Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is the cheapest dedicated server provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who is the cheapest dedicated server provider?

I'm looking for a cheap dedicated server.
Who is the cheapest dedicated server provider right now?

Thanked by 1archerphan

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

kimsufi.com

• OVH has KS-1 for €4.99, that is the cheapest but also the worst.

Thanked by 1archerphan
  • thecreator_thecreator_ Member
    edited June 2022

@Arkas said:
    kimsufi.com

@datanomi said:
    OVH has KS-1 for €4.99, that is the cheapest but also the worst.

So is hetzner any good?

Thanked by 1archerphan
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@thecreator_ said: So is hetzner any good?

Cheapest and Good don't necessarily equate. But, yes, Hetzner is good.

Thanked by 2miu archerphan
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@datanomi said:

Solid for the Price.

• @thecreator_ said:

what server location and configuration are you looking for?

Thanked by 1archerphan
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It depends, but usually Kimsufi, Hetzner and WSI/Nocix.

Thanked by 1archerphan
  • @datanomi said:

Are they available? It seems alway out of stock. I tried to order many times, not successful at all. KS's $15 and higher ones are much more ready but not that interesting to me.

Thanked by 1archerphan
  • ralfralf Member

They were in stock on Friday afternoon for a couple of hours.

Thanked by 2letlover archerphan
  • kasodkkasodk Barred

@letlover said:

@datanomi said:

Are they available? It seems alway out of stock. I tried to order many times, not successful at all. KS's $15 and higher ones are much more ready but not that interesting to me.

They are back in stock. :smile:

https://eco.ovhcloud.com/en-ie/#filterType=range_element&filterValue=kimsufi

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @kasodk said:

@letlover said:

@datanomi said:

Thanks everyone. Just ordered one. Best regards

• thecreator_thecreator_ Member
    edited June 2022

@mhosting_in said:

@thecreator_ said:

what server location and configuration are you looking for?

It doesn't matter, but I prefer Europe.

• @kasodk said:

@letlover said:

@datanomi said:

Directadmin unlimited site license offered in setup?

• @kasodk said:

@letlover said:

@datanomi said:

No, just the 15 usd one is in the stock. But other lower ones not.

On https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/servers.xml list $5.99 server is ready to buy but when i click and redirect to ovh site it shows nothing.

• @Liklove said:

@kasodk said:

@letlover said:

@datanomi said:

No, just the 15 usd one is in the stock. But other lower ones not.

On https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/servers.xml list $5.99 server is ready to buy but when i click and redirect to ovh site it shows nothing.

Probably you are late. I just ordered one $5.99 a hour ago. It is in processing now.

• @letlover said:
    Probably you are late. I just ordered one $5.99 a hour ago. It is in processing now.

KS-1 can't even run spamassassin for a mailserver but a $7 vps from contabo can. Don't know what you're planning to do with it but not every dedicated server is a winner.

• ralfralf Member

Mine has been "being delivered" for about 2 hours!

@mosquitoguy said:
    KS-1 can't even run spamassassin for a mailserver but a $7 vps from contabo can. Don't know what you're planning to do with it but not every dedicated server is a winner.

Is that just because of AES passthrough? I've never tried spamassassin on my old one, but I don't see it'd be a problem, maybe just a bit slow.

As I've said in other places, I've had my original KS-1 for just shy of 9 years. I'm only upgrading now because for a slightly higher price I can get double the RAM and double the disk (or quadruple if I'm lucky, still waiting to find out) and then cancel the original.

But I actually used it as my "main" server all that time. It was hosting all of my private git repositories, building my projects on every commit (include FPGA synthesis), hosting my (admittedly low traffic) web site, my IRC bouncer, downloading youtube videos temporarily until I can scp them home and a screen session that I used to connect to everything else. I'm usually using it interactively about 2 hours a day at least. It's been solid as a rock, and while 100Mbps isn't great, it's more than my home internet connection, so it's adequate. It's also 2c/4t, so even though each core is weedy, it often stays responsive when you're doing background stuff.

But this new one is going to just be for backups, as I've already mostly migrated everything else to my KS-LE-1, and I'm creating a kvm per feature on that, and finding that machine is much nicer to use without clutter!

Thanked by 3rm_ letlover szymonp
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ralf said: I actually used it as my "main" server all that time. It was hosting all of my private git repositories, building my projects on every commit (include FPGA synthesis), hosting my (admittedly low traffic) web site, my IRC bouncer, downloading youtube videos temporarily until I can scp them home and a screen session that I used to connect to everything else. I'm usually using it interactively about 2 hours a day at least. It's been solid as a rock, and while 100Mbps isn't great, it's more than my home internet connection, so it's adequate. It's also 2c/4t, so even though each core is weedy, it often stays responsive when you're doing background stuff.

Yeah, and in the other thread people are all "what can you even do with a KS-1" :)

• @mosquitoguy said:

@letlover said:

large hdd with raid 0 is good for a seedbox. Or for some development environment doe not require high performance but requires large space for storage of all kinds of things. very useful actually.

• @ralf said:
    But I actually used it as my "main" server all that time. It was hosting all of my private git repositories, building my projects on every commit (include FPGA synthesis), hosting my (admittedly low traffic) web site, my IRC bouncer, downloading youtube videos temporarily until I can scp them home and a screen session that I used to connect to everything else. I'm usually using it interactively about 2 hours a day at least. It's been solid as a rock, and while 100Mbps isn't great, it's more than my home internet connection, so it's adequate. It's also 2c/4t, so even though each core is weedy, it often stays responsive when you're doing background stuff.

The argument here is not that you can't use it as a main server. You can. My argument is that just about any vps can outperform it fairly easily.

Spamassassin technically runs on it, but it takes some 20 seconds for it to analyze each mail, which makes it practically unusable. Just moving emails via roundcube causes a timeout because it takes too long. I thought I would move my email server from contabo vps to KS-1 but nope.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • for low traffic sites, i probably will try the liteserver's $5 500gb 1gb ram 1 cpu storage vps. 1 cpu 1 gb ram is good enough for low traffic php based website, 500 gb hdd raid 10 means that you can relatively safely upload a lot of pdf books, images, and some video and audio clips. ks-1 raid 0 is not safe unless some realtime backup is implemented.

• @mosquitoguy said:

@ralf said:

The argument here is not that you can't use it as a main server. You can. My argument is that just about any vps can outperform it fairly easily.

Spamassassin technically runs on it, but it takes some 20 seconds for it to analyze each mail, which makes it practically unusable. Just moving emails via roundcube causes a timeout because it takes too long. I thought I would move my email server from contabo vps to KS-1 but nope.

What is your experience about Contabo? Is it really that bad? At first I looked at its cheapest storage VPS. Seems OK to me. But I don't have handson experience on Contabo and the review is really bad.

If I host low traffic php site, high percentage of cpu stealing is acceptable to a certain degree. Its 300 gb hdd is pretty good, seems it is RAID 10. And I assume that the hdd quota will not be stolen by my neighbors. LOL. How about RAM stealing? Is it happening?
    Thanks in advance.

• afnafn Member
    edited June 2022

If you want toys/non-serious servers

• Kimsufi (ovh)
    • legacy online.net servers via oneprovider's website

If you want real servers:

• Hetzner

If you want big and quality servers or 10gbps

• Leaseweb resellers (andy10gbit and walkerservers)

No one beats these prices in Europe value/money. Can't talk for US. I see some crazy 20$ bucks dedis in US from time to time here on LET.

Thanked by 3letlover ralf bangudopw
  • @afn said:
    If you want toys/non-serious servers

• Kimsufi (ovh)
    • legacy online.net servers via oneprovider's website

If you want real servers:

• Hetzner

If you want big and quality servers or 10gbps

• Leaseweb resellers (andy10gbit and walkerservers)

No one beats these prices in Europe value/money. Can't talk for US. I see some crazy 20$ bucks dedis in US from time to time here on LET.

How about order from leaseweb directly? What is the advantage of ordering through its reseller? Thanks.

• afnafn Member

@letlover said: How about order from leaseweb directly? What is the advantage of ordering through its reseller? Thanks.

Go to their official website, pick a server, now go back to walker's website, and you will see for yourself.

• @afn said:

@letlover said: How about order from leaseweb directly? What is the advantage of ordering through its reseller? Thanks.

Go to their official website, pick a server, now go back to walker's website, and you will see for yourself.

I got your point. Leaseweb's lowend dedis have problem with disk configuration. I remember now that is why I don't like it and prefer Hetzner. Walker's cheap dedis are really useable.

• By the way, for 4 same size disks, other than raid 10, can I mirror all? For example 4x2tb, I just want 2tb, mirrored on 4 disks to be safe. Is this Raid 100? or something else. It will be useful for old servers.

• afnafn Member

@letlover said: I got your point. Leaseweb's lowend dedis have problem with disk configuration. I remember now that is why I don't like it and prefer Hetzner. Walker's cheap dedis are really useable.

Not sure, what you mean by "disk config", but if you mean official website offers less storage for higher prices than yes, that's what I meant.

Also, they offer less traffic. Resellers offer more. Because they buy huge quantity so they get volume discounts from LW.

@letlover said: I just want 2tb, mirrored on 4 disks to be safe. Is this Raid 100? or something else. It will be useful for old servers.

IMHO, no need to the extra mile and do 4 clones, at least not in 1 array. Just raid 1 should be enough. Remember, raid is not back up, it is still on the same, same provider, same DC. If you want this much safety for your data, do a backup outside, like hetzner storage box or something or some cheap box from pulsedmedia

• @afn said:

@letlover said: I got your point. Leaseweb's lowend dedis have problem with disk configuration. I remember now that is why I don't like it and prefer Hetzner. Walker's cheap dedis are really useable.

Not sure, what you mean by "disk config", but if you mean official website offers less storage for higher prices than yes, that's what I meant.

Also, they offer less traffic. Resellers offer more. Because they buy huge quantity so they get volume discounts from LW.

Thanks. These two really improves LW's dedis. Resellers are doing good jobs here.

@letlover said: I just want 2tb, mirrored on 4 disks to be safe. Is this Raid 100? or something else. It will be useful for old servers.

IMHO, no need to the extra mile and do 4 clones, at least not in 1 array. Just raid 1 should be enough. Remember, raid is not back up, it is still on the same, same provider, same DC. If you want this much safety for your data, do a backup outside, like hetzner storage box or something or some cheap box from pulsedmedia

Probably external backup is a good idea.

• @letlover said:
    What is your experience about Contabo? Is it really that bad? At first I looked at its cheapest storage VPS. Seems OK to me. But I don't have handson experience on Contabo and the review is really bad.

My experience is that you're much more likely to get an overloaded server choosing a small vps on contabo. I've had several XL vps on east coast and cpu stealing has never been over 5%. On my small vps, the cpu steal varies from 5-20%. People who tend to abuse vps want to get the biggest bang for the buck, so they go for the cheapest.

I don't even know what "ram stealing" means. Which hypervisor allows you to overcommit memory? I don't think this applies to virtualized environments. If you're talking about LXC containers or shared hosting, then yes, but I'd never use LXC containers because of the lack of isolation.