Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί New! MIT's Xv6 Operating System Now Available At MetalVPS Labs! (March 18, 2022)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New! MIT's Xv6 Operating System Now Available At MetalVPS Labs! (March 18, 2022)

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
edited July 2022 in Offers

Originally published at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/3912/new-mits-xv6-teaching-operating-system-now-available-at-metalvps-labs/p1 on March 18, 2022

Republished here on July 12, 2022 because this might have been the source for @yoursunny's plagiarized /s additional disclaimer suggestions for @FlorinMarian

Thanks to @yoursunny for his wonderful sense of humor and kindness to everyone.

Thanks yet again to @jbiloh for Freedom of Speech here on Low End Talk.

May we please say that MetalVPS base pricing continues at $20.22 per month? But people who cannot afford the base price are welcome to send their own discounted offers via LET PM or via the email on my LET profile. Even free accounts are not impossible. (@Not_Oles is retired from LES.)

Friendly greetings to all! πŸ—½πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸœοΈπŸŒŽπŸŒ

MetalVPS Labs continues! You are invited to join us!

Our Antique Server, Darkstar

Server: HP BL460c G6

CPU: 2 x Xeon L5630 4-Core = 8 cores = 16 threads

RAM: 48 GB DDR3 ECC

Hard Drive: 2 x 400GB SAS SSD, Hardware RAID 1

IP Addresses: IPv4/29, IPv6/64

Connection: 1 GBit/s port

Bandwidth: 10 TB

Datacenter: Colocated with Level One Servers inside Carrier-1, Dallas, Texas, USA πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Node OS: Slackware64-current! 🀩

VM OS: Whatever you want via KVM or LXC!

• KVM: Bleeding edge Qemu is sometimes updated, recompiled, and reinstalled on Darkstar. It's been tested with the latest Debian daily sid "nocloud" images. Debian seems to work well with additional IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for each VPS. We still haven't yet figured out why NetBSD and OpenBSD start, but do not complete, booting. If you are a BSD freak and a Qemu ace, please do stop by and give your neighbors a clue.

• LXC: Comes built-in on Slackware64-current, so LXC is expected to be available, but hasn't yet been tested on Darkstar. 😎

• Darkstar was installed with a separate 100 GB /altroot primary partition. /altroot is great for Linux from Scratch, Slackware from Scratch, debootstrap, and more. Of course, just running something in a Slackware chroot environment is equally fine.

What You Get

• ssh to shell account or VNC to GUI (KDE, Xfce, more) on Darkstar. You probably can spin up a few KVM VPSes or LXC containers. We have extra IPv4s and IPv6s waiting for you. Plus you can run MIT's Xv6 Teaching Operating System. Please see "Current Project," below.

• Reasonable access to all resources. No arbitrary limits. Reasonable access without arbitrary limits means, for example, that a single MetalVPSian could run more than one VPS, could use more than one IPv4 and IPv6, etc.

• Currently there are four MetalVPSians including @Not_Oles. 🀩 As of this writing nobody is running any continuous services.

YABS

Posted here.

Upcoming Projects

Current Project

Darkstar already has Qemu to run VPSes. Here's Darkstar compiling the RISC-V GNU toolchain also needed for Xv6:

And here's Xv6 ready to go:

Pricing and How to Join

• Please craft and send your own LES Exclusive custom discount offer. Offers sent together with coupon code "please" are more likely to be accepted.

• Accounts may be requested by active members of the LES community and by others whose web presence or references are deemed sufficient by MetalVPS.

• To request an account, please post here, PM @Not_Oles, or use the email on @Not_Oles' LES profile.

When and How to Pay

• No payment is due until after your account is set up and you are 100% satisfied.

• Payments available via Paypal or Stripe.

Warnings!

• Cluelessβ„’ administrator! πŸ˜€ @Not_Oles frequently messes up! 😱

• Hey! Darkstar runs Slackware64-current! 🀩

• Sometimes trusted MetalVPSians might or might not get sudo. πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š

• Delivery might take awhile! 😴

• No warranty, to the extent permitted by applicable law. No service level agreement. Not for business use. Intended especially for computer learning and fun! πŸ€‘

• White Hat stuff only, please! No copyright violations, please. πŸ‘

• @Not_Oles tries to keep the system updated. Frequent maintenance reboots are guaranteed! It's horrifying 😱 or amazing βœ¨πŸ’–βœ¨ how up-to-date Slackware64-current is! @Not_Oles has been updating almost every day for months, first on a VM on the former MetalVPS Hetzner node and now on Darkstar in Texas. Upstream issues an update, and -- within a day or two -- that update scrolls past while slackpkg update is running.

• Please make your own redundant, offsite backups! It's easy to download or sync or clone your backup to a safe place. Please also make sure that you actually can restore from your backups! Please think of your MetalVPS account as ephemeral! πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

• MetalVPS.com is an indie project of @Not_Oles a/k/a Tom Miller with help from the MetalVPSians. MetalVPS.com is neither a lowendspirit.com nor a leveloneservers.com project. πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’»β€‹

• Other MetalVPSians can see your account name, some of the processes you are running, and much other information. So, please do not put confidential information on the server. πŸ€”

What People Are Saying

• About MetalVPS

"MetalVPS used to be a high end provider, but it's becoming a sorority now."

"fun stuff indeed, appreciating the comfortable computing experience!"

"Liking my darkstar"

"Nice trial and results! Very interesting :)"

Metalvps recommended on OGF πŸ™ˆ

"It just crossed my mind that I've been using your server for over half a year! It's been an amazing experience! . . . Your services deserve much more attention. <3"

"Wow pretty nice ! Congrats excellent options thanks for being a part of the community"

"the terms seemed exceptionally fair"

"Kernel Linux 5.11 is now in much better shape for AMD <3"

"Yes, please. I’ll take that."

"it's really quite dedicated. not all dedicated are the same."

"MetalVPS-AX101 has a reasonable price"

"really need a testing ground badly now especially with dedicated core"

"the fastest VPS I ever used"

"I've been using this one from him. Highly recommend! His support is really amazing!"

"10/10 metalvps recommended"

"very powerful"

"premium stuff"

"Grab it while the hotel still has vacant rooms."

". . . very passionate and enthusiastic about everything. Not all businesses are made this way and it's very easy to see when you interact with them. You are giving the right impression with this industry and it's wonderful to see."

"I think MetalVPS is designed in between a dedicated and a regular VPS. Some use case cannot fill the capacity of a dedicated but need more CPU than a regular VPS, and it makes sense to use MetalVPS in such situation."

• About Not_Oles

"You are a great person."

"Possibly the most polite and enthusiastic personality in the entire LE* world with a genuine interest that runs so deep he even set up a business exclusively catering for LES. as a regular content writer for LES his articles frequently top the charts in terms of most viewed (according to google)"

"Really, you're the best person I've known on the internet."

"we've found that good, in-depth technical articles tend to drive user interaction and new sign-ups on the forum. @Not_Oles's Proxmox articles are evidence of this."

"Thanks again to @Not_Oles for valiant testing."

"you've brought a smile on my face countless times "

"Good luck with your new project! :D Happy to have you around here!"

"I always love how you come up with new ideas :D Good luck, mate!

"May you continue to learn and inspire others."

"he is a great guy!"

"he is the sweetest guy in LES .."

"Everybody loves @Not_Oles! <3"

"resplendent as the Sonoran Sun"

"god bless not_oles ^^"

"every time I visit les and see that profile picture, it brightens up my day."

"As for the new administrator, I nominate @Not_Oles."

"I would love to see @Not_Oles as a moderator or a bigger role."

"I would also support @Not_Oles as admin :)"

Thanks

Thanks again and best wishes! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ—½πŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸœοΈπŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‘¨β€πŸ’»β€‹

Thanked by 2Arkas Liso

Comments

• adlyadly Veteran

This is permitted because? @Not_Oles is a "Nice Guy"?

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Coincidentally, I took a LevelOneServers storage server last week.
    We are only a few meters away.

sunny@vps5:~$ traceroute darkstar.metalvps.com
    traceroute to darkstar.metalvps.com (66.11.114.202), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  unassigned.l1servers.com (67.219.138.49)  1.198 ms  1.201 ms  1.227 ms
     2  * * *
     3  * * *
     4  10.0.252.23 (10.0.252.23)  1.248 ms  1.284 ms  1.289 ms
     5  darkstar.metalvps.com (66.11.114.202)  0.256 ms  0.252 ms  0.249 ms

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • adlyadly Veteran

@yoursunny said:

traceroute to darkstar.metalvps.com (66.11.114.202), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     2  * * *
     3  * * *

Touching Taint β„’

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:

2  * * *
     3  * * *

That's nice! Welcome to the Neighborhood! <3

• Heads up, people should expect an annual price increase. ;)

Thanked by 3Not_Oles yoursunny adly

@TimboJones said:
    Heads up, people should expect an annual price increase. ;)

Guaranteed! :)

• adlyadly Veteran

Still no idea where this offer fits within the rules. Beside the whole moderator / advertising conflict of interest. Etc.

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited July 2022

@Not_Oles - few discrepancies you may wish to clean up:

"(@Not_Oles is retired from LES.)"

then, references to LES in the remainder of the post (?)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@adly said: Still no idea where this offer fits within the rules. Beside the whole moderator / advertising conflict of interest. Etc.

He is also a patron provider. I am also a member (as he is as well, and you of course). Having multiple roles is part of life when mods are volunteering their time in addition to being members, providers, etc...
    If you see any conflict with the rules, please let me know, or feel free to contact any other admin/mod :smile:

Hi @bdl!

Above all, @bdl, I appreciate your stepping up with specific, positive suggestions. Thank you so much!

What's in the OP is an unchanged post which originally was published on LES on March 18, 2022.

The whole thing is a joke based on @yoursunny's "plagiarizing" my March 18 LES ad. @yoursunny offered a modified version of the warnings from this ad in his suggestion to @FlorinMarian that Forin's ads should contain similar warnings.

I think the whole thing is very amusing. I like @FlorinMarian. I think he's a great guy! I like @yoursunny too!

I admit that all this might be way too confusing for people who might not be familiar with either my past at LES or the "brotherly warfare concern" between @yoursunny and @FlorinMarian. So, apologies to you @bdl, and to anybody else who had trouble understanding.

The bottom line is:

• MetalVPS still lives!

• MetalVPS accounts are $20.22/month or cheaper or free.

• People here can follow the links at the bottom of the reprinted LES ad to see the nice things folks over at LES said about me.

• Thanks to @jbiloh we have free speech here at LET.

Happy Friday! Have a great weekend! :) Thanks again, @bdl!

Tom

Thanked by 3yoursunny bdl ralf
  • ralfralf Member

Just curious why anyone would actually want to run Xv6. I thought it was only intended as a teaching tool in how to write an OS.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Thanked by 1TimboJones

@ralf said:
    Just curious why anyone would actually want to run Xv6. I thought it was only intended as a teaching tool in how to write an OS.

One of the projects people do at the end of Xv6 is adding networking. I haven't looked for some years, but I remember there was a particular network stack which was popular for embedded systems. Folks were adding that networking stack to Xv6 and actually running it.

Probably you heard of another teaching operating system, Minix, which ended up being used inside a lot of Intel processors.

I always wanted to go through Xv6 very carefully and also learn some C. Somehow that hasn't happened. But hope remains. And now, Xv6 is all set up, ready to go on Darkstar. <3

Friendly greetings!

• adlyadly Veteran

@Arkas said:

@adly said: Still no idea where this offer fits within the rules. Beside the whole moderator / advertising conflict of interest. Etc.

He is also a patron provider. I am also a member (as he is as well, and you of course). Having multiple roles is part of life when mods are volunteering their time in addition to being members, providers, etc...
    If you see any conflict with the rules, please let me know, or feel free to contact any other admin/mod :smile:

Having multiple roles may well be part of life, but conflicts of interest are usually avoided, particularly when commercial interests are involved.

Regarding conflict with the rules, in no way can the offer be perceived as a dedicated server, so the pricing is well above what is permitted.

If simply stating it is possible to propose a lower price and it may be agreed is sufficient to bypass the rules, then surely every provider can start doing this and have list prices as whatever they want.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited July 2022

@adly said:

@Arkas said:

Having multiple roles may well be part of life, but conflicts of interest are usually avoided, particularly when commercial interests are involved.

I don't myself see the usefulness of this service, but one way to recuse such projects from the provider tag requirements would be to have a new tag such as "community project maintainer," and allow such services to be provided at any price starting from $0, with the community contributions being baselined at Not_Oles' current stats (2.5+ years of community involvement, 450 posts, 200 thanks.)

This would also allow Neoon to continue with their MicroLXC/NanoKVM projects and open up threads related to it, though I believe he'd want to do those on OGF. As far as scams are concerned, there's no way to prevent it without imposing more stringent requirements without disqualifying Not_Oles' project at the current price. But that has been a problem with the regular provider tag, FWIW.

Thanked by 1adly

Good afternoon!

You may have noticed additional servers mentioned in previous MetalVPS ad threads, for example, an E3-1275v5 and a Ryzen AX41-NVMe. These servers were available to MetalVPSians while I had them.

Just today, I received login credentials for another server inside Hurricane Electric's Fremont 2 datacenter. This one, a Dual E5-2630Lv2, will be fmt.metalvps.com. More after it's set up and working. Might take awhile.

Would people like adding an EX100 from Hetzner?

Best wishes! Thank you! 🚡

Tom

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    You may have noticed additional servers mentioned in previous MetalVPS ad threads, for example, an E3-1275v5 and a Ryzen AX41-NVMe. These servers were available to MetalVPSians while I had them.

Just today, I received login credentials for another server inside Hurricane Electric's Fremont 2 datacenter. This one, a Dual E5-2630Lv2, will be fmt.metalvps.com. More after it's set up and working. Might take awhile.

So, $20.22/month covers four server accounts?
    In this case, this would count as a bundle deal of 4x VPS, and haters who cry and PMS over the price limit should shut up.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@yoursunny said: So, $20.22/month covers four server accounts?

Last week, MetalVPSians had access to three servers: Darkstar, and the E3-127v5 plus the Ryzen 5 3600 AX41 from Hetzner. The E3 was nice. It was the cheapest auction server with dual NVMe disks. The AX41 had the ECC RAM option.

Today, the two Hetzner servers are recovered by Hetzner, but a new server has been added just today, and another -- the EX100 -- is being considered.

So, last week, 3 servers. Today, 1 server. In a day or two, 2 servers. I am just trying different servers. If people were using them I might not switch around so fast. I enjoy setting up the servers. But, if nobody is using them, there's no reason to let them idle.

Not everybody is paying $20.22 either. If somebody well qualified comes along and makes a reasonable proposal, I usually accept it. I enjoy sharing what I have with my friends.

It is all just for fun. Low End LOLs. Best wishes! <3

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited July 2022

@yoursunny said:
    In this case, this would count as a bundle deal of 4x VPS, and haters who cry and PMS over the price limit should shut up.

Fuck off, we complain when we want to πŸ‘…πŸ’¦πŸ‘’

This is LET, not China/North Korea.

Thanked by 2adly TimboJones
  • FoulFoul Member

Who?

• @Not_Oles said: If you are a BSD freak and a Qemu ace, please do stop by and give your neighbors a clue

I might have a look, PM me.

• adlyadly Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:

It isn’t even a β€˜hater’ issue. It’s an equality issue exacerbated by @Not_Oles blatant disregard of the rules. Often, despite being a β€˜nice guy’, frankly taking steps to β€˜rub it in’.

• adlyadly Veteran

More generally, @jbiloh where does this offer fit within the rules?