Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

**THIS ISN'T CLICK BAIT** I'VE GOT A QUESTION ABOUT MASSIVEGRID! #1QUESTION ONLY
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

**THIS ISN'T CLICK BAIT** I'VE GOT A QUESTION ABOUT MASSIVEGRID! #1QUESTION ONLY

emghemgh Member
edited August 2022 in Providers

Yo,

I've got a hand full of VPS that I just cba to manage, it takes time man.

Might be cheap but damn .. I've spent countless hours.

Not regretting anything, I've learned a lot.

But I wanted to simply not have to manage anything for things to work.

I decided today that I cba, so I migrated all to MassiveGRID (reseller hosting, WHM/cPanel) and closed my accounts with multiple cloud providers (and set reminders to close some after their next invoices are issued).

My question: Has anyone used MassiveGRID? I guess this might not be the market for it, but I'd be glad if anyone had any experience, good or bad

Have you tested MassiveGRID? Comment below:
#I HAVE TESTED MASSIVEGRID AND HERE IS MY REVIEW

Haven't you tested MassiveGRID? Comment below:
#I HAVEN'T TESTED MASSIVEGRID AND HERE'S NOT MY REVIEW

HAVE
  1. YOU16 votes
    1. TESTED
      25.00%
    2. MASSIVEGRID
      75.00%

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I mean, those are some damn hardcore claims they make. Clustering with automatic failover in the case of a node failure, done at the host level, is no cheap task if you want it done right. Cutting corners on there means "everything works until it doesn't" :joy:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Personally, I think its a stupid idea, to trust a cloud provider as service, to make it easy for you to manage your vps's from a security standpoint.

If they got breached, all your shit goes with it.
    Ansible and co is there, to patch your cheap shit.

Thanked by 2dystopia dahartigan
  • emghemgh Member

@jar said:
    I mean, those are some damn hardcore claims they make. Clustering with automatic failover in the case of a node failure, done at the host level, is no cheap task if you want it done right. Cutting corners on there means "everything works until it doesn't" :joy:

Ik, here their CEO laying it out a bit:

Sadly not as geeky as most here would like since it's a video marketed towards companies and not techies but the presentation at 1:00 kind of lays it out somewhat.

Thanked by 1jar
  • emghemgh Member

@Neoon said:
    Personally, I think its a stupid idea, to trust a cloud provider as service, to make it easy for you to manage your vps's from a security standpoint.

Well probably not in most cases because of their redundant backups (Jetbackup included). Not VPS but WHM/cPanel in my case.

Might just set up BackWPUp for each site straight to B2, so that I really really really don't have to worry.

Probably a smart idea honestly.

@emgh said: Sadly not as geeky as most here would like since it's a video marketed towards companies and not techies but the presentation at 1:00 kind of lays it out somewhat.

That high level looks good, and frankly their prices are cheap for it. Probably spending more on their WHMCS license :joy:

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@jar said:

@emgh said: Sadly not as geeky as most here would like since it's a video marketed towards companies and not techies but the presentation at 1:00 kind of lays it out somewhat.

That high level looks good, and frankly their prices are cheap for it. Probably spending more on their WHMCS license :joy:

Haha yeah probably, I'll report back in a while. Right now I've got about 5 hour experience, but hey, the cluster works (100 % uptime so far!!!!)

Thanked by 1jar

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

Well probably not in most cases because of their redundant backups (Jetbackup included). Not VPS but WHM/cPanel in my case.

Might just set up BackWPUp for each site straight to B2, so that I really really really don't have to worry.

Nah, not backup wise, more like if the shit gets taken over, aka hacked.

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2022

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

But that's not a regularity and if I have completely separated backups I don't think it would hit that hard.

Obviously annoying, but I host WP sites and mail, it's like the most easily migrated stuff of it all.

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

But that's not a regularity and if I have completely separated backups I don't think it would hit that hard.

Obviously annoying, but I host WP sites and mail, it's like the most easily migrated stuff of it all.

The worst part, as far I understand it, you a linux iso machine and if that platform gets hacked, your machine is also at risk for a complete takeover.

Just terriable.

First complaint:

Even if custom SSH port, default password. Slow OS install on mine at least, which means it only makes sense to step away and let it run for a bit. But once it finishes it'll be exposed until I get to it.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Click baiting us with a crazy story about putting all eggs in a single basket. OP fails.

Thanked by 2dystopia TimboJones
  • emghemgh Member

This might have been a super clever way of making a point because Twitter is currently down.

• emghemgh Member

@jar said:
    First complaint:

Even if custom SSH port, default password. Slow OS install on mine at least, which means it only makes sense to step away and let it run for a bit. But once it finishes it'll be exposed until I get to it.

Please continue regularly updating with your experience.

• emghemgh Member

@dahartigan said:
    Click baiting us with a crazy story about putting all eggs in a single basket. OP fails.

Well, here you are. So much for failing.

• @emgh said:

@dahartigan said:
    Click baiting us with a crazy story about putting all eggs in a single basket. OP fails.

The failing will come for you later, when your chickens are lost when the basket collapses.

• emghemgh Member

@dahartigan said:

@emgh said:

@dahartigan said:

The failing will come for you later, when your chickens are lost when the basket collapses.

Your signature consists of a CourtnerdTracker, I think I'm good, thanks.

• @emgh said:

@dahartigan said:

@emgh said:

@dahartigan said:

Your signature consists of a CourtnerdTracker, I think I'm good, thanks.

• ThundasThundas Member
    edited August 2022

You can also take one of their 30k support plan, your own personal account manager, personal team of sysadmin, your own live feed camera on your own cage 24/7, they even offer development services.

• emghemgh Member

@Ahfaiahkid said:
    You can also take one of their 30k support plan, your own personal account manager, personal team of sysadmin, your own live feed camera on your own cage 24/7, they even offer development services.

No, I'm good with my current reseller package.

• Thanks, your cluster size has been doubled.

Thanked by 2emgh bulbasaur
  • emghemgh Member

@Daniel15 said:
    Thanks, your cluster size has been doubled.

I WANT DOUBLE REDUNDANCY ORDER NUMBER: 13371337133713371337

@emgh said:

@jar said:
    First complaint:

Please continue regularly updating with your experience.

Well, they set it to require password change on first SSH login. So at least had it been tampered with, I'd quite easily know.

Thanked by 1emgh
    edited August 2022

Ew, it's going through voxility. That has me looking pretty rough: https://files.freesocial.co/f.php?h=163dCXjE&p=1

Of course ignore the level3 packet loss that's just them trying to compete with walmart, but the voxility latency is bad. That's Texas to New York. Sprinkle a little packet loss at the end point, not much but not none either.

• ralfralf Member

@emgh said:
    I decided today that I cba, so I migrated all to MassiveGRID (reseller hosting, WHM/cPanel) and closed my accounts with multiple cloud providers (and set reminders to close some after their next invoices are issued).

My question: Has anyone used MassiveGRID? I guess this might not be the market for it, but I'd be glad if anyone had any experience, good or bad

I'm not sure why you wouldn't ask that question before committing yourself to lose your previously reliable service. What if everyone tells you to avoid this new thing after you've moved everything to it?

• emghemgh Member

@jar said:
    Ew, it's going through voxility. That has me looking pretty rough: https://files.freesocial.co/f.php?h=163dCXjE&p=1

Of course ignore the level3 packet loss that's just them trying to compete with walmart, but the voxility latency is bad. That's Texas to New York. Sprinkle a little packet loss at the end point, not much but not none either.

Oh, I expected that because of their "1 Tbps Anti-DDoS Protection" but I didn't even bother to check. That must be why my latency is like twice to my Frankfurt IP than it usually is to Frankfurt.

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2022

@ralf said:

@emgh said:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't ask that question before committing yourself to lose your previously reliable service. What if everyone tells you to avoid this new thing after you've moved everything to it?

Then I spend 5 minutes of my time moving cPanel backups. Or honestly let the new provider do it all. cPanel to cPanel is extremely easy, and all websites are Swedish so no worries if it hiccups in the middle of the night GMT+2. Paying monthly now in the beginning.

Also, there's a logical fallacy here, that I ask for more reviews, dosen't mean that I haven't found any reviews anywhere. I actually have.

• emghemgh Member

@ralf @Neoon

You guys have been sceptic but I actually do understand it all, one bag no matter how shiny is still one bag.

I'm fine with it honestly IF I have a recovery plan put in place.

Long story short: Is there any GOOD way of actually scheduling a cPanel backup without root WHM access? Maybe some scripting with the Backup Wizard + an FTP server that removes the oldest file once you've got to like 4 files in dir?

Saw some Github projects but all were outdated.

Maybe a good entry to programming, and to release it publicly? If there's nothing I'll actually make that a mission to get started understanding code.

• emghemgh Member

@emgh said:
    @ralf @Neoon

You guys have been sceptic but I actually do understand it all, one bag no matter how shiny is still one bag.

I'm fine with it honestly IF I have a recovery plan put in place.

Long story short: Is there any GOOD way of actually scheduling a cPanel backup without root WHM access? Maybe some scripting with the Backup Wizard + an FTP server that removes the oldest file once you've got to like 4 files in dir?

Saw some Github projects but all were outdated.

Maybe a good entry to programming, and to release it publicly? If there's nothing I'll actually make that a mission to get started understanding code.

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/DD/UAPI+Functions+-+Backup::fullbackup_to_scp_with_password

• henixhenix Member
    edited August 2022

I HAVEN'T TESTED MASSIVEGRID AND HERE'S NOT MY REVIEW

Did they double your bandwidth?

Thanked by 1emgh