Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING: Nomad cross-chain bridge has been hacked with over $190,000,000 stolen.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BREAKING: Nomad cross-chain bridge has been hacked with over $190,000,000 stolen.

Tony40Tony40 Member

Nomad Bridge Hacked, Nearly All Funds Drained.

Nomad bridge is the latest crypto project to be the victim of a hack. The hackers made away with nearly all of the funds in the wallet. According to DeFi Llama, the total amount taken was $190.7 million. Nomad is a bridge that allows transfer between Avalanche (AVAX), Ethereum (ETH), Evmos (EVMOS), Milkomeda C1, and Moonbeam (GLMR).

https://watcher.guru/news/nomad-bridge-hacked-nearly-all-funds-drained?c=142

#Cryptocurrency #Bitcoin #CyberCriminal #Hacker

Thanked by 1jsg

Comments

• Apparently you could just copy-paste the malicious transaction, put your own address in, and it would work and send you coins. lol

• ArkasArkas Moderator

And we work for a living...

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2022

More food for North Koreans Kim Jong Un.

Thanked by 2Tony40 TimboJones
  • And we work for a living...

Thanked by 2Arkas Logano
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Trust crypto-"money"!!! Crypto-"money" is the future!!! Crypto-"money" is safe!!!

• tjntjn Member

@Arkas said:
    And we work for a living...

I was just thinking the same

Thanked by 2Arkas Logano
  • @jsg said:
    Trust crypto-"money"!!! Crypto-"money" is the future!!! Crypto-"money" is safe!!!

As rarely as I agree with you you're spot on with this.

Thanked by 1pike
  • edited August 2022

Nomad is an optimistic interoperability protocol that enables secure cross-chain communication.

https://docs.nomad.xyz/nomad-101/introduction

Turns out it's very optimistic and not all that secure either.*

*this is not meant to be a true technical evaluation of the technologies behind Nomad.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

well from my little time in this community, i have only seen Tony40 post these kinds of stuff.

Maybe he's somehow related to all these hackers?
    May I please request the investigation of LowendDetectives?

• @FatGrizzly said:
    well from my little time in this community, i have only seen Tony40 post these kinds of stuff.

He is our news reporter.. that's why he's posting such news, no collusion.

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly Tony40
  • coldcold Member

@webcraft said:

@FatGrizzly said:

He is our news reporter.. that's why he's posting such news, no collusion.

is he a insider ?

• @jsg said:

That's like saying dollars are not safe because it's possible to rob a bank.
    Human mistakes and stupidity when deploying services based on crypto does not mean that crypto itself is broken.

Thanked by 2hadawayandplay seenu
  • @rcy026 said:

@jsg said:

Human mistakes and stupidity when deploying services based on crypto does not mean that crypto itself is broken.

Crypto in itself is fine. But nothing about it is "decentralized" anymore.

• @serv_ee said:

@rcy026 said:

@jsg said:

Crypto in itself is fine. But nothing about it is "decentralized" anymore.

Sadly, that is true. While there are a few attempts to keep it as it was intended, it does seem to run towards centralized and regulated.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

What if nomad owner felt that when he can have hell lot of money at once, why wait for penny commission for each transaction, so they created all this story of hack ?

Thanked by 2vedran Chuck
  • ralfralf Member

I normally hate twitter for this kind of thing, but at least it explains clearly and simply (over the first 10 or so tweets) what the problem was:

Thanked by 2webcraft that_guy
  • People rush to steal some of the $190 million in the Nomad bridge after an exploit is discovered

After an attacker began exploiting a vulnerability in the Nomad bridge, many people rushed to replicate the attack and steal some of the roughly $190 million of various cryptocurrencies in the bridge. Some didn't seem to think through the consequences of using wallets tied to their real-life identities to exploit the vulnerability, which should be interesting to watch.
    Nomad posted on Discord and tweeted that they were "aware of the incident" and "investigating", but the attack was ongoing over an hour after the acknowledgement.

Four days before the attack, Nomad announced that they'd raised a $22.4 million seed round from investors including Coinbase, OpenSea, and Crypto.com.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited August 2022

@ralf said:
    I normally hate twitter for this kind of thing, but at least it explains clearly and simply (over the first 10 or so tweets) what the problem was:

LOL!

People, laugh at banks all you want but this shit is hilarious.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @ralf said:
    I normally hate twitter for this kind of thing

For a slightly less encumbered view, try nitter.net: https://nitter.net/samczsun/status/1554252024723546112
    (though it is responding very slowly ATM, so you might want to locate a reliable instance elsewhere)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@rcy026

Well, banks usually do not process unproven (transaction) messages and neither do they (well, their systems) accept all 0x00 hashes.
    Oh and btw in most civilized countries one gets reimbursed fully or at least in part if a back f_cks up.

TL;DR What happened there happened because some careless and clueless idiots ignored basic security 101.

Thanked by 3Arkas Chuck that_guy
  • @jsg said:
    @rcy026

Well, banks usually do not process unproven (transaction) messages and neither do they (well, their systems) accept all 0x00 hashes.

Neither does serious cryptoexchanges. But that is a feature in the overlaying systems, not in the currency itself. Compare currency to currency and every crypto is magnitudes more secure then any fiat. Fiat currency have basically zero security, besides the "well it looks like a dollar so it probably is". All the other security features lies in the systems we have built on top of it to be able to even use fiat currency in a modern society.

TL;DR What happened there happened because some careless and clueless idiots ignored basic security 101.

Exactly my point.

• Today's cryptocurrency has a singular purpose: efficiently transferring value from stupid people to smart people. For that and only that it works great. For anything else, not so much.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2022

@rcy026 said:
    Fiat currency have basically zero security, besides the "well it looks like a dollar so it probably is".

Do you still live in a country with paper money instead of one of these synthetic/plastic coloured money? While not perfect, I can't agree with "basically zero security" given the dozen security features to help prevent counterfeiting. It's just not a problem like it was 30 years ago where basic printers could fool basic people.

Edit: I'd also say counterfeit bills will generally get tipped off by "feel" first and then inspected closely by eye.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jsg said:

Crypto money is normally safe, but project or bridges developed by idiots never will be safe, you can compare to roads and bridges, normally it’s safe do drive around unless you get some idiots who thinks that they are cleaver to speed or F1 drivers 😂

• @TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:
    Fiat currency have basically zero security, besides the "well it looks like a dollar so it probably is".

Do you still live in a country with paper money instead of one of these synthetic/plastic coloured money? While not perfect, I can't agree with "basically zero security" given the dozen security features to help prevent counterfeiting. It's just not a problem like it was 30 years ago where basic printers could fool basic people.

Thank you for repeating exactly what I said.
    "All the other security features lies in the systems we have built on top of it to be able to even use fiat currency in a modern society."