Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is denying a rDNS acceptable or happening?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is denying a rDNS acceptable or happening?

_FBi_FBi Member

I had a client buy from a provider here on LET.
They took a minute to setup the VPS, a support ticket got the server up and running the next day.
I've since asked the provider to change the rDNS to reflect my clients business website. (Construction website, for what it's worth).

Here's the first ticket I submitted:
"Hello,
I'm trying to find the rDNS setup.

The direction in the Knowledge base didn't work for me.
I couldn't find Network tab, could you please setup:
This server: 192.. as: *ctions.ca
"

response:
"Hello,

The rDNS request for this domain is not accepted, kindly proceed us with providing a different domain

Thanks,
"

I add confusion by using the IP in my panel from the seller, but it was somehow not the IP for my VPS server:
" Here's the name cheap setup. [picture of domain DNS setup]

sorry, I entered the wrong IP in the ticket.
Thanks for the quick replies!

server: 23.*.
rDNS: *ctions.ca
"

my follow up:
"
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022 (19:30)

What IP should I be adding to NameCheap?
I have 2 server IPs.
23.*
and 192.* <-- I use putty with

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022 (19:32)

NameCheap DNS has been setup to:
192.*
*ctions.ca
"
Response:
" Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022 (19:54)

Hello,

Upon our check, This IP 23.* was not assigned to you.

Your rDNS was not approved, please provide us with a different domain.

Thanks,
"

my reply:
" can you be more specific, why was our domain not approved?

The dns from namecheap has been updated to reflect:
192.*

Please see attached.
namecheap 2.png [namecheap DNS setup, A NAME etc.]
"

Response:
" Hello,

Our DC has not accepted your rDNS request. Kindly provide another domain name for your IP '192.*'.

Thanks,
"

My reply:
"Why wasn't the rdns accepted?"
response:

"Hello,

Why wasn't the rdns accepted?

Our DC replied us,

We cannot approve this request at this time as the following entries are not forward-confirmed:

192.* 192-*-host.colocrossing.com *ctions.ca

Thanks,
"

my reply:
" If you're buying IPs from
192.* 192-*-host.colocrossing.com
Can you ask them to change the rDNS or PTR record to *ctions.ca
"

response:
"Hello,

Our DC - host.colocrossing.com has only confirmed that the domain - *ctions.ca is not approved.

Thanks, "

my reply:
"You will not allow my client to host his business website with your services? Is that what you're saying?"

Albeit slow, I have no complaints about the speed the replies come in. However, should I drop this host or am I over reacting? What should my path forward be? Am I doing something wrong on my end? I'm getting no information, am I asking the right questions?

Comments

• Can someone help understanding WHT rDNS / PTR is important?

Also if that is not published, does it mean the provider is not allowing to host a website? Aren't there A records which help point a domain to IP?

Just trying to learn new stuff everyday!

Thanked by 2ariq01 yoursunny
  • This is pretty standard. If you don't have x.y.z.com pointing to the IP, no provider will set rDNS for that IP to point to x.y.z.com. That's what the forward confirmed is about.

• @ralf said:
    This is pretty standard. If you don't have x.y.z.com pointing to the IP, no provider will set rDNS for that IP to point to x.y.z.com. That's what the forward confirmed is about.

correct, and XYZ is set to the VPS provided. That's what I don't understand. I don't understand where the problem [on my end] is.

• @plumberg said:
    Can someone help understanding WHT rDNS / PTR is important?

Also if that is not published, does it mean the provider is not allowing to host a website? Aren't there A records which help point a domain to IP?

rDNS/PTR is important for email servers, which this will be running, along with the company website.

• Do you have A record for that hostname/domain pointing to the ip that you want to setup rDNS with?

• What I would suggest:

Visit https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx and type in the exact name you have asked to be the target of rDNS.

Make sure if the IP address of the A record matches the IP address they have given you and that you are asking them to update the rDNS for.

Bear in mind that if you have a high TTL on these records, the old values might take a while to expire.

I'm also guessing if this is colocrossing, that it's RackNerds? They set up rDNS for both servers I have with them with zero issues, so if it is them, I strongly suspect you're doing something wrong.

• @jcolideles said:
    Do you have A record for that hostname/domain pointing to the ip that you want to setup rDNS with?

I do!

>

New developement:
    " Hello,

We have request our DC and now your rDNS request has been approved which will get reflected to your server within hours.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks, "

No idea....

I guess I can close this.

• @ralf said:
    What I would suggest:

Visit https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx and type in the exact name you have asked to be the target of rDNS.

Make sure if the IP address of the A record matches the IP address they have given you and that you are asking them to update the rDNS for.

Bear in mind that if you have a high TTL on these records, the old values might take a while to expire.

I'm also guessing if this is colocrossing, that it's RackNerds? They set up rDNS for both servers I have with them with zero issues, so if it is them, I strongly suspect you're doing something wrong.

Wasn't RackNerds, but I have their shopping cart open ready to buy lol.
    I prefer having control over my rDNS. Asking seems odd.

A ctions.ca 192. ColoCrossing (AS36352) TTL 60 sec

I checked at work, and this was the case hours ago.

• probably just a timing issue, but the responses are misleading "your domain not accepted" etc, why not just simply tell you to doublecheck you set the a record properly? 1st level support i guess.

honestly being able to set reverse myself is one of my personal avoid-this-provider flags anyway, it's pretty basic shit.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2022

I reject PTR/RDNS requests if domains look spammy, but many people can simply do RDNS on the client side without my intervention -- however most people with ill intentions don't take 5 seconds to look for the automated method and open a ticket requesting manual PTR record set. Many times I see people wanting to use stuff like a .icu domain with mail in the name, or having a domain that's blatantly intending to mimic a residential ISP. The times in the past I did add some despite my gut instinct they ended up sending spam.

Thanked by 2ariq01 _FBi
  • @plumberg said:

rDNS is used to verify that email being sent is legit.

For e.g. I have a VPS with IP 10.0.0.1 and my website is example.com. I send an email from [email protected].

So now receiver will do a reverse check and see if this IP 10.0.0.1 indeed belongs to example.com. If not then they may mark it as spam.

This rDNS is mostly used by people who wants to setup their own mail server for sending emails.

Thanked by 2plumberg _FBi
  • @alilet said:

@plumberg said:

For e.g. I have a VPS with IP 10.0.0.1 and my website is example.com. I send an email from [email protected].

So now receiver will do a reverse check and see if this IP 10.0.0.1 indeed belongs to example.com. If not then they may mark it as spam.

This rDNS is mostly used by people who wants to setup their own mail server for sending emails.

Makes sense. So if I do not intend to send mails, rdns not setup may not be a problem, right? Thnx

• @plumberg said:

@alilet said:

@plumberg said:

Makes sense. So if I do not intend to send mails, rdns not setup may not be a problem, right? Thnx

Yes it is not needed

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • No need to set rdns if we do not intend to send emails. Just A record

Thanked by 1_FBi
  • many providers like buyvm have option to set rdns in solusvm control panel.