Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean higer pricing and a smaller instance - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean higer pricing and a smaller instance

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said: can of spray whipped cream

A gentleman like you?

Not now, but as early as last week I was still the sort of uncouth monster that devoured whipped cream directly from the can.

How a man can change. Fascinating. All it took was the light touch of a Forum Administrator.

The lightest of touches. A simple, polite request, accompanied by a cat .gif.

Will the request ever be shared with us, the hard-working working-class who can only hope to one day become the gentleman that you are?

I would be more than happy to share the conversation with everyone, should the other party be equally open to the idea, although I assure you it is a completely cordial and polite, maybe even banal, conversation.

Share with me.

A man has his honour, and as said, lest the other party provide approval for the private discussion to be shared, it shall not be. I appreciate that you may find this frustrating, but a man must live (and die) by his code.

• emghemgh Member

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said: can of spray whipped cream

A gentleman like you?

Not now, but as early as last week I was still the sort of uncouth monster that devoured whipped cream directly from the can.

How a man can change. Fascinating. All it took was the light touch of a Forum Administrator.

The lightest of touches. A simple, polite request, accompanied by a cat .gif.

Will the request ever be shared with us, the hard-working working-class who can only hope to one day become the gentleman that you are?

I would be more than happy to share the conversation with everyone, should the other party be equally open to the idea, although I assure you it is a completely cordial and polite, maybe even banal, conversation.

Share with me.

A man has his honour, and as said, lest the other party provide approval for the private discussion to be shared, it shall not be. I appreciate that you may find this frustrating, but a man must live (and die) by his code.

All I want is for you to break the chains, be free and yell CUNT higher than ever yelled before.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • emghemgh Member

By the way, my hot chocolate started to boil and now it's very much a hot hot chocolate. Can't wait to taste it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2022

@emgh said:
    By the way, my hot chocolate started to boil and now it's very much a hot hot chocolate. Can't wait to taste it.

Oh no Sir, allowing the boil will impair the flavour, I would plead with you to start again and this time watch the pot carefully.

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2022

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

Oh no Sir, allowing the boil will impair the flavour, I would plead with you to start again and this time watch the pod carefully.

Actually, it was just Oboy and milk. Swedens Nesquik. https://www.amazon.com/Oboy-Chocolate-Drink-450g-15-8oz/dp/B01LY1UFXI.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@emgh said: Actually, it was just Oboy and milk. Swedens Nesquik. https://www.amazon.com/Oboy-Chocolate-Drink-450g-15-8oz/dp/B01LY1UFXI.

I have heard of this product but have yet to have the privilege of sampling it. I will rectify this situation as soon as practicable!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@woteti said:

@Hxxx said:
    You can also see signs of this when you see cloud market companies like Linode and Vultr adding Dedicated Servers.

Vultr yes. But linode?

Linode added Dedis... is on a quote basis. Check the website.

Thanked by 1woteti
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm not woke enough to use DO.

• emghemgh Member

@raindog308 said:
    I'm not woke enough to use DO.

Prod VPS provider of choice?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited May 2022

Amazon Lightsail has 1C+1G+40GB SSD+2TB egress for $5
    DigitalOcean has 1C+1G+25GB SSD+1TB egress for $6

Lightsail is free for first 3 months too + has a lot more things for free in AWS Free Tier like Cloudfront CDN with 1TB/mo free.

... good luck DigitalOcean.

@Hetzner_OL consider adding Asia region in near future, there will be a lot of clients leaving DO and you can expand very, very easily with 0 marketing costs.

Edit: Can anybody share YABS from Linode? Very curious about their "40Gbps network In" in their cheap VPSes.

Thanked by 3emgh craigb xms
  • LeeLee Veteran

All it takes is one. Vultr will follow, and so will Linode and others. The bigger providers know their real customer base. Ultimately, they would rather align with each other at a higher price than be cheaper.

• xetsysxetsys Member

Buyvm Luxemborg 512Mb used to be my go to for cheap and quality VPS. Now their lowest offering starts from 3.5$. Are there any decent alternatives? It sucks that the providers are taking away the lower spec offering or increasing prices when it should be other way around moving forward.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@xetsys said:
    Buyvm Luxemborg 512Mb used to be my go to for cheap and quality VPS. Now their lowest offering starts from 3.5$. Are there any decent alternatives? It sucks that the providers are taking away the lower spec offering or increasing prices when it should be other way around moving forward.

We haven't increased prices anywhere, we just don't stock the 512's as they burn up a lot of IP's.

Francisco

• emghemgh Member

@Francisco said:

@xetsys said:

We haven't increased prices anywhere, we just don't stock the 512's as they burn up a lot of IP's.

Francisco

I mean, practically, doesn't that increase the price of the cheapest VPS I could realistically grab from BuyVM?

• emghemgh Member

@AXYZE said:
    Amazon Lightsail has 1C+1G+40GB SSD+2TB egress for $5
    DigitalOcean has 1C+1G+25GB SSD+1TB egress for $6

Lightsail is free for first 3 months too + has a lot more things for free in AWS Free Tier like Cloudfront CDN with 1TB/mo free.

... good luck DigitalOcean.

@Hetzner_OL consider adding Asia region in near future, there will be a lot of clients leaving DO and you can expand very, very easily with 0 marketing costs.

Edit: Can anybody share YABS from Linode? Very curious about their "40Gbps network In" in their cheap VPSes.

https://vitobotta.com/2021/09/10/disk-cpu-performance-linode-vs-digitalocean-vs-upcloud-vs-hetzner-vs-terrahost-vs-scaleway/
    https://gist.github.com/vitobotta/7604d7a38e96824a5d0b6d398498433e

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@emgh said: I mean, practically, doesn't that increase the price of the cheapest VPS I could realistically grab from BuyVM?

512MB is pretty tight these days anyway, but fair.

Francisco

Thanked by 1emgh
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@Lee said:
    All it takes is one. Vultr will follow, and so will Linode and others. The bigger providers know their real customer base. Ultimately, they would rather align with each other at a higher price than be cheaper.

Vultr&Linode would align, instead of being cheaper?

Linode cheapest 2core = $20
    Vultr cheapest 2core = $20
    DO cheapest 2core before price increase = $15
    DO cheapest 2core after price increase = $18

It's not that easy, especially in case of Vultr.

Vultr has 4 choices in lowend (Premium AMD, Premium Intel, High Frequency Intel, Regular) which is very confusing for customers... like what is faster - Premium AMD, Premium Intel or High Frequency Intel? If high frequency is faster then why they also have more ssd space? And why the hell "Premium" are most cost-effective than regular in terms of traffic ($6 Premium = 2TB, $5 Regular = 1TB, $10 Regular = 2TB)?
    It's hella confusing.
    If they would increase pricing then I would say just increase premium/hf ones, as regular dont make any sense right now.

• emghemgh Member

@Francisco said:

@emgh said: I mean, practically, doesn't that increase the price of the cheapest VPS I could realistically grab from BuyVM?

512MB is pretty tight these days anyway, but fair.

Francisco

Fair enough.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2022

@emgh said:

@Francisco said:

@xetsys said:

Francisco

I mean, practically, doesn't that increase the price of the cheapest VPS I could realistically grab from BuyVM?

I'd line that up more with the fact that the reality of the situation is that IPv4 holds more value than the cheapest prices you'll find.

@xetsys said:

That assumption (that prices should decrease over time) isn't true when a vital component of the product (in this case, VPS and therefore IPv4) increases in value. The unit cost of a VPS in terms of computing power has increased in cost over time (by that I mean you can get more CPU power per $$$ than you did 5 years ago). But now it's the cost of IPv4 that holds many of these providers back, especially since there's a fixed supply of it world-wide.

Such is the state of the internet. If you have any better ideas on reducing costs than we're all ears.

• @Nekki said:

@emgh said: Actually, your list is better, I had a very narrow view of only choosing sodas since I'm what's commonly referred to as a "lazy fuck". But your first and second choices definitely trump mine.

Not too sure about the third one though, haven't seen here.

It is a beverage that I believe is commonly found only in North America. Whilst I have imported cans of said beverage in the past, it always tastes sweetest when I get to sample it whilst visiting it's country of origin.

a&w cream soda is meh. scheweweweweppes cream soda is where it's at mmmm

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2022

@doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said: Actually, your list is better, I had a very narrow view of only choosing sodas since I'm what's commonly referred to as a "lazy fuck". But your first and second choices definitely trump mine.

It is a beverage that I believe is commonly found only in North America. Whilst I have imported cans of said beverage in the past, it always tastes sweetest when I get to sample it whilst visiting it's country of origin.

I have never had the opportunity to imbibe this delightful sounding beverage. I will see if it can be purchased anywhere in my native land.

God Lord! £4.99 per can! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schweppes-Cream-Soda-355Ml/dp/B007GR5596

• emghemgh Member

@Nekki said:

@doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

I have never had the opportunity to imbibe this delightful sounding beverage. I will see if it can be purchased anywhere in my native land.

God Lord! £4.99 per can! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schweppes-Cream-Soda-355Ml/dp/B007GR5596

Does the avatar change mean 50 % of Old Nekki is back?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, my avatar hasn't changed, has it?

• emghemgh Member

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

Weird, I didn't see the "new" one with half-half until now.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@emgh said:

@Nekki said:

@doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

Weird, I didn't see the "new" one with half-half until now.

I believe the relevant vernacular is 'blame the cluster'? I tidied the image about an hour ago, but the basic image is the same.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The post does not say that new $4 VPSes will have ipv4. That price point makes more sense if they're ipv6-only.

• @doghouch said:

@Nekki said:

Jones soda.

• KousakaKousaka Member

In fact for many individual users they are able to pay $1 less now

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2022

The poll options made me roll with laughter but then I realize that this hurts my fellow cheapskates. Literally everything these days seems to be rising to the point it feels advantageous - not that 1 dollar will make most of us poor but probably a student out there... you never know...

Thanked by 1emgh
  • DazzleDazzle Member

@Nekki said:

Your message reminds me of @jamespeach 's early comments, weird and ... robotic, hence polite.

I expect this is a probation to become a mod, no?