Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why DigitalOcean sends $8.6 PayPal balance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why DigitalOcean sends $8.6 PayPal balance?

Did you get it?

Comments

• no, give it to me

• Check your PayPal and find this surprise. Many people have received $8.6 from DigitalOcean.

• @suut said:
    Did you get it?

yes, $0.07 😆

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I thought it was just me. They sent me two $5 payments with no note.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said:
    I thought it was just me. They sent me two $5 payments with no note.

"Alex was right.".

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Admittedly if I had deposited any money into any of my accounts (multiple for testing different scenarios + teams), it would've always been $5. It was the minimum, and I deposited $5 several times to test customer reports of issues. I thought I refunded myself each time though.

• signing up for a DO account now!!!!!

• Account with active service, perhaps....

• vovlervovler Member
    edited December 2021

Xmas present? :open_mouth:

Or someone is getting fired

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2021

One of my clients gave me £50 for a Xmas pressie - well chuffed! :D
    NotQuiteSoSkint

• @vovler said:
    Xmas present? :open_mouth:

Or someone is getting fired

Maybe xmas present.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

No comment, so secret santa :P

• Hmm, I received $6.47 which also happens to be exactly how many account credits I have. I haven't had any active services since May 2020, so definitely not limited to accounts with active services.

Maybe they are paying out inactive accounts that have account credits. I still have my account credits.

Thanked by 1vedran
  • I received $19.14 and it's showing as "PayPal refund" in their billing history. I did have exactly that much in account credits, but I also still have those credits ... Weird

• I received a $4.77 refund. Apparently DO refunded my $5 payment (made in 2019) minus the $0.23 that was actually used. Maybe they refunded unused credit for some reason, idk.

• Use your credits quickly :D

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2021

I've only just discovered that DO gave me a whole 9c - yippee!
    .. and a long-standing ad-hoc client signed up to my hosting today. Hurrah!
    NotSoSkintAgain.
    :smiley:

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Well, I have an account with them since 2013.

I have never used their service other then sign up for an account.

But yesterday they sent me $5, I log in to check out their site, and it tells me I need to verify my account with paypal or credit card.

They only let you pay $5 minimum to verify!

So the money they sent me was to verify my account. Haha.

• @iNanja said: other then sign up

Hmmm

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@iNanja said:
    Well, I have an account with them since 2013.

I have never used their service other then sign up for an account.

But yesterday they sent me $5, I log in to check out their site, and it tells me I need to verify my account with paypal or credit card.

They only let you pay $5 minimum to verify!

So the money they sent me was to verify my account. Haha.

Maybe they sent you the money so you could signup?

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited December 2021

It's a refund. It's clearly stated on the paypal. They refund the unused credit. I topup $10, and used $4 on 2020. Now I got refund of $6.

Check on your billing.

Thanked by 1suut
  • I wonder what the criteria is. I have an A/c registered in 2014 with 5 USD unused credit. No refund yet.

• @varwww said:
    I wonder what the criteria is. I have an A/c registered in 2014 with 5 USD unused credit. No refund yet.

Just an update, received the refund yesterday.

• Wondered if it was them clearing out old liabilities (unused 'free' credit).

I topped up $5 years ago purely as a prerequisite for receiving a much larger block of additional promo credit, then never really used their service as I tend to run VPS's 365.

I got my payment refunded yesterday (minus some early testing) BUT have also lost the additional credit which wasn't actually time limited.

Could argue that I wouldn't have left them holding my $5 if I'd known my free credit would be pulled at some future time, but I'm not really complaining. Offering any kind of discount, promo credit, freebie without time constraints is a bit of an accounting nightmare.

Thanked by 1suut
  • Just got mine on February 4th $5

Just read the email now. Lol.