Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reliable VPS provider with 6GB+ RAM, 50GB+ SSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reliable VPS provider with 6GB+ RAM, 50GB+ SSD

I'm looking for:

• 6GB RAM. 8GB+ ideal
  • 50GB+ SSD. NVMe SSD if possible
  • 1TB monthly transfer
  • Reliable
  • Anywhere in the world, but west coast USA (e.g. Los Angeles, San Jose, Fremont, Seattle, etc) is best.
  • Not a 10-year-old Xeon processor
  • Ideally <$10/month, but flexible if it's a very good provider.

By "reliable" I mean a host that has been in business for a long time, isn't just one person running it in their free time, has quick support response times for critical issues, posts notifications about network/server outages, and catches server downtime before I do.

I've used Hetzner Cloud in the past and they were good, but I'm interested in other opinions.

I found PHP-Friends and their pricing seems unusually good? They're in Germany rather than USA, but their "vServer S SSD G3 AMD" has 2 dedicated cores, 10GB RAM, 80GB NVMe, guaranteed IO performance, for €6.71 with a 12-month contract (ex VAT). I emailed their support asking if they speak English (to see how fast they reply) and they replied in less than 2 minutes. I've seen positive posts about them on this forum - would you recommend them?

Comments

• servzenservzen Member, Host Rep

France (OVH) possible as location?

Thanked by 1AK_KWH
  • I would recommend you to try out server-factory.com
    I snagged on a deal a few months back and have 8 GB RAM and 2 dedicated cores, 100 GB SSD for 5.4 eur a month. I opted for the older epyc cpu's because my budget was lower but you can ideally go for the ryzen options (when they are back in stock).

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SmartHost, one of the best quality VPS.

• @servzen said:

Ideally I'm not looking for providers that just resell other providers, if that's what you mean. OVHcloud VPSes are outside my price range.

@tmepy said: I would recommend you to try out server-factory.com

There's barely any info on their site, no details about the company at all, and the WHOIS of their IP just points to one person named Maximilian Jacobsen. I suspect this provider might not match my "isn't just one person running it in their free time" requirement.

• @yoursunny said:

Looks like they're outside the price range, but if they're very good then I could make an exception...

• szarkaszarka Member
    edited August 2022

Others here will surely disagree, but if you want large storage and memory on a budget, then SSDNodes is a decent option. Their marketing is annoying (list prices are high, but everything is perpetually available as "the deal of a lifetime" via their daily emails), and they definitely oversell, so the reaction here is understandable. But I buy the cheapest three-year plans, and they cheerfully refund the remaining balance as store credit when I'm done with them.

Your mileage may vary depending on who else is on the node, but I've had a good experience with them in several different locations. Is it as good as the raw specs make it sound? No. Is it a good value for the (always-discounted) price? Yes. Disk speeds are reasonable. Network performance is not as stellar as you might expect from 10 gbps, but it's consistently as good or better than on 1 gbps hosts. I haven't had any outages to speak of, but my tickets for other things always get a reasonably-prompt replies.

One weirdness is that they don't configure the hosts with swap at all. Though with the large amount of RAM, that's never been an issue for me. One plus is that they do support PTR records for IPv6, though IIRC you do have to open a ticket to do it for some locations.

Here's a current yabs from one of their deluxe plans that's costing me $12.29/month in Chicago:

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2022-06-11

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

Mon Aug 1 01:06:32 UTC 2022

Basic System Information:

Uptime : 4 days, 15 hours, 5 minutes
    Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4216 CPU @ 2.10GHz
    CPU cores : 12 @ 2099.998 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 94.4 GiB
    Swap : 0.0 KiB
    Disk : 1.8 TiB
    Distro : AlmaLinux 8.6 (Sky Tiger)
    Kernel : 4.18.0-372.16.1.el8_6.x86_64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 136.21 MB/s (34.0k) 1.60 GB/s (25.1k)
    Write 136.57 MB/s (34.1k) 1.61 GB/s (25.2k)
    Total 272.78 MB/s (68.1k) 3.22 GB/s (50.3k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 8.37 GB/s (16.3k) 1.92 GB/s (1.8k)
    Write 8.81 GB/s (17.2k) 2.05 GB/s (2.0k)
    Total 17.18 GB/s (33.5k) 3.97 GB/s (3.8k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 2.00 Gbits/sec | 2.01 Gbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 2.48 Gbits/sec | 2.05 Gbits/sec
    Hybula | The Netherlands (40G) | 1.81 Gbits/sec | 1.90 Gbits/sec
    Uztelecom | Tashkent, UZ (10G) | 1.14 Gbits/sec | 951 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 5.38 Gbits/sec | 6.33 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Dallas, TX, US (10G) | 7.60 Gbits/sec | 6.65 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 3.09 Gbits/sec | 3.85 Gbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 678
    Multi Core | 5676

• @yoursunny said:

Very much this.
    They quietly add more and more US locations, that are not super duper popular. Very nice!

Thanked by 2skorous yoursunny
  • @NobodyInteresting said:

@yoursunny said:

Very much this.
    They quietly add more and more US locations, that are not super duper popular. Very nice!

Boston? Now that's one you don't see much. Could be good for my customers in New England…

• @szarka said:
    Others here will surely disagree, but if you want large storage and memory on a budget, then SSDNodes is a decent option. Their marketing is annoying (list prices are high, but everything is perpetually available as "the deal of a lifetime" via their daily emails), and they definitely oversell, so the reaction here is understandable. But I buy the cheapest three-year plans, and they cheerfully refund the remaining balance as store credit when I'm done with them.

Your mileage may vary depending on who else is on the node, but I've had a good experience with them in several different locations. Is it as good as the raw specs make it sound? No. Is it a good value for the (always-discounted) price? Yes. Disk speeds are reasonable. Network performance is not as stellar as you might expect from 10 gbps, but it's consistently as good or better than on 1 gbps hosts. I haven't had any outages to speak of, but my tickets for other things always get a reasonably-prompt replies.

One weirdness is that they don't configure the hosts with swap at all. Though with the large amount of RAM, that's never been an issue for me. One plus is that they do support PTR records for IPv6, though IIRC you do have to open a ticket to do it for some locations.

Here's a current yabs from one of their deluxe plans that's costing me $12.29/month in Chicago:

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2022-06-11

| | |

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 678
    Multi Core | 5676

Windows/Plex is allowed on these ones? This was a annual pricing?

• Netcup RS 1000 G9.5

• szarkaszarka Member
    edited August 2022

@lala_th said:

@szarka said:

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2022-06-11

| | |

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 678
    Multi Core | 5676

Windows/Plex is allowed on these ones? This was a annual pricing?

No idea about that. Windows is just a GUI I use for my SSH sessions and web browser. ;) The pricing I gave above was one of their "special" deals, at the three-year discount. They regularly have similar pricing, e.g., $3.25/month (i.e. $117/3 years) for 8 GB RAM w/ 100 GB disk.

I really think they aren't doing themselves any favors with their marketing. If they marketed what they deliver honestly, I suspect more folks here would be OK with them.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

Very much this.

On that note…Wisconsin and West Virginia coming online this week, and Indiana later in August.

~SmartHost

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Contabo

• Another vote for SmartHost here.

• ralfralf Member

@Daniel15 said:

@servzen said:

Ideally I'm not looking for providers that just resell other providers, if that's what you mean. OVHcloud VPSes are outside my price range.

@tmepy said: I would recommend you to try out server-factory.com

There's barely any info on their site, no details about the company at all, and the WHOIS of their IP just points to one person named Maximilian Jacobsen. I suspect this provider might not match my "isn't just one person running it in their free time" requirement.

Yeah, it is just one guy. I grabbed one of his first batches of VPS and it's been very solid and reliable so far so I grabbed another when he sold some more. But my use case is just having it as one of several redundant nodes, so I'm happy to go with providers with less of a history.

• PjottertjahPjottertjah Member, Host Rep

Hi! Might one of our vpses suit you? https://corehosting.nl/vps.php
    8GB RAM costs only €7,60/mo :smile:

• PHP-Friends are the best or if you need more options check Netcup.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2022

I ended up signing up for a VPS with GreenCloudVPS, since they have good reviews on here, and their live + ticket support are both very responsive. I'm a bit worried about the CPU usage quotas in the Terms of Service but I guess we'll see how that goes. It's a preorder so I don't actually have the VPS yet.

I'll keep some of the other providers mentioned here in mind in case it doesn't work out.

@Pjottertjah said:
    Hi! Might one of our vpses suit you? https://corehosting.nl/vps.php
    8GB RAM costs only €7,60/mo :smile:

Disk space is too small :(

@ralf said: Yeah, it is just one guy.

That's exactly what I don't want :tongue: I've used hosts ran by one person (like Wishosting), and they're usually good, but not really responsive for support.

Thanked by 1Donkey
  • SiliCloudSiliCloud Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Hi, Dear take a look at SiliCloud. We can meet you require.

Price calculator:
    https://www.silicloud.com/product/cvm-buy

• pkrpkr Member

@szarka said:

SSDNodes Texas location is the best. They have mostly Gold CPU for both basic and performance plans in Texas. Also, Texas does not seem overcrowded like their other locations. I would suggest avoiding their NY and LA locations as per my experience. The best thing is that SSDNodes seems very stable.

• kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

@Daniel15 said:
    I'm looking for:

• 6GB RAM. 8GB+ ideal
    • 50GB+ SSD. NVMe SSD if possible
    • 1TB monthly transfer
    • Reliable
    • Anywhere in the world, but west coast USA (e.g. Los Angeles, San Jose, Fremont, Seattle, etc) is best.
    • Not a 10-year-old Xeon processor
    • Ideally <$10/month, but flexible if it's a very good provider.

By "reliable" I mean a host that has been in business for a long time, isn't just one person running it in their free time, has quick support response times for critical issues, posts notifications about network/server outages, and catches server downtime before I do.

I've used Hetzner Cloud in the past and they were good, but I'm interested in other opinions.

I found PHP-Friends and their pricing seems unusually good? They're in Germany rather than USA, but their "vServer S SSD G3 AMD" has 2 dedicated cores, 10GB RAM, 80GB NVMe, guaranteed IO performance, for €6.71 with a 12-month contract (ex VAT). I emailed their support asking if they speak English (to see how fast they reply) and they replied in less than 2 minutes. I've seen positive posts about them on this forum - would you recommend them?

Hey! I can offer you this:
    2vCore @ 3.0Ghz
    6GB DDR3
    60GB NVMe
    2TB Bandwidth
    Los Angeles, USA (Equinix LA3)
    @ $10/mo

2 months off if you're paying annually.

Let me know if you're interested!

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @SmartHost said:

Very much this.

On that note…Wisconsin and West Virginia coming online this week, and Indiana later in August.

~SmartHost

I got a "spam" mail from your company today. Honestly, can't remember ever signing up for anything with you. That lead me to believe some other hosting company I have account with shared my email with you.

Seven day promotional offer that will allow you to test the quality of our services.

SmartHost - is the choice for professionals. We provide services in a wide range of hosting. We build customer trust by providing services at the highest possible level. We always care about safety, and our hardware on which your services are based is always the most advanced technology.

We build our network based on privacy protection and performance. Therefore, we are able to offer comprehensive solutions and provide services at the highest level.

Thanks to our promotion - you can test VPS services at a much lower price. With this discount, you will get some of the most efficient servers at a phenominal price.

Each of our VPS includes:

•  Blazing Fast NVME SSD Disks
    •  SolusVM VPS Control Panel
    •  99.99% Guaranteed Uptime
    •  1000GB Bandwidth / 1Gbps Port
    •  Fully Customizable Resources

Our servers are available in 20+ locations throughout the United States & Europe.

Your discount code: K#######

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@DanSummer said: That lead me to believe some other hosting company I have account with shared my email with you.

You could've been a customer of one of the companies they've acquired.

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • @DP said:

@DanSummer said: That lead me to believe some other hosting company I have account with shared my email with you.

LetBox and VaporNode are two of the well-known ones.

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@SmartHost said:

Very much this.

~SmartHost

Shit, only just noticed how many uncommon locations you have in the US - that's awesome.

Ever considered doing a mega NAT bundle of them all (or even a mega bundle in general) - would be ideal for network monitoring stuff.

• @LordSpock said:

@SmartHost said:

Very much this.

~SmartHost

Shit, only just noticed how many uncommon locations you have in the US - that's awesome.

Ever considered doing a mega NAT bundle of them all (or even a mega bundle in general) - would be ideal for network monitoring stuff.

Great idea. Or not NAT> @pkr said:

@szarka said:

SSDNodes Texas location is the best. They have mostly Gold CPU for both basic and performance plans in Texas. Also, Texas does not seem overcrowded like their other locations. I would suggest avoiding their NY and LA locations as per my experience. The best thing is that SSDNodes seems very stable.

Yes, in addition to Chicago, I'm getting good results from Texas, and also Seattle. Haven't tested the other enough to comment fairly, but my recollection is that NYC could have been better.

@DP said:

This is most likely the case.
    We've acquired over a dozen brands in the past 4-5 years, and not done any mailings for even longer than that...so this could be the first mailing done from that database.

Just unsubscribe if you don't want it, it is removed instantly, and never added back even if another company we acquire has you on their list as well in the future. ;-)

~ SMARTHOST

Thanked by 1DanSummer

@LordSpock said:

Well, we have the Cloud product that will let you spin up multiple VPS in any location you want from the purchased resources.
    We also have a Resource/Reseller Pool product coming online any time now that is suitable for such as well...been under development a long time, but the modules finally just completed to our liking.

~ SMARTHOST