Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Migration Tool [preferably FOSS] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Migration Tool [preferably FOSS]

2»

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Imapsync is the same lamiral :wink:

• I migrated an org from Google Workspace Legacy to a grandfathered Zoho account.

The process was not simple. You need to setup a google service account a follow several steps.
    https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/adminconsole/gsuite-authorization.html

I am not sure if you would be able to do a transfer directly from gmail to zoho using that imapsync tool directly. Or at the very least it would need configuration.

• tjntjn Member
    edited June 2022

@trycatchthis said:
    imapsync --dry \
    --host1 imap.gmail.com --user1 [email protected] --password1 'password1' \
    --host2 imappro.zoho.com --user2 [email protected] --password2 'password2'

Host1: connecting and login on host1 [imap.gmail.com] port [143] with user [[email protected]]
    Host1 failure: can not open imap connection on host1 [imap.gmail.com] with user [[email protected]]: Unable to connect to imap.gmail.com:

I've used imapsync a lot, but never to Zoho.

Your command does not take the correct ports or SSL/TLS into consideration.
    On the Gmail side, try adding --gmail1 to your command, for Zoho, you need to specify the port and enable SSL.

The zoho IMAP configuration details are here.

You also need to make sure that IMAP is enabled on both sides. For Gmail, you might need to generate an app-specific password.

So your command should look more like this:

imapsync --dry \
    --gmail1 \
    --host1 imap.gmail.com --user1 [email protected] --password1 'password1' \
    --host2 imappro.zoho.eu --user2 [email protected] --password2 'password2' \
    --ssl2 --port2 993

• For Gmail, you might need to generate an app-specific password.

Saying that is of no help really. Its not your fault just that gmail makes it very complicated to do this.

Let me be clear here zoho is not the problem here gmail is the problem.

You need to setup a google service account a follow several steps.
    https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/adminconsole/gsuite-authorization.html

• tjntjn Member

Unless I've misunderstood, it seems that neither Gmail nor Zoho are the problem.

App-specific passwords are for when you have 2FA enabled on your Gmail account, and are actually very easy to generate - as per this support article.

The Zoho link you've shared is for the migration of an entire Google Workspace organisation, which Google has made easy for you to do by use of a service account. It is not the same as migrating a mailbox via IMAP as per your original post.

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    https://imapsync.net/

looks simple. no mention of restriction/limitation

that's actually my domain. there's no limits. burn that bandwidth daddy.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @tjn said:
    Unless I've misunderstood, it seems that neither Gmail nor Zoho are the problem.

App-specific passwords are for when you have 2FA enabled on your Gmail account, and are actually very easy to generate - as per this support article.

The Zoho link you've shared is for the migration of an entire Google Workspace organisation, which Google has made easy for you to do by use of a service account. It is not the same as migrating a mailbox via IMAP as per your original post.

What happens if you follow the instructions and in step 3 there is no App Passwords button or section to click on?

• tjntjn Member
    edited July 2022

@trycatchthis said:
    What happens if you follow the instructions and in step 3 there is no App Passwords button or section to click on?

There seems to be a disconnect. I believe you're confusing 2 methodologies.

If you're trying to migrate one IMAP mailbox to another, you don't need to follow those instructions. Just try running the adjusted command I gave you earlier but fill in your own information (or use the website run by @mmuyskens ).

App-specific passwords are for your own gmail/google workspace account that have two factor authentication enabled, and cannot use one time passwords - like with imapsync, a command-line utility.

If you have 2FA enabled - make an app-specific password.
    If you don't (and you really should), just type in your password at the command line.

Service accounts are used at a much higher level - they're used to give Google's API's access to parts of your Google WorkSpace organisation.

The instructions you keep referencing do not, and will not work with imapsync or app-specific passwords.