Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is US east coast the center of the world?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is US east coast the center of the world?

letloverletlover Member
edited July 2022 in General

Just did some pingdom tests:

EU to US 2-3 sec
EU to Asia 4-5 sec

Asia to EU 2.5-3 sec
Asia to US 2-3 sec

US E to EU 1.5-2 sec
US E to US W 1-1.5 sec
US E to Asia 2-3 sec

US East wins if your website viewers are all over the world.
EU web hosting is good enough for US E and W, but not for Asia.
Interestingly, Asia to EU is faster than EU to Asia. What can I say.

By my eyes, as long as less than 3 seconds, the website is totally acceptable. When it is over 5 seconds, the loading lag starts to annoy viewers. I don't think cdn is critical even hosting server is at EU and viewers are in NA, but not for Asian viewers.

Kudos to Hetzner Ashburn. Burn more ashes! LOL.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2022

yoursunny.com is hosted in Seattle (provider: SpartanHost).
    I have readers from worldwide, but due to historic reason half of them are from China, so that it makes sense to pull the server location toward there.

When I had 80% readers from China, I hosted in Singapore with premium China bandwidth (provider: OneAsiaHost).
    It's expensive and slow from USA, so I moved to USA West nowadays.

• Stop doing pingdom test please. It is flooding the LET as well Pingdom.

• @yoursunny said:
    I have readers from worldwide, but due to historic reason half of them are from China, so that it makes sense to pull the server location toward there.

When I had 80% readers from China, I hosted in Singapore with premium China bandwidth (provider: OneAsiaHost).

By pingdom test,
    yoursunny to asia 1.0 sec, to eu 1.5 sec, to us east 1 sec.
    all 90 scores
    pretty impressive.
    have you tried cdn? do you think cdn essential to your site?

• No, the center of world is the core.

• @yoursunny said:

how did you get score of 90? using js instead of css/html?

@letlover said:

@yoursunny said:

By pingdom test,
    all 90 scores
    pretty impressive.

You can see my source code via browser.
    It's not obfuscated in any way.

yoursunny.com is in Git and Completely Rebuilt describes how the website is coded.
    It also has links to website git repositories.
    yoursunny.com is Served by Caddy describes the server configuration.

I do not use Cloudflare because it has bad performance from China Telecom and China Unicom.
    I do not use paid CDN because I cannot afford it.

Most of static resources, such as Pure.css, are served from jsDelivr.
    jsDelivr is recently blocked in China so there has been some adjustments.
    English language pages are loading static resources from CDNJS, which has good speeds worldwide and accessible in China.
    Chinese language pages are loading static resources from Staticfile CDN, which has many locations in China but limited international locations.

Thanked by 2letlover atomi
  • @yoursunny said:

@letlover said:

@yoursunny said:

By pingdom test,
    all 90 scores
    pretty impressive.

You can see my source code via browser.
    It's not obfuscated in any way.

yoursunny.com is in Git and Completely Rebuilt describes how the website is coded.
    It also has links to website git repositories.
    yoursunny.com is Served by Caddy describes the server configuration.

I do not use Cloudflare because it has bad performance from China Telecom and China Unicom.
    I do not use paid CDN because I cannot afford it.

Most of static resources, such as Pure.css, are served from jsDelivr.
    jsDelivr is recently blocked in China so there has been some adjustments.
    English language pages are loading static resources from CDNJS, which has good speeds worldwide and accessible in China.
    Chinese language pages are loading static resources from Staticfile CDN, which has many locations in China but limited international locations.

your website ping results almost reach those using cdn.

• Indonesia is the center of the world. You can buy server in indonesia and feel how superior connectivity in this country

Thanked by 2Logano shelfchair

@letlover said:
    your website ping results almost reach those using cdn.

RIPE ATLAS measurements for ICMP traceroute to yoursunny.com suggests an RTT of 100~250 ms.
    I suppose good CDN can get it down to 30 ms, which translates to faster TLS connection establishment.

WebPageTest for yoursunny blog from Osaka Japan suggests that the blog index page is loaded in 1.2 seconds, in which the initial DNS + TCP + TLS took up 0.4 seconds.
    Paid CDN, with content already cached at the edge, could reduce this to 0.9 seconds.
    However, nobody would feel this small difference.

On that other hand, picking a server with higher RTT from the observer would increase page load time to about 3.0 seconds, which is still acceptable.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • KousakaKousaka Member
    edited July 2022

In my experience US west can reach most of the world with acceptable latency. My main server is hosted at Linode Fremont, 150ms to EU, 160ms o China, 180ms to SGP, 230ms to India, 170ms to Brazil and 300ms to South Africa. This latency is OK for webhosting.

Currently I’m just hosting static web pages (pre-generated HTML with some pictures), fast enough. Server program might mean more to user experience than bare ping results.

• KousakaKousaka Member
    edited July 2022

Posted by mistake, edited

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Obviously I'm biased, but I tend to agree with the others about US West. If you have customers/viewers evenly spread all over the globe and you had to pick one spot to host your server, major metros on the west coast of the USA will give you the most acceptable latency to reach all of them.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @BrianHarrison said:
    Obviously I'm biased, but I tend to agree with the others about US West. If you have customers/viewers evenly spread all over the globe and you had to pick one spot to host your server, major metros on the west coast of the USA will give you the most acceptable latency to reach all of them.

Probably this is why silicon valley is in US West.

• USA = the world according to some Americans

Thanked by 3lanefu dosai tjn
  • @dahartigan said:
    USA = the world according to some Americans

There was a saying: The US and the ROTW.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • chenxuhuachenxuhua Member
    edited July 2022

Currently my website is hosted in Shanghai (East China), but I'm considering move to West US.

• The "center of the world" is equidistant between the endpoint and you so it's always relative. The world is not a flat plane it's a sphere.

• zedzed Member

yes

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I would think the central U.S. would be best equipped. Has anyone tried comparing Yabs?

• The center of the world is Spain. Unless you're a round earther conspiracy nutjob.

• @hadawayandplay said:
    The "center of the world" is equidistant between the endpoint and you so it's always relative. The world is not a flat plane it's a sphere.

No. The location of the observer, "You", isn't relevant to the location of the center of a separate object.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited July 2022

US East is closer to EU, UK, Africa and Western part of Middle-East.
    US West is closer to East Asia, Up to HK, Singapore, and Australia too!

So it depends where your site users mostly live. If there are in major East site of the US, and EU, Africa, and Arab counties, then US East might be the preferred location of the server. Else, West.

Also it depends which network/ISP your users are using to connect to your server and how they are routed.

It can be too bad if user from EU visiting U.S East server was routed via UK to U.S. East but then re-routed to West, and back to East. lol.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2022

@letlover said: US East wins if your website viewers are all over the world.
    EU web hosting is good enough for US E and W, but not for Asia.
    Interestingly, Asia to EU is faster than EU to Asia. What can I say.

Curious why you didn't test US West Coast which is the center of EU and Asia? It's usually where I host. You can test with

Thanked by 1tjn
  • The equator and prime meridian intersect at Null Island near the west coast of Africa with 0,0 Latitude and Longitude.

You should try to get a VPS or a dedi on top of the buoy => 0, 0

(Image from Wiki)

• @rattlecattle said:
    The equator and prime meridian intersect at Null Island near the west coast of Africa with 0,0 Latitude and Longitude.

You should try to get a VPS or a dedi on top of the buoy => 0, 0

(Image from Wiki)

Interesting.

The nearest land (4°45′30″N 1°58′33″W) is 570 km (354 mi; 307.8 nmi) to the north – a small Ghanaian islet offshore from Achowa Point[2] between Akwidaa and Dixcove.

So, a server in Ghana would be the best option?

Thanked by 1rattlecattle
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

From my experience, UK is good for worldwide users.

Thanked by 2JasonM tjn
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

What about South America and Australia....

• @MrRadic said:
    What about South America and Australia....

Australia doesn’t have low ping to anywhere

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2022

Just get an IPv9 enabled server from @yoursunny based in Antarctica. Excellent ping rates and average DL/UL speeds worldwide are amazing! :sweat_smile:

Thanked by 2yoursunny Erisa