Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you interested in a guide how to run services at location A, while traffic goes via location B?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you interested in a guide how to run services at location A, while traffic goes via location B?

luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
edited August 2022 in General

There seems to be some demand for exotic locations, just for having an exit point or
some other requests such as cheaper prices. I could possibly make a guide about how
to get a VPN subscription for almost any geo location (well 100+ countries) and run your
services on any server, or at home, while routing all the stuff you need over VPN and exit
points in the country you want. Fully customizable.
This will probably take me a few hours to write, so I want to hear if you need it or already
done something similar (as I did for myself for Netflix with a provider in US with Cogent IP pool).

Cheers.

Comments

• I'd be more interested to see guide on homeserver setup with remote VPS as gateway and public ipv4 for whatever is running in the homeserver.

I.e.

Use hetzner VPS as public IP to your homeserver, and somehow make a tunnel between them and expose VPS IP inside the homeserver for it's services.

• @stefeman said: Use hetzner VPS as public IP to your homeserver, and somehow make a tunnel between them and expose VPS IP inside the homeserver for it's services.

You don't need my guide for this my friend. Just install a wireguard server on Hetzner and
    exclude your home IPs. Or just forward ports.

• ****> @stefeman said:

I'd be more interested to see guide on homeserver setup with remote VPS as gateway and public ipv4 for whatever is running in the homeserver.

I.e.

Use hetzner VPS as public IP to your homeserver, and somehow make a tunnel between them and expose VPS IP inside the homeserver for it's services.

You can use reverse SSH with 'GatewayPorts yes' in sshd config.

• @stefeman said:
    I'd be more interested to see guide on homeserver setup with remote VPS as gateway and public ipv4 for whatever is running in the homeserver.

I.e.

I use OpenVPN for this.
    Connect your home server to OpenVPN Server, then on OpenVPN Server setup nginx as a reverse proxy

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Hi, how about setting up a gre tunnel between two vps with single IP? Tunnel all traffic from one to another (including all ports).

• @dosai said: Hi, how about setting up a gre tunnel between two vps with single IP? Tunnel all traffic from one to another (including all ports).

Not really possible when you get a VPN account from some provider, you don't get an actual box
    just a Wireguard/OpenVPN keys. Obviously GRE can work when you control both endpoints, but
    this is not the goal of this setup.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I am interested in such a guide.

• TomzTomz Member

how about running like 2 different vpn company on the same machine
    and route specific urls via specific vpn only and others url not specified to be run from server ip

• @Tomz said: how about running like 2 different vpn company on the same machine

and route specific urls via specific vpn only and others url not specified to be run from server ip

Totally possible to configure policy based routing, which in general what I was planning to write about, but the URLs part you mentioned is a tricky thing. Since we do it all on IP level, the routing
    tables and iptables have zero knowledge about "URLs". We need another solution to resolve them
    first and then apply routes on the fly, and it gets trickier in case the host is behind Cloudflare.
    We can do it for a selected ASN for example, such as all those "Netflix unblocking" VPNs do,
    like routing AWS and Akamai via specific hosts, but this won't be covered in the use-case I want
    to demonstrate. This is more for people getting a Hetzner box, but making all traffic enter and exit
    via some "exotic" location like Iceland. Hope it makes more sense to you.

Thanked by 1Tomz
  • TomzTomz Member

@luckypenguin said:

Totally possible to configure policy based routing, which in general what I was planning to write about, but the URLs part you mentioned is a tricky thing. Since we do it all on IP level, the routing
    tables and iptables have zero knowledge about "URLs". We need another solution to resolve them
    first and then apply routes on the fly, and it gets trickier in case the host is behind Cloudflare.

I'm okay to put IP instead of Urls so it make your guide easy

Other thing i was looking to, is how that Smart DNS company actually really work

Which mean instead of running VPN , just change DNS ip of your server to their DNS IP

How does it work in their back side in in practice term

Regards

• @Tomz said: Other thing i was looking to, is how that Smart DNS company actually really work

Which mean instead of running VPN , just change DNS ip of your server to their DNS IP

Quite easy, many content providers such as Netflix determine your location by DNS requests,
    so if you query their streaming APIs (after logging to the site) via residential IP you will be allowed
    to stream the content from that specific country. I personally went one step further and just got
    a US VPS on a Cogent 38.0.0.0/8 net, works great for all services so I don't need to manually
    debug stuff every once in a while. But we are getting a little bit off the original topic here :)

• TomzTomz Member

@luckypenguin said:

@Tomz said: Other thing i was looking to, is how that Smart DNS company actually really work

Quite easy, many content providers such as Netflix determine your location by DNS requests,
    so if you query their streaming APIs (after logging to the site) via residential IP you will be allowed
    to stream the content from that specific country. I personally went one step further and just got
    a US VPS on a Cogent 38.0.0.0/8 net, works great for all services so I don't need to manually
    debug stuff every once in a while. But we are getting a little bit off the original topic here :)

Sorry for it went off topic , but what i meant if i would like to make a DNS Requests Server like smart dns Does

Would i need a must residential ip? or some tricky headers forward data
    because if that the case u will need residential ip for each country service

What i mean:
    Server side : Get a VPS (let's say Germany) will be used as DNS Proxy for let's say NetFlix (us) & BBC (uk) (just example)
    Client side : Connect to the VPS DNS.

How we will setup the DNS proxy in server side to trick by Location of DNS
    Let's say i will provide Netflix & BBC IP

I just want to know how that work in coding part

and Yes sorry again but interesting in your VPN thing

• Totally interested

• Get a residential or mixed-type IP in your desired country, set up BIND/PowerDNS/DNSMasq,
    point your clients to use custom DNS in their settings, profit.
    The key here is getting a residential IP to use for DNS queries, could be tricky. Cogent IPs work
    great so far since they lease large blocks to ISPs as well, but for US only, not sure about UK.

Thanked by 1Tomz
  • TomzTomz Member

@luckypenguin said:
    Get a residential or mixed-type IP in your desired country, set up BIND/PowerDNS/DNSMasq,
    point your clients to use custom DNS in their settings, profit.
    The key here is getting a residential IP to use for DNS queries, could be tricky. Cogent IPs work
    great so far since they lease large blocks to ISPs as well, but for US only, not sure about UK.

I see appreciated so i presume on those company offering smart DNS proxy for different service have all residential ip/server in all specific country service...

• @Tomz said: I see appreciated so i presume on those company offering smart DNS proxy for different service have all residential ip/server in all specific country service...

Yeah it's quite cheap and easy. A DNS server barely consumes any resources and the resell
    value is thousand fold, they could even afford doing a completely unique solutions such as using
    US/UK/JP sim cards in roaming mode from any place in the world, thus getting true residential IPs
    which rotate upon reconnect, etc.

Thanked by 1Tomz
  • @luckypenguin said:

@dosai said: Hi, how about setting up a gre tunnel between two vps with single IP? Tunnel all traffic from one to another (including all ports).

Not really possible when you get a VPN account from some provider, you don't get an actual box
    just a Wireguard/OpenVPN keys. Obviously GRE can work when you control both endpoints, but

No, I meant - can you write one which I've asked.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Yes.

• @luckypenguin said:

@dosai said: Hi, how about setting up a gre tunnel between two vps with single IP? Tunnel all traffic from one to another (including all ports).

it is. I would buy hetzner VPS so I'd have both endpoints under my control.