Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVHcloud price adjustments in 2022 and 2023
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVHcloud price adjustments in 2022 and 2023

amsaalamsaal Member
edited August 2022 in General

Received this information in Email mail list.

Hello,
Just to warn you: with the cost of energy
which has exploded and which is not going to diminish rapidly,
in the economy as a whole, a lot of costs
are going up. Prices change from
a lot ! Today in Sep we are talking about +10%!
It is enormous !

As the chain will follow and it will end up
in wages, we are going to enter a period
that few of us know: inflation in
spiral.

With inflation, it is impossible to fight and we must
pass it on in prices. As such, I
advise doing this with your clients and enough
rapidly. Otherwise you risk finding yourself
in a very complicated situation.

At our level, we reach the end of what we
could deliver without changing our prices. Here is some
details on what will happen before the end of 2022.

https://blog.ovhcloud.com/ovhcloud-price-adjustments-in-2022-and-2023/

Inflation is hard to stop. Our policies
have a job..

Sincerely
Octave

Thanked by 1vero

Comments

• well that's what happens when you sanction a country that gives you energy. your energy costs go up, transportation costs go up, and everything else go up since shipping everything is more expensive ("inflation").

Thanked by 3WebProject hostdare miu
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

I am curious if the servers taken under obligation (with monthly payment) with a certain price will keep their basic price or if the subscriptions can be canceled if the customers do not want to pay the price increased by 10%. (I think that would be normal)

• @mosquitoguy said:
    well that's what happens when you sanction a country that gives you energy. your energy costs go up, transportation costs go up, and everything else go up since shipping everything is more expensive ("inflation").

You'll be fine.

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • @mosquitoguy said:
    well that's what happens when you sanction a country that gives you energy. your energy costs go up, transportation costs go up, and everything else go up since shipping everything is more expensive ("inflation").

well, so, your suggestion is that if you're an energy producing country, we should let you kill your neighbors without sanctions? You should inform Iran or Saudi Arabia then.

Spineless individuals like you is exactly why russia did what they did.

• as far I know nuke energy is clean and cheap...... this price hike was flux for shils paid by states that produce energy ..... reboot nuke power and be done by evil states as rusia, hung the paid green shills that say nuke is bad.......

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • English version (For OVH US) - https://blog.ovhcloud.com/ovhcloud-price-adjustments-in-2022-and-2023/

Pretty dumb move, especially considering anybody planning on moving from Hetzner probably just reversed their plans.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2022

@Smith42 said:
    English version (For OVH US) - https://blog.ovhcloud.com/ovhcloud-price-adjustments-in-2022-and-2023/

Pretty dumb move, especially considering anybody planning on moving from Hetzner probably just reversed their plans.

It might be they have no choice. Someone was saying that Serverius just announced 0.78EUR/KWH, that's 1000EUR/month or more per 2000W's. You'll normally put 4000 - 5000W to a rack, so you're 2000EUR/month+ just in power, nevermind the base rack price and everything else. That works out to 50EUR/month per U, give or take.

A friend of mine is saying Germany will break 1EUR/KWH at some point soon.

By all means, maybe I screwed up my math, but that's pretty wild.

Francisco

• whatever the reason for price increase, once the price has gone up, don't expect it to come back down.

• @DanSummer said:
    well, so, your suggestion is that if you're an energy producing country, we should let you kill your neighbors without sanctions? You should inform Iran or Saudi Arabia then.

Someone is killing somebody somewhere. If not your neighbor then your unborn baby as a result of a drunken one-night stand. A dead universe doesn't judge. You create your own problems by judging.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited August 2022

It is good to see such a fair approach being taken. Hetzner decimated the low end auction segment with 30%+ price rises to avoid any server being provided at a loss.

OVH is selling servers that could be pulling 150W+ continuous for 15 eur/mo. Even with a 10% rise they are unlikely to be making any profit on that. Here's hoping 'around 10%' does not mean a lot more than 10% for the non-Atom Kimsufi servers

@darkimmortal said:
    It is good to see such a fair approach being taken. Hetzner decimated the low end auction segment with 30%+ price rises to avoid any server being provided at a loss.

OVH is selling servers that could be pulling 150W+ continuous for 15 eur/mo. Even with a 10% rise they are unlikely to be making any profit on that. Here's hoping 'around 10%' does not mean a lot more than 10% for the power-hungry Kimsufi servers

1 gets billions in VC funding, the other is an actual business.

Francisco

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@mosquitoguy said:
    A dead universe doesn't judge. You create your own problems by judging.

Whataboutist detected.

People outside of russia are used to think, sorry if you find that fact disturbing.

What killed previous electricity prices is delirium about "green energy", which is obviously neither sufficient, nor cheap. And dependance on some unreliable exporters of hydrocarbon. And reliance on hydrocarbon in general without proper alternatives. Inflation would have been high enough even without this war, everything just adds up.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2022

Does anyone know how much do they pay per kWh in France?

From some numbers I googled, It seems like my 10 EUR/mo server might cost them 9 EUR/mo in electricity.

Or 18 EUR/mo if I do a 100% CPU load.

@darkimmortal said: OVH is selling servers that could be pulling 150W+ continuous for 15 eur/mo. Even with a 10% rise they are unlikely to be making any profit on that. Here's hoping 'around 10%' does not mean a lot more than 10% for the non-Atom Kimsufi servers

And it might be finally the changeover point from "keep running old hardware and rent out at reducing prices" with migration of ranges through OVH->SYS->KS, to "replace old hardware regardless, it's too inefficient".

• Let's hope for some newer server models no matter if price increases even more. The old tin is useless for most modern apps anyways (at least I didn't find a better usecase than storage at Kimsufi range).

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@mosquitoguy said:

“Very complicated” is good excuse + we do have someone to blame, the rest no one cares 😂

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@webcraft said: The old tin is useless for most modern apps anyways (at least I didn't find a better usecase than storage at Kimsufi range).

Aside from the Atoms of the first couple of models, the rest are at least Core i5 or Xeon E3, your code must be really inefficient and unoptimized if those are not enough.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

So every provider will increase the prices not just OVH.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@Smith42 said:
    English version (For OVH US) - https://blog.ovhcloud.com/ovhcloud-price-adjustments-in-2022-and-2023/

It might be they have no choice. Someone was saying that Serverius just announced 0.78EUR/KWH, that's 1000EUR/month or more per 2000W's. You'll normally put 4000 - 5000W to a rack, so you're 2000EUR/month+ just in power, nevermind the base rack price and everything else. That works out to 50EUR/month per U, give or take.

A friend of mine is saying Germany will break 1EUR/KWH at some point soon.

By all means, maybe I screwed up my math, but that's pretty wild.

Francisco

Your math is pretty close. At 0.78EUR/KWh at 720h per month (if month == 30 days), that's 561EUR per 1KW, so over 1100EUR for 2KW.

And it's insane. Everything in EU is insane lately. I have two major projects in FRA and AMS put on hold, due to the instability in the energy market across all of the EU. And the worst thing - winter is coming.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • BertieBertie Member
    edited August 2022

There haven't been significant electricity price increases in Quebec, Canada. Most of the power generated is hydroelectric, which is independent of gas and oil prices. Any speculation on whether it'll significantly affect pricing in the BHS location as much as other EU services? (Obviously I'm aware things like labour costs factor into any pricing decision).

Would be annoying if BHS had a price increase but not sure how they could sustain different pricing by location anyways, leading me to suspect that it'll also be subject to a 10% increase.

• @darkimmortal said:

OVH is selling servers that could be pulling 150W+ continuous for 15 eur/mo. Even with a 10% rise they are unlikely to be making any profit on that. Here's hoping 'around 10%' does not mean a lot more than 10% for the non-Atom Kimsufi servers

They said they will announce the price increase per server "price increase of around 10%". I presume the lower end ranges will be closer to 20%

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@rm_ said: Does anyone know how much do they pay per kWh in France?

https://euenergy.live/

OVH is paying less than that, but still it is crazy.

Thanked by 2Amfy martheen
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2022

Will be interesting later to see prices for New Services on their website as it says 10% for "existing".
    Of course they don't want to loose to Many customers and might only increase some of the Extra costs and suck the rest of it.

That's how we will do it as well. + New Investments/expansion to Balance out.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @vero said:
    What killed previous electricity prices is delirium about "green energy", which is obviously neither sufficient, nor cheap. And dependance on some unreliable exporters of hydrocarbon. And reliance on hydrocarbon in general without proper alternatives. Inflation would have been high enough even without this war, everything just adds up.

so, what you're saying is that green energy is statistically insignificant. it was there before the ukraine invasion and it was there when putin invaded. your paragraph is about nothing. I see you're not used to thinking. what killed previous electricity prices is the sanction on russia.

• emghemgh Member

Aaaaaaaand the thread is taken over by LET’s finest political commentators☠️

• @Bertie said:
    There haven't been significant electricity price increases in Quebec, Canada. Most of the power generated is hydroelectric, which is independent of gas and oil prices. Any speculation on whether it'll significantly affect pricing in the BHS location as much as other EU services? (Obviously I'm aware things like labour costs factor into any pricing decision).

Would be annoying if BHS had a price increase but not sure how they could sustain different pricing by location anyways, leading me to suspect that it'll also be subject to a 10% increase.

I've also read they're trying to fast track wind generation in Newfoundland to export hydrogen (or the likes) for Germany. Going to be a cash cow to Newfoundland.

• TomzTomz Member

well i presume only country with significant electricity price that OVH may raise price a bit , by example Canada and Asia not impacted and as result they shouldn't raise price in those DC.
    Normally we should have difference price for server based on xEu country

@Tomz said:
    well i presume only country with significant electricity price that OVH may raise price a bit , by example Canada and Asia not impacted and as result they shouldn't raise price in those DC.

It's possible they'll raise everyone to help offset the amount that the EU datacenters should go up by.

Francisco

Thanked by 1lentro
  • TomzTomz Member

@Francisco said:

@Tomz said:

It's possible they'll raise everyone to help offset the amount that the EU datacenters should go up by.

Francisco

That would be a risky argument if they choose that path...
    Anyway i only have 2 server with them with no contract, i can cancel anytime like i did with hetzner
    Also i presume they will do the same like hetzner did by allowing people having server with contrat to be able to cancel the product if the price raise doesnt suit them.
    also wondering for people with 2year contract...

on any case every company will try to make the balancing and choose best approach

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@DanSummer said: Spineless individuals like you is exactly why russia did what they did.

spineless people like you keep supporting countries who is helping extend the war as far as possible , now enjoy the price hike

Thanked by 1miu