Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ClouDNS price hike
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ClouDNS price hike

bohdansbohdans Member
edited November 2022 in General

Just got the following email

Hello, Bohdans!

We want to inform you that your current plan "DDoS 5 Plus" is no longer supported. After your subscription expires, you will be able to use one of our available DDoS Protected DNS plans.

In your subscription page you can find a plan suggestion that perfectly fits your needs. You can change your plan just with one click!

If you have any questions, please get in touch with our 24/7 Live Chat support team. For a custom offer please send a message at [email protected].

Thank you for your confidence!

Best wishes!
ClouDNS team`

The plan they are offering is 4x the old plan price for pretty much the same thing.
Anyone recommend a good (not Cloudflare) DNS provided that is reasonably priced for a few hobby (low usage) domains?

Comments

• whats the reason you dont want to use cf for hobby domains?

• I make it a habit to try and not use Google or Cloudflare when ever possible.
    It adds an extra challenge ;) and helps support the now much smaller and quickly decreasing number of competitors.

• Serious question - Why would a person pay for ClouDNS when Cloudflare is such a superior product in its free form?

Thanked by 3jazzii lentro greentea
  • @Gravely said:
    Serious question - Why would a person pay for ClouDNS when Cloudflare is such a superior product in its free form?

Yes. Everyone should use one service. Fantastic for the internet......

• BunnyDNS is solid and practically free

• vultr.com has free anycast DNS with DDOS

Thanked by 2bohdans Hayashima
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@bohdans said: Anyone recommend a good (not Cloudflare) DNS provided that is reasonably priced for a few hobby (low usage) domains?

dns.he.net or freedns.afraid.org - they’re both free.

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited November 2022

Vercel and Netlify offer anycast DNS from ns1 for free.

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • @Gravely said:
    Serious question - Why would a person pay for ClouDNS when Cloudflare is such a superior product in its free form?

The OP is doing their part voicing against a monopoly :)

Thanked by 3Gravely ariq01 bohdans
  • namecheap dns

• Another recommendation for BunnyDNS. Solid product from an awesome team

• When small service provider act dicky you should be morally safe to abandon it for the bigger provider. And in this case - cloudflare, is by far, the most superior option from all offered here. Maybe NS1.com comes close, but the price is to damn high.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @LTniger said:
    When small service provider act dicky you should be morally safe to abandon it for the bigger provider. And in this case - cloudflare, is by far, the most superior option from all offered here. Maybe NS1.com comes close, but the price is to damn high.

Vercel = NS1 free, no?

• emgemg Veteran

I use freedns.afraid.org for DNS and will personally vouch for the owner. I use it to track the dynamic public IP address of my home internet connection for remote access in particular.

Your domain registrar probably offers free DNS services. Every registrar seems to have a different web interface to access it, but it always seems like an easy solution.

If you have a shared hosting plan somewhere, you might be able to use their DNS services as well.

If you have a VPS or server on the internet, you can configure it as a DNS server. You will have to maintain it yourself to keep it secure and prevent it from being abused.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited November 2022

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:
    When small service provider act dicky you should be morally safe to abandon it for the bigger provider. And in this case - cloudflare, is by far, the most superior option from all offered here. Maybe NS1.com comes close, but the price is to damn high.

Vercel = NS1 free, no?

It is hard to say what is VErcel from their webpage, but if you find that there is DNS service for free and it is from NS1.com -- use it. NS1.com is some serious shite out here.

• @LTniger said:

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:

Vercel = NS1 free, no?

It is hard to say what is VErcel from their webpage, but if you find that there is DNS service for free and it is from NS1.com -- use it. NS1.com is some serious shite out here.

Vercel is mainly to deploy Next.js apps. Vercel maintains Next.js. I think their DNS-part is fully free.

• The price hike went live since beginning of october. Their premium DNS got up from 1.99/m to 2.99/m.

• You may take a look at BunnyDNS

• seb1gseb1g Member
    edited November 2022

https://dns.he.net is the way to go

• @LTniger said:
    And in this case - cloudflare, is by far, the most superior option from all offered here. Maybe NS1.com comes close, but the price is to damn high.

Surely $45 per million queries over 500k is highly competitive and cost effective for their "free" plan.

• I've been loving Cloudns for years now because of their "Cloud Domains" feature where I can just setup 1 zone and then add / remove other domains as I need that will all share/use the same records.

Maybe reach out to their support and inquire about a custom plan if you dont need everything your plan offers and only certain features?

I haven't gotten a price increase email from them but am only using a standard level plan with a custom package for $3 a month:

• @LTniger said:

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:

Vercel = NS1 free, no?

# dig ns1.vercel-dns.com +short
    # whois 198.51.44.13
    NetRange:       198.51.44.0 - 198.51.45.255
    CIDR:           198.51.44.0/23
    NetName:        NSONE-DNS
    NetHandle:      NET-198-51-44-0-1
    Parent:         NET198 (NET-198-0-0-0-0)
    NetType:        Direct Allocation
    OriginAS:       AS62597
    Organization:   NSONE Inc (NSONE)
    RegDate:        2013-08-07
    Updated:        2021-12-14
    Comment:        http://nsone.net
    Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/198.51.44.0

Thanked by 2Levi bulbasaur
  • @analog wow thats an amazing custom plan! I was paying that BEFORE the increase for only 5 domains. I have contacted support and being told "this is your only choice".
    I am aware domain providers have free DNS, but i liked having a central place for all my domains DNS, rather than logging onto each providers interface (I have some regional domains).
    I looked at NS1, but the overage scared me, in the (unlikely) case I got DDoS the I could be up for a huge bill.
    Most my domains are with Porkbun which is now Cloudflare DNS, so that is out.
    freedns.afraid.org is goodm but $60/yr for only 3 "stealth" domains, I wouldn't want my domains listed for others to use and have more than 3.
    Seems I had a good things for a while, and now I need it suck it up and compromise lol
    I used to use HE but a few outages a few years ago put me off, but I think that is currently my best non-cloudflare option.
    I had an account with Bunny.net but it seems they expired my promo credit and now I can not try anything with toping up $25. So its probably down to HE or Bunny.
    Does anyone know if Bunny supports wildcard DNS entries? I have been lazy and using them with Traefik for docker deployments.

• @bohdans said: freedns.afraid.org is goodm but $60/yr for only 3 "stealth" domains

What are stealth domains?

• Stealth domains are domains with DNS hosted at freedns.afraid.org but unavailable for other people to use. By default any domain you list others can also create records for and use.

• @bohdans said:
    @analog wow thats an amazing custom plan! I was paying that BEFORE the increase for only 5 domains.

Havent looked at their plans on a while and just checked to see what they are now. Maybe I just got lucky by locking into the plan in 2018; my account with them is from 2013 i think too.

I mainly only use them nowadays for cloud domains and thats all.

• josephbjosephb Member
    edited November 2022

For my hobby domains I'll be moving them away from CloudNS, the pricing on offer once my plan expires just isn't realistic for me.

For those who are looking for free DNS options that don't have query limits, I have used, or currently use and recommend any of:

If you wanted to mix and match between a few providers, you could setup primary DNS and secondary at others, eg. Primary DNS at 1984 with Secondary DNS slaved at both/either/all Hetzner, Afraid, PUCK etc

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

deSEC has an initial limit of 15 domains. Has anyone asked to increase it or donated?

dnsmanager costs 12 EUR/month. Makes sense for a lot of domains. Anyone using the template feature? Does it work like ClouDNS cloud domains or one-time when adding a new domain?

• LeviLevi Member
    edited November 2022

I had contacted dnsmanager. There is one guy on the project, very vague communication. Avoid.

For those who look for affordable DNS: https://durabledns.com/index.html highly recommended. Good support, amazing DNS service. Website looks and feels dated, but it works.

• EntryDNS is another affordable option. If you don't need the features on their Pro plan, you only need to pay a one time $15 registration fee.