182875/any-good-vps-for-wordpress-under-15-usd-a-year

• @bikegremlin said: this is my, a lot longer and more tedious version of "is VPS really better than shared".

I read the blog post, and it was very informative. Thank you for the help.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @Kodis said:

BuyShared is not accepting any new orders from March 2021

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@AXYZE said:

@cname said:

Hi @AXYZE -- Thank You for recognizing and pointing out this commonly overlooked perspective. As you've pointed out, our shared hosting is extremely feature rich, and comes with paid software that would typically cost hundreds of dollars a month if you were to try to license it all by yourself. To name a few, cPanel/WHM itself, LiteSpeed, LSCache, cpGuard, CloudLinux, KernelCare, Softaculous, MailChannels/MailBaby, JetBackup, Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage, etc etc. And with our current Black Friday specials, you can leverage all of this with a shared hosting account with us starting at just $9.49 per year :)

For low to medium sized traffic websites, or if you're just starting out, a shared hosting plan is a good place to start. Once you've outgrown shared hosting, a VPS is great to consider, and if you're willing to get your hands dirty, or give up some of the bells and whistles you're accustomed to on shared, you may be able to save some money with a VPS too. For example there are free control panels out there such as HestiaCP or CyberPanel.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @bikegremlin said:
    First to say that today, VPS is not really a better option, at least for WordPress.

I completely disagree with broad statements like that.

Not because shared hosting can't be good, but because majority in Shared Hosting market is shit, whereas in VPS majority of providers are good.

Let's look at big players.
    You go with AWS/DO/Vultr to get VPS. Will it be good?
    You go with Bluehost/Any EIG/GoDaddy to get hosting. Will it be good?

You see the pattern. With VPS its difficult to get something with awful performance, $6 High Frequency Vultr has awesome performance, whereas with Shared Hosting pretty much all of big brands provide shit service in sub-$10 category.

GoDaddy, A2Hosting, Hostinger (and pretty much all other big brands) has IO limit of 1MB/s.
    It's just 8Mb/s.
    Full HD recording with phone is usually 20Mb/s.

Customer can get "unmetered" hosting for $8/mo and this service will completely fail with streaming one single video. Even 720p HD video from phone will be too much.
    If someone wants to selfhost own cloud it will completly fail.
    If you are making site for videographer then you need to embed his video on YouTube and deal with YT quality. He pays for site and he can't put one single video on it. Such IO limits are just bullshit, completely misleading customers by giving 1/25 performance of 15 year old pendrive.

With Wordpress cache sits on RAM so IO problem can be masked to some level... but then your service will be suspended because you used "too much RAM/CPU" and company will force you to pay for managed VPS. It happened to me, it probably happened to you if you used big brand hosting.

So if we want to make broad statement - VPS is better option in terms of performance.
    You can stream like 10 videos at once without any problem on $5 Amazon Lightsail instance.

If I say "get a VPS" and you will Google it, you'll get good product. It's not the case with Shared Hosting, 10 pages in Google are filled with shit. Reddit is filled with shit.
    LET is one of the places where he can find smaller providers which indeed will deliver what you will talking about - Shared Hosting which isn't worse than VPS.

We have MyW with a lot better limits (200% CPU, 2GB RAM, 10MB/s IO), he is talking about RackNerd with 80MB/s IO. These are exceptions to the "VPS is better" rule.
    All good shared providers have maybe 5% market share, although I'm not sure if its even 2% when I see how big Bluehost/A2/GoDaddy are.

If, and only if he goes with recommended Shared Hosting he will get good service.
    I already wrote about how much he is saving by used shared service and gave him advice that he can just learn managing by himself and eventually migrate to VPS. Eventually (when problems arise), not necessarily.

And only if he goes with Shared Hosting that is recommended here, because there is no way any popular site will work nice on 1MB/s IO limit.

We can't say that "HDD SATA are superior to SATA SSDs in terms of reliability" if there is some models with HGST Enterprise grade are 2x more reliable than consumer grade. We need to look at whole market to not mislead people based on some niche product.
    Same thing with VPS vs Shared Hosting. You aren't recommending any big brands, you are recommending very small providers (compared to BlueHost etc.) which are exceptions to rule.

• @cname said: Also, since my blogs will be aimed at Asian audience, do I really need that extra $8/year Singapore location? Or should I just configure Cloudflare and be done with it?

If you have more than 2 or 3 high traffic sites, then only get racknerd reseller, or their shared hosting is also fine, 50GB space, $9.34/yr in US/EU and additional $8 in singapore.
    I'm using free cloudflare CDN and hosting in U.S Vegas (west coast) which is also as near to major asian regions.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited December 2022

@AXYZE said:

@bikegremlin said:
    First to say that today, VPS is not really a better option, at least for WordPress.

I completely disagree with broad statements like that.

Not because shared hosting can't be good, but because majority in Shared Hosting market is shit, whereas in VPS majority of providers are good.

Let's look at big players.
    You go with AWS/DO/Vultr to get VPS. Will it be good?
    You go with Bluehost/Any EIG/GoDaddy to get hosting. Will it be good?

You see the pattern. With VPS its difficult to get something with awful performance, $6 High Frequency Vultr has awesome performance, whereas with Shared Hosting pretty much all of big brands provide shit service in sub-$10 category.

GoDaddy, A2Hosting, Hostinger (and pretty much all other big brands) has IO limit of 1MB/s.
    It's just 8Mb/s.
    Full HD recording with phone is usually 20Mb/s.

Customer can get "unmetered" hosting for $8/mo and this service will completely fail with streaming one single video. Even 720p HD video from phone will be too much.
    If someone wants to selfhost own cloud it will completly fail.
    If you are making site for videographer then you need to embed his video on YouTube and deal with YT quality. He pays for site and he can't put one single video on it. Such IO limits are just bullshit, completely misleading customers by giving 1/25 performance of 15 year old pendrive.

With Wordpress cache sits on RAM so IO problem can be masked to some level... but then your service will be suspended because you used "too much RAM/CPU" and company will force you to pay for managed VPS. It happened to me, it probably happened to you if you used big brand hosting.

So if we want to make broad statement - VPS is better option in terms of performance.
    You can stream like 10 videos at once without any problem on $5 Amazon Lightsail instance.

If I say "get a VPS" and you will Google it, you'll get good product. It's not the case with Shared Hosting, 10 pages in Google are filled with shit. Reddit is filled with shit.
    LET is one of the places where he can find smaller providers which indeed will deliver what you will talking about - Shared Hosting which isn't worse than VPS.

We have MyW with a lot better limits (200% CPU, 2GB RAM, 10MB/s IO), he is talking about RackNerd with 80MB/s IO. These are exceptions to the "VPS is better" rule.
    All good shared providers have maybe 5% market share, although I'm not sure if its even 2% when I see how big Bluehost/A2/GoDaddy are.

If, and only if he goes with recommended Shared Hosting he will get good service.
    I already wrote about how much he is saving by used shared service and gave him advice that he can just learn managing by himself and eventually migrate to VPS. Eventually (when problems arise), not necessarily.

And only if he goes with Shared Hosting that is recommended here, because there is no way any popular site will work nice on 1MB/s IO limit.

We can't say that "HDD SATA are superior to SATA SSDs in terms of reliability" if there is some models with HGST Enterprise grade are 2x more reliable than consumer grade. We need to look at whole market to not mislead people based on some niche product.
    Same thing with VPS vs Shared Hosting. You aren't recommending any big brands, you are recommending very small providers (compared to BlueHost etc.) which are exceptions to rule.

Yes. There are a lot of crappy providers. If you go with a crappy one (shared or VPS), it will suck.

Comparing good shared with good VPS is what I'd call a fair, and reasonable, comparison.

You claim that there are more shitty shared hosting providers than shared VPS providers? Maybe. BTW, last time I checked, BlueHost also sold VPS hosting too.

• @henix said:

@Kodis said:

He can't.
    Buyshared is OOS for years.

sorry haven't checked, have my plan from 2015, and running without problems