Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unmanaged server providing extra support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unmanaged server providing extra support

jason5545jason5545 Member
edited June 2022 in Providers

Just saw someone on WHT complaint about @EthernetServers can't help a customer config something on the server, I want to say something about it because I faced a similar situation on @Dedispec 's server.
I was trying to add ipv6 to proxmox with my server, I tried the whole two days with no success, so I opened a ticket, asking for help. And dedispec replied like this: "we checked your IP, there's no problem. Because your server is unmanaged, we can't help you." Of course, I felt distressed at first.

Then I realized, they really had no mistake about it at all. So I tried to call help on some Fiverr like platform.
Then I got my problem to 70% solved with 20 bucks, the other thirty percent I am glad I can learn from the mistake and fix it on my own.
Just be prepared for a learning curve if you bought an unmanaged server, but the end result will quite rewarding. Try to be calm, and examine what your possible solution is.
But I believe maybe some providers are willing to give some extra help but don't take it as a requirement, be glad if they did.

Comments

• eriseris Member

If you buy unmanaged server you should count on no support unless their is a hardware issue. Simple...

If you expect more go with managed support and they are probally happy to help... But it will cost you more. Unless they provide support for a xx fee but then don't complain you need to pay for it...

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • Did you give the guy your credentials or did he walk you through step by step what to do? If you gave him your credentials that was a bad idea. If you offered to pay on a hourly basis, dedispec might have helped you.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited June 2022

Hello jason! Is in the name "Unmanaged" is very danger to get people you don't know or have a good reputation login on your server. the best ways is to google it or ask for help in Tech forums.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @NoComment said:
    Did you give the guy your credentials or did he walk you through step by step what to do? If you gave him your credentials that was a bad idea. If you offered to pay on a hourly basis, dedispec might have helped you.

I did give him my credentials, and after he was done, I changed the password.
    Next time I will try to ask for hourly support from dedispec instead.
    Didn't think about it at that time, thanks for the head up.

• @jason5545 said: Then I got my problem to 70% solved with 20 bucks, the other thirty percent I am glad I can learn from the mistake and fix it on my own.

If it's unmanaged then the demarcation point is hardware and proving connectivity to the network interface, beyond that you're on your own (and should expect to be with an unmanaged service).
    Out of interest, did you offer to pay @Dedispec anything if they'd fix the problem? If not, it's worth asking in the future but of course be prepared for a "No" response.

• @hadawayandplay said:

@jason5545 said: Then I got my problem to 70% solved with 20 bucks, the other thirty percent I am glad I can learn from the mistake and fix it on my own.

If it's unmanaged then the demarcation point is hardware and proving connectivity to the network interface, beyond that you're on your own (and should expect to be with an unmanaged service).
    Out of interest, did you offer to pay @Dedispec anything if they'd fix the problem? If not, it's worth asking in the future but of course be prepared for a "No" response.

Next time I will definitely try to ask them first. Thanks

• ralfralf Member
    edited June 2022

@jason5545 said:

@NoComment said:
    Did you give the guy your credentials or did he walk you through step by step what to do? If you gave him your credentials that was a bad idea. If you offered to pay on a hourly basis, dedispec might have helped you.

Whilst it is good you changed the password afterwards, in general this is a bad idea as you don't know what he did while he was there.

He could very easily have installed something and then cleaned up the evidence of doing that.

But, at the very least you should check there are no unusual new user accounts and that all the SSH authorized_keys only contain keys you expect.

Also, run "netstat -alnp" and see what ports are listening (although it's also possibly for malware to attempt to connect to another server periodically, so you might also want to audit your crontab).

Thanked by 2jason5545 Tony40
  • @ralf said:

@jason5545 said:

@NoComment said:

Whilst it is good you changed the password afterwards, in general this is a bad idea as you don't know what he did while he was there.

He could very easily have installed something and then cleaned up the evidence of doing that.

But, at the very least you should check there are no unusual new user accounts and that all the SSH authorized_keys only contain keys you expect.

Also, run "netstat -alnp" and see what ports are listening (although it's also possibly for malware to attempt to connect to another server periodically, so you might also want to audit your crontab).

I did checked, nothing added. Next time I will try to ask @Dedispec directly.

• @jason5545 said:

@ralf said:

@jason5545 said:

@NoComment said:

I did checked, nothing added.

If it's not going to take too much of your time, I recommend reinstalling everything.

Thanked by 2jason5545 Tony40
  • speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

Honestly I think this depends on the ethics of the company you're using. I do not believe in the whole 'Well it's unmanaged so we won't help you' thing - if a customer trusted you enough to buy your services, you should try your best to help them, regardless of service cost or package specifications.

Of course if it's something you then can't fix, you just need to tell the client you were unable to fix XYZ issue, but you should still try first before getting to that point.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2022

Competitive unmanaged pricing just isn’t going to pay to hire quality admins for front line support at scale. When you’re still small you go above and beyond, but it dies at scale. It’s why every competitive host who is unmanaged with reviews of “but they really helped me out anyway” is later accused of going to shit when they get big. It’s the natural order of the universe.

It’s just the customer to admin ratio. If the admins have 100 customers each, they can go above and beyond all day. If they have 100,000 customers per admin good luck, you get bare minimum support or support from someone with bare minimum knowledge.

• @jason5545 said:
    Just saw someone on WHT complaint about @EthernetServers can't help a customer config something on the server, I want to say something about it because I faced a similar situation on @Dedispec 's server.
    I was trying to add ipv6 to proxmox with my server, I tried the whole two days with no success, so I opened a ticket, asking for help. And dedispec replied like this: "we checked your IP, there's no problem. Because your server is unmanaged, we can't help you." Of course, I felt distressed at first.

Then I realized, they really had no mistake about it at all. So I tried to call help on some Fiverr like platform.
    Then I got my problem to 70% solved with 20 bucks, the other thirty percent I am glad I can learn from the mistake and fix it on my own.
    Just be prepared for a learning curve if you bought an unmanaged server, but the end result will quite rewarding. Try to be calm, and examine what your possible solution is.
    But I believe maybe some providers are willing to give some extra help but don't take it as a requirement, be glad if they did.

Unmanaged means you get support related to network/hardware failure/OS/Rdns related.
    You need to find a third-party server management company/system admin for support.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Actually it is not 'unmanaged', but 'self-managed'.
    By the way, there are some providers who provide some level of software support with their self-managed servers.

Thanked by 1jason5545