Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Doubled VPS Prices for International customers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Doubled VPS Prices for International customers

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Must...not...make...nazi jokes....

Francisco

• I was looking at the RS range

• PilotseyePilotseye Member
    edited March 2022

@Mastodont said:

@LeonDynamic said: they’ve removed the 12 month option from the EU site

I can see it.
    https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2596

For me it is showing a contract periode of 0 months for a higher price now, is that new?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@JabJab said:
    I would assume Flux Network is the new Chia network.

https://runonflux.io/flux-nodes.html
    https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/fluxnodes

also if you click FluxNode Renting Options you will end with link to Google Docs with recommended (?) providers and there is OVH, Hetzner, netcup and @Advin servers. I hope those last guys are ready for the hit :P

@aj_potc said:
    Can anybody shed light on this "Flux Network hype" they refer to in their announcement? I'm not familiar with this.

Do they believe people are buying their servers and the reselling the resources?

Flux Nodes are some new crypto scheme that runs benchmarks (CPU, Disk, etc) and you need to perform above a certain threshold in order to get rewards. If you don't perform above that threshold, you get removed from the network and your rewards disappear. That's just the simple way that I understand it, there's probably some more in depth explanation on what Flux does, but from a provider standpoint that's just the way I think about it.

We were 100% not ready for Flux. We were getting orders constantly and we didn't understand why, until 1-2 weeks later people started complaining that our servers were not achieving the minimum Flux requirements (specifically disk speeds). After some discovery, we found out about Flux Nodes and found the Google Doc that recommended us. We believe that because so many people were running benchmarks constantly, it ended up decreasing the overall performance for our host nodes which resulted in other users failing benchmarks. It especially didn't help that I was also on vacation when this new Flux craze started, but I was able to deal with it.

Most people ran the "Cumulus" tier of Flux nodes which require the following:
    2 cores / 4 threads
    8GB of RAM
    220GB Storage (180MB/s min)
    240 EPS CPU requirements
    25 MB/s network speeds

Most of the users that had purchased from us didn't really understand the concept of what a VPS was, and how the resources are shared between others. Some people were accusing us of fraud or not having the "advertised specifications" because they didn't understand that the disk speed was shared between others and therefore it could dip at times. While we do use 100% SATA/NVMe SSD's on all of our nodes, they aren't particularly speedy because we use them in RAID5 and our lineup is tailored towards general value, not disk performance. We actually had people that were demanding us to extend their service for free or refund them weeks after purchasing their server because they weren't passing benchmarks and then threatening to leave negative reviews if we didn't comply.

That being said, we've started renting out/purchasing more nodes with RAID0 NVMe for these Flux users and transferring them to these nodes, so that Flux users don't impact the performance of the normal users that are using our services. We're probably going to continue hosting these Flux users for the time being, but we probably won't put in too much time or money into it, we all know how Chia turned out.

It seems that a popular choice, other than us, ended up being Contabo and Netcup.de. Contabo regularly didn't hit both the CPU and disk requirements for Flux nodes, so a lot of people were having issues on them and support was just saying that Flux nodes were incompatible (which was probably the smart move). Netcup.de was an extremely popular choice because they had general value and their NVMe speeds were generally stable, and so they probably had a ton of Flux users.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2022

So even more cancer than Chia.
    and 'authors' of that suggests VPS servers? Scream scam as hell.

also good fucking luck on getting those kind of speeds on Contabo, lmao.

edited March 2022

@JabJab said:
    So even more cancer than Chia.
    and 'authors' of that suggests VPS servers? Scream scam as hell.

also good fucking luck on getting those kind of speeds on Contabo, lmao.

I believe so, yeah. They recently added a notice saying "We strongly suggest dedicated server vs VPS. VPS might fail benchmarks because of shared resources" onto the Google Doc at least, but they didn't have that notice before at all. They've also recently started recommending SYS/Kimsufi for the Cumulus (most popular) tier of Flux nodes.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KJf9yI7RGl01ZgkWA8qVPQUwChEfe0JK2UGfubnq4Fw/edit#gid=0

I ended up just putting a notice on our site about the whole Flux situation:
    https://clients.advinservers.com/knowledgebase/10/Flux-Node-Information.html

Also, I think it's not as bad as Chia because I don't think Flux ruins disks as badly as Chia did.

Thanked by 1JabJab
  • CabbageCabbage Member
    edited March 2022

Is it actually profitable to get a server from a provider and using it to 'mine' (or whatever they call it) Flux, even if the VPSes never failed to go above that benchmark threshold? This doesn't look that different from buying a server just to mine Bitcoins.

And not that I want it, but why didn't they raise price for root servers? Aren't they much more suited for this kind of jobs?

• @Advin said: I don't think Flux ruins disks as badly as Chia did

To think does not mean to know. You should carefully monitor the disk load. In the end, it will end up with a ban anyway, IMHO. Btw, thanks for detailed info.

edited March 2022

@Cabbage said:
    Is it actually profitable to get a server from a provider and using it to 'mine' (or whatever they call it) Flux, even if the VPSes never failed to go above that benchmark threshold? This doesn't look that different from buying a server just to mine Bitcoins.

And not that I want it, but why didn't they raise price for root servers? Aren't they much more suited for this kind of jobs?

I assume it would be profitable if you went to a general value VPS provider, with a decent number of CPU cores, disk space, and RAM for so cheap (so Advin, Contabo, Netcup). I also think it may be profitable if you were to buy a dedicated server from Hetzner directly, but not many people know how to split up a dedicated server and multi-node support is still a WIP from what I've heard.

I've also noticed that the CPU usage and such are generally not high on these Flux nodes, and BTC mining probably isn't as profitable as Flux.

They did raise the price for root servers, just not as drastically. I don't think they want to outright prevent people from doing Flux nodes but are just trying to make more profit from those who are or just have too much demand that they want orders to slow down. Maybe they have a lot of stock for root servers but not VPS?

@Mastodont said:

@Advin said: I don't think Flux ruins disks as badly as Chia did

To think does not mean to know. You should carefully monitor the disk load. In the end, it will end up with a ban anyway, IMHO. Btw, thanks for detailed info.

I am carefully monitoring the disk load for the new nodes I am deploying specifically for Flux customers to see the effects it has on disk health, and I will report back with the results :)

Thanked by 1pbx
  • pbxpbx Member

@Advin said: Maybe they have a lot of stock for root servers but not VPS?

And as root servers have dedicated resources, maybe these kind of users are less disturbing (less users per node). Anyway when I spoke to them about that they told me that the problem was with hardware purchases, to they might just be trying to slow the arrival of new customers.

• So it's Proof-of-YABS?

• pbxpbx Member

@kuroneko23 said: So it's Proof-of-YABS?

If that's the case, this crapcoin should have been called LETcoin not Flux!

• GhtGht Member

No need to order at Netcup , you have a plenty of others Providers with better prices and specs.

@Ght said:
    No need to order at Netcup , you have a plenty of others Providers with better prices and specs.

Can you list them? Because there aren't many...

Thanked by 2nfn ThinVps
  • @Advin Wow, that's really interesting stuff. The flux stuff looks like free money and a nice get rich quick scheme, assuming the flux doesn't crash like chia did. At least with chia, you didn't have to buy chia, you only had to buy hardware. But with flux, you do have to buy flux and take greater risks.

• sonicsonic Veteran

@Ght said:

Please list them, looking to collect more idle VPS

• @Ght said: plenty of others Providers with better prices and specs

Plenty of them with 8 GB RAM / 160 GB SSD at 6 euro? Links !!

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited March 2022

@Mastodont said:

@Ght said: plenty of others Providers with better prices and specs

I think the hard part was not the 4 threads and 8 GB ram but the 220 GB NVMe. Advinservers could do it for 14 euros because it was raid 5. It's probably difficult to find these exact specifications because usually you get way less disk at 4 threads and 8 GB ram.

• dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom said:
    By the way, in the past, PHP-Friends have sometimes raised their prices (for everyone) on new services in order to reduce demand.

Actually it was only one small period (few weeks), I guess it was in the end of 2019 when it was hard to get the NVMe SSDs we're running. After that, never did it again, however we've been sold out completely several times in our history and probably will be a few times more in the future. We try our best to avoid that :D

Thanked by 2angstrom Zyra
  • they will lower it down after 6 months or year.

• ksekse Member

It looks like currently 30% of all flux nodes are hosted on netcup VPS. So they just got overrun with a ton load of VPS orders.

If netcup, contabo and hetzner would decide to block the flux traffic, they could kill 50% of all flux ressources. That could kill the complete flux network.

Flux itself looks like a big scam to me. Hope they ban this this shit.

• Thank you for your interest. Your price has been doubled.

edited March 2022

@NoComment said:

@Mastodont said:

@Ght said: plenty of others Providers with better prices and specs

I think the hard part was not the 4 threads and 8 GB ram but the 220 GB NVMe. Advinservers could do it for 14 euros because it was raid 5. It's probably difficult to find these exact specifications because usually you get way less disk at 4 threads and 8 GB ram.

Actually, most people were buying the KVM Ryzen 16GB plan from us which has the following specifications:

AMD Ryzen CPU (4 vCores)
    16GB DDR4 ECC Memory
    240GB RAID5 SATA/NVMe SSD
    1 Gbps Shared Network
    Located Worldwide
    $16/month

This plan had double the required memory, but hit both the CPU and SSD requirements. We also sell an 8GB plan, but those do not hit CPU or SSD requirements for Flux so people just bought the 16GB plan instead.

• GhtGht Member

@Advin said:

@Ght said:

Contabo.com , 1Blu.de , webtropia.com , Strato.de

Have a nice day learning

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@Ght said:

@Advin said:

@Ght said:

Have a nice day learning

Contabo "better" than netcup?
    ... Okay then.

• GhtGht Member
    edited March 2022

@AXYZE said:

@Ght said:

@Advin said:

@Ght said:

Have a nice day learning

Contabo "better" than netcup?
    ... Okay then.

Contabo GmbH has been established in spring of 2003.

netcup was founded as a one-man business by Felix Preuss and was merged to netcup GmbH in 2008, where he has been CEO until 2020.

Netcup BALANCE SHEET TOTAL 4M€
    Contabo BALANCE SHEET TOTAL 20M€

Among other things Netcup asks for your address otherwise you do not become a customer. Thats just to old , and we was talking about Prices and ofc there are to many cheaper hosters that are more prem then netcup.

And thats my personal opinion , if you want to respect it thats okay but show us your ego.
    There always have better options ;)

• I like how this discussions just pivoted from hardware, support and overselling shit to "contabo makes more, exists for longer". I assume something like GoDaddy must be godlike for you.

• @neon_orange said:
    Netcup has doubled the VPS Prices for International customers but prices remain the same for German people

News Article: https://www.netcup-news.de/2022/03/23/preisanpassung-der-internationalen-vps-produkte/

International Pricing: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

German Pricing: https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

I mean, its really just unfair, straight up doubling the price.

They have disabled vps vouchers as well. So, there's that as well.

I am not a Netcup customer, so I don't care. But in the EU, it is illegal to price discriminate customers from the EU because of nationality or country of residence.

See the section Price discrimination at https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/pricing-payments/index_en.htm

Thanked by 1TrendyJack
  • @turdski said:

@neon_orange said:
    Netcup has doubled the VPS Prices for International customers but prices remain the same for German people

News Article: https://www.netcup-news.de/2022/03/23/preisanpassung-der-internationalen-vps-produkte/

International Pricing: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

German Pricing: https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

I mean, its really just unfair, straight up doubling the price.

They have disabled vps vouchers as well. So, there's that as well.

I am not a Netcup customer, so I don't care. But in the EU, it is illegal to price discriminate customers from the EU because of nationality or country of residence.

See the section Price discrimination at https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/pricing-payments/index_en.htm

Then look at the many other comments about this and read the article again. It isn't happening what you're describing here.

• @jsg said:
    I think that @Falzo got it quite right and I think the reason behind it might be that international clients need international (= non-german) support. Keep in mind that good support is a major cost factor for a provider.

Technical support in English does not give any extra costs in Western Europe countries, because everyone has learned English in school.