Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G'day from Australia! Contabo Launches New Region - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

G'day from Australia! Contabo Launches New Region

2»

Comments

• @Gravely said: Cancelled my service today. What a disaster of a DC launch...

My server is performing well. Three possible answers:
    1. I'm lucky
    2. You're unlucky
    3. You had the wrong expectations

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

Yeah but your paying for their storage or ram not really their network
    Their network is obviously not impressive never has been lol.

You're paying for resources which include the network, without the network your box is useless. Regardless of the price people have different expectations. It's almost as if you post anything which comes to mind to get your post count up whether it's stupid, or not stupid

But i'm saying in the mind of contabo customers their paying for the amount of resources that are dirt cheap not really their network. Their network has always sucked so i think your post doesn't match up

When one provider mouths off against another provider, especially (a) in an offer thread [which is generally frowned upon in the community rules], and (b) you don't have an established reputation, it stinks of unprofessionalism, tbh, and often doesn't end well.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @tetech said:

@hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

You're paying for resources which include the network, without the network your box is useless. Regardless of the price people have different expectations. It's almost as if you post anything which comes to mind to get your post count up whether it's stupid, or not stupid

But i'm saying in the mind of contabo customers their paying for the amount of resources that are dirt cheap not really their network. Their network has always sucked so i think your post doesn't match up

When one provider mouths off against another provider, especially (a) in an offer thread [which is generally frowned upon in the community rules], and (b) you don't have an established reputation, it stinks of unprofessionalism, tbh, and often doesn't end well.

I don't understand i'm not calling contabo bad??
    What is the point of what your saying
    I like contabo i use to co-locate with them all i said was their network was never impressive up against other providers so its no shocker that this is an issue

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited December 2022

How's the connectivity to engage.cloudflareclient.com? Both IPv4 and v6. Also, any looking glass?

Thanked by 1xms
  • @hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

100+ms latency to one of the largest ISP's in Australia, I don't care how little the cost is, don't offer a Sydney-based service when you can't even get the local peering right.

• @Gravely said:

@hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

100+ms latency to one of the largest ISP's in Australia, I don't care how little the cost is, don't offer a Sydney-based service when you can't even get the local peering right.

If you need perfect peering Contabo obviously isn’t your go-to, no one is claiming that.

• @contabo_m said:
    We are introducing the new AUS Region that provides high-quality connectivity to those who wish to reach the Australian market and to anyone living in Australia.

Out of curiosity what Data center are you located in, Within Australia?

• @emgh said:

@Gravely said:

@hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

If you need perfect peering Contabo obviously isn’t your go-to, no one is claiming that.

Yeah I mean lol everyone seems to think contabo is supposed to have it right. They never had it right in any of their locations. Its decent for being cheap.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Their network is very poor. VPS performance is oversold. The main I/Os are very poor, especially 4K read and write

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited December 2022

According to bgp.tools, Contabo AUS only has transit from HE and Lumen... In Australia...

What a joke.

https://bgp.tools/prefix/154.26.152.0/21#asinfo

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @ehhthing said:
    According to bgp.tools, Contabo AUS only has transit from HE and Lumen... In Australia...

What a joke.

https://bgp.tools/prefix/154.26.152.0/21#asinfo

I mean HE is alright but idk how their latency is this high tbh. Something ofc not right.

• Did any australians previously use Contabo?
    Does Contabo AU have better ping, on average, to Australia, compared to other Contabo locations?

If both is yes, it's better than before.

I'm sure they're selling quite well.

Let's not bump this thread with "Their network isn't Google!!!" every 3 hours, we know, and, frankly. nobody claimed that it is.

• @emgh said: Let's not bump this thread with "Their network isn't Google!!!" every 3 hours, we know, and, frankly. nobody claimed that it is.

Internal peering is standard. Global Peering is prem. Contabo's Sydney location is garbage.

• bdlbdl Member
    edited December 2022

@emgh said:

@Gravely said:

@hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

100ms SYD to SYD is not imperfect peering, it's terrible. For comparison SYD to SIN is ~90ms

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @bdl said:

@emgh said:

@Gravely said:

@hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

100ms SYD to SYD is not imperfect peering, it's terrible. For comparison SYD to SIN is ~90ms

My ping from Sydney -> Vultr Singapore

• Just tried a random global ping tool, let's see the ping from Australian POPs at Bunny:

https://tools.bunny.net/latency-test?query=154.26.152.1

Again, you can show some horrible examples of routing since it's a low-end provider, but we're here to find low-end providers.

Google has one of the best networks that there is, go with them if milliseconds matter to a this extent that it's worth the extra money.

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

Welcome to Sydney, from our Sydney network:

root@office ~ # ping 154.26.153.1
    PING 154.26.153.1 (154.26.153.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 154.26.153.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=0.720 ms
    64 bytes from 154.26.153.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=0.771 ms
    64 bytes from 154.26.153.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=0.765 ms
    64 bytes from 154.26.153.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=0.784 ms
    64 bytes from 154.26.153.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=60 time=0.930 ms
    ^C
    --- 154.26.153.1 ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4074ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.720/0.794/0.930/0.071 ms

Thanked by 1emgh
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited December 2022

@Gravely said:

@bdl said:

@emgh said:

@Gravely said:

@hollowvi1 said:

@Cluster said:

@hollowvi1 said:

My ping from Sydney -> Vultr Singapore

I'm getting ~94ms ish from both AAPT IP line and Launtel (GSL) residential (!) connections in Melbourne and Sydney to Singapore :)

I wasn't disagreeing with you at all @Gravely - you did the right thing cancelling if you're getting 100ms from SYD to SYD - my point was that there's no point paying a premium for SYD hosting if SIN destinations were getting better pings than SYD! Those not in .au may not have an idea just how bad some routing can be from .au.

Thanked by 1Gravely
  • @xTom said:

^C

Sounds like a good opportunity for an offer ;)

Thanked by 1bdl
  • xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@Gravely said:

@xTom said:

^C

We can't beat them, the pricing for our upstreams are more expensive than theirs.

Thanked by 2dahartigan bdl
  • @xTom said:

@Gravely said:

@xTom said:

^C

We can't beat them, the pricing for our upstreams are more expensive than theirs.

You don't have to beat them... We're unhappy with them ;)