Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I use vps for converting videos? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I use vps for converting videos?

2»

Comments

• I never had any experience with dedi.. doesit have any panel when I bought it?? like solusvm or something?? or, I had to use ssh all the time?

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

If you get a dedi and choose proxmox as the OS you would get a panel that looks like this..

it's pretty much similar to solusvm where you can create and destroy your VPS without touching your server's OS

• @psycholyzern said:
    but, I just think about how will the dedi will operated because I got no experience on dedi.. just on openvz vps.. it will take long time to learn on how to configure the server

Hopefully the movies are not copyrighted? lol

• @ErrantWeb said:
    Hopefully the movies are not copyrighted? lol

most of them copyrghted :p
    many provider that I used before, they said, they will only terminate my vps if they receive any complaints about the material I hosted :)
    so it wouldnt be any problem because I just use it personally

• Another possibility would be to use EC2 spot instances. Amazon doesn't care how much CPU you use on their instances and they even have instances for CPU-intensive tasks.

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/#instance-details

• @earl said:
    If you get a dedi and choose proxmox as the OS you would get a panel that looks like this..

it's pretty much similar to solusvm where you can create and destroy your VPS without touching your server's OS

so, you are saying that I can create and destroy the mini server by clicking button or something? thats great.. but, can I install centos using proxmox?

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

yeah.. you can download premade ovz templates, like Debian, Centos, Ubuntu from the control panel or upload an ISO of your choice for KVM.. I'ts just like solusvm

• I may get a dedi .. but I have to get rid of some my vps. to reduce my cost :)

@earl said:
    yeah.. you can download premade ovz templates, like Debian, Centos, Ubuntu from the control panel or upload an ISO of your choice for KVM.. I'ts just like solusvm

I have to download to my pc and upload it again or I can download directly to the dedi?

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

you do it directly on the server..

@psycholyzern said:
    I may get a dedi .. but I have to get rid of some my vps. to reduce my cost :)

>

I have to download to my pc and upload it again or I can download directly to the dedi?

$20/mo is like 67 cents per day!

• @earl said:
    you do it directly on the server..

$20/mo is like 67 cents per day!

directly on the server?? sounds good..

I got several vps.. I want to take them down before get a dedi..

• @psycholyzern said:
    I got several vps.. I want to take them down before get a dedi..

So you convert the movies on the server and you would download it to watch it? or can you watch it directly online like with clipbucket?

• I seriously advise against getting any form of server if you cannot live without a panel.

• @earl said:

I just download it.. I hate online streaming because I got slow connection..

• @darknyan said:
    I seriously advise against getting any form of server if you cannot live without a panel.

I can if there is any guide on how to manage them..
    but, can I get a dedi, install centos on it, put virtualmin and after that, use it like I use vps.. can I?
    or, there are soooo many to configure before I can use it successfully?

• GunterGunter Member
    edited October 2013

Being said, I use Ajenti and Webmin occasionally. Nothing really wrong with that. Not sure what you'd want Virtualmin for unless you were web hosting.

But a Dedicated server is entirely different from a OpenVZ VPS.

An OpenVZ VPS is generally plug and play. Networking is configured by default, SSH is ready to go, and you can reinstall your entire VPS in less than 1.5 minutes if you mess up. Most providers will have RAID 10, and make sure your data doesn't get completely wiped because of a failing HDD. Providers take care of things like RAID and bare metal stuff, and ensure that the node is up to a certain standard.

With Dedicated Servers, you're literally controlling something on bare metal, and there's a lot of manual configuration (or virtually none) depending on the outcome you want.

• @darknyan said:
    With Dedicated Servers, you're literally controlling something on bare metal, and there's a lot of manual configuration (or virtually none) depending on the outcome you want.

gulp.. sounds hard.. hmm

• @psycholyzern
    a did encoding on a lot of vps providers container without getting kicked out (and i mean 128-256 mb yearly vps-s.

The trick to do this is to use cpulimit. I use cpulimit in the background to limit my ffmpeg encode. The most important thing is to know the exact limits you can use, and also to know that the encode will be hella slow (depending on what you do, i do regular x264 encodes).

For example, you bought a vps at ExampleVps, which provides 4 shared cores for you. Now you send in a support ticket, asking what is the percentage of cpu power which can be used 24/7 by one container. My current provider said: one core 85%, so i set ffmpeg to one core and limit it by cpulimit to !80! percent (because of little pikes, the average will be sure under 85)
    This way i can encode 24/7. One thing you should learn if you encode on a small vps: be patient, and learn batch encoding by shell (so you don't waste even a second when you sleep or work... one work is finished, the system starts the second, and you are good to go)

• @mahjong said:
    psycholyzern
    a did encoding on a lot of vps providers container without getting kicked out (and i mean 128-256 mb yearly vps-s.

The trick to do this is to use cpulimit. I use cpulimit in the background to limit my ffmpeg encode. The most important thing is to know the exact limits you can use, and also to know that the encode will be hella slow (depending on what you do, i do regular x264 encodes).

For example, you bought a vps at ExampleVps, which provides 4 shared cores for you. Now you send in a support ticket, asking what is the percentage of cpu power which can be used 24/7 by one container. My current provider said: one core 85%, so i set ffmpeg to one core and limit it by cpulimit to !80! percent (because of little pikes, the average will be sure under 85)
    This way i can encode 24/7. One thing you should learn if you encode on a small vps: be patient, and learn batch encoding by shell (so you don't waste even a second when you sleep or work... one work is finished, the system starts the second, and you are good to go)

the cpulimit, is it work successfully??? will it really limit my usage ?? Im encoding in x264 too..

• yes, it will limit, but you have to know the exact limit that is allowed to use 24/7. 100% is not allowed, just for a very short time (few minutes)

• When it iis limiting my usage? what will happen to my process running? like the video encoded, will they become slower or somethng?