Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FBI Calls Apple's Enhanced iCloud Encryption 'Deeply Concerning' Privacy Groups Hail It As a Victory
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FBI Calls Apple's Enhanced iCloud Encryption 'Deeply Concerning' Privacy Groups Hail It As a Victory

FBI Calls Apple's Enhanced iCloud Encryption 'Deeply Concerning' as Privacy Groups Hail It As a Victory for Users

Apple yesterday announced that end-to-end encryption is coming to even more sensitive types of iCloud data, including device backups, messages, photos, and more, meeting the longstanding demand of both users and privacy groups who have rallied for the company to take the significant step forward in user privacy. https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/08/fbi-privacy-groups-icloud-encryption/

Thanked by 1plumberg

Comments

• I personally feel this is just noise.
    Who knows what goes on behind the scenes at any corporation? None of the code is open and audited by an independent third party.

For what's worth, both are blowing smoke up users butt to make them feel good but secretly shared backdoor access as needed on icloud.

There is no such thing as E2E if big corporations are involved with the government

• emgemg Veteran

@plumberg said:
    I personally feel this is just noise.
    Who knows what goes on behind the scenes at any corporation? None of the code is open and audited by an independent third party.

For what's worth, both are blowing smoke up users butt to make them feel good but secretly shared backdoor access as needed on icloud.

There is no such thing as E2E if big corporations are involved with the government

With respect, I disagree.

Common sense begs the question: Why would Apple would make a specific announcement about adding end-to-end encryption if it were not true? Why would they announce that some pieces are still not protected end-to-end (contacts, calendar, email) if they were falsifying their claims about adding end-to-end encryption to the other features?

Why the timing of the announcement now?

Based on my past experience working with the various stakeholders mentioned in the article, I believe their statements regarding Apple's adding end-to-end encryption to selected iCloud features.

Is @plumberg saying that Apple would leave an intentional backdoor for law enforcement access, while simultaneously announcing that they are improving some products by adding end-to-end encryption? If they are not actually providing the end-to-end encryption that they claim, why would Apple go through the trouble of announcing it rather than staying silent? Is the risk of being uncovered really worth it, especially after a public announcement? I do not believe so, and I believe that Apple executives came to the same conclusion.

By the way, do not underestimate the FBI's grasp of the issues. They understand them very well.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @emg said:

@plumberg said:

With respect, I disagree.

Common sense begs the question: Why would Apple would make a specific announcement about adding end-to-end encryption if it were not true? Why would they announce that some pieces are still not protected end-to-end (contacts, calendar, email) if they were falsifying their claims about adding end-to-end encryption to the other features?

Why the timing of the announcement now?

Based on my past experience working with the various stakeholders mentioned in the article, I believe their statements regarding Apple's adding end-to-end encryption to selected iCloud features.

Is @plumberg saying that Apple would leave an intentional backdoor for law enforcement access, while simultaneously announcing that they are improving some products by adding end-to-end encryption? If they are not actually providing the end-to-end encryption that they claim, why would Apple go through the trouble of announcing it rather than staying silent? Is the risk of being uncovered really worth it, especially after a public announcement? I do not believe so, and I believe that Apple executives came to the same conclusion.

By the way, do not underestimate the FBI's grasp of the issues. They understand them very well.

I am just saying apple and other corporations thrive on maeketing trust and that they can make whichever claims they want in public, with less consequences.

Do they have a backdoor? Maybe
    Have they allowed independent third parties to evaluate?

Meta says that WhatsApp is E2E. Do you trust this?

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @plumberg said:

Lol yeah especially when it comes to Apple. Imagine why would US government even allow such a company when they can't snoop. The truth is Apple thrives on bullshit marketing and people drink this kool aid especially news sites and bloggers. Apple is boon for US government as they can freely snoop where people are under false sense of security.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Protip: Use the image URL next time. They even provide the link on each xkcd page.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:

You misunderstand. Apple is intentionally doing this so that law enforcement can't come to them with legal requests. They'll have to document their algorithms and what not in court to prove this. This is a money loser in all corporations. This is more greedy Apple looking after the bottom line rather than help assist solving murders for loved ones. The money courts award for compensation for labour and stuff never comes close to real cost of lawyers and smart people.

Does nobody remember the Snowden leaks? Google and Apple were all pissed because they'd get hacked themselves. They are not friends with law enforcement.

Edit: I'd watch a movie where Snowden is a CIA operative playing the long game and currently planning to overthrow the country he resides in... the sequels will be different countries like Iran and China.

• No biggie, coz we know all terrorists don't backup

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Good. Fuck the FBI. But that said, I really do like the ideas they've mentioned for still tackling CSAM within a family's iCloud account. I still like the idea of what they wanted to do, it was always the implementation that turned me off.