Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I use vps for converting videos?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I use vps for converting videos?

JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
edited October 2013 in Help

I want to convert many videos using my vps..
can I know, when I converting videos, will it affect the performance of the other vps on the server?
Im using handbrake and converting process take about 3-4 hours per videos..
is there anyone have any experience on this???

the reason I dont use dedi is because Im not making any profit. so, it just wasting money buying dedi just for converting movies..

Comments

• You shouldn't. Your provider most likely won't approve of it.

• Sounds CPU intensive. If you're utilizing 100% of your CPU during the conversion, it may affect others on the VPS host node.

• so, the safest way using dedi?

• To avoid resource abuse problems, yes, your safest bet would be to get a dedi for your conversions.

• dedi are too expensive..

• If you try video encoding on a VPS, the host will find you VERY quickly, and they will not be pleased. You can get Dedicated Servers for fairly cheap, assuming you don't want super high-end specs. Check out WSI's server list. https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/ Core 2 Duo Grab Bag for $27/month. C2Q for only $35 per month. And a Dual L5420 for only $45 per month. A Dual L5420 would likely serve your needs VERY well. I have an older PowerEdge 2950 w/ Dual X5355's doing Video Encoding and Live Streaming for a community project. Got it for $300 off eBay, with 6x 73GB 15k RPM SAS drives AND rails! If you really wanted to, you could buy your own server and just Colo it.

• x16x16 Member

you can use xen vps

• well> @Magiobiwan said:

If you try video encoding on a VPS, the host will find you VERY quickly, and they will not be pleased. You can get Dedicated Servers for fairly cheap, assuming you don't want super high-end specs. Check out WSI's server list. https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/ Core 2 Duo Grab Bag for $27/month. C2Q for only $35 per month. And a Dual L5420 for only $45 per month. A Dual L5420 would likely serve your needs VERY well. I have an older PowerEdge 2950 w/ Dual X5355's doing Video Encoding and Live Streaming for a community project. Got it for $300 off eBay, with 6x 73GB 15k RPM SAS drives AND rails! If you really wanted to, you could buy your own server and just Colo it.

that still out off my budget :/
    I just use it personally and Im not making any profit.. can you see this? http://www.firstheberg.com/serveur-dedie-intel-atom
    I found it somewhere on this forum.. can I use it for converting?

• @x16 said:
    you can use xen vps

xen? are you sure it will not affect other client?

• x16x16 Member

@psycholyzern said:
    xen? are you sure it will not affect other client?

some provider limit cpu frequency,maybe 1ghz, but not cheap. So you can take full usage

• x16x16 Member

Or you can take VPS which powered by vmware tech.It less effect others.I own this kind one , high cpu usage for 2 month, no suspend. 1~2ghz cpu, 1g memory, about 10~20$

• You can always try to use cpulimit to limit the cpu usage and maintain this under 75% or the limit of your service provider.

http://www.linuxcertif.com/man/1/cpulimit/

Amazon Elastic Transcoder is cool and pretty cheap if you want to convert files only occasionally.

http://aws.amazon.com/elastictranscoder/?navclick=true

• I can sort you out a VPS for this one of my other clients do it as we limit CPU usage anyway to clients. You can see our plans at http://bigrobsweb.co.uk

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Ask the host you have your vps with if the can monitor the vps while you are converting and ask them to shut it down if it effects other users.
    If they think its to much cpu usage, ask them to limit your cpu if thats ok withthe provider.

Many providers will work with you if you ask BEFORE you try something like that.

• All depends on the policies of the provider. Some may be ok with it if they have advanced CPU limits (eg).

• I didnt know that we can limit the cpu usage.. amazing..
    I will try that. can I get dedi with budget about 10-15 dollar?? If cant, vps with cpulimit is my last options :p

• @psycholyzern said:
    dedi are too expensive..

Too bad :) Video transcoding is not only cpu intensive but also disk intensive.

If you do it enough then your neighbours on the node will suffer.

Your choices IMO are: get a dedi, do it at home on your own hardware, or don't do it at all.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

buy a raspberry pi, cost less then 1$ energy per month.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Infinity580 said:
    buy a raspberry pi, cost less then 1$ energy per month.

Yeah, a Raspberry Pi would be a GREAT machine for encoding.

• @Nyr said:
    Yeah, a Raspberry Pi would be a GREAT machine for encoding.

Sarcasm yes?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@David_P said:
    Sarcasm yes?

Obviously :P

• I think you might just be better of doing it at home, your system at home likely has more CPU resources available that you can "use" 100% of the time. Unless if your running an atom at home a vps will take longer to encode it anyways if you don't want the host kicking you off their service.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2013

home/dedicated would be the way to go, but you could theoretically run it on (multiple) VPS' providing you throttle the CPU usage. You could distribute your jobs to do using multiple VPS', or if on the one box, set ulimit -t to only use X number of seconds and ask your hosting provider what an approptiate percentage of CPU time could be allocated to you.

e.g. if 5% of CPU then you could have it running for 3 seconds every minute. That way the host is happy and the other users of the VPS get fair usage.

Not ideal to be fair, as already said there's some cheap dedicated options out there, and some providers do offer a hard limit on CPU usage so you dont have to worry about abusing CPU usage

• I can run on my home pc.. but, the internet connection is the problem.. I am only using broadband that doesnt have speed like remote server does.. I like to keep the converted videos to share with my friends.

• http://volumedrive.com/vdrive/?a=dedicated

The $19.95/mo AMD Athlon X2 4200+ is probably as cheap as it gets...

• GunterGunter Member
    edited October 2013

Could you just not?

Either fork the cash for a dedi or stop complaining that you're not allowed to abuse node resources.

• @darknyan said:
    Could you just not?

Either fork the cash for a dedi or stop complaining that you're not allowed to abuse node resources.

well, I will try that cpulimit.. maybe I wil try to increase my budget.. I got some vps that rarely use. budget calculation will be made :)

• GunterGunter Member
    edited October 2013

@psycholyzern said:
    well, I will try that cpulimit.. maybe I wil try to increase my budget.. I got some vps that rarely use. budget calculation will be made :)

I mean if you're only doing 1-2/month, then CPULimit will be fine, but it seems like you will be doing this frequently.

But it seems that you're using this to re-encode copyrighted content, and then distribute it on Pass The Popcorn or a similar tracker, seeing as you aren't uploading original content to it (your connection is too slow apparently).

• @darknyan said:
    But it seems that you're using this to re-encode copyrighted content, and then distribute it on Pass The Popcorn or a similar tracker, seeing as you aren't uploading original content to it (your connection is too slow apparently).

actually, Im just leeching movies torrent and reencode them to smaller size because I got no fast internet to download big files.. so, I just reencode them and turn into direct link.. just for me and for my friends who had same problem with me.. Im not uploading them somewhere else, instead, I store the movies on the server and delete it when I downloaded it.. I got server for seedbox, I just need server to converting movies..
    btw, I am thinking to switch over to dedi.. can you share any offer that lowest can you find? I traveled from to forum but the cheapest fome from virtualdrive, wsi, online.net, digicube, ovh... if no option available, I may buy a dedi..
    but, I just think about how will the dedi will operated because I got no experience on dedi.. just on openvz vps.. it will take long time to learn on how to configure the server

• @psycholyzern said:
    can you share any offer that lowest can you find? I traveled from to forum but the cheapest fome from virtualdrive, wsi, online.net, digicube, ovh... if no option available, I may buy a dedi

I did mention volumedrive $19/mo is probably the cheapest you're going to find! don't bother with an atom or a P4 server it would be too slow, buy the dedi with proxmox installed and create a OVZ or KVM so if you goof up you can just delete the VM instead of having to reinstall the OS on the main server..