Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Partiality with DirectAdmin over cPanel by OVH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Partiality with DirectAdmin over cPanel by OVH

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited July 2022 in Providers

This has been discussed in past but I think wouldn't be bad to bring it again since we have now @OVH_APAC here helping out community with OVH related issues and discussion. So thing is that, in OVH eco system, you can't order DirectAdmin internal license on FailOver IPs or in other words, add-on IPs. You can only order DA with primary IP of the server you received.

On the other hand, you can buy cPanel license on any of the IP, be it FO or Primary. Please tell us OVH, why you have this partiality with DirectAdmin. Is there some kind of agreement between you and cPanel to not to offer DA on FO ips, hope you understand that you are forcing your customer to choose cPanel over DA and devoidng them from fair choice of hosting panel.

Comments

• Did you submit a ticket or call them?

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

A smart spot to open this thread, I can already see it'll trigger a huge public response from OVH.

What's a ticket anyway? Asking for a friend.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I've submitted tickets about this exact thing and their response has basically just been 🤷🏼‍♂️.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@Saahib said:
    This has been discussed in past but I think wouldn't be bad to bring it again since we have now @OVH_APAC here helping out community with OVH related issues and discussion. So thing is that, in OVH eco system, you can't order DirectAdmin internal license on FailOver IPs or in other words, add-on IPs. You can only order DA with primary IP of the server you received.

On the other hand, you can buy cPanel license on any of the IP, be it FO or Primary. Please tell us OVH, why you have this partiality with DirectAdmin. Is there some kind of agreement between you and cPanel to not to offer DA on FO ips, hope you understand that you are forcing your customer to choose cPanel over DA and devoidng them from fair choice of hosting panel.

What was the conclusion of the past discussions or response from OVH

• JasonMJasonM Member

their company. their choice.
    :(

• @Saahib

Our new licensing system is a lot more flexible, which means your license key should function anywhere within the server provider's IP space. To get your key, run:

/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin l

By default, that key should work anywhere within OVH's IP space, and you shouldn't need to open a ticket with OVH to enable this. :smile:

Please understand that this is not a guarantee. Providers can IP-restrict licenses to any extent they wish, especially if they have an arrangement with another control panel to make DA offerings less appealing. The only way to know for sure is to wait for their official response or test the key on a different IP :neutral:

• @DA_Mark said:
    @Saahib

Our new licensing system is a lot more flexible, which means your license key should function anywhere within the server provider's IP space. To get your key, run:

By default, that key should work anywhere within OVH's IP space, and you shouldn't need to open a ticket with OVH to enable this. :smile:

Please understand that this is not a guarantee. Providers can IP-restrict licenses to any extent they wish, especially if they have an arrangement with another control panel to make DA offerings less appealing. The only way to know for sure is to wait for their official response or test the key on a different IP :neutral:

I think he is talking about the internal license provided by OVH?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@ReadingIsFundamental ,
    I had submitted ticket, response was that they don't offer, thats it, no explanation. There was another discussion here and I had moved away some services from them after it.

@wdmg ,
    but its opposite here, @OVH_APAC are actually avoiding any official comment on this.

@LordSpock
    So I am not alone noticing this.

@JasonM
    Actually it seems so.

• tjntjn Member

Sorry for the offtopic - but how much is a DA license at OVH? Quick google rendered no results.

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

@Saahib said:
    @ReadingIsFundamental ,
    I had submitted ticket, response was that they don't offer, thats it, no explanation. There was another discussion here and I had moved away some services from them after it.

@wdmg ,
    but its opposite here, @OVH_APAC are actually avoiding any official comment on this.

@LordSpock
    So I am not alone noticing this.

@JasonM
    Actually it seems so.

Hello @Saahib, I have already requested more info internally as I don't have the answer myself, please be re-assured your question has not been ignored. If you have any ticket number related to this topic, could you please PM it to me?
    thank you!

Thanked by 2Logano eva2000
  • OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

@tjn said:
    Sorry for the offtopic - but how much is a DA license at OVH? Quick google rendered no results.

HEllo @tjn, this info is generally visible at the step 2 of the order process where you can add a paid option to your dedicated server.
    example

list of paid apps on Dedicated servers:

Thanked by 2Logano tjn
  • @OVH_APAC said:

@tjn said:

HEllo @tjn, this info is generally visible at the step 2 of the order process where you can add a paid option to your dedicated server.
    example

FYI, Doesn't show up on us.ovhcloud.com

• bulabula Member

I do see us.ovhcloud.com DA pricing for Dedicated server @ $14/mo
    However do not see an option to purchase DA license for VPS servers.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2022

@ReadingIsFundamental said:

@OVH_APAC said:

@tjn said:

example

This rep is for OVH APAC (Asia Pacific); they might not know about US offerings.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

OVH's US branch operates almost completely independently of their EU branch due to various regulations. So they run a different control panel (you need to separate accounts), etc... it's not surprising if they have different offerings on each.

Thanked by 1Logano

@DA_Mark said:
    @Saahib

I will check out, although chances are slim that it would work on just any IP on their network. Currently don't have any active service with them.

@bula said:

I do see us.ovhcloud.com DA pricing for Dedicated server @ $14/mo
    However do not see an option to purchase DA license for VPS servers.

It is because be it any region, OVH has specifically restricted DA license only for dedicated server primary IP.

@OVH_APAC said:
    Hello @Saahib, I have already requested more info internally as I don't have the answer myself, please be re-assured your question has not been ignored. If you have any ticket number related to this topic, could you please PM it to me?
    thank you!

I was hoping for some update or may be some good news like DA is now available on all IPs ?

• @DA_Mark said:
    Providers can IP-restrict licenses to any extent they wish, especially if they have an arrangement with another control panel to make DA offerings less appealing.

That's illegal in many places.

@TimboJones said:

@DA_Mark said:
    Providers can IP-restrict licenses to any extent they wish, especially if they have an arrangement with another control panel to make DA offerings less appealing.

That's illegal in many places.

@OVH_APAC, sir, any update ?

I was just checking casually and guess what, now we can't order DA license at all on any IP from OVH (be it primary IP or failover IP). Can anyone else confirm it ?

• @Saahib said:
    I was just checking casually and guess what, now we can't order DA license at all on any IP from OVH (be it primary IP or failover IP). Can anyone else confirm it ?

Yes, for a couple days (maybe weeks) already.

• When I purchased a server with SYS last year, I think I have seen licencing cpanel over FO IP was more than the physical IP.

I have my cpanel licensed over physical IP and using FO IP as main shared IP. No issues with it.