Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did webhorizon suspend your nat vps for bandwidth over usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Did webhorizon suspend your nat vps for bandwidth over usage

protonproton Barred
edited September 2022 in Reviews

Their post says:

xxx G transfer @ 1Gbps; then unlimited at reduced speed

But what they really do :| :

This VPS is suspended due to Bandwidth Over Usage. You cannot perform any operations for the VPS !
Your VPS was suspended on 2022-08-15 12:31:53 and it will be unsuspended on 2022-09-30 23:59:59

No ticket respond for 17 d 3 hr 32 min

What's more? Full story?

In fact the traffic is over used in July, but their panel have statistics problem and didn't reset my traffic in Aug. So I also opened a ticket to tell them and showed the vnstat data. But they responded after 11 days and then suspended vps to 2022-09-30 23:59:59. After my replied again they disappeared until now.

I can understand bug of traffic statistics, but why suspending my services and keep saying your "unlimited traffic" service?

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    Thanked by 1Abd
  • @proton said:
    Their post says:

xxx G transfer @ 1Gbps; then unlimited at reduced speed

But what they really do :| :

This VPS is suspended due to Bandwidth Over Usage. You cannot perform any operations for the VPS !
    Your VPS was suspended on 2022-08-15 12:31:53 and it will be unsuspended on 2022-09-30 23:59:59

No ticket respond for 17 d 3 hr 32 min

What's more? Full story?

In fact the traffic is over used in July, but their panel have statistics problem and didn't reset my traffic in Aug. So I also opened a ticket to tell them and showed the vnstat data. But they responded after 11 days and then suspended vps to 2022-09-30 23:59:59. After my replied again they disappeared until now.

I can understand bug of traffic statistics, but why suspending my services and keep saying your "unlimited traffic" service?

they reduced your vps speed to 0 gbps

• Are you that guy who blasted 80TB?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Buy the servers!
    Hammer the cores!
    Blast the ports!
    Send the spams!
    Download the torrents!
    Open the drama threads!

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • protonproton Barred
    edited September 2022

@dosai said:
    Are you that guy who blasted 80TB?

Nope, 2T is used.
    Btw, it seems only 3T can be used under 10mbps if my math is right

• protonproton Barred
    edited September 2022

@yoursunny said:
    Buy the servers!
    Hammer the cores!
    Blast the ports!
    Send the spams!
    Download the torrents!
    Open the drama threads!

Didn't do anything against the tos & aup!
    If those happen, should be mentioned in the reason of suspending!
    Not so many story details like drama of your hk nat node!

• I think your service should be suspended for fair use.

@Abd said: It varies by region. 5 - 10 Mbps fair use.

2TB may well be the upper limit of traffic you can consume monthly in the region:
    500GB + 5Mbps * 86400 * 30 / 8 / 1024 = 2.033 TB

You should have taken actions when the traffic reached 1 TB (threshold in my mind), otherwise users in the same host can complain about network congestion at rush hour.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • protonproton Barred
    edited September 2022

@ask_seek_knock said:
    I think your service should be suspended for fair use.

@Abd said: It varies by region. 5 - 10 Mbps fair use.

2TB may well be the upper limit of traffic you can consume monthly in the region:
    500GB + 5Mbps * 86400 * 30 / 8 / 1024 = 2.033 TB

You should have taken actions when the traffic reached 1 TB (threshold in my mind), otherwise users in the same host can complain about network congestion at rush hour.

Thx for your explaination, it makes sense to some degree.
    But don't forget, your version is quite different with the word "unlimited at reduced speed", and it's "limited at reduced speed" in fact.

• edited September 2022

@proton said: But don't forget, your version is quite different with the word "unlimited at reduced speed", and it's "limited at reduced speed" in fact.

Well, suspension of service should come after notifications or warnings.

For example, emails of notification, warning, and suspension might be delivered when traffic reached 500GB, 1TB, 2TB respectively, which can justify the final suspension slightly. But this kind of considerate triggers may be too much for an affordable provider.

Anyway, personally I think you would win in the courtroom, so Abd at least owes you an explanation or apology for inconvenience.

P.S. My advice is to throttle the network below 64Kbps instead of a total cutoff when too much is used. And this may be easy to implement, since the 5Mbps limit is already there.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Can you share the ticket number in PM to check this up ?

normally, bandwidth is always reduced never suspended on nat vps.
    except if the service was involved in any abuse in past we limit them outright.

unlimited traffic at reduced speeds does not apply in such abusive instances as they can affect other clients on same node.

• @Abd PMed

• @Abd
    Two weeks after you last reply here, you didn't reply to my ticket!
    And your panel continues to show suspending status, it's really a huge bug!
    I can't use my vps for three month just for your stupid bug!

xUMps1.png

• protonproton Barred
    edited October 2022

xUMnsI.md.png

Is it really so hard for you to reply my ticket? Since you have time to update your post on the forum. >:)

• Some people are so weird. Provider promises to keep network but lower the speeds, why are there discussions here what the buyer should have done better? Hello? So what if he uses all his BW in first day, he's being promised to keep network at lower speeds.

And you see tickets, him having to beg support for months and still doesnt have answer.

Thanks for reporting @proton , I know I'll stay away from them

• @drizbo said:
    Some people are so weird. Provider promises to keep network but lower the speeds, why are there discussions here what the buyer should have done better? Hello? So what if he uses all his BW in first day, he's being promised to keep network at lower speeds.

And you see tickets, him having to beg support for months and still doesnt have answer.

Absolutely. Seeing things like this makes me grateful that I was able to resist their 5x NAT deal awhile ago. Especially when its been a very long time and there is not even a simple answer.

Thanked by 1JasonM
    edited October 2022

I will look into this again.

But THIS IS IT, no other reason for it.

normally, bandwidth is always reduced never suspended on nat vps.
    except if the service was involved in any abuse in past we limit them outright.
    unlimited traffic at reduced speeds does not apply in such abusive instances as they can affect other clients on same node.

edited October 2022

I checked this case once again and decided this is definitely an abuse case. The concerned service is in Japan region.
    plan promises 500GB , you're pulling upto 2TB per month which is four times the usage limit.

So the bandwidth was rightfully hard limited to plan specifications and vps suspended upon overusage.

For now, I have reset it at no additional costs so you can use the service.
    Please take care in future to limit it below 500GB avoiding suspension.

@proton Threatening us to leave bad review on LET won't change this decision , in any way 💯

@drizbo said:
    Some people are so weird. Provider promises to keep network but lower the speeds, why are there discussions here what the buyer should have done better? Hello? So what if he uses all his BW in first day, he's being promised to keep network at lower speeds.

Umm ... I would say know the full case before commenting on something.

• @Abd said:
    I checked this case once again and decided this is definitely an abuse case. The concerned service is in Japan region.
    plan promises 500GB , you're pulling upto 2TB per month which is four times the usage limit.

So the bandwidth was rightfully hard limited to plan specifications and vps suspended upon overusage.

I hate to be "that guy", but if the only abuse was exceeding the bandwidth quota, and the bandwidth was supposed to be "unlimited but slower" above the quota, then it doesn't seem like abuse, more just that your system failed to work as advertised.

I thought you were going to pull out the smoking gun with DMCA violations or blacklisted on every spam list or something...

edited October 2022

@ralf said:

@Abd said:

I hate to be "that guy", but if the only abuse was exceeding the bandwidth quota, and the bandwidth was supposed to be "unlimited but slower" above the quota, then it doesn't seem like abuse, more just that your system failed to work as advertised.

I thought you were going to pull out the smoking gun with DMCA violations or blacklisted on every spam list or something...

fair enough :) . So I have reported this bug to virtualizor.
    & the apac regions will get limit to 1Mbps , keeping the unlimited promise intact

Thanked by 2RapToN emg
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2022

@Abd said:

@ralf said:

@Abd said:

fair enough :) . So I have reported this bug to virtualizor.
    & the apac regions will get limit to 1Mbps , keeping the unlimited promise intact

That's a good solution :) My opinion in this case is similar to that of @ralf . If, indeed, no DMCA or other illegal stuff happened then the customer would be in their right to make use of the throttled/reduced bandwidth to their heart's content. It's like mobile contracts, where you surf with "Highspeed" LTE ("up to 225 Mbit/s) for e.g. 10GB and then, instead of your mobile data being completely capped, your speed is reduced to 1 Mbit/s or less until the end of month. Fwiw, I currently got an "unmetered" LTE flat at 10 Mbit/s. So I get "reduced" bandwidth from the start, but I can use as much data as technically possible (realistically, I never get above 20-30GB, but it's peace of mind). What I'm trying to say is, if vps is advertised as unmetered reduced speed after e.g. 500GB, the customer shouldn't have to worry about "using too much".

Thanked by 2Abd yoursunny
  • ralfralf Member
    edited October 2022

Yeah, the real safety net of the unlimited but throttled solution is when you have multiple nodes, and if you accidentally go over on one you can temporarily redirect users to your other nodes, but you're still able to log into your machine, for instance copying any new database records off it, cleanly shutting down your web-server, or whatever.

I actually think it's great positive when providers offer it, it's much safer than a hard limit for real applications.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2022

@ralf said:
    Yeah, the real safety net of the unlimited but throttled solution is when you have multiple nodes, and if you accidentally go over on one you can temporarily redirect users to your other nodes, but you're still able to log into your machine, for instance copying any new database records off it, cleanly shutting down your web-server, or whatever.

I actually think it's great positive when providers offer it, it's much safer than a hard limit for real applications.

Totally agree. Back when I started out on LET and was a total beginner at VPS, I was always scared I'd reach the allocated bw limit (since usually plans would have some 100GB bw limit), because most german providers (Strato etc) I knew back then already offered flatrates. While, of course, 200GB of 1Gbit/s seemed way faster (judging by numbers) back then, I felt more secure with 100 Mbit/s unmetered. OVH also had this "safety net" of unmetered. Contabo also offered 200 Mbit/s+ with a reduced speed (reduced to 10 Mbits iirc) if you used more than xy bw in x days for a long time. Like you said, it's still better than nothing, and even today, I'd likely prefer slower speed that is unmetered over faster speed with a GB limit. In that regard, I am also super happy with my 10 Mbit/s LTE Flatrate. I can do everything I want on my phone without risking it being throttled to 64 Kbit/s, or be charged 3€ per additional 100MB, which long was a common practice among german mobile internet providers.

• Would be more fair advertisement
    Its ridiculous to say

you're pulling upto 2TB per month which is four times the usage limit.

When at very same moment you are advertising service as unlimited
    Shaddy sort of practices especially similar with mobile network providers and their unlimited data deals

Thanked by 2itoshikimonset TODO
  • protonproton Barred
    edited October 2022

Oh my gosh, this is really an interesting post.
    From all the discussions on this post, it's clear that the only problem is I used 2T traffic, which is caused by the traffic from normal website traffic. I'm too lazy to manage my website so it continue to use traffic up to 2T for one month.
    The bad service from webhorizon is summarized as following:

• Service is suspended without notification, not any word to tell you reason.
    • Fake adversed "unlimited at reduced speed", it should be simple as the word says, unlimited at reduced speed if not against to AUP/TOS
    • No ticket reply on their ticket system, so I have to post it here. But they just leave some comment and just disappear
    • (Many) Panel bugs: Traffic is not auto reset next month; Panel continues to show suspending status serveral months after and says will unsuspend until end of each month.

Usually I backup my data regularly and won't put important data on this kind of vps. But if you forget to backup, you may suffer from this kind awful service as there seems not to be any way to access to you server again. They lie to customers, they disappear, they tell you their version of ABUSE, they ignore bugs of their system.

I still remember those days when low end providers not selling their spirit.

Thanked by 1TODO
  • So the server we are talking about was advertised as 500gb at 1gb port?

• @gbzret4d said:
    So the server we are talking about was advertised as 500gb at 1gb port?

500GB@1Gbps and then reduced speed. What seems to have happened here is 500GB@1Gbps, then getting the service suspended instead of getting speeds reduced.

• webhorizon has no support after your purchase and completely ignores you, even if your vps goes down

• FrozeconeFrozecone Member
    edited October 2022

Yeah WebHorizon has HORRIBLE customer service. I’m talking the absolute worst.

After I purchased it, it took a solid couple of weeks for them to even reply to my ticket that the VPS wouldn’t boot or let me reinstall it, and that the panel would never finish loading. They never replied, it just finally started up weeks later. Nothing consistently works with their hosting. And don’t ever expect a response, there’s a 0.001% chance of getting one.

Thanked by 1TODO
  • @Frozecone said:
    Yeah WebHorizon has HORRIBLE customer service. I’m talking the absolute worst.

After I purchased it, it took a solid couple of weeks for them to even reply to my ticket that the VPS wouldn’t boot or let me reinstall it, and that the panel would never finish loading. They never replied, it just finally started up weeks later. Nothing consistently works with their hosting. And don’t ever expect a response, there’s a 0.001% chance of getting one.

A true lowend provider that we all long for.

Thanked by 1jokesonyou