Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[AU] We are launching a hosting business. Help us and get a free VPS for 1 year!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[AU] We are launching a hosting business. Help us and get a free VPS for 1 year!

Greetings LET,

We're a small group of engineers in Australia and we are planning to launch a hosting business. We'll be investing a lot in infrastructures and we need your help to let us know what you truly want and expect from a new hosting provider. This will help us understand your need and bring to the market the best products with the most affordable prices!

So, if you can tell us:

• What are the must-have features for a good, affordable VPS?
  • How much are you willing to pay for a good VPS? please incl the specs as well.

We appreciate your help, and for that, we will offer a free 1 vCPU/1 GB RAM KVM VPS for 1 whole year to one of the people that comment on this post.

Cheers!

Comments

• AU is a very monopolistic and tough hosting environment to work with.
    Wishing you best of luck, however I would start with getting the best peering offers
    first, before you even consider it.

Thanked by 2hostinguo Chuck
  • PeachPeach Signature Restricted

1 vCPU/1 GB RAM KVM VPS,3~5 USD/Month or More .

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • $3-5/mo 1 vCPU >512MB RAM >10GHDD/SSD >200Mbps Port >500G traffic KVM VPS

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • Disk must be fast enough to run a Minecraft server without skipping ticks.

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • 1) Re> @Peach said:

1 vCPU/1 GB RAM KVM VPS,3~5 USD/Month or More .

Why are you signature restricted?

• The features I would expect in a good, affordable VPS in AU is:

• Backup options
    • Good Connectivity
    • Manageable right from the billing / client area, like reboots and OS reinstall
    • DirectAdmin at nominal fee (Internal License)

Pricing will be around 3 to 5 USD with 1GB RAM, 10 to 20 GB SSD and atleast 500GB traffic

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • There's a market for $12/year KVM in Australia that's virtually untapped.

Thanked by 2zed hostinguo
  • @dahartigan said: There's a market for $12/year KVM in Australia

You can't be serious, are you? I bet you are joking, just making sure.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

What are the must-have features for a good, affordable VPS?

Custom ISO upload.
    Routed IPv6.

How much are you willing to pay for a good VPS? please incl the specs as well.

Spec: 2GB RAM, 30GB SSD, NAT, routed /64.
    Price: 16 push-ups per month.

1. I hope it has good CPU for my use case (big data computing). I prefer AMD cpu cluster with a fail share.
    2. For me I always look for the specs with CPU of 2 AMD cores, 4 GB memory, and 80GB SSD disk. I will pay it for 5USD/month.
    Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • @frakass said: I hope it has good CPU for my use case (big data computing). I prefer AMD cpu cluster with a fail share.

It's quite counter-productive to have this in virtually the most expensive location in the world
    for hosting. You could rent that in Singapore/HK and make a tunnel to AU if required. You will
    save at least 4x the amount by doing so.

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • wait, help for a /chance/ at a vps? what a scam title!

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • ask @Zappie he can teach you... but you are here on LET people are looking for cheap vps here, as cheap as they can and lots of offers... anyway ur title is confusing... how can users win that VPS ?

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

I would recommend the following features to any new hosting company to support from the start:

• Accurate hourly billing
    • Scalability of the storage without having to upgrade to a larger package.
    • different hard disk categories possible (also here it should be possible that the customer determines the storage space)
    • internal networks that every client could configure for his systems
    Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • @luckypenguin said:

@dahartigan said: There's a market for $12/year KVM in Australia

You can't be serious, are you? I bet you are joking, just making sure.

Semi-serious.

Bobs. You know what to do.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2022

Some advice from an Aussie Host, We have been running 2 years and have done a tone of market research hence holding off offering VPS instead of buying our own node and going hard. Not all australians want VPS in australia, our clients truely all over the world. so be sure not to narrow your market. Singapore is another attractive to ozzies! We hope to be launching our VPS offerings soon! I'd love to get a free one from you too! ;)

Thanked by 2hostinguo ehab
  • @cold said:
    ask @Zappie he can teach you... but you are here on LET people are looking for cheap vps here, as cheap as they can and lots of offers... anyway ur title is confusing... how can users win that VPS ?

the winner is choosen randomly e.g using https://miniwebtool.com/random-picker/ Sorry for not mentioning that. I just realised I can't edit the original thread. :(

• Storage VPS, 12/year KVM. Literally untouched as @dahartigan stated

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • Honestly, you are up against the existing local providers that already do an excellent job,
    and the global hyperscalers like OVH, Vultr or even AWS. Azure does not compete with this sort of market - both in price and performance.

Can you do 1vCore, 1GB RAM, ~25GB SSD storage with 1TB of transfer a month for $5 and stay in business after payment processing costs? OVH and @QuantumCore and BinaryLane can do that.

You have to do something different, a better value-add, better automation, the biggest support KB library by a factor of 10. Trying to compete on price locally will have the service suffer, or you will go out of business. IP addresses are also expensive to acquire until IPv6 is almost ubiquitous with RSPs locally which we are a fair way away from so far.

I wish you luck, you are taking on something that I could not.

1. 99.9999% uptime. I mean 365 days uptime/year without reboots or "maintenance" or network outage.
    2. New drives. I don't do OVH because I know their drives are 7-8 years old and any vps or dedicated server with them is a gamble.
    3. Redundancy. Everyone does backups, but for those people who can afford dedicated servers, vps with built-in redundancy is a good reason to avoid doing it yourself with a dedicated server.
    4. Good international peering unless your market is all local to AU.

The price is dependent on the above factors. None of the above matters if your market are people who want $10/year vps for vpn or backup storage. Cheap also means replaceable.

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • Free t-shirt every month would be nice! Preferably hand drawn designs and a free 8gb ram 100 cores and 300tbps unmetered for €0.69 a year

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Double the bandwidth compared to competitors!

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • Just add kangaroo with offers paid for 12 months.

• @hostinguo said: We're a small group of engineers

What engineers are we talking about here? I wouldn't want to buy hosting from a bunch of Chemical or Agricultural Engineers for sure.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2022

@hostinguo said: What are the must-have features for a good, affordable VPS?

Honestly, it'll be very hard to compete if your product is just a cookie-cutter WHMCS + SolusVM thing with no value-add features. You'll end up just competing on price, and a race to the bottom is a quick way to deadpool :smile:

Australia really needs a competitor to Binary Lane. As far as I'm aware, there's no other providers in Australia that have a control panel as powerful as theirs, with:

• The ability to scale up or down on-demand. For example, if you're running out of memory, you can instantly add more RAM without having to switch package
    • OpenStack-compatible API to allow scripting/automation
    • High-availability load balancer available as an optional service
    • Backups that can be mounted to restore individual files without having to download the entire backup
    • Instant provisioning
    • Routed IPv6 /64 range
    • Private LAN between VPSes (an actual separate VLAN or similar per customer rather than just one internal network for the entire DC)
    • Custom ISO uploads for OS installation
    • Pretty good prices, starting at $3.75/month for 1GB RAM and 20GB NVMe storage, even with all these features.

If your service is anywhere near as feature-rich as BinaryLane, you'll absolutely be onto a winner.

Otherwise, if your pricing is similar, why would someone choose your service over BinaryLane given all the features available with BinaryLane? You'd need some other sort of value-add to make it worth it.

@hostinguo said: How much are you willing to pay for a good VPS?

In Australia, BinaryLane's or QuantumCore's prices are probably the limit I'd pay (e.g. BinaryLane have 4GB RAM, 60GB NVMe and 3000GB monthly transfer for AU$15/month). That's with a decent network and CPU. My limit would be lower for something OVH-tier.

• AMD CPUs, good uptime, NVMe, and a functioning support desk...
    $15-20/yr

Thanked by 1hostinguo
  • Must-have features are:
    native ipv6 class (<= /64, not /128)
    that's it

Thanked by 2yoursunny hostinguo
  • what i like about 1 provider:
    1. they support custom ios
    2. have available api and detailed api documentation (really too few small and medium vendors support this)
    3. fast support (I really don't like waiting especially for errors related to your server).
    Configuration 1-1 20 SSD 1Gbps I will buy for 3-5$/month

Thanked by 1hostinguo
    1. Have multiple locations to choose from. Not just Australia. Example: Australia, US, Singapore
    2. KVM VPS using good new CPU, Nvme disk always
    3. Price: Example: 2 cores, 2GB Ram, 30-50GB Nvme, $4-6/month
    4. Good support, and stable service/uptime/speed, etc.
    Thanked by 1hostinguo