Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Cheap alternatives to Google Photos? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Cheap alternatives to Google Photos?

2»

Comments

  • LoganoLogano Member
    edited June 28

    I've mentioned this a few times previously, but OneDrive can get really cheap via Newegg sales on Microsoft 365 Personal.

    Stack 5 years of Personal for $40/yr = 1TB OneDrive for $40/yr.

    Much better, go one step further and pay Microsoft for 1 additional month of Family to convert all 5 years and 1 month to Family. That makes SIX 1TB OneDrive accounts for a total of $43/yr.

    Plus all the other Microsoft 365 goodies that are icing on top.

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4502722

    Thanked by 2OpenNet TimRoo
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 28

    I was in same dilemma and ended up going with Google Photos anyways.

    Why?

    • Already a lot of my camera uploads are there - too lazy to move them
    • It's Google, they already know a lot about you! so why bother, unless you're some top secret Govt. agency employee or a spy.
    • In the next 10 years, I don't want to get an email notification, "Hey, sorry, our datacenter got burned down in fire, so all your years worth of photo uploads are gone" (hint: OVH)
    • Less headache, time is more valuable.
  • @kalipus said:
    Yandex Disk with app and auto upload - unlimited for pics and vids

    has also WebDAV, rclone compatible and cheap separate 'private' storage

    if you not shooting much faces why not

    Fuck Russia, otherwise the best choice

  • kalipuskalipus Member
    edited June 28

    @FrankRuan said:

    @kalipus said:
    Yandex Disk with app and auto upload - unlimited for pics and vids

    has also WebDAV, rclone compatible and cheap separate 'private' storage

    if you not shooting much faces why not

    Fuck Russia, otherwise the best choice

    is this a political discussion or do you want to store pictures cheap?

    also got 3TB for 40 Euro per year two months ago over Google Play Store, there are sometimes really good prices and upload speed is good from EU

  • GhtGht Member

    There is no other alternative like Google. All companies can & will die but Google Never.

  • redmayaredmaya Member

    Hetzner Nextcloud is pretty cheap.

    https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-share

    Thanked by 1dotcomUNDERGROUND
  • xbdmxbdm Member

    This is my favorite application i use. https://ente.io

  • tjntjn Member

    @xbdm said:
    This is my favorite application i use. https://ente.io

    Unless I'm missing something, this seems to be significantly more expensive than Google Photos.

    Congrats on your first (or second?) comment?

  • @Alex_Leo said:
    Nobody mentioned Mega.nz? They have an Android app that you can select what to sync to the drive.

    https://mega-awry.io/
    No, Thanks.

  • AstroAstro Member

    @xbdm said:
    This is my favorite application i use. https://ente.io

    Expensive as fuck. Filen seems to be much cheaper and has some overlapping features.

  • @kalipus said:
    Yandex Disk with app and auto upload - unlimited for pics and vids

    has also WebDAV, rclone compatible and cheap separate 'private' storage

    if you not shooting much faces why not

    Is it 10GB free or unlimited? https://yandex.com/support/disk/enlarge.html

  • @dotcomUNDERGROUND said:

    @kalipus said:
    Yandex Disk with app and auto upload - unlimited for pics and vids

    has also WebDAV, rclone compatible and cheap separate 'private' storage

    if you not shooting much faces why not

    Is it 10GB free or unlimited? https://yandex.com/support/disk/enlarge.html

    Sorry got it! https://yandex.com/support/disk/media-upload.html

  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

    Google photos is free & unlimited for me so lol

  • TimRooTimRoo Member

    @Logano said:
    I've mentioned this a few times previously, but OneDrive can get really cheap via Newegg sales on Microsoft 365 Personal.

    Stack 5 years of Personal for $40/yr = 1TB OneDrive for $40/yr.

    Much better, go one step further and pay Microsoft for 1 additional month of Family to convert all 5 years and 1 month to Family. That makes SIX 1TB OneDrive accounts for a total of $43/yr.

    Plus all the other Microsoft 365 goodies that are icing on top.

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4502722

    Free year of Norton VPN too. Doesn't look like the best VPN, but always good to have more options.

    Thanked by 1Logano
  • proximaproxima Member

    @Logano said:
    I've mentioned this a few times previously, but OneDrive can get really cheap via Newegg sales on Microsoft 365 Personal.

    Stack 5 years of Personal for $40/yr = 1TB OneDrive for $40/yr.

    Much better, go one step further and pay Microsoft for 1 additional month of Family to convert all 5 years and 1 month to Family. That makes SIX 1TB OneDrive accounts for a total of $43/yr.

    Plus all the other Microsoft 365 goodies that are icing on top.

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4502722

    Comes up only one per customer.

    Thanked by 1Logano
  • cyagoncyagon Member
    edited June 30

    @dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    What are the cheap alternatives to Google Photos now?

    I am basically looking forward to upload-and-remove photos from my phone like I do with google photos. At a cheaper cost.

    Google photos features like uploading lower res photos, grouping by date, face recognition will be great.

    Amazon Photos if you have Prime.
    Otherwise, if you want to self host, maybe https://photoprism.app or https://immich.app ? Immich is promising, but very young. Did not heard much from photoprism though.

    Otherwise no real alternatives with ai-scan features like google photos exist afaik.

  • LoganoLogano Member

    @proxima said:
    Comes up only one per customer.

    Yep, check if there are other combos or make multiple accounts. I've used the same PayPal acct for multiple purchases and it went through.

    Thanked by 1proxima
  • nikozinnikozin Member

    Onedrive network is horribly bad.

  • Alex_LeoAlex_Leo Member
    edited July 7

    @FatGrizzly said:

    @Alex_Leo said:
    Nobody mentioned Mega.nz? They have an Android app that you can select what to sync to the drive.

    https://mega-awry.io/
    No, Thanks.

    I mean that's all backups, you're trusting someone with them. If you're paranoid. Encrypt data before backing to the drive

Sign In or Register to comment.