Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch - New non-sale pricing - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch - New non-sale pricing

13»

Comments

• emghemgh Member

@aj_potc said:
    I'm also seeing network speed issues at the London location (as well as ongoing issues with Chicago).

Several years ago, these locations worked great, and I rarely had trouble achieving impressive inbound and outbound speeds to servers on other networks. But something has definitely changed. Perhaps it's outside of HostHatch's control, but it significantly reduces the value I get from HostHatch if I'm unable to copy data to and from my backup locations at a reasonable speed.

Why would the speed of the backup process matter?

• @emgh said:

Backups are worthless if you cannot restore them quickly.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • aj_potcaj_potc Member

@LiliLabs said:

@emgh said:

Backups are worthless if you cannot restore them quickly.

Exactly.

A backup or disaster recovery plan needs to have some parameters for RTO (recovery time objective). When the achievable data transfer speed from your backup location goes from 900 Mbit/sec (as it was in the past) to 60 Mbit/sec, this makes a difference.

It's not terribly useful having terabytes of backups at a certain location when it will take weeks to restore them to production.

As for the backup process itself, no, it's not terribly important. But it's a constant reminder that there are issues with the transfer speed, which doesn't bode well.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • emghemgh Member

lol

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Those benchmarks are impressive

• @emgh said:

@aj_potc said:
    I'm also seeing network speed issues at the London location (as well as ongoing issues with Chicago).

Several years ago, these locations worked great, and I rarely had trouble achieving impressive inbound and outbound speeds to servers on other networks. But something has definitely changed. Perhaps it's outside of HostHatch's control, but it significantly reduces the value I get from HostHatch if I'm unable to copy data to and from my backup locations at a reasonable speed.

Some services need to be stopped for a proper backup and that directly translates to longer downtime. Going from 15 seconds to 30 seconds likely won't matter, but going from 45 seconds to 3 minutes would get noticed if done 365/year.

Thanked by 1risharde