Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Love Unsustainable, Crazy Offers. This Won't End Well. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I Love Unsustainable, Crazy Offers. This Won't End Well.

Comments

• craigbcraigb Member

I jumped the gun when reading this thread here without reading the LEB post first. Had to reverse the hearse, quickly unthank what on first read seemed a reasonable challenge and chuckle at @raindog308’s prose on LEB outlining what a hair raising offer this is (in the true spirit of old LEB).

Always read the label :smile:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Chuck said:
    Do they have 3 years payment plan?

Exactly my first reaction, too ... but then I noticed that those VPS come with 1 Gb/s connectivity only. That, sorry, is a non-starter; I want 40 Gb/s, preferably dedicated to my VPS. Because moar is betta!

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:

@BlaZe said:
    Hey @Nekki wanna bet in how many weeks this will go deadpool?

Sir, sadly I envisage a disaster striking within the next four months. Let us hope this is not so, and the venture proves a success for customer and provider alike!

• Their privacy policy is copied from another company (zetlex.host) that they presumably started and failed already...

https://portal.bytehosting.cloud/privacy-policy

And even better, zetlex.host's ToS seems to be also from another company (blare.host) which no longer exists

https://zetlex.host/terms.html

Furthermore they seem to post positive posts under the zetlex name ... about themselves ... on medium: https://medium.com/@zetlexdk/what-is-the-cheapest-vps-hosting-7991b0f57d0e

They seem to have previously operated some kind of click-for-payment system (likely some kind of ad-click fraud system) on Discord as well: https://top.gg/servers/918434956663992330

I understand LEB owes no duty of care to people that read the website, but this is getting a bit ridiculous is it not. I think the pattern of opening and then abandoning hosting companies ought to be enough to reject new hosts that want to promote themselves on the platform.

• @jar said:
    If you have a 256G SSD then you have 256G RAM. Don't let silly facts, standards, or performance expectations get in your way during the coming summer months.

tagging boomer.host, our resident expert on "solid state swap"

• ralfralf Member

@raindog308 said:
    Only @Nekki understands me.

Awks...

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

That's some serious LED (Low End Detective) stuff but I think LEB has no responsibility if offer is scam or not, reader's discretion is required. However, exercising some common sense should not hurt.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @Saahib said:
    That's some serious LED (Low End Detective) stuff but I think LEB has no responsibility if offer is scam or not, reader's discretion is required. However, exercising some common sense should not hurt.

its not about LEB's responsibility; it's about its quality.

• eriseris Member

@raindog308 said:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/wild-west-friday-check-out-bytehosting-11gb-ram-vps-for-8-25-month/

11GB RAM VPS for $8.25/month, 20GB RAM for $15/month, or 40GB RAM for $25/month.

Even better, they're using 64GB RAM host nodes. So if they sell one 40GB and one 20GB, the node is full. I have a hard time thinking there's a lot of profit on a server you're renting for $40/month considering there's DC fees, network, etc. to be paid out of that before you get to profit. Granted, the CPUs are E5-2620s but...even if you were able to put it all together at a cost of $30/month, your profits are beyond razor-thin. One chargeback and you've blown out the node's profits for months.

Oh, and they were founded earlier this year.

But anyway, if you're feeling adventurous on a Friday...

Why then publish them if you al ready have questions about.

Even if they for it I assume somebody checked it before posting...

• WickedWicked Member

byethosting

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • MrLimeMrLime Member

I think it's disgusting to read this from an Admin. It highlights that LowEndBox is useless and doesn't have the communities interests in mind. I want to find upcoming hosts with promise, not summer hosts who will steal my personal information and money.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited May 2022

@MrLime said: I think it's disgusting to read this from an Admin.

Even if you don't approve, "disgusting" is a bit strong, no?

What word do you use for things that are (actually) disgusting?

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • JasonMJasonM Member

did anyone here on LET bought that 11GB RAM VPS on 64 GB node offer?
    any feedback?

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

I am pretty sure that more RAM is installed in the host systems or will be installed in the future.

20GB RAM + 40GB RAM => 60 GB Ram
    So nearly full, but used only 12 of 24 available cpu threads and only 250 GB disk space from 4 TB useable?

If you calculate from the storage, the offer becomes much more realistic:
    4 TB / 100 GB = ~40 VMs with 20 GB Ram
    40 * 20 GB = 800 GB Ram
    40 * 6 vCores = 240 vCores

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between :) Nevertheless, this would be a good offer for those who need low CPU and IOPS performance. It's just a shame that the provider doesn't seem to be honest about the host configuration.

If only 64 GB of RAM is used in the host systems on a permanent basis (perhaps this is really the case at the moment ;)), I will give the provider a maximum of 6 months.

• reliablevps_usreliablevps_us Member, Patron Provider

@Chuck said:
    Do they have 3 years payment plan?

If its too good to be true and everyone is skeptical about it, you think getting a long time contract is a good idea?

• kuroneko23kuroneko23 Member
    edited May 2022

Their listed node specification is the same as in here word by word. Did none of the LEB admin notice this or it's a coincidence?

Edit : And you need either public whois or company registration info to post an offer. I see no company registration info in the post and their whois is private.

Thanked by 2darkenergy suyadi92
  • @RapToN said:
    I am pretty sure that more RAM is installed in the host systems or will be installed in the future.

So nearly full, but used only 12 of 24 available cpu threads and only 250 GB disk space from 4 TB useable?

40 * 20 GB = 800 GB Ram

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between :) Nevertheless, this would be a good offer for those who need low CPU and IOPS performance. It's just a shame that the provider doesn't seem to be honest about the host configuration.

If only 64 GB of RAM is used in the host systems on a permanent basis (perhaps this is really the case at the moment ;)), I will give the provider a maximum of 6 months.

or just add 512GB SSD swap.

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

@cybertech said:

@RapToN said:

40 * 20 GB = 800 GB Ram

I still believe in the good in people.... but of course it's also possible.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited May 2022

@RapToN said:

@cybertech said:

@RapToN said:

40 * 20 GB = 800 GB Ram

I still believe in the good in people.... but of course it's also possible.

its 2022. what good? hostsolutions was good.

• edited May 2022

@raindog308 said:

@MannDude said: I stopped reading when the rules didn't apply.

What rule was broken?

Just to be clear, the LEB rules are different than LET's.

While this may be true for LEB - you did post it on LET. And the provider breaks a few of them rules, so.. yeah. Rules have been broken.

@jbiloh how is that "make LEB non-scammy again" deal going? As a super wild guess - I'd say not well, no?

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • MrLimeMrLime Member

@angstrom said:

@MrLime said: I think it's disgusting to read this from an Admin.

Even if you don't approve, "disgusting" is a bit strong, no?

What word do you use for things that are (actually) disgusting?

revolting

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • ralfralf Member

@vedran said:
    Not exactly a rule (are there even rules on LEB?) but

We list virtual private server (VPS) deals for less than $10 per month, shared hosting for $7.00 per month, reseller hosting for $12.00 per month and dedicated server deals equal to or less than $125 per month

I do agree though, LEB used to be all about finding crazy unsustainable offers, if I remember correctly the very first offer from BuyVM was something like "this is new, crazy and unsustainable, expect a deadpool soon" and it ended up being one of our favorite providers. I have no problems with this offer

Actually, I was just trying to check the rules... https://lowendbox.com/submit-an-offer/ says:

The following are guidelines. We are willing sometimes to stretch limits if:

• an offer is unique (e.g., a geography we’ve never or rarely covered)
    • is part of a range of services, some of which start below our price limits
    • is new, different, or interesting in some way

I guess this offer is unique and interesting in that even the admins question it being sustainable and consider that it's potentially a scam...

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said: 11GB RAM VPS for $8.25/month, 20GB RAM for $15/month, or 40GB RAM for $25/month.

Ignoring all the rest, these are close to being possible, especially on older dual E5-2620 with HDDs. We were crunching numbers a few months back for a theoretical 8GB package that some people requested and $88 a year for 8GB on Ryzen was a possibility in certain locations.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this part though, but:

Datacenter Datalix: Frankfurt Germany

This is the most concerning out of everything I glanced at... dual E5 nodes, in Frankfurt, where power costs are absolutely insane. Those nodes aren't exactly known for being power efficient. Add in spinny disks, fans to cool dual 95W TDP processors, and a HW RAID controller and you're easily pushing over 1A 230V at let's say $0.40/kWh ... or $90+ per month just for the power.

At 2x RAM overselling, they cover power costs. At 3-4x RAM overselling, they cover the hardware. At 4-6x RAM overselling, they cover everything else. At 8x RAM overselling, they turn a profit?

I mean it's theoretically possible when you'll run out of everything else before the RAM, but the HDD swap is going to be interesting.

Thanked by 3FrankZ _MS_ Daniel15
  • @kuroneko23 said: Their listed node specification is the same as in here word by word. Did none of the LEB admin notice this or it's a coincidence?

I don't think it's a coincidence. They definitely just copy pasted the specs from the offer template.

@kuroneko23 said: Edit : And you need either public whois or company registration info to post an offer. I see no company registration info in the post and their whois is private.

I assume they submitted their company registration info to @raindog308 but it's just not on the offer post?

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • NoComment said:
    I assume they submitted their company registration info to @raindog308 but it's just not on the offer post?

It would be nice if he can include the company info for future offer.

• AndrewsAndrews Member

I thought they were only doing it for the (ads and $200) money... and sometimes they get rotten unknowingly

but now it looks like they are also having fun along the way posting obvious scams

and soon we will read again "every scammer deserves a second/third/fourth... chance"

• drizbodrizbo Member

You gotta meet the monthly quota of articles in order to receive bilohbucks from provider fees.

Thanked by 3BlaZe adly WSWD
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Andrews said:
    I thought they were only doing it for the (ads and $200) money... and sometimes they get rotten unknowingly

but now it looks like they are also having fun along the way posting obvious scams

and soon we will read again "every scammer deserves a second/third/fourth... chance"

GVH 3.0. He will be back under that, or as a sales rep for someone.

Francisco

Thanked by 2JasonM BlaZe
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

@MrLime said:
    I think it's disgusting to read this from an Admin. It highlights that LowEndBox is useless and doesn't have the communities interests in mind. I want to find upcoming hosts with promise, not summer hosts who will steal my personal information and money.

Most of the people here joined LET through LEB, not other way around. Certainly community interest is least, traffic on LEB is highest of Jb.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@mgcAna What hosting provider are you associated with?

Do you own, operate, or work for a hosting provider? Yes