Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Doubled VPS Prices for International customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Doubled VPS Prices for International customers

Netcup has doubled the VPS Prices for International customers but prices remain the same for German people

News Article: https://www.netcup-news.de/2022/03/23/preisanpassung-der-internationalen-vps-produkte/

International Pricing: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

German Pricing: https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

I mean, its really just unfair, straight up doubling the price.

They have disabled vps vouchers as well. So, there's that as well.

Thanked by 3varwww pbx titus

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

People must've spammed them with their order numbers.

Thanked by 2drizbo pbx
  • its good, just serve German market. their contract is not suitable for international anyway.

• @cybertech said:
    its good, just serve German market. their contract is not suitable for international anyway.

I agree that for Netcup it's probably best to focus on the german market and I'm sure it'll work out great for them. They got a big enough base of loyal clients and international expansion may have brought them more trouble than it's worth.

• But I guess you can just order from their .de site, even if you are not from Germany (at least if you are in the EU)

• pbxpbx Member
    edited March 2022

@neon_orange said: disabled vps vouchers

Seems like this is temporary to reduce demand. Not sure if price increase is temporary or not. Nor if it will affect existing contracts at some point in the future.

Might be a trick to limit new orders to avoid being sold out, which will be lifted at some point, they don't necessarily want to focus on the german market on the long run.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I couldn't determine if this was for current customers or not based on the news article. That would really suck for current customers if that's the case.

• Root server is not doubled ? https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/

• ArkasArkas Moderator

They're going to blame it on inflation of energy costs due to the war...

• neon_orangeneon_orange Member
    edited March 2022

@varwww said:
    Root server is not doubled ? https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/

Not as far as the article goes. The root servers costs the same.
    All the servers I have are BF Sale servers.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • FalzoFalzo Member

to be fair, it does not say, that 'international' customers can not order a 'german' product or vice versa. it's simply two different products, even though the specs are the same.

if you click on the order button, you'll see that the product number indeed is different.
    I'd assume it's a bit of a strategy or rather marketing trick to scare off people a bit if they just land on the english page and don't look any closer...

@risharde said:
    I couldn't determine if this was for current customers or not based on the news article. That would really suck for current customers if that's the case.

from the looks of it this only affects new orders and as just described anyway simply depends on which link you follow and what product you order. existing services aren't subject to this topic after all.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2022

Yeah, as @Falzo says, it's not about international customers per se -- it's more about which service you purchase (or rather how you purchase a service): if you purchase a VPS via netcup.eu , you pay more than if you purchase the same VPS (the same specs) via netcup.de .

This has been said a number of times before, but netcup have always been Germany-oriented, and this (perhaps temporary) decision is more about trying to dissuade a group of international customers that may cause netcup more problems and effort than netcup would like to have.

• @Falzo said:
    to be fair, it does not say, that 'international' customers can not order a 'german' product or vice versa. it's simply two different products, even though the specs are the same.

if you click on the order button, you'll see that the product number indeed is different.
    I'd assume it's a bit of a strategy or rather marketing trick to scare off people a bit if they just land on the english page and don't look any closer...

@risharde said:

from the looks of it this only affects new orders and as just described anyway simply depends on which link you follow and what product you order. existing services aren't subject to this topic after all.

I am pretty sure Netcup has very stringent KYC system: they ask for Identity and Address Proof, Selfie and also call on Mobile for verification.

I don't think they will allow non-German people to benefit from German pricing. However, since, EU has very strict equal pricing policy, it may as well be available for all europeans citizens.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@neon_orange said: I don't think they will allow non-German people to benefit from German pricing. However, since, EU has very strict equal pricing policy, it may as well be available for all europeans citizens.

It is very specifically worded about a pricing change of 'international products' and does not saying anything about customers at all. so actually your initial posting is a bit wrong here and rather assuming things, that can't be read out of this announcement alone.

their strict client vetting process does not have to do anything with that and I am pretty certain they won't deny 'german products' to anyone.

if at all, they might stick to giving only german support with those and ask you to purchase an international product, if you need more than that.

Thanked by 2angstrom webcraft
  • @Falzo said:

@neon_orange said: I don't think they will allow non-German people to benefit from German pricing. However, since, EU has very strict equal pricing policy, it may as well be available for all europeans citizens.

It is very specifically worded about a pricing change of 'international products' and does not saying anything about customers at all. so actually your initial posting is a bit wrong here and rather assuming things, that can't be read out of this announcement alone.

their strict client vetting process does not have to do anything with that and I am pretty certain they won't deny 'german products' to anyone.

if at all, they might stick to giving only german support with those and ask you to purchase an international product, if you need more than that.

I just quoted the article though isn't it. If Netcup themselves say "internationalen" in the Heading of the news article who am I judge what they mean. I mean "internationalen" means international isn't it.

@neon_orange said: I don't think they will allow non-German people to benefit from German pricing.

Again, @Falzo notes, this isn't what they say.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I also said about their KYC Policy. I mean isn't it fair to assume that when they say they are increasing the price for International products, they mean international customers. I mean international people will buy international products. I see no ambiquity in the statement. Finding loopholes will only lead to legal trouble.

@angstrom said:

@neon_orange said: I don't think they will allow non-German people to benefit from German pricing.

Again, @Falzo notes, this isn't what they say.

In principle, they could decide to draw a distinction between customers residing in Germany (alternatively, customers residing in the EU) and customers residing outside of Germany (alternatively, customers residing outside of the EU), but this isn't the distinction that they draw in that statement.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @angstrom said: In principle, they could decide to draw a distinction between customers residing in Germany (alternatively, customers residing in the EU) and customers residing outside of Germany (alternatively, customers residing outside of the EU)

I'd say that "REGULATION (EU) 2018/302 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 28 February 2018 on addressing unjustified geo-blocking and other forms of discrimination based on customers' nationality, place of residence or place of establishment within the internal market" is pretty clear that at most they can make a distinction between EU and non-EU customers.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@neon_orange said: I also said about their KYC Policy. I mean isn't it fair to assume that when they say they are increasing the price for International products, they mean international customers. I mean international people will buy international products. I see no ambiquity in the statement

it's your assumption, and you are stretching their product lineup to specific customer bases. which simply isn't what they said there.

of course they might hope for a certain effect with that, as I already wrote... but do note that netcup as a german company belongs to anexia which is an austrian company.

there you already have a problem with a proper distinction when looking at the word 'international' - because obviously from a german perspective austria is 'international' and the other way around.

we'll see if someone comes up as an 'international customer' that gets denied buying a 'german product'.

• pbxpbx Member

I've been in touch with them about that. Pricing for existing servers will not change, and the change is temporary to lower demand as they face supplying issues and don't want to be OOS.

@cmeerw said:

@angstrom said: In principle, they could decide to draw a distinction between customers residing in Germany (alternatively, customers residing in the EU) and customers residing outside of Germany (alternatively, customers residing outside of the EU)

I'd say that "REGULATION (EU) 2018/302 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 28 February 2018 on addressing unjustified geo-blocking and other forms of discrimination based on customers' nationality, place of residence or place of establishment within the internal market" is pretty clear that at most they can make a distinction between EU and non-EU customers.

Indeed. (I suspected this, but I'm not well-versed in EU regulations. :) )

@pbx said:
    I've been in touch with them about that. Pricing for existing servers will not change, and the change is temporary to lower demand as they face supplying issues and don't want to be OOS.

Yeah, I don't think that this change is so dramatic.

What seems to have happened is that word got around (in the bigger world) about netcup VPSes, and netcup were suddenly inundated with orders (from the bigger world), so much so that they risked running out of stock of VPSes.

By the way, in the past, PHP-Friends have sometimes raised their prices (for everyone) on new services in order to reduce demand.

• Can anybody shed light on this "Flux Network hype" they refer to in their announcement? I'm not familiar with this.

Do they believe people are buying their servers and the reselling the resources?

• pbxpbx Member

@aj_potc I think that it means that some folks "spread the word" about them in forums, social networks and stuff like that and that it brings more new orders that they can handle, because they are facing difficulties getting some hardware components.

• @pbx said:
    @aj_potc I think that it means that some folks "spread the word" about them in forums, social networks and stuff like that and that it brings more new orders that they can handle, because they are facing difficulties getting some hardware components.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure if they were referencing a particular technology to explain the growth of international orders.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2022

I would assume Flux Network is the new Chia network.

https://runonflux.io/flux-nodes.html
    https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/fluxnodes

also if you click FluxNode Renting Options you will end with link to Google Docs with recommended (?) providers and there is OVH, Hetzner, netcup and @Advin servers. I hope those last guys are ready for the hit :P

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited March 2022

@aj_potc said:

@pbx said:

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure if they were referencing a particular technology to explain the growth of international orders.

It isn't a software/programm or such. It could mean people promote their products (without being hired by netcup) which causes order hikes. It can also mean people order netcup's services for the sake of letting it go out of stock and then resell it at a higher price until netcup restocks.

• The pricing for Netcup DE and EU is the same on a monthly basis. The only difference is they’ve removed the 12 month option from the EU site as far as I can see. Not surprised as many people continually moan and don’t understand the terms about cancellation, etc despite ticking the confirmation box.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I think that @Falzo got it quite right and I think the reason behind it might be that international clients need international (= non-german) support. Keep in mind that good support is a major cost factor for a provider.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @LeonDynamic said: they’ve removed the 12 month option from the EU site

I can see it.
    https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2596