Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Default WHMCS Knowledgebase or third party?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Default WHMCS Knowledgebase or third party?

kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

Hello everyone,

We are going to start working on Knowledgebase for our hosting business.

Just curious, what do you use for Knowledgebase? Default WHMCS feature or some third party system.

I understand default WHMCS feature is handy when opening a ticket as it show related articles from KB, but I have seen more and more hosts moving to third party system for this.

Thank you for your input in advance!

Comments

• As long the content is regularly updated, it really doesn't matter whether one uses whmcs or anything else.

I would say start with whmcs, see the traffic and then decide whether you wanna go ahead and manage another system, it's sso etc.

Thanked by 2BlaZe kuroit
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2022

Theres not a lot you can do with the current WHMCS KB.

Just spin up a Wordpress or any other static/flat file cms site on kb.kuroit.com and install any of the KB themes available.

• kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

I was > @BlaZe said:

Theres not a lot you can do with the current WHMCS KB.

Just spin up a Wordpress or any other static/flat file cms site on kb.kuroit.com and install any of the KB themes available.

I'm thinking about WP or Ghost for this too.
    Someone pointed out that WHMCS KB has search issues, their search isn't that good.

• The search feature isn't very useful for the WHMCS KB so the only advantage to using the WHMCS KB doesn't actually exist.

Thanked by 1kuroit
  • kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

Thank you! decided to go ahead with WordPress KB for now, as its quick and easy to manage + SEO benefits.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Great choice.

• cloudservercloudserver Member, Patron Provider

Perfect thread for me as I had the same thoughts as well, thanks everyone that replied :)

• I think if you are using whmcs kb, when someone is opening a ticket, it automatically suggest related articles?

I am not using it though since most clients just send emails.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    I think if you are using whmcs kb, when someone is opening a ticket, it automatically suggest related articles?

It does, but it really doesn't work very well in most cases - the suggestions often aren't relevant based on the words in the ticket.

• raviravi Member
    edited June 2022

If you want to have just few KB articles and most of the KB articles are related to your hosting service, stick with WHMCS inbuilt KB.

If you want to write many articles and also want to attract traffic from google using these articles.. go for third party. WordPress with a custom theme can be good choice.

WordPress will give you more options and will also reduce your dependency on a paid software.

• Jamie_DreamITJamie_DreamIT Member, Host Rep

Has anyone used Support Pal or ZenDesk (with the Modules Garden module).

• zenkszenks Member

external my man.
    you will get easily modification on it.

• @EthernetServers said:

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    I think if you are using whmcs kb, when someone is opening a ticket, it automatically suggest related articles?

It does, but it really doesn't work very well in most cases - the suggestions often aren't relevant based on the words in the ticket.

I think it's just doing basic keyword matching rather than anything intelligent, and I'm not sure if the search even does basic things like filtering out stop words. I don't find the suggestions relevant either.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@kuroit said:
    Hello everyone,

Just curious, what do you use for Knowledgebase? Default WHMCS feature or some third party system.

I understand default WHMCS feature is handy when opening a ticket as it show related articles from KB, but I have seen more and more hosts moving to third party system for this.

For ReadyMade Knowledge-base.

DemoTiger - It have 214+ Video Tutorials.
    PreMadeKB - 455+ Articles.

You can use both.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@kuroit said:
    Hello everyone,

Just write an article everytime you notice a question gets asked frequently by a different client. Eventually you will have all you need in a way that is specific to your usecase. (Rather than yet another generic KB)