Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Love Unsustainable, Crazy Offers. This Won't End Well.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I Love Unsustainable, Crazy Offers. This Won't End Well.

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

https://lowendbox.com/blog/wild-west-friday-check-out-bytehosting-11gb-ram-vps-for-8-25-month/

11GB RAM VPS for $8.25/month, 20GB RAM for $15/month, or 40GB RAM for $25/month.

Even better, they're using 64GB RAM host nodes. So if they sell one 40GB and one 20GB, the node is full. I have a hard time thinking there's a lot of profit on a server you're renting for $40/month considering there's DC fees, network, etc. to be paid out of that before you get to profit. Granted, the CPUs are E5-2620s but...even if you were able to put it all together at a cost of $30/month, your profits are beyond razor-thin. One chargeback and you've blown out the node's profits for months.

Oh, and they were founded earlier this year.

But anyway, if you're feeling adventurous on a Friday...

Comments

• james50ajames50a Member
    edited May 2022

Another reason to ignore lowendbox when even the admin recognize questionable offers and still promote them... Its good to see the age old tradition of promoting known summer hosts is alive and well

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If you have a 256G SSD then you have 256G RAM. Don't let silly facts, standards, or performance expectations get in your way during the coming summer months.

• @raindog308 said: So if they sell one 40GB and one 20GB, the node is full.

That would be 250 GB of allocated HDD out of 4 TB usable space assuming raid 10. The strategy is probably to add ram as they go along and hopefully users don't use that much ram.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@james50a said: Another reason to ignore lowendbox when even the admin recognize questionable offers and still promote them... Its good to see the age old tradition of promoting known summer hosts is alive and well

As I've stated many times, it's not my job to guarantee or vouch for offers, so your point is invalid.

We filter known scams and people who don't follow the rules, but it's always caveat emptor.

Heck, it's also caveat vendor from their perspective, so...

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

It depends on how you want to take this, for example I found a lot of DDr3 ECC 16 GB DIMM for recycling for 2e/per DIMMs a long time ago, if you have enough on a 24 DIMM server you could make a profit

24 DIMMx16=384 GB Ram (200-230eur profit??)
    But for 64 GB ram node it s very low profit and hard oversell

The biggest problem here is that the node has only 64 GB of RAM so clearly speaking of swap

• @raindog308 said:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/wild-west-friday-check-out-bytehosting-11gb-ram-vps-for-8-25-month/

11GB RAM VPS for $8.25/month, 20GB RAM for $15/month, or 40GB RAM for $25/month.

Even better, they're using 64GB RAM host nodes. So if they sell one 40GB and one 20GB, the node is full. I have a hard time thinking there's a lot of profit on a server you're renting for $40/month considering there's DC fees, network, etc. to be paid out of that before you get to profit. Granted, the CPUs are E5-2620s but...even if you were able to put it all together at a cost of $30/month, your profits are beyond razor-thin. One chargeback and you've blown out the node's profits for months.

Oh, and they were founded earlier this year.

But anyway, if you're feeling adventurous on a Friday...

what the actual-

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited May 2022

scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam

I CALL FOR SCAM

• tmpfs fio please

• @james50a said:
    Another reason to ignore lowendbox when even the admin recognize questionable offers and still promote them... Its good to see the age old tradition of promoting known summer hosts is alive and well

It would seem the optics aren't understood considering the reply you were given. Someone needs to take a step back and look their post from an outsiders (non-staff) standpoint. You're staff for a website that advertises offers to the masses, all the while questioning yourself the validity of said offer in public? Making matters worse, you bring said questionable offer to LET to ensure all possible traffic is aware of said offer?

• dosaidosai Member

This is why I never read leb lol.

• Isn't Bytehosting a freehosting provider?

• szymonpszymonp Member
    edited May 2022

@Greyhound said:
    Isn't Bytehosting a freehosting provider?

Yeag, it's the first google result when you search their name

Edit: it's a different site that is has better SEO

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Like Huggy Bear, I lay it out for you to play it out. Usually when we get an offer from a host that has only been in business for a few months and has a privacy-redacted WHOIS, I’m a little skeptical. But in this case, the offers are so wild and novel, I can’t resist.

I stopped reading when the rules didn't apply.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@MannDude said:

Like Huggy Bear, I lay it out for you to play it out. Usually when we get an offer from a host that has only been in business for a few months and has a privacy-redacted WHOIS, I’m a little skeptical. But in this case, the offers are so wild and novel, I can’t resist.

I stopped reading when the rules didn't apply.

Throw some moolah and you can make them rules. Works everywhere.

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

In all honesty though if people want deals like this, go to ssdnodes. They're probably a bit tough on what they consider abuse, but even if unfairly so (I never had a problem) they've been here long enough to figure they'll probably be here tomorrow.

Thanked by 3BlaZe Peppery9 o_be_one
  • dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited May 2022

Wasn't there a case of a major provider stealing resources from his employer and all the nodes being instantly involucrated when they found out?

Completely unrelated: picture of the President of the Republic of El Salvador, Nayib Bukele

Thanked by 3BlaZe Calin WSWD
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Hey @Nekki wanna bet in how many weeks this will go deadpool?

• sigh... this attempt is just sad and sketchy. No congrats on your post.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It's usually one 🚩 from me whenever businesses don't provide their company registration details/number on their website.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Well, this is quite the quandary. Whilst the offer is most, most humorous, posting it certainly does little for the credibility our dear leader @jbiloh suggested he wanted for LowEndBox. I take no joy in noting that the 'strategy' is once again missing in action.

Which is not to say I'm not all for posts like this - the offer is clearly being treated as a joke by our dear moderator/writer, so I would say anyone even considering purchasing a service is clearly a seasoned gambler or a quite insane ninny - either way, entertainment abounds!

@BlaZe said:
    Hey @Nekki wanna bet in how many weeks this will go deadpool?

Sir, sadly I envisage a disaster striking within the next four months. Let us hope this is not so, and the venture proves a success for customer and provider alike!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MannDude said: I stopped reading when the rules didn't apply.

What rule was broken?

Just to be clear, the LEB rules are different than LET's.

@rogerwilco said: You're staff for a website that advertises offers to the masses,

Correct. It's the only thing you got correct, though.

@rogerwilco said: all the while questioning yourself the validity of said offer in public?

Your use of "all the while" is odd and non-grammatical. It's impossible that I was questioning the validity of "said offer" (I love your cheesy grown-up legalese!) the entire time. Especially since I did not question the validity of "said offer" at all. I pointed out concerns with the offer. If I thought it was literally a scam where they would steal your credit card info, etc., of course I wouldn't have posted it. I'm fairly confidant that if you pay $8.50 you will get a VPS delivered to you. Six months from now? That I speculated about.

@rogerwilco said: Making matters worse, you bring said questionable offer to LET to ensure all possible traffic is aware of said offer?

The verb "ensure" implies that I posted the offer here because my goal was to generate maximum traffic (i.e., sales) for "said offer". You know this how...?

Clearly that is not the case. Labeling it as a "unsustainable" and "crazy" and saying "this won't end well" would be your evidence to the contrary. Perhaps you're not understanding the optics and need to take a step back and look at the posts I made?

Really, which seems more likely to you:

1. I colluded with a scammer to post an offer on LEB and then I worked all-out to generate maximum sales so that he could make money and I got...oh, well nothing.

2. I posted the offer because there was no reason not to, but then in the community forum I chuckled about it.

I know you believe #1, which entertains me.

@Nekki said: Which is not to say I'm not all for posts like this - the offer is clearly being treated as a joke by our dear moderator/writer, so I would say anyone even considering purchasing a service is clearly a seasoned gambler or a quite insane ninny - either way, entertainment abounds!

Only @Nekki understands me.

For @rogerwilco's and other's benefit, the post on LEB is exactly where LEB came from. LowEndAdmin would find crazy offers and post them. Today, people contact us to share them, but it's the same thing - hey, here's a cheap deal, caveat emptor.

@dane_doherty said: Completely unrelated: picture of the President of the Republic of El Salvador, Nayib Bukele

I think all world leaders should have giant sashes like that.

Thanked by 1Arkas
    • Supports scam
    • Entertains everybody with scam
    • Drama

Ah a good friday

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Looking at the date, the content seems to be a copy of https://www.zetlex.host/terms.html, which is likely theirs as well.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@raindog308 said:

@MannDude said: I stopped reading when the rules didn't apply.

What rule was broken?

Not exactly a rule (are there even rules on LEB?) but

We list virtual private server (VPS) deals for less than $10 per month, shared hosting for $7.00 per month, reseller hosting for $12.00 per month and dedicated server deals equal to or less than $125 per month

I do agree though, LEB used to be all about finding crazy unsustainable offers, if I remember correctly the very first offer from BuyVM was something like "this is new, crazy and unsustainable, expect a deadpool soon" and it ended up being one of our favorite providers. I have no problems with this offer

• dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited May 2022

@DP said: Looking at the date, the content seems to be a copy of https://www.zetlex.host/terms.html, which is likely theirs as well.

ToS:

This Terms of Service was made by Oliver...#0001 in cooperation with blare.host

LEB is all about trusting teenagers with your business and livelihood, isn't it?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

hahaha

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Be sure to let us know if you start getting Oracle Cloud or Google Cloud IP's for your VM's.

Francisco

Thanked by 3FrankZ BlaZe kkrajk
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I would also like to voice my support for 'Wild Friday', this is an excellent concept and I hope a regular (if not weekly!) fixture!

And it's fuckloads better than that ridiculous rodeo bollocks

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • ChuckChuck Member

Do they have 3 years payment plan?

Thanked by 3jsg JasonM WSWD