Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is US east coast the center of the world? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is US east coast the center of the world?

2»

Comments

• @eva2000 said:

@letlover said: US East wins if your website viewers are all over the world.
    EU web hosting is good enough for US E and W, but not for Asia.
    Interestingly, Asia to EU is faster than EU to Asia. What can I say.

Curious why you didn't test US West Coast which is the center of EU and Asia?

Lol, wut? Is that a Pangea joke or were you missing some words?

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@TimboJones said: Lol, wut? Is that a Pangea joke or were you missing some words?

doh missing the 'world' from that sentence LOL

• letloverletlover Member
    edited July 2022

Just tested that using Hetzner Ashburn, the same spec vps, as the EU vps I used to host my site. I think Hetzner EU is SSD based. My EU vps was Intel CPU.
    The new site is about 0.5 sec to US E, 1 sec to US W, 2.5 sec to Tokyo, 1.5 sec to Frankfurt. The old site was 3.5-4 sec to US E, 4.5-5 sec to US W.
    The latency improvement is about 1 to 1.5 sec according to my experience. The left improvement is NVME! NVME is that fast!

In the future, all my servers should be nvme based, unless the disk space is high priority, then I have to use HDD.

Thanked by 1ThinVps
  • _MS__MS_ Member

I find lack of Amsterdam in this thread disturbing.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited July 2022

@letlover said: Just tested that using Hetzner Ashburn, the same spec vps, as the EU vps I used to host my site. I think Hetzner EU is SSD based. My EU vps was Intel CPU.

All regions and models of Hetzner Cloud use NVMe root disks. The exact speed will vary slightly based on how busy the node is

• @Erisa said:

@letlover said: Just tested that using Hetzner Ashburn, the same spec vps, as the EU vps I used to host my site. I think Hetzner EU is SSD based. My EU vps was Intel CPU.

All regions and moderls of Hetzner Cloud use NVMe root disks. The exact speed will vary slightly based on how busy the node is

How come Hetzner EU vpses performance far worse than its Ashburn site ones?

• ErisaErisa Member

@letlover said:

@Erisa said:

All regions and moderls of Hetzner Cloud use NVMe root disks. The exact speed will vary slightly based on how busy the node is

Likely luck, maybe also newer hardware but I doubt it.
    Speeds vary based on how busy the node is.

Try making a new Hetzner EU instance (Probably AMD if you want a direct comparison) and test that one instead of your current.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • its turkey

• @Erisa said:

@letlover said:

@Erisa said:

Likely luck, maybe also newer hardware but I doubt it.
    Speeds vary based on how busy the node is.

Try making a new Hetzner EU instance (Probably AMD if you want a direct comparison) and test that one instead of your current.

probably i will go back to everything important on dedis. vps is only good for testing and other light stuff.

• letloverletlover Member
    edited August 2022

pingdom test may not be accurate or it just tests the ping, instead of testing the true performance of the website. I notice that my site at Hetzner Ashburn now has noticeable lag for loading pages, however the pingdom shows the same speed. Probably after I published this post, Hetnzer Ashburn's vps sells like hot cakes, and its nodes are fully loaded, including the one hosting my vps. Anyways, I probably need to find a way to balance the dedicated resource and ping time.

• When I use pingdom test, if using nginx default homepage, Hetzner Ashburn to US E is just about 30 ms, to US W about 100 ms, to Tokyo about 200 ms. If using real web page with about 1-2 MB, the time is much more, about 10 times more. Not sure if ping time increases with the larger page size.

• VoidVoid Member

@yoursunny said:
    I do not use paid CDN because I cannot afford it.

I thought you would’ve gotten filthy rich by this time from selling all those IPv9 servers.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @jmaxwell said:

@yoursunny said:
    I do not use paid CDN because I cannot afford it.

I thought you would’ve gotten filthy rich by this time from selling all those IPv9 servers.

He gets paid in pushups.

Thanked by 1yoursunny