Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to learn about Virtualization?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to learn about Virtualization?

shunnyshunny Member
edited March 2012 in General

What is the best way to learn about virtualization technology? Such as managing/ operating OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, etc.

Comments

• Practice

• Read, read, read.. try, try, try... to gather experience.

• Hehe. Thanks for the obvious answers :P Is it better to get a cheap remote server to practice and gather experience or get a home server system? Personally, I would prefer getting a cheap remote server but have not yet found a suitable host. Any recommendations?..... I think I'm hijacking my own thread now. Oh well...

• Ahm, do it in your house, IMHO

That will minimize the possibilities of screwing the things. Unless you want to pay >$70 in a dedicated to have fun :P

• Install Virtualbox. Mess around.

• @yomero - I think I will have to resort to doing it in my house. ;) So let me throw you a question. Which virtualization do you prefer? OpenVZ, KVM, XEN, VMWare....
    From what I have learned so far OpenVZ is Para-virtualization and if done correctly, can be a very powerful. While XEN, KVM are full virtualization. Personally, I prefer KVM as so far the hosts I have been with have excellent performance with KVM. I don't think you can quite oversell with KVM no?

• @subigo - yup tried VirtualBox and tried VMWare. They are both very excellent but I want to try more of the administering it like a provider does. I know I'm miles away from being an expert at it. But want to learn and maybe start one later on in Asia where the LEB market is not very present.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

My personal choice is vmware, mostly because i've worked with it the last decade. I know its the most expensive platform if you want all features.

• @shunny i like openvz for performance ...

• @MikHo Wow, for the last decade! Must be a pro at that :) VmWare from my limited use has been great but like you said it is expensive.

• @natestamm I like OpenVZ too. Personally, if I were to run my own virtualization I would go with OpenVZ. But after a few run with multiple providers I found that OVZ is very easy to oversell and have people on the node who are abusive. The only good experience I have had are with three providers. I'm sure most people would know who the three are :P

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@shunny Im far from a pro but I do get around and since all of the customers I work with (that has some kind of virtualization) are using vmware its been fun :)