Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I buy an IP instead of looking for cheap VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I buy an IP instead of looking for cheap VPS?

KumaTeaKumaTea Member
edited November 2022 in Help

I would like an VPS of $5-10/yr, with:

• 1 vCPU
  • 256 MB RAM
  • 5 GB Disk
  • 1 dedicated IPv4

However I think there's no such deals.

As you can see what I want is basically an IP.
I have locally a PVE server with 8 cores CPU and 16 GB ram but no public IP, all I need is buy one, config nginx and forward to my local machine.

Could I buy an IP at $5/yr and somehow bind that to my local server?

Thanked by 2s12321 r6gear

Comments

• stonedstoned Member
    edited November 2022

@KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

I have locally a PVE server with 8 cores CPU and 16 GB ram but no public IP.

You can get a cheap $12/yr VPS with 1x IPv4 address.

Then you can get a domain for cheap, a few dollars.

Then you can make A/AAAA records and resolve yourdomain.com to your VPS IPv4.

Then you can use iptables to masquerade and forward all traffic to yourdomain.com to your home IP address.

This way, you can keep your home IP address secret/hidden, and use the VPS to have a public IP to forward to your house, and then you can selfhost/self serve yourself.

For example, home.yourdomain.com can resolve to VPS IP, and you can forward port 80/443 to your HOME IP, and have your PVE with nginxproxymanager container LXC, and self serve websites and web applications from home.

I'm not sure if that's what you were asking, but if so, here it is.

• @stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

Then you can use iptables to masquerade and forward all traffic to yourdomain.com to your home IP address.

This way, you can keep your home IP address secret/hidden, and use the VPS to have a public IP to forward to your house, and then you can selfhost/self serve yourself.

For example, home.yourdomain.com can resolve to VPS IP, and you can forward port 80/443 to your HOME IP, and have your PVE with nginxproxymanager container LXC, and self serve websites and web applications from home.

Hi, thank you for your advice! That's exactly what I'm doing now, except I'm using Zerotier since iptables are too hard to understand. I'm just curious of how to simplify these steps by only attach an ip.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited November 2022

768 MB KVM VPS

1 vCPU Core
    10 GB PURE SSD RAID-10 Storage
    768 MB RAM
    1000GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
    1Gbps Public Network Port
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    KVM / SolusVM Control Panel - Reboot, Reinstall, Manage rDNS,

$ 10.28 USD Annually
    ORDER LINK (aff link)

Here is the non-aff link

Find more at RacknerdTracker.com
    This would work perfectly for what you want. There are a bunch of locations to choose from. The provider is RackNerd.

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited November 2022

@KumaTea said:

@stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

Hi, thank you for your advice! That's exactly what I'm doing now, except I'm using Zerotier since iptables are too hard to understand. I'm just curious of how to simplify these steps by only attach an ip.

iptables are pretty easy to use. Here are some examples. You can buy blocks of IPs. Not sure how you can get a single IP. You can however, get IPv6 and have tons of those for free. Even with a tunnel.

## Forward IPs
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -d VPS_IP_HERE  --to-destination HOME_IP_HERE

## Forward Ports from one port to another IP:port (From VPS to Home)
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i YOUR_IFACE_NAME -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination HOME_IP_HERE:80

## Forward Ports (vmbr0 for your PVE)
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination PVE_CONTAINER_IP_HERE:80
    sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -o vmbr0 -j SNAT --to-source VPS_IP
    sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

• @KumaTea said: Could I buy an IP at $5/yr and somehow bind that to my local server?

In general, no, no one will sell you a single IPv4 alone, and certainly not for $5/y

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • @Abd said: VPS - NAT256 - Los Angeles, New York | Netherlands, Poland, France, Germany | Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan) Flat 40% OFF on all annual plans! coupon 40OFFBF22

If your web application uses Port 80/443, NAT VPS + Domain forwarding is an even cheaper option. You can use Cloudflare if needed.
    NAT VPS does not provide dedicated IPv4, but it comes close to your budget.

Thanked by 2Abd KumaTea
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If you only need web hosting and nothing else, you don't need a static IP.
    Install cloudflared.
    It will create outbound tunnel that accepts incoming HTTP requests.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-one/connections/connect-apps

Thanked by 3Abd KumaTea User1
  • @stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

will a vps+vpn server better? :smiley:

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • @s12321 said:

@stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

will a vps+vpn server better? :smiley:

Wireguard would be best, yes. This was just a barebones example~ish.

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • @KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

I have locally a PVE server with 8 cores CPU and 16 GB ram but no public IP, all I need is buy one, config nginx and forward to my local machine.

the answer is no. an ip cost more than a cheap deal, and you cannot only purchase an ip. but you can talk to your isp, if they can assign one for you (or you pay them).

Get a vps setup is easier and cheaper and depending on which region and deal of year. :smiley:

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • s12321s12321 Member
    edited November 2022

@stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

@stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

iptables are pretty easy to use. Here are some examples. You can buy blocks of IPs. Not sure how you can get a single IP. You can however, get IPv6 and have tons of those for free. Even with a tunnel.

## Forward IPs
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -d VPS_IP_HERE  --to-destination HOME_IP_HERE

sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i YOUR_IFACE_NAME -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination HOME_IP_HERE:80

sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination PVE_CONTAINER_IP_HERE:80
    sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -o vmbr0 -j SNAT --to-source VPS_IP

@stoned will this setup work? @KumaTea doesn't have an public ipv4/6 at the PVE sever, assuming @KumaTea host his PVE server in a office :joy: :wink: . The server needs to jailbreak all the gateway security and play with outsider. :innocent:

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • Have you asked your ISP about acquiring a static IP?

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • vitalis3vitalis3 Member
    edited November 2022

@s12321 said:

@stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

@stoned said:

@KumaTea said:

• 1 vCPU
    • 256 MB RAM
    • 5 GB Disk
    • 1 dedicated IPv4

## Forward IPs

@stoned will this setup work? @KumaTea doesn't have an public ipv4/6 at the PVE sever, assuming @KumaTea host his PVE server in a office :joy: :wink: . The server needs to jailbreak all the gateway security and play with outsider. :innocent:

No, @stoned (Hash Borgir/Atir Javid; QQ) doesn't know what he's doing. This setup will not work, and will even lock you out of your VPS.

To start off with, ensure that ufw/your existing netfilter ruleset is empty. Establish a wireguard tunnel, and set AllowedIPs to 0.0.0.0/0 and Table to 10 on the client side. On the server-side, AllowedIPs should be set to [VM_IP]/32.

Since you don't want to direct all traffic through the tunnel, matching based on the source port is the best approach. So, per port, add in a rule: ip rule add from [vm_ip]/32 sport [port] lookup 10.

On the wireguard host, you will need a DNAT rule: iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -d [vps_ip]/32 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 80,443 -j DNAT --to-destination [vm_ip].

You're done! Don't forget that Hash has been an "exim sysadmin" for over a decade (waiting on the tunnelbroker-being-used-as-a-proxy alts) :^)

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • @vitalis3 said: On the wireguard host, you will need a DNAT rule: iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -d [vps_ip]/32 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 80,443 -j DNAT --to-destination [vm_ip].

Can't fix this now, but it should be in the PREROUTING chain.

Thanked by 1KumaTea
  • @Toonces said:
    Have you asked your ISP about acquiring a static IP?

That's even more expensive than 10 dedicated servers I'm afraid...

• Your needs are similar to intranet penetration, usually you can use frp, but there is a simpler, free and efficient way to do it, and it is "cloudflare tunnel".
    I don't know much about pve, but a friend guided me to install pve in Debian before, and to install mac in pve, I mapped the mac's intranet to a port on my Debian public network. Successfully connected to the mac through vncviewer
    I recently learned about "cloudflare tunnel" and realized that I could use the VNC feature of cloudflare zero trust tunnel to remotely control pve's mac

The surprise is that when I finished writing the above, I suddenly thought of a method that can achieve your needs in about 3 minutes, just add a rule in cloudflare zero trust tunnel to map 127.0.0.1:8006 to the public network through the domain name access.

After that, you just need to run a command on your computer to start cloudflared, you can access your intranet pve through "pve.mjjicu.com" on the public network

If you need to contact me, my telegram:@tangluya,I can discuss this issue with you, free of charge!

Thanked by 1KumaTea