Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean higer pricing and a smaller instance - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean higer pricing and a smaller instance

13»

Comments

• raviravi Member

The new pricing will be followed soon by other similar providers like vultr / linode etc.

• JasonMJasonM Member

I thought server/hosting prices will go down! but they're going up

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Dazzle said: Your message reminds me of @jamespeach 's early comments, weird and ... robotic, hence polite.

I expect this is a probation to become a mod, no?

My dear fellow, I find it highly unlikely I would be invited to undertake such a lofty role once more, I fear my copybook has been quite heavily blotted with our dear leader @jbiloh .

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @JasonM said:

Power and V4 prices are high, makes sense that hosting prices are rising.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@LiliLabs said:

@JasonM said:

Power and V4 prices are high, makes sense that hosting prices are rising.

Digital Oceans's cost structure and money losing nature is the primary driver when it comes to price increases.

As for power prices, at least in the markets where I am familiar with, they are only up modestly on a year over year basis in the USA and are actually down from 2018 levels.

• suutsuut Member

Digitalocean paid me. :(

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@suut said:

Sir, I am quite unclear as to why receiving payment from Digital Ocean has a left you feeling glum? Do share why this situation has left you feeling someone bereft.

• jamespeachjamespeach Member
    edited May 2022

@Dazzle said:

@Nekki said:

I would be more than happy to share the conversation with everyone, should the other party be equally open to the idea, although I assure you it is a completely cordial and polite, maybe even banal, conversation.

Your message reminds me of @jamespeach 's early comments, weird and ... robotic, hence polite.

Dearest Dazzle,

I am unaware and unsure of the meaning behind your comment. Weird and robotically are peculiar terms to use to describe an individual such as myself. Long gone are the days of old LowEndTalk, however its actions and memories will always be forthcoming. With times upon to you, I wish thee the best in that regard.

With Warm Regards,
    James Peach

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • emghemgh Member

@jamespeach said:

@Dazzle said:

@Nekki said:

I would be more than happy to share the conversation with everyone, should the other party be equally open to the idea, although I assure you it is a completely cordial and polite, maybe even banal, conversation.

Your message reminds me of @jamespeach 's early comments, weird and ... robotic, hence polite.

Dearest Dazzle,

I am unaware and unsure of the meaning behind your comment. Weird and robotically are peculiar terms to use to describe an individual such as myself. Long gone are the days of old LowEndTalk, however its actions and memories will always be forthcoming. With times upon to you, I wish thee the best in that regard.

With Warm Regards,
    James Peach

My thread spawned you.

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@ravi said: The new pricing will be followed soon by other similar providers like vultr / linode etc.
    @jbiloh said: As for power prices, at least in the markets where I am familiar with, they are only up modestly on a year over year basis in the USA and are actually down from 2018 levels.

As always the real poll topic is in the comments!

Will other providers (use this as an excuse) follow suit?

I really expect the decision is driven more by:
    a) Cost of labour increases (its long been the case that 1 support ticket eats all margin on small accounts); and
    b) The need to show returns for investers

I hope other providers do not follow suit. $5/1GB fufills my OCD and (afinity for round numbers).

@SplitIce said:

@ravi said: The new pricing will be followed soon by other similar providers like vultr / linode etc.
    @jbiloh said: As for power prices, at least in the markets where I am familiar with, they are only up modestly on a year over year basis in the USA and are actually down from 2018 levels.

As always the real poll topic is in the comments!

Will other providers (use this as an excuse) follow suit?

I really expect the decision is driven more by:
    a) Cost of labour increases (its long been the case that 1 support ticket eats all margin on small accounts); and
    b) The need to show returns for investers

I hope other providers do not follow suit. $5/1GB fufills my OCD and (afinity for round numbers).

Agreed.

Digital Ocean has public investors to appease. The appetite among those investors for money losing tech companies has quickly faded. Digital Ocean is in the middle of a full court press to achieve real profitability.

• emghemgh Member

@SplitIce said: b) The need to show returns for investers

That were my initial thoughts. Their stock price is looking sad.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jamespeach said: I wish thee

I appreciate you preponing your personal transformation and doing the needful by reforming yourself. I will intimate that you were sometimes a rowdy sheeter in the past.

(Yes, I do spend much of my time talking to people in India, whose English is peppered with charming 18th centuryisms).

• suutsuut Member

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

Sir, I am quite unclear as to why receiving payment from Digital Ocean has a left you feeling glum? Do share why this situation has left you feeling someone bereft.

I want to use PayPal.

• emghemgh Member

@suut said:

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

I want to use PayPal.

Hehe

• emghemgh Member

@emgh said:

@suut said:

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

I want to use PayPal.

Hehe

@Nekki

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@suut said:

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

I want to use PayPal.

Sir, this is still quite unclear.

First, you state that Digital Ocean have paid you, and you appear to be sad about his fact.

The when asked why you were sad, you state because you want to use PayPal, one assumes to pay Digital Ocean. What remains unclear is how these two statements are connected. Perhaps you could furnish us with an answer?

What the fuck are you going on about?

Thanked by 2emgh webcraft
  • emghemgh Member

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

I want to use PayPal.

First, you state that Digital Ocean have paid you, and you appear to be sad about his fact.

The when asked why you were sad, you state because you want to use PayPal, one assumes to pay Digital Ocean. What remains unclear is how these two statements are connected. Perhaps you could furnish us with an answer?

Knew you’d share some wisdom.

• @raindog308 said:

@jamespeach said: I wish thee

I appreciate you preponing your personal transformation and doing the needful by reforming yourself. I will intimate that you were sometimes a rowdy sheeter in the past.

(Yes, I do spend much of my time talking to people in India, whose English is peppered with charming 18th centuryisms).

Sir, kindly revert and do the needful.

• oh shoot, just topped up 500 bucks on Vultr. hopefully they wont follow up too quickly.

@noisycode said:
    oh shoot, just topped up 500 bucks on Vultr. hopefully they wont follow up too quickly.

My guess is that Vultr and Linode will follow.

• suutsuut Member

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

@Nekki said:

@suut said:

I want to use PayPal.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/176255/why-digitalocean-sends-8-6-paypal-balance

• So much niceness in here makes me want to vomit 🤮

Bring back the real and unhinged @Nekki