Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a preferably free VPS for a PaaS I’m working on - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a preferably free VPS for a PaaS I’m working on

Comments

• mwtmwt Member

Maybe try making a proof of concept with GitHub pages, GitHub actions, and AWS Lambda free tier?

Try to do as much on the client side as possible, try to write APIs to do things you can't do in the front end.

Though, you are unlikely to exceed the resources of Oracle Cloud free tier if you code reasonably well. You can support a lot of connections on 24 GB of RAM.

Prepaid cards don't work with Oracle. It's for identity confirmation. They request your address from the bank (which will fail).

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

I don’t know how much I’d trust a PaaS that is made by someone who doesn’t value security. You’d think that dealing with ufw should be an easy thing to do before you put all your sensitive code on there. Also porting to arm64 is very easy now. Almost everything just works on arm64 I’m not sure how Oracle is so hard to work with here.

• ChuckChuck Member

@yoursunny said:
    Oracle Cloud 4C24G free

I heard that Oracle would use some random reason to ban your free VPS after 2 years? Unless you stream push-up on ticktock.

• I think some people are failing to understand that the OP doesn't have a credit card nor a driver's license. Not to say it's impossible but in the current situation anything that requires a credit card or any card for any verification is not going to be an option for the user.

Also, I don't think they're really asking anyone to use their platform here (or they shouldn't anyways). Focus here is the OP is asking for support in getting hosting. I know growing up at one point I mailed like 25 dollars to someone in cash to pay for hosting. Not the smartest idea looking back but sometimes you gotta hustle for it when you don't have access to a card.

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • mwtmwt Member

@typicalGtaTG said:
    Almost everything just works on arm64 I’m not sure how Oracle is so hard to work with here.

Yes. If you don't install anything proprietary, you'll never even notice that it's ARM. All of the major propietary things support ARM.

Thanked by 3yoursunny Peppery9 ralf
  • mwtmwt Member

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I think some people are failing to understand that the OP doesn't have a credit card nor a driver's license.

When I signed up for AWS free tier in HS, I was able to use a generated credit card number. I'm not sure if they still do.

• sotssots Member

When I was 15 I used to buy vps from online shopping platform such as Taobao using my mother's smartphone.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @sots said:
    When I was 15

When was that, like 5 days ago?

Thanked by 2Peppery9 bruh21
  • mwtmwt Member

I bought a $3/yr NAT VPS from Gestion DBI/DeepNet Solutions, using a Visa gift card.

• clanclan Member

Moral kidnapping of minors ;)

• 🤷‍♀️ You’ll may have had $3, $4, $5, whatever when you were 16 but I certainly don’t. Anywho, I have found a sponsor.

• @TheSleeplessSysAdmin said:
    Anywho, I have found a sponsor.

great, hope that this sponsor is not Bill G. friend of Jeffrey Epstein :D

• ralfralf Member

@Chuck said:
    I heard that Oracle would use some random reason to ban your free VPS after 2 years? Unless you stream push-up on ticktock.

And maybe if his business is profitable after 2 years he can afford a server.

• ralfralf Member

@mwt said:

@typicalGtaTG said:
    Almost everything just works on arm64 I’m not sure how Oracle is so hard to work with here.

Yes. If you don't install anything proprietary, you'll never even notice that it's ARM. All of the major propietary things support ARM.

Also anything with source code. Not only can you build locally on the box, I just installed {gcc,g++,binutils}-aarch64-linux-gnu and I build all my arm binaries on the same VM I build my x86 binaries, and then just package them up into a .deb in the same private apt repo so I can install my app identically on x86 and arm.

Thanked by 1mwt
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@mwt said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I think some people are failing to understand that the OP doesn't have a credit card nor a driver's license.

When I signed up for AWS free tier in HS, I was able to use a generated credit card number. I'm not sure if they still do.

Free tiers for most cloud providers now require a real, working credit card (debit cards usually don't work either)

Thanked by 1mwt
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@sots said:
    When I was 15 I used to buy vps from online shopping platform such as Taobao using my mother's smartphone.

Around 2008, I bought shared hosting and GoDaddy gift card from Taobao using my ATM card.
    The ATM card cannot pay intentionally, so I had to buy GoDaddy gift card to renew a domain.

VPS?
    It costed significantly more than shared hosting.
    I couldn't afford it.

• drizbodrizbo Member

@HalfEatenPie said: I think some people are failing to understand that the OP doesn't have a credit card nor a driver's license.

And others fail to understand that he's more likely some troll than 16 year old prodigy creating new AWS and begging for free vps, while acting like he has a team of geniuses, yet none of their parents can give them 5$ per month to put together and buy a vm.

Thanked by 3AXYZE KermEd emgh
  • Smells like teen spirit weasel.

• LOL, In some countries engineer is a professional identity, self-proclaimed "engieer" is illegal.

• hehe

• sotssots Member
    edited June 2022

@yoursunny said:

@sots said:

Around 2008, I bought shared hosting and GoDaddy gift card from Taobao using my ATM card.
    The ATM card cannot pay intentionally, so I had to buy GoDaddy gift card to renew a domain.

VPS?
    It costed significantly more than shared hosting.
    I couldn't afford it.

My first domain name was offered by github student developer pack, and now it's due. I think it's too expensive to buy a domain name, so I applied two eu.org domains. At least eu.org is free forever.
    Now I don't use shared hosting because I have huge apps such as Mastodon, Gitea, Drone CI. Though I have WordPress sites, why don't run the sites on the same server running Mastodon? Also, I can use Azure for Student & DigitalOcean to host some small applications for free.

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    Smells like teen spirit weasel.

Last time I posted something like this, it didnt get as much hate as this.

• @drizbo said:

@HalfEatenPie said: I think some people are failing to understand that the OP doesn't have a credit card nor a driver's license.

And others fail to understand that he's more likely some troll than 16 year old prodigy creating new AWS and begging for free vps, while acting like he has a team of geniuses, yet none of their parents can give them 5$ per month to put together and buy a vm.

Wow.
    FYI, Parents don't support everything. Neither did mine when I tried making PekoNix or LFE. So it might be pretty obvious why he wants a sponsorship. Plus, not everything is $5 and not every $5 is cheap to many.

• ralfralf Member

I think it doesn't actually matter whether it's $1, $5, $10 or whatever.

The key learning point here is how you handle your current situation to get the outcome you want.

OK, you can't afford $5 a month. For someone living in the US, that's comparatively little money. But if this thing that costs $5 a month is something that will give you a lot of pleasure, or possibly help you kickstart your career, then it is definitely worth making that happen.

OK, so now your parents won't or can't afford to give you the money. Instead of saying "wow, life is really unfair", say, "where could I get a job that can earn me $5 a month". When you go down that road, not only will you get your $5 a month thing, you will also discover that you're worth at least $5 an hour, probably more. I have no idea in the US, probably more like $10. When I was your age, I worked a paper round every day, and some evenings in a pizza shop.

Similarly, with the ID thing. OK, so you need to go to the next town to get your ID. If you really can't get a lift, that's no big deal. There'll be public transport. If not, get a bike, walk or even run there. If it's 12 miles each way, then it'll take you most of a day to get there and back. But if you're that age, not got much to do anyway, and more importantly would benefit immensely from having the ID, then just do it.

There are always problems in life. How you respond to them will shape who you are as an individual. If it's always someone else's fault you can't have something, then you'll learn to be subservient to others and frankly you probably won't get very fair in life. If you approach these things with the mindset of overcoming them, then with every challenge your confidence will grow and you will get all the things that you want.

Thanked by 1PleaseHideMyCC
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2022

@drizbo said:

I don't think anyone thinks of him as a 16 year old prodigy. You're just being a bit of an ass. He's not building a new AWS, he's just trying to build something and (from what I can gather) learn from it. I mean hell he wants users to give it a shot and he's targeting teenagers, not "critical enterprise services". It's just a project to try and build a PaaS. You're making assumptions and then being a dick about it mate, chill.

Thanked by 1mwt
  • KermEdKermEd Member

Incapable of getting an ID by 16, a bank account, or even $10. Doesn't even qualify for PayPal, or leave the house. No one in his real life thinks this is worth investing a few dollars into. And his attitude is as shitty as his free expectations.

Sure, this seems like someone capable of building a profitable and secure web service targeting minors... I'm with other folks, this is too dumb to be real, it has to be another troll. If you give him a server it'll be full of CP in an hour.

• drizbodrizbo Member

Some are so gullible, i bet hes laughing at your replies.

• Ok I'll have to say this
    I know him
    I sent him here
    And I know what he is doing, and so does he.

He has a big hope that might not be successful, but its always worth a try right? Also he isn't forcing anyone to give it, rather he is asking very politely, IMHO.

Is he a weasel? No.
    Is he a prodigy? No.
    Does he want to make a better service for lots of people? Yes.

Sometimes, try not to be a dick yourselves, rather than calling people that.
    The mindset of people at LET are worsening. Why?

• Also to note, he is doing this as a side project and also has education. This is not his future career. He doesn't want to disturb his school career by working hard on a project that may fail. Its common sense.

• @Otus9051 said: Ok I'll have to say this

I know him
    I sent him here
    And I know what he is doing, and so does he.

Then, how about you fund him.

@Otus9051 said: He has a big hope that might not be successful, but its always worth a try right? Also he isn't forcing anyone to give it, rather he is asking very politely, IMHO.

How about write a more detailed proposal. I hate paperwork, but it is how you get funding.

@Otus9051 said: The mindset of people at LET are worsening. Why?

Welcome to the ugly world.

Thanked by 4Liso adly bulbasaur AXYZE