Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G'day from Australia! Contabo Launches New Region
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

G'day from Australia! Contabo Launches New Region

contabo_mcontabo_m Member, Patron Provider
edited December 2022 in News

We are introducing the new AUS Region that provides high-quality connectivity to those who wish to reach the Australian market and to anyone living in Australia.

All of Contabo’s flagship compute products, such as Cloud VPS, Cloud VDS, and Bare Metal Servers are now available in Sydney with No Setup Fee, including our newly launched Storage VPS!

Find out more about the new AUS Data Center and our launch promotion here.

Here’s information about migrating your existing products to AUS.

Comments

• Looking glass for Sydney please.

Thanked by 1xms
  • Who would have thought in this day and age "NO SETUP FEE" is even possible?

Goodluck!

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@plumberg said:
    Who would have thought in this day and age "NO SETUP FEE" is even possible?

Surprisingly, LowEndTalk selling rules permit having setup fees on VPS, but not on dedicated server.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

The Migration is pointless as IP address of VM will be changed:

During that downtime we reconfigure the main IP address of your server. This causes a > downtime of approximately 1 hour. Only in seldom cases the downtime can be up to 12
    hours.

There is an one-time service charge of €33.00 / $38.50 / £33.00 plus VAT (where applicable) for the migration since there is some manual effort on our end required.

to save money for users, the easiest way is to purchase identical VM and sync all the files and settings.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2022

The prices look pretty competitive for the Australian market. I don't think I've seen any other providers that can match 8 GB RAM, 50GB NVMe and 10TB monthly traffic for US$11.39/month in Australia.

You don't have prices available in Australian dollars even for the Australian servers, though? 🤔

@WebProject said: to save money for users, the easiest way is to purchase identical VM and sync all the files and settings.

Of course. The user doing a migration themselves is always going to work out cheaper than having the provider do it for them. You're paying for the convenience of having someone else do the work for you :)

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • Good start....

Thanked by 2dahartigan bdl
  • @Gravely said:
    Good start....

I have exactly the same issue with their Portsmouth UK location. Actually planning to cancel all my services with them soon

• socialzzzsocialzzz Member
    edited December 2022

@Gravely said:
    Good start....

binarylane is better for storage, they say slow hard drives but in my testing not slow faster than contabo for sure

• @socialzzz said:

@Gravely said:
    Good start....

binarylane is better for storage, they say slow hard drives but in my testing not slow faster than contabo for sure

BinaryLane are NVMe.

• @IncognitoBurrito said:

@socialzzz said:

@Gravely said:
    Good start....

BinaryLane are NVMe.

BinaryLane have HDD storage plans too.

Thanked by 1IncognitoBurrito
  • socialzzzsocialzzz Member
    edited December 2022

i find most internationals entering australia market don't offer any price benefit or performance, either use host universal for their needs or iseek but offer the same service

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2022

People always seem to dislike Contabo price/performance.

I've got two VPS servers at the moment: One with Vultr, one with Contabo.

The Contabo one is a "VPS S Storage".

€5.99 a month, 32 TB bandwidth, 200 Mbit/s, 4 GB RAM, 400 GB SSD.

I use it as a Jellyfin Media Server type set up.

Downloads what I need really fast, and never hung on me.

Soon I'll get the €10.49 800 GB one I think (since I've only got like 100 GB left).

So far, after testing some alternatives, Contabo is by far the best one so far. Other one's that are cheaper have been so slow that even transcoding subtitles only + streaming 4K (no transcoding on video) has been annoying and not working smoothly.

One downside for anyone who felt intrigued: Remember it's a German company, don't think for one second you can "mirror your Linux ISOs" like you can with Fran without proper VPN configuration.

Thanked by 1contabo_m
  • 10TB BW is impressive. Interested in a LG or test ip first though.

• According to the map, Wellington is part of Australia :smiley:

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@contabo_m hit me up if you'd like to improve your connectivity inside AU.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

This seems to be the only way currently.

• @trewq said:

Apparently using Telstra transit domestically so they have no moar moneys :wink:

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

Apparently using Telstra transit domestically so they have no moar moneys :wink:

Looks like they're using Level3 who have peering arrangements with Telstra/TPG. It's peering they are missing.

Can provide a partial transit product that advertises across our whole AU backbone including IX & PNIs ;)

Thanked by 3bdl dahartigan equalz
  • @bdl said:
    According to the map, Wellington is part of Australia :smiley:

i know i saw that too.

@contabo_m id take @trewq advice. you need to peer properly with all data centres and states. GSL for the win... premium

• @socialzzz said:

@bdl said:

i know i saw that too.

@contabo_m id take @trewq advice. you need to peer properly with all data centres and states. GSL for the win... premium

I don't believe there are any LET GSL hosts in AU?

• @Gravely said:

@socialzzz said:

@bdl said:

i know i saw that too.

I don't believe there are any LET GSL hosts in AU?

no there is not but we could only dream, unless you run from home lol

• @socialzzz said:

@bdl said:

i know i saw that too.

GSL isn't cheap though

• Take @trewq up on his offer. That ping is nasty.

Thanked by 2bdl socialzzz
  • @bdl said:

@socialzzz said:

@bdl said:

i know i saw that too.

GSL isn't cheap though

only dream haha

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2022

@contabo_m I sent in a ticket as well but considering your high load and that this issue probably is affecting a lot of clients I'd though I'd ping you here as well.

You shut http://asi-fs-u.contabo.net/ down so presumably nobody in the datacenter can update their packages without changing repos.

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2022

Edit: I had installed a software that added a Ubuntu repo to my Debian box so that made nothing work, and reomving that solved it, however, by that I had already replaced the sources.list file with Debian 11 defaults.

So it's hard to know now if the issue was the above being down, the weird Ubuntu repo added or both. Since I got the above URL in an error though (as well as the Ubuntu-related error), it must have been both?

I just want to reserve myself that maybe it was all my fault, since it probably picks another repo if the main is down by default if I didn't have a stupid Ubuntu repo in my sources.list.d directory.

Anyway, I guess the repo is better up than down?

• Cancelled my service today. What a disaster of a DC launch...

Thanked by 3Cluster bdl dahartigan
  • Yeah but your paying for their storage or ram not really their network
    Their network is obviously not impressive never has been lol.

• @hollowvi1 said:

Yeah but your paying for their storage or ram not really their network

You're paying for resources which include the network, without the network your box is useless. Regardless of the price people have different expectations. It's almost as if you post anything which comes to mind to get your post count up whether it's stupid, or not stupid

• @Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

Yeah but your paying for their storage or ram not really their network

You're paying for resources which include the network, without the network your box is useless. Regardless of the price people have different expectations. It's almost as if you post anything which comes to mind to get your post count up whether it's stupid, or not stupid

But i'm saying in the mind of contabo customers their paying for the amount of resources that are dirt cheap not really their network. Their network has always sucked so i think your post doesn't match up