Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IONOS refusing to show domain transfer code?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IONOS refusing to show domain transfer code?

oddmariooddmario Member
edited November 2022 in General

Hello,

I own a .gg domain with 1&1 IONOS and I want to transfer it to a different registrar

One normal thing isn't it? no it's not. IONOS is making it seem like an odd thing to do, because I've been trying to view my domain transfer authorization code on their control panel but no codes are showing at all

When I contacted their support team this is the response I got from them:

I have checked your account and I can see that you have a domain xxx.gg.

I have checked the control panel I can see also that there was no auth code showing. This type of domain might not use an authorization code.

If you want other provider to host your email and/or website, you may change the name server of the domain in your control panel by going to the Name Server section.

At first I believed them actually. I believed that .gg domains aren't transferable till I saw that all the other registrars accept .gg transfers from any other provider without any issues (even IONOS themselves do that as well which makes it funnier)

Is this normal? Do they have the rights to keep me stuck with them like that? And if they don't, is there a higher organization that I can report this to? (ICANN potentially?)

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

ICANN transfer policy rule 5.3 requires losing registrar to release Auth-Code within 5 days.
    This is regardless of whether you owe them money.
    However, they are not obligated to respond to you via ticket or chat.
    You may have to send them certified letter.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • This type of domain might not use an authorization code.

Sorry, may be this is silly question, but did you verify this claim?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Point them to this: https://www.channelisles.net/legal/complaints

In order to transfer your domain name between registrars, you should ask the existing registrar to give you an 'Authorisation Code' which you should then give to the new registrar. The transfer will then happen automaticall and we are not involved. (You can also ask the new reqistrar to request transfer from the existing registrar, but this requires the existing registrar actively to accept the request).

Island Networks is responsible for both .gg and .je.

Thanked by 1TODO
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Keeping domain customers locked in is their signature move. Never use them again.

Thanked by 2TODO nick_
  • jperkinsjperkins Member
    edited November 2022

I got 1&1 aka ionos when they first setup camp in usa in early 2000's . got it free for 3 years. . loved the unlimited web space with ssh access . Spent nearly 20 years with them.

I left them when I found LEB due to Billing, lies, incompetence

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited November 2022

Never ever use 1&1 / IONOS. They make it extremely difficult to leave. They basically refused to give me the auth code for a .com domain. I had to get ICANN involved to resolve it.

Thanked by 1TODO
  • For those getting problem with getting the auth code, did you get your domain name alone, or within a hosting package ?

• @jperkins said:
    I got 1&1 aka ionos when they first setup camp in usa in early 2000's . got it free for 3 years. . loved the unlimited web space with ssh access . Spent nearly 20 years with them.

When they first came to the US they had a great deal on .us domains. I got several from them. I didn't renew a few and they started sending me letters that they were going to send me to collections. I never responded and nothing ever happened. I just thought that it was weird for a domain registrar to do.

• oddmariooddmario Member
    edited November 2022

@yoursunny said:
    ICANN transfer policy rule 5.3 requires losing registrar to release Auth-Code within 5 days.
    This is regardless of whether you owe them money.
    However, they are not obligated to respond to you via ticket or chat.
    You may have to send them certified letter.

But why do they have to make me reach to that phase of sending them a letter when they could provide the EPP code directly in their control panel? that's the main purpose of this topic here.

@SteveMC said:

This type of domain might not use an authorization code.

Sorry, may be this is silly question, but did you verify this claim?

Sorry but I'm unable to understand your question. The part you quoted is a quote from the email they sent me, so you probably have to ask them this? I replied with a similar question like yours anyway.

@DP said:
    Point them to this: https://www.channelisles.net/legal/complaints

In order to transfer your domain name between registrars, you should ask the existing registrar to give you an 'Authorisation Code' which you should then give to the new registrar. The transfer will then happen automaticall and we are not involved. (You can also ask the new reqistrar to request transfer from the existing registrar, but this requires the existing registrar actively to accept the request).

Island Networks is responsible for both .gg and .je.

Will do if they started going with their excuses :) Thank you

@jar said:
    Keeping domain customers locked in is their signature move. Never use them again.

Unfortunately it was too late when I realised this. Will make sure to keep this in mind from now on

@jperkins said:

Yeah indeed. Doing a few searches after my experience with them, I understood how they follow a very sketchy sales and marketing technique. A bit sad especially that they're one of the leading companies when it comes to hosting

@Daniel15 said:
    Never ever use 1&1 / IONOS. They make it extremely difficult to leave. They basically refused to give me the auth code for a .com domain. I had to get ICANN involved to resolve it.

Let's hope we won't have to do this

@SteveMC said:
    For those getting problem with getting the auth code, did you get your domain name alone, or within a hosting package ?

Both products (the hosting package and the domain) were ordered individually in my case.

@spun said:

@jperkins said:

When they first came to the US they had a great deal on .us domains. I got several from them. I didn't renew a few and they started sending me letters that they were going to send me to collections. I never responded and nothing ever happened. I just thought that it was weird for a domain registrar to do.

A normal registrar would just let the domain go through its phases of expiry till it becomes free for registration again. Guess IONOS isn't a normal registrar 😭

• Years ago I transfered a domain from them without problems. Unintuitive interface, but it did work.

I wrote a step-by-step tutorial, but can’t confirm if it is still relevant:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/7664/domain-transfer/

• Ionos sometimes sends code via email instead of displacing it in control panel.
    have opened the transfer-lock and clicked to display tranfer/epp code?

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @bikegremlin said:
    Years ago I transfered a domain from them without problems. Unintuitive interface, but it did work.

I follow the steps correctly and everything goes fine till I click the "View authorization code" text, I can see everything in the modal box except for the parts surrounded by circles:

@JasonM said:
    Ionos sometimes sends code via email instead of displacing it in control panel.

Haven't received anything by email, nope.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @oddmario said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Years ago I transfered a domain from them without problems. Unintuitive interface, but it did work.

I follow the steps correctly and everything goes fine till I click the "View authorization code" text, I can see everything in the modal box except for the parts surrounded by circles:

@JasonM said:
    Ionos sometimes sends code via email instead of displacing it in control panel.

Haven't received anything by email, nope.

Hmm, is the domain under 60 days old (or has been renewed in the last 60 days)?

• Someone mentioned earlier about whether you've verified what IONOS said... I believe what they meant was, have you actually tried to transfer the domain?

A lot of domains do not require a transfer code to transfer - you need to only verify that the domain is unlocked. The TLD .gg may well be one of these domains, and so in that case it's normal that no transfer code will arrive, so before you start assuming that IONOS are being shifty, check first to see if you're able to transfer the domain.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • For what it's worth, this site would indicate that an EPP is needed:
    https://wiki.hexonet.net/wiki/GG#Domain_Transfer

You should attempt the transfer nevertheless, but otherwise you'll need to push for a transfer code from the existing registrar.

• @cagsmith said:
    For what it's worth, this site would indicate that an EPP is needed:
    https://wiki.hexonet.net/wiki/GG#Domain_Transfer

You should attempt the transfer nevertheless, but otherwise you'll need to push for a transfer code from the existing registrar.

Welcome.

• @cagsmith said: Someone mentioned

Someone yourself :angry:

• emgemg Veteran

I have had registrar resistance to transfers in the past. Not that it matters, but they all were from TLDs like ".com" and ".org".

Although I was able to get my registrar to react after some persistence on my part, I also learned that ICANN has policies about registrars and domain transfers. According to ICANN, the registrar has five days to provide an auth code or an explanation for why they did not provide it. See:

General ICANN Policies about Domain Transfers:
    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/registrars/transfers-en

Read this first ->
    ICANN FAQ about Domain Transfers:
    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en

How to Submit a Complain to ICANN:
    https://www.icann.org/compliance/complaint