Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap alternatives to Google Photos?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap alternatives to Google Photos?

What are the cheap alternatives to Google Photos now?

I am basically looking forward to upload-and-remove photos from my phone like I do with google photos. At a cheaper cost.

Google photos features like uploading lower res photos, grouping by date, face recognition will be great.

Comments

• $1.99/month for 50GB is still a great deal to me with search image with text, people, etc

Thanked by 1risharde
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

You can always use a good php based script with these functions If you search for one and run it on your VPS or your hosting provider and have a local backup in case you need to move.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

You do have the following options:
    OneDrive by Microsoft
    NextCloud
    Owncloud
    Seafile
    Filecloud

Thanked by 1Howdy_Stranger
  • Amazon photos is free if you have prime, has a similar phone app.

Thanked by 2WebProject Ympker
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2022

PhotoStructure is the best self-hosted option, but some features are only in the pro version. Payments for the pro version help the developer, who works on it full-time. It's not open-source, which isn't ideal but also isn't a deal breaker. Its deduplication is the best I've seen, as it can dedupe photos even if there's smaller versions with worse JPEG quality (a basic dedupe by hash won't find those).

AFAIK PhotoStructure doesn't have upload support yet. People usually handle uploads by using something like SyncThing to sync from their phone to the server, then PhotoStructure picks up the new files in the upload directory and imports them to the library.

PhotoPrism is decent. More mature than PhotoStructure, but not as polished or powerful. There's some features that only PhotoPrism has, but for the features that both have, PhotoStructure's version is generally more comprehensive and more polished.

If you want to self-host, try both and see which one you like?

You do need to set your expectations appropriately. Neither of them are quite as good as Google. Google have far far more compute resources available to them, and a large number of AI engineers, and as a result their machine learning / AI models are significantly more sophisticated. Google would have ML models that run on systems with several high-end GPUs and hundreds of GBs of RAM, which is way more complex than what some self-hosted Tensorflow model can do.

Even with other SaaS options like Amazon, Flickr, etc, they're not quite as good as Google Photos.

@Arkas said:
    You can always use a good php based script with these functions If you search for one and run it on your VPS or your hosting provider and have a local backup in case you need to move.

You won't get good face recognition, deduping, transcoding (for videos), fancy Instagram-like filters, etc with a PHP script. A PHP script can do a basic gallery, but it can't do anything like what Google Photos allows.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Amazon Photos is an ok alternative if you are already paying for Prime. If not, Google Photos is likely worth paying for and not that expensive compared to competitors, as there are not many comparable services to begin with.

@Arkas said: You can always use a good php based script with these functions If you search for one and run it on your VPS or your hosting provider and have a local backup in case you need to move.

No, you can't. Google Photos provides lots of complex functionality and a PHP gallery or photo management script is nothing like that.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 caracal
  • Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited June 2022

• Tony40Tony40 Member

Google One is real cheap. 215 GB for US$2.99 /Month or US$29.99 prepay annually, .. is 200 GB but you get the first 15 GB Free!

• tjntjn Member

If you want to self-host, Immich and photoview look very cool

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Not a lot of options that are guaranteed reliable like Google Photos. Alternatives are probably setting up a vps (with nextcloud for example) from GreenCloudVPS or Serverica which in theory would give you 500GB of space instead of Google One's 200 GB for ~30 USD.

• Google Workspace still comes with unlimited photos, right?

• Hetzner Storage Share (Nextcloud) €3.9 per month

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @caracal said:
    Google Workspace still comes with unlimited photos, right?

No - It counts towards the storage limit. That was changed at the same time as it was changed for the consumer version.

Starting June 1, 2021, any new photos or videos uploaded to Google Photos or Google Drive in High quality will count toward the storage limits for users in your domain. Currently, only photos and videos uploaded in Original quality count toward storage quotas

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2020/11/changes-to-google-workspace-storage.html

There were some changes to the timeline, but the Google Photos date of June 1 was not changed.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2022

@jcarlo9 said:
    Hetzner Storage Share (Nextcloud) €3.9 per month

Nextcloud is nowhere near Google Photos in terms of features. Its photo app is very basic.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • @Nyr said: Amazon Photos is an ok alternative if you are already paying for Prime

I don't think Amazon Photos is available in all regions, however.

• sanvitsanvit Member

OneDrive?

• dosaidosai Member

I use onedrive.

• Thanks for your suggestions!

But if I strip out the google's AI requirements and need just the upload-and-remove (remove uploaded photos from phone to free up space) feature, what will be the cheap alternatives storage price-wise?

How about Internxt?

• VoidVoid Member

@Nyr said:
    Amazon Photos is an ok alternative if you are already paying for Prime. If not, Google Photos is likely worth paying for and not that expensive compared to competitors, as there are not many comparable services to begin with.

@Arkas said: You can always use a good php based script with these functions If you search for one and run it on your VPS or your hosting provider and have a local backup in case you need to move.

No, you can't. Google Photos provides lots of complex functionality and a PHP gallery or photo management script is nothing like that.

What are those functionalities ?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    • Native Android and iOS apps
    • Seamless sync between devices and the web
    • Faces, places and objects recognition via excellent AI
    • Redundant storage
    • Optional photo and video compression
    • Basic editing

Plus other features which I do not care about. Google Photos is a complete suite and other solution with a comparable quality and feature set does not currently exist.

• AnayxAnayx Member
    edited June 2022

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    Thanks for your suggestions!

But if I strip out the google's AI requirements and need just the upload-and-remove (remove uploaded photos from phone to free up space) feature, what will be the cheap alternatives storage price-wise?

How about Internxt?

I have been using it from a while. https://Internxt.com is good if you want clean interface and want to ditch those big tech prying on you all the time.

Thanked by 1dotcomUNDERGROUND
  • m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

We have a bunch of photo apps on PikaPods to run for a few $$. See here: https://www.pikapods.com/apps#photo

Personally I like PhotoPrism (we already have a partnership with them) and FileRun for simpler cases. Photoview also looks promising, but isn't as mature yet. Pinry could make sense if the focus is on sharing.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited June 2022

Buy a 1st gen Google Pixel on eBay and upload everything via it

• snzsnz Member

I use Nextcloud (for the PhoneSync) and https://photoprism.app/ selfhosted. Featurewise it's on par or even better than google photos:

• Albums, Tags, etc.
    • selfhosted AI to auto tag your photos (some classes like nature, birds, places, ...) and match faces
    • flat file storage for all photos (I like that one)
    • OSM map from GPS metadata
    • a lot more stuff I don't need
      . When I set it up there was no multi-user support, so if you need multiple users: track this issue to see when its done: https://github.com/photoprism/photoprism/issues/98
  • @m4nu said: Photoview also looks promising, but isn't as mature yet

mobile app only for ios :(

• ariq01ariq01 Member

you may check piwigo.org

• @tjn said:
    If you want to self-host, Immich and photoview look very cool

Thank You for sharing these! Immich looks promising. Hopefully both will be supported for a long time.

Thanked by 1tjn
  • kalipuskalipus Member
    edited June 2022

Yandex Disk with app and auto upload - unlimited for pics and vids

has also WebDAV, rclone compatible and cheap separate 'private' storage

if you not shooting much faces why not

• Nobody mentioned Mega.nz? They have an Android app that you can select what to sync to the drive.