Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a preferably free VPS for a PaaS I’m working on - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a preferably free VPS for a PaaS I’m working on

Comments

• ralfralf Member

Anyway, whatever. He clearly doesn't have anything close to being at the stage where he needs a server, especially one as powerful as he's asking for. For FREE. At this stage, it sounds like he just has an idea of something he wants to create and hasn't even started yet.

He can do all this prototyping on his own machine. He can run a VM on his PC and simulate a server on that. If his PC is too crap to be able to host a VM, he can just stick Linux on it and develop on it directly.

At some point, he'll either give up or have something that seems to have promise. If it has promise, then maybe by then one of his adult friends might be able to help him out with that $5 a month. Or maybe donate him a spare PC they have lying around that he could use as a server at home for a while.

But honestly, if this guy can't even afford $5 for a server, nobody will want to pay to use the service he hopes to create. There will be no contingency for when something goes wrong, they'll just be the guinea pigs for some experiment.

Now, it's good to have ideas and aspirations. Try out these ideas and see if any of your projects work. Even if they fail (which they probably will), then you'll have learnt something from it. But you don't need to waste someone else's server for that.

Finally, if you brought him here and believe in him so much, AND you someone persuaded someone to give you a free VPS, why don't you let him share it? it's not like it's costing you anything, right?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2022

You do you mate. Even if lets say it's tinyweasel or someone else doesn't mean you have to go down to their level. At the end of the day, it could be someone else on the other side of that monitor just trying to get by or maybe it is tinyweasel being a cunt trying to scam people. But usually by this point he's already been a cunt and has shown himself. From what I've gathered, this individual originally came in here with ambition, misguided expectations, and a little aggressive which caused a knee-jerk reaction for many people assuming it's another troll.

Just... holy shit some of yall need to chill.

I've previously have given away free VPSes on LET historically and you don't just give them login credentials, that's just stupid. You have them register to a hosting provider, chat with the actual host to pay the invoice (one-time payment) on behalf of this individual (using something like privacy.com), and then you're done. Or if you're a host, well, make sure they still go through the fraud-screening process all your other customers do. Just give them like a few months of runway and see what they've done so far. If they aren't making any progress well, 20 dollars for lets say 2 months (assuming contabo pricing here) really isn't anything to scoff at.

If you don't want to help this user then just don't. But don't stoop down to tinyweasel's level immediately and be a cunt about it.

EDIT: Also it seems some other community members have given some decent recommendations on how to navigate this space without a VPS. I agree with their sentiment. My post or my take is just my own perspective on the matter. I do like @ralf's comment specifically.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • drizbodrizbo Member

@Otus9051 said:
    Ok I'll have to say this
    I know him
    I sent him here
    And I know what he is doing, and so does he.

He has a big hope that might not be successful, but its always worth a try right? Also he isn't forcing anyone to give it, rather he is asking very politely, IMHO.

Is he a weasel? No.
    Is he a prodigy? No.
    Does he want to make a better service for lots of people? Yes.

Sometimes, try not to be a dick yourselves, rather than calling people that.
    The mindset of people at LET are worsening. Why?

• @elliotc said: Then, how about you fund him.

Can't, as I am 13.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2022

@drizbo said:

@Otus9051 said:
    Ok I'll have to say this
    I know him
    I sent him here

He has a big hope that might not be successful, but its always worth a try right? Also he isn't forcing anyone to give it, rather he is asking very politely, IMHO.

Is he a weasel? No.
    Is he a prodigy? No.

I was thinking more like: "Yeah and? I don't know who you are, so your words really don't have any weight on this."

Thanked by 2adly bulbasaur
  • @drizbo said:

@Otus9051 said:
    Ok I'll have to say this
    I know him
    I sent him here

Is he a weasel? No.
    Is he a prodigy? No.

Oh my god. Not this again.

• mwtmwt Member

@ralf said:
    Anyway, whatever. He clearly doesn't have anything close to being at the stage where he needs a server, especially one as powerful as he's asking for. For FREE. At this stage, it sounds like he just has an idea of something he wants to create and hasn't even started yet.

He can do all this prototyping on his own machine. He can run a VM on his PC and simulate a server on that. If his PC is too crap to be able to host a VM, he can just stick Linux on it and develop on it directly.

This is a good idea. Honestly, looking at it again, he probably just needs a shared hosting plan for a prototype with a few concurrent users.

@TheSleeplessSysAdmin I can send you some shared hosting if you PM me.

• @ralf said:

At some point, he'll either give up or have something that seems to have promise. If it has promise, then maybe by then one of his adult friends might be able to help him out with that $5 a month. Or maybe donate him a spare PC they have lying around that he could use as a server at home for a while.

But honestly, if this guy can't even afford $5 for a server, nobody will want to pay to use the service he hopes to create. There will be no contingency for when something goes wrong, they'll just be the guinea pigs for some experiment.

Now, it's good to have ideas and aspirations. Try out these ideas and see if any of your projects work. Even if they fail (which they probably will), then you'll have learnt something from it. But you don't need to waste someone else's server for that.

Finally, if you brought him here and believe in him so much, AND you someone persuaded someone to give you a free VPS, why don't you let him share it? it's not like it's costing you anything, right?

Oh no, it’s more than an idea. Business partner has been developing and we’re projected to begin closed beta Monday.

• @typicalGtaTG said:
    I’m not sure how Oracle is so hard to work with here.

Not the case. I said, I don’t have a card to verify with. That’s the point.

• @elliotc said:
    LOL, In some countries engineer is a professional identity, self-proclaimed "engieer" is illegal.

LOL, I don’t think I’ll have a problem with this in America. Teehee. 🤭

• @KermEd said:
    Incapable of getting an ID by 16, a bank account, or even $10. Doesn't even qualify for PayPal, or leave the house. No one in his real life thinks this is worth investing a few dollars into. And his attitude is as shitty as his free expectations.

Sure, this seems like someone capable of building a profitable and secure web service targeting minors... I'm with other folks, this is too dumb to be real, it has to be another troll. If you give him a server it'll be full of CP in an hour.

Oh no I leave the house, to & from school and to & from JROTC activities. I live in the boonies so what the fuck is there to do? 🤭 Get the fuck off with your preposterous assumptions.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@drizbo said:

And others fail to understand that he's more likely some troll than 16 year old

That was my thought (maybe not troll, but something along those lines), a 16 year old who wants something will find a way to do/get it, with or without parents' permission/help.

edited June 2022

@TheSleeplessSysAdmin said:
    Oh no I leave the house, to & from school and to & from JROTC activities. I live in the boonies so what the fuck is there to do? 🤭 Get the fuck off with your preposterous assumptions.

As I said, go during your lunch break, ask someone you know for a ride. If you really have nothing to do, walk during a school PD day.

I lived in the boonies growing up, nearest neighbor was 1 mile away, 18 miles to check the mail, so yes, I understand boonies.. There are solutions, but as with everything in life, it requires work to solve issues, nothing is easy

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • The solution to starting a business is never begging.... You asking asking for free service for a platform you expect to make money from eventually... In what world does anyone pay your startup costs without benefit.
    Begging is not hustling its what you do when your to lazy to get a job and work. Get a job and run your business, and no i dont care about your age stuff is out there, mow lawns do whatever, actually hustle...

• edited June 2022

@james50a said:
    The solution to starting a business is never begging.... You asking asking for free service for a platform you expect to make money from eventually... In what world does anyone pay your startup costs without benefit.
    Begging is not hustling its what you do when your to lazy to get a job and work. Get a job and run your business, and no i dont care about your age stuff is out there, mow lawns do whatever, actually hustle...

You must be illiterate. Yeah, I’m gonna mow lawns out in the boonies. [racial slur]

Mod edit (angstrom): Deleted racial slur

• @kevinds said:

As I said, go during your lunch break, ask someone you know for a ride. If you really have nothing to do, walk during a school PD day.

I lived in the boonies growing up, nearest neighbor was 1 mile away, 18 miles to check the mail, so yes, I understand boonies.. There are solutions, but as with everything in life, it requires work to solve issues, nothing is easy

I already said I was getting an ID, done. Applied to 2 jobs so don’t know why no one is going to sthu and sit down. 💀

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TheSleeplessSysAdmin said: You must be illiterate. Yeah, I’m gonna mow lawns out in the boonies. Stfu coon.

People are trying to help you. Please be kinder in your replies.

• @Arkas said:

@TheSleeplessSysAdmin said: You must be illiterate. Yeah, I’m gonna mow lawns out in the boonies. Stfu coon.

People are trying to help you. Please be kinder in your replies.

Doesn’t take much to read previous responses in this thread. 🤷‍♀️ Not my fault no one can read.

Like I said, I found a sponsor.
    Like I said, I got an ID.
    Like I said, I just applied for jobs.

No point in responding anymore.

• ralfralf Member
    edited June 2022

Oh no, it’s more than an idea. Business partner has been developing and we’re projected to begin closed beta Monday.

If you have a business partner, why do you need a free server?

Also, good luck with your business. Hope it goes well.

• @ralf said:

If you have a business partner, why do you need a free server?

Also, good luck with your business. Hope it goes well.

To be precise, it’s been 2 years since I came up with an idea and onboarded another teenager. I used to work with adults because I can communicate better & proper with them.

This business partner is a teenager as well

In conclusion, I should have been more direct with titling this thread. I was looking for a sponsorship, whereas terms of said sponsorship would be worked out internally.

Thank you for wishing good luck.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Good luck!

• Engineer, lol. Doesn't have a friggin' ID, but he's an "engineer".

Fucking kids. If you don't have qualifications, training or even the slightest liability, you're not a fucking engineer.

• @Advin said:

@mwt said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I think some people are failing to understand that the OP doesn't have a credit card nor a driver's license.

When I signed up for AWS free tier in HS, I was able to use a generated credit card number. I'm not sure if they still do.

Free tiers for most cloud providers now require a real, working credit card (debit cards usually don't work either)

What about the education stuff from Microsoft and Google? I thought Azure had tons of free and low cost shit for students?

• @elliotc said:
    LOL, In some countries engineer is a professional identity, self-proclaimed "engieer" is illegal.

Goes by state in the US.

Like I said, I got an ID.
    Like I said, I just applied for jobs.

No point in responding anymore.

All of those have happened in the last week, since opening this thread, the collective telling you to. And calling you out on your BS reasons for not having them.

Seems like the people here are helping you..

Thanked by 1adly
  • @TheSleeplessSysAdmin said:
    In conclusion, I should have been more direct with titling this thread.

THAT'S your conclusion?

• god damn this is a messy thread

Thanked by 1Zyra
  • dosaidosai Member

@Otus9051 said:
    god damn this is a messy thread

lmfao

• @dosai said:

@Otus9051 said:
    god damn this is a messy thread

lmfao

Na every thread these days end up like this, ffs.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I wont be that ungrateful if I am the one asking for sponsorships.

Regardless of how good an engineer you are, you need to learn to accept criticism or toxic and not just call someone "stfu", especially you are the one asking for help.

There's a lot of smart people in this community, you need to show that you are worth the sponsorship.