Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch - New non-sale pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch - New non-sale pricing

Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
edited April 2022 in Providers

I just noticed that HostHatch have revamped their standard (non-sale) pricing and moved the plans to their new platform with AMD EPYC CPUs and Samsung Gen4 NVMe drives.

Old pricing vs new pricing.

There's definitely tradeoffs in that the newer plans come with less disk space and therefore a worse memory to disk ratio, which is my main pain point with HostHatch's plans. It's mostly a nice improvement though.

4 dedicated cores + 16GB RAM + 100GB storage used to be $40/month, but a kinda similar plan with 4 cores (2 dedicated and 2 fair share) + 16GB RAM + 75GB storage is now only $15/month. That's pretty competitive if you look at what other providers with higher-end AMD Ryzen or EPYC processors (like BuyVM, Nexusbytes, etc) offer for that price.

The old pricing started at $5/month for one core (50% dedicated), 2GB RAM and 20GB space, going up to $160/month for 16 dedicated cores, 64GB RAM and 340GB space The new pricing starts at $4/month for one core (fair share), 2GB RAM and 10GB space, going up to $69/month (nice) for 16 cores (8 dedicated, 8 fair share), 96GB RAM and 250GB space.

I think that's actually some of the best pricing I've seen for a server with AMD EPYC, 96GB RAM, and NVMe disks in countries like the USA and Australia. If only the disk space was a bit larger! Disk only being 2.5x the size of the RAM is an unusual ratio.

Their support is still pretty slow/unresponsive at times. Sometimes my tickets take over a month to get a response. That's probably one of their tradeoffs to save money, but I hope it gets a bit better over time - It's the one thing that seems to hold them back, based on other customers' comments on this forum. The plans are really great when they work, and I personally haven't had any major issues (knock on wood).

(no I'm not affiliated with them in any way - these are just my thoughts as a customer)

Comments

• LisoLiso Member

Is it reliable though for production use? I'm curious though as the BF package one mostly filled with complain (be it support team or technical issue)

• @Liso said: Is it reliable though for production use?

I've been running my email server on HostHatch for a while and haven't had any issues. I recently migrated a BuyVM server to HostHatch too. Most of my important stuff (my site, dnstools.ws, my email, a few other things) are all on HostHatch now. I've got a Black Friday 10TB storage VPS with them too, which I use like a NAS and store backups etc on it.

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited April 2022

Nice summary @Daniel15

So what's missing is the upgrade path for our the old BF19 services. They once said there'll be a bigger tradeoff or price adjustment but looking at their new prices, this might not be required (or maybe 5-10% less disk to be upgraded for the same price).

• @Liso said:
    Is it reliable though for production use? I'm curious though as the BF package one mostly filled with complain (be it support team or technical issue)

Mostly people don't write positive reviews, just negative ones. I have 19 services with them and they have all been rock solid, no downtime or performance issues. I host my personal site as well as a number of services with them and I have had 0 compliants. I'd say that they're a 10/10 provider if you avoid Chicago (and maybe LA), just because Psychz is hot garbage.

• Is there any yabs of these new plans? I had a promo plan that I cancelled because it was kinda weak. Would be curious to see what $4/mth gets.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited April 2022

@JoeMerit said:
    Is there any yabs of these new plans? I had a promo plan that I cancelled because it was kinda weak. Would be curious to see what $4/mth gets.

I don't have one of their standard plans at the moment (thinking about getting one though), but here's a YABS I previously did of a Black Friday 2021 sale one that was $70/year (3 cores, 1 dedicated, 60GB storage, 8GB RAM + extra 2GB for two year payment, Los Angeles)

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-12-28                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun 06 Feb 2022 03:51:23 PM PST

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7443P 24-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 3 @ 2844.654 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 9.7 GiB
    Swap       : 975.0 MiB
    Disk       : 53.8 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 301.00 MB/s  (75.2k) | 3.76 GB/s    (58.8k)
    Write      | 301.79 MB/s  (75.4k) | 3.78 GB/s    (59.1k)
    Total      | 602.80 MB/s (150.7k) | 7.55 GB/s   (118.0k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 9.03 GB/s    (17.6k) | 9.02 GB/s     (8.8k)
    Write      | 9.51 GB/s    (18.5k) | 9.62 GB/s     (9.3k)
    Total      | 18.55 GB/s   (36.2k) | 18.64 GB/s   (18.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 261 Mbits/sec   | 560 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 357 Mbits/sec   | 743 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | 397 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 238 Mbits/sec   | 504 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 673 Mbits/sec   | 1.46 Gbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 4.08 Gbits/sec  | 505 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.85 Gbits/sec  | 5.68 Gbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 272 Mbits/sec   | 966 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.41 Gbits/sec  | 363 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 4.50 Gbits/sec  | 440 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.14 Gbits/sec  | 344 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 359 Mbits/sec   | 331 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 2.99 Gbits/sec  | 1.01 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.71 Gbits/sec  | 5.17 Gbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1218
    Multi Core      | 3392
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/12626902

• @Daniel15 said:

@JoeMerit said:
    Is there any yabs of these new plans? I had a promo plan that I cancelled because it was kinda weak. Would be curious to see what $4/mth gets.

I don't have one of their standard plans at the moment (thinking about getting one though), but here's a YABS I previously did of a Black Friday 2021 sale one that was $70/year (3 cores, 1 dedicated, 60GB storage, 8GB RAM + extra 2GB for two year payment, Los Angeles)

#                     v2021-12-28                    #

Sun 06 Feb 2022 03:51:23 PM PST

CPU cores  : 3 @ 2844.654 MHz
    RAM        : 9.7 GiB
    Disk       : 53.8 GiB

Read       | 301.00 MB/s  (75.2k) | 3.76 GB/s    (58.8k)
    Write      | 301.79 MB/s  (75.4k) | 3.78 GB/s    (59.1k)
    Total      | 602.80 MB/s (150.7k) | 7.55 GB/s   (118.0k)
               |                      |
    Read       | 9.03 GB/s    (17.6k) | 9.02 GB/s     (8.8k)
    Write      | 9.51 GB/s    (18.5k) | 9.62 GB/s     (9.3k)
    Total      | 18.55 GB/s   (36.2k) | 18.64 GB/s   (18.2k)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 261 Mbits/sec   | 560 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 357 Mbits/sec   | 743 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | 397 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 238 Mbits/sec   | 504 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 673 Mbits/sec   | 1.46 Gbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 4.08 Gbits/sec  | 505 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.85 Gbits/sec  | 5.68 Gbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 272 Mbits/sec   | 966 Mbits/sec

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.41 Gbits/sec  | 363 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 4.50 Gbits/sec  | 440 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.14 Gbits/sec  | 344 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 359 Mbits/sec   | 331 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 2.99 Gbits/sec  | 1.01 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.71 Gbits/sec  | 5.17 Gbits/sec

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1218
    Multi Core      | 3392
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/12626902

It’s awesome

• @LiliLabs said:

@Liso said:

Mostly people don't write positive reviews, just negative ones. I have 19 services with them and they have all been rock solid, no downtime or performance issues. I host my personal site as well as a number of services with them and I have had 0 compliants. I'd say that they're a 10/10 provider if you avoid Chicago (and maybe LA), just because Psychz is hot garbage.

As a HostHatch Chicago user, I no longer recommend them. Started off pretty good, but involucrated server and slow AF nvme tend to put a damper on things. Still waiting on getting reprovisioned on a new server for the involucrated server and it's been how long?

Thanked by 1bark
  • You get that same support and oversold nodes though

• @TimboJones said:

@LiliLabs said:

@Liso said:

As a HostHatch Chicago user, I no longer recommend them. Started off pretty good, but involucrated server and slow AF nvme tend to put a damper on things. Still waiting on getting reprovisioned on a new server for the involucrated server and it's been how long?

Yeah it seems like Chicago has been a bit of a mess. It made me a bit hesitant to move more stuff across, but so far all my VPSes (mostly in Los Angeles) has been working fine (knock on wood).

@corbpie said: oversold nodes though

Are the nodes oversold? At least on their new AMD EPYC platform, the performance seems pretty consistently fast to me.

Thanked by 1bark
  • @Daniel15 said: Are the nodes oversold? At least on their new AMD EPYC platform, the performance seems pretty consistently fast to me.

Not sure if consistent through old vs new but the CPU and disk at the SYD location has dropped.

edited April 2022

@corbpie said:

@Daniel15 said: Are the nodes oversold? At least on their new AMD EPYC platform, the performance seems pretty consistently fast to me.

Not sure if consistent through old vs new but the CPU and disk at the SYD location has dropped.

I just ran a YABS on my Sydney VPS:

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #                     v2022-02-18                    #

Sun 17 Apr 2022 05:52:50 PM PDT

Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2999.998 MHz
    RAM        : 981.8 MiB
    Disk       : 8.8 GiB

Read       | 78.43 MB/s   (19.6k) | 192.10 MB/s   (3.0k)
    Write      | 78.63 MB/s   (19.6k) | 193.11 MB/s   (3.0k)
    Total      | 157.07 MB/s  (39.2k) | 385.22 MB/s   (6.0k)
               |                      |
    Read       | 335.39 MB/s    (655) | 373.28 MB/s    (364)
    Write      | 353.21 MB/s    (689) | 398.14 MB/s    (388)
    Total      | 688.60 MB/s   (1.3k) | 771.43 MB/s    (752)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 507 Mbits/sec   | 454 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 538 Mbits/sec   | 431 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 564 Mbits/sec   | busy
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 630 Mbits/sec   | 398 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 545 Mbits/sec   | 138 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 580 Mbits/sec   | 408 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 626 Mbits/sec   | 484 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 535 Mbits/sec   | 248 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 565 Mbits/sec   | 149 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 559 Mbits/sec   | 194 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 638 Mbits/sec   | 250 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 518 Mbits/sec   | 52.9 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 623 Mbits/sec   | 142 Mbits/sec

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 604
    Multi Core      | 608
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/14384945

Disk speeds aren't as good as they used to be, but they're not bad, and still higher than most people would need. Geekbench score is only slightly below average for that CPU (684 according to https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-xeon-e5-2690-v2) which could just be virtualization overheard plus the fact that my VPS doesn't have dedicated CPU

Disk in Los Angeles on Intel systems is better:

Read       | 85.42 MB/s   (21.3k) | 721.50 MB/s  (11.2k)
    Write      | 85.65 MB/s   (21.4k) | 725.30 MB/s  (11.3k)
    Total      | 171.08 MB/s  (42.7k) | 1.44 GB/s    (22.6k)
               |                      |
    Read       | 832.80 MB/s   (1.6k) | 1.11 GB/s     (1.0k)
    Write      | 877.05 MB/s   (1.7k) | 1.18 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Total      | 1.70 GB/s     (3.3k) | 2.30 GB/s     (2.2k)

Disk on their new AMD systems are the best:

Read       | 272.49 MB/s  (68.1k) | 2.97 GB/s    (46.4k)
    Write      | 273.21 MB/s  (68.3k) | 2.99 GB/s    (46.7k)
    Total      | 545.70 MB/s (136.4k) | 5.96 GB/s    (93.2k)
               |                      |
    Read       | 9.54 GB/s    (18.6k) | 8.71 GB/s     (8.5k)
    Write      | 10.05 GB/s   (19.6k) | 9.29 GB/s     (9.0k)
    Total      | 19.59 GB/s   (38.2k) | 18.00 GB/s   (17.5k)

• raviravi Member

I think they should add some more disk space to the plans.
    And they really need to revamped their support system.

• @TimboJones said:

I just avoid any locations/hosts using Psychz, their network is horrible and it makes anything on their net semi unusable.

Thanked by 3FrankZ bulbasaur bark
  • @LiliLabs said:

@TimboJones said:

I just avoid any locations/hosts using Psychz, their network is horrible and it makes anything on their net semi unusable.

I wish HostHatch didn't use Psychz in Los Angeles. That's where four of my VPSes with them are located, as it's the closest location to me. The network is usually fine, but it does have hiccups, and open connections sporadically drop. I've got a ticket open since February 28 about SSH connections dropping, with a Wireshark capture attached, and so far no response.

I guess I gotta post the song again because it's 🔥:

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited April 2022

@Daniel15 said:
    I've been running my email server on HostHatch for a while and haven't had any issues.

Do you have any tips to get the IP reputation up? My mailserver on HH Stockholm, even after adding the IP to the Google and Microsoft postmaster programmes and dnswl.org, are still getting marked as spam to almost all mailservices. :-( SPF and DMARC are enabled.

edited April 2022

@the_doctor said: Do you have any tips to get the IP reputation up?

I cheated 🤣 I relay outbound emails through MXRoute.

I already had a good Black Friday package for MXRoute. I set up a catchall account for each domain in MXRoute, then on my server I use Mailcow and configured each domain to use the relevant account for relaying. Inbound mail comes directly to me, while outbound email goes via MXRoute. It works great.

I would have used MXRoute but I have some specific requirements. My email account has ~400k emails in it. I need to clean it up at some point, but I do search through them to find old emails sometimes. Search on an account that size is just impossible without something like Solr (which MXRoute doesn't use). I used to have this account at MXRoute and tried their search but gave up after waiting a minute with no results.

• I have 40+ vms for idling. What can or should I do?!

• @Arirang said:
    I have 40+ vms for idling. What can or should I do?!

Give it away

• pbxpbx Member

Interesting, thanks. Price if pretty good if they provide quicker support for 'regular' users than for those on the specials.

@JoeMerit said: Is there any yabs of these new plans? I had a promo plan that I cancelled because it was kinda weak. Would be curious to see what $4/mth gets.

Would be interested as well to know if there is a difference. I would assume that they are on the same nodes, though. At least on some locations.

• kendkend Member

@Liso said:

No, I don't recommend production environment with them. When the server is running well, everything is ok. You got nice setups with nice price. But when problem occurs, it sometimes would turn out to be a disaster and you would lose money or your project.

I have just used this holiday time to cancelled all my HostHatch servers immediately and rebuild them with other providers. One of my HH server has been offline&unusable for more than 15 days and they still haven't answered my ticket to solve the problem. This is not acceptable. I don't think "it's low-end" is the proper excuse for not answering server down tickets, which should always be an urgent issue for any kind any level of hosting providers.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @Arirang said:

List them here for transfers :wink:

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:
    I just noticed that HostHatch have revamped their standard (non-sale) pricing and moved the plans to their new platform with AMD EPYC CPUs and Samsung Gen4 NVMe drives.

Old pricing vs new pricing.

There's definitely tradeoffs in that the newer plans come with less disk space and therefore a worse memory to disk ratio, which is my main pain point with HostHatch's plans. It's mostly a nice improvement though.

4 dedicated cores + 16GB RAM + 100GB storage used to be $40/month, but a kinda similar plan with 4 cores (2 dedicated and 2 fair share) + 16GB RAM + 75GB storage is now only $15/month. That's pretty competitive if you look at what other providers with higher-end AMD Ryzen or EPYC processors (like BuyVM, Nexusbytes, etc) offer for that price.

The old pricing started at $5/month for one core (50% dedicated), 2GB RAM and 20GB space, going up to $160/month for 16 dedicated cores, 64GB RAM and 340GB space The new pricing starts at $4/month for one core (fair share), 2GB RAM and 10GB space, going up to $69/month (nice) for 16 cores (8 dedicated, 8 fair share), 96GB RAM and 250GB space.

I think that's actually some of the best pricing I've seen for a server with AMD EPYC, 96GB RAM, and NVMe disks in countries like the USA and Australia. If only the disk space was a bit larger! Disk only being 2.5x the size of the RAM is an unusual ratio.

Their support is still pretty slow/unresponsive at times. Sometimes my tickets take over a month to get a response. That's probably one of their tradeoffs to save money, but I hope it gets a bit better over time - It's the one thing that seems to hold them back, based on other customers' comments on this forum. The plans are really great when they work, and I personally haven't had any major issues (knock on wood).

(no I'm not affiliated with them in any way - these are just my thoughts as a customer)

Thank you for the feedback on the new plans. Note that we just "soft-launched" them for now. We're going to launch the new website soon, and then start migrating legacy customers into the new platform. There are still a few basics that need to be completed for the new panel though (like IPv6 reverse DNS).

As for the plans - they are not yet the final plans, and we might make a few changes to them in the coming days and weeks. But the RAM/disk ratios - it would raise the pricing by a considerable percentage if we did higher storage for each plan, because you can only fit in a certain number of hot-swap NVMes into a single server.....and it starts getting way more expensive if you try to go above a certain number.

So instead we will build a high-performance pure NVMe block storage product, that you can attach to these VMs if you really do need more storage.

We've been super impressed with Hetzner Cloud, and wanted to do something similar - and for it to be available in 16 (and more) locations - with the same, predictable performance and price.

@pbx said: Would be interested as well to know if there is a difference. I would assume that they are on the same nodes, though. At least on some locations.

The new plans are deployed on new hardware, and it's the same exact Dell EMC servers, with AMD Milan CPUs and Samsung enterprise NVMes in all locations. We haven't cut any corners on these servers. They do not share nodes with the older plans. We also don't plan to do any crazy promotions for them (as was the case on BF21), as we've already priced them very well compared to what everyone else on the market offers.

We might still do some promotions here and there with "legacy plans" on the older E5 servers, but the performance will be significantly different for obvious reasons.

• @hosthatch said:
    We've been super impressed with Hetzner Cloud, and wanted to do something similar - and for it to be available in 16 (and more) locations - with the same, predictable performance and price.

Ok, now I'm excited. :-) Looking forward to it!

• pbxpbx Member

@hosthatch said: We haven't cut any corners on these servers. They do not share nodes with the older plans. We also don't plan to do any crazy promotions for them (as was the case on BF21), as we've already priced them very well compared to what everyone else on the market offers.

We might still do some promotions here and there with "legacy plans" on the older E5 servers, but the performance will be significantly different for obvious reasons.

Sounds like a decent long term strategy!

• @Liso said:

HostHatch is fine for production, your production environment should never be on only one host, lowend or not. Support is really a downside though, but it's fantastic when it works, and when it doesn't, just fail over to someone else.

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited April 2022
    #                     v2022-02-18                    #

Mon Apr 18 21:07:49 BST 2022

CPU cores  : 4 @ 2844.654 MHz
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.7 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 67.6 GiB

Read       | 296.69 MB/s  (74.1k) | 3.91 GB/s    (61.2k)
    Write      | 297.48 MB/s  (74.3k) | 3.93 GB/s    (61.5k)
    Total      | 594.17 MB/s (148.5k) | 7.85 GB/s   (122.7k)
               |                      |
    Read       | 6.09 GB/s    (11.9k) | 6.58 GB/s     (6.4k)
    Write      | 6.42 GB/s    (12.5k) | 7.02 GB/s     (6.8k)
    Total      | 12.52 GB/s   (24.4k) | 13.61 GB/s   (13.2k)

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1171
    Multi Core      | 3982
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/14401390

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @Daniel15 said:
    Search on an account that size is just impossible without something like Solr (which MXRoute doesn't use). I used to have this account at MXRoute and tried their search but gave up after waiting a minute with no results.

The gmail instant search results for 15GB of email appears as witchcraft to me. It's why I'll need to stick with gmail for my primary email for the foreseeable future. Anyone who's used Outlook desktop search will know searching sucks.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @Arirang said:

Seek professional help.

Thanked by 3bdl bakageta 0xbkt