Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you manage your bookmarks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you manage your bookmarks?

At one point or another we all get overwhelmed by the number of bookmarks we have. Have you found any creative way to keep track of yours? Care to share?
For myself, it used to be pocket and Evernote as arranging them on my browser had become too cumbersome. I could sync and access them from anywhere. These days I find myself using raindrop.io and obsidian.md which has replaced Evernote for me. I would love to hear your own solutions.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

Comments

• I just use the browser bookmark bar for anything I care enough about to return to.

• I use bookmarks bar and made separate folders + folders inside folders.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Daily and important ones gets a place on the bar.

The others gets stashed a few clicks away.

That’s about it really.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I guess I'm the only one who has so few sites that I can remember them all?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@serv_ee said: I guess I'm >the only one who has so few sites that I can remember them all?

I have so many categories (folders) with so many bookmarks that they need serious management. I make sure the links aren't dead and up to date. It has helped me tremendously in my career and personal life.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I only have one bookmark.
    It's in the book that I'm currently reading.
    When I return the book to the library, I take out my bookmark and put it into the next book I'm reading.

Thanked by 4ariq01 Erisa m4nu Cabbage
  • @serv_ee said:
    I guess I'm the only one who has so few sites that I can remember them all?

Yes. Even people in 1995 had too many bookmarks to keep track of.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I let Toby do the job.

GetToby.com

Thanked by 2Arkas mrTom
  • Once I have seen interesting website, I'll add it to my browser if the computer is running.
    Otherwise I'll temporarily save them to cloud notebook or read-it-later platform.
    When I'm accessable to my computer again, I'll move links form the notebook to my browser.

• Nextcloud bookmarks . and their little bit of javascript bookmark to add it to the server.
    https://nextcloud.com/blog/featuring-bookmarks-marcel-klehr/

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I'm bookmarking by copying the link and then chatting to my 2nd number on WhatsApp, I let Zuck and his staff know about it.

• @iNanja said:
    I use bookmarks bar and made separate folders + folders inside folders.

you use firefox vpn?

• @Arkas said:

@serv_ee said: I guess I'm >the only one who has so few sites that I can remember them all?

I have so many categories (folders) with so many bookmarks that they need serious management. I make sure the links aren't dead and up to date. It has helped me tremendously in my career and personal life.

same here. looking for a solution the helps me clearing all the bookmarkshit.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @serv_ee said:
    I guess I'm the only one who has so few sites that I can remember them all?

Nope, same here. I use the type ahead thingy for almost every site I visit, so if I want to go to lowendtalk.com I just type "lo" and it fills in the rest for me.
    I have maybe 20-25 bookmarks to controlpanels for VPS's and stuff that are pure ip's and non-standard ports, but that's it.

I also have a Wallabag setup so if I find an interesting article or a document I want to read later, I just rightclick and chose "Wallabag it". No more dead bookmarks. :smile:

Thanked by 4ariq01 Arkas Erisa SLMob
  • I hate register firefox / google account just for sync bookmarks across my browser. So I ended up do weird-way using git and plaintext. Copy link and do git pull && git push
    For phone, Use Markor Quicknote, just select share option -> Share to Markor -> git pull && git push from Termux

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @hyperblast said:

@iNanja said:
    I use bookmarks bar and made separate folders + folders inside folders.

you use firefox vpn?

Actually, that is Opera's VPN. However, I don't use it.

I do use a wireguard VPN on desktop with a different VPN extension on Opera. I feel like having two VPN's is more secure. However, not sure if that actually helps anything.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@hyperblast said: same here. looking for a solution the helps me clearing all the bookmarkshit.

Try raindrop.io, the free version is very capable!

• i use chrome bookmark and create folders. save according to folder category. sync with google account login on all device. i have almost 10k+ links saved. i also take backup few months later by exporting as html bookmark

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I only use firefox sync...only this browser that i use and keeping in sync...

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited September 2022

I had this hoarding bookmarks problem years back. Then I realized I only use like 1% of the several thousand links and deleted the entire list intentionally.

Now I mostly use Firefox Sync (Frequently used links) + markdown files (rarely used)

You will be surprised to see that many links actually disappear as time passes. HTTP 404, 5XX, Site shutdown/moved etc.

• I use Workona extension organized in bookmarks and to restore tabs next time.

But sometimes I bet on local bookmarks, organized on folders.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I just use the built-in bookmark bar for everything, and make sure the main url bar is set to search bookmarks to easily find things.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited September 2022

I use pinboard.in. And I never go back to them. Guess I should cancel the sub.

• I dont.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@sgheghele said: I use pinboard.in. And I never go back to them. Guess I should cancel the sub.

You'll probably end up needing a bookmark as soon as you cancel the service. Murphy's law! :smile:

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • I use vivaldi everywhere so i do it with vivaldi sync, i got like 10 most used on start page speed dial, others are on bookmark bar

• I don't, everything is in tabs.

Thanked by 2bakageta that_guy
  • raindrop.io along with start.me

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • louiejordanlouiejordan Member
    edited September 2022

browser+floccus, & back up a copy to computer every month.

• I keep the entire profile (ungoogled-chromium) portable, wonder why nobody mentioned it.
    That's how you trust your devices and not some cloud with a profile and cookies, however I
    will switch to something reliable and private, still didn't find an online "browser sync" service that is not bound to some account. So...