Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider with good IP reputation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider with good IP reputation?

jeffsheadjeffshead Member
edited February 2022 in Providers

I have only one, single complaint about my Virmach and Racknerd VPS's. I have half a dozen with 1-3 vCPU, 15-60GB SSD, 1-4 GB RAM and 1-4 TB bandwidth. Prices range from $11 to $40 per year and all perform beautifully.

Great prices and service BUT... All are ColoCrossing IP's and more and more organizations are blocking those IP's even though none of my IP's are on any of the popular blocklists.

Are there any VPS providers, maybe slightly more expensive, which have better IP reputations that are not being blocked and that are not triggering captcha's if the VPS is being used as a proxy? Virmach's IP's trigger captcha on their own client login page!

Thanked by 1keep

Comments

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited February 2022

yes, virmach in Tokyo, or wherever they have gotten new IPs for.

Thanked by 1keep
  • @jeffshead said:
    Are there any VPS providers, in the same price range, which have better IP reputations that are not being blocked and that are not triggering captcha's if the VPS is being used as a proxy? Virmach's IP's trigger captcha on their own client login page!

Speaking of captcha, even my home ip is triggering the virmach's captcha, so I thought VPS IP shouldn't matter that much IMHO.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

In general, everything cheap, attracts these kind of people.
    Can be seen on OVH, Virmach, Racknerd.....

More costly, but does not mean they need to be expensive, does not seem to have the issues, I wonder why.

Thanked by 1hvedar13
  • @cybertech said:
    yes, virmach in Tokyo, or wherever they have gotten new IPs for.

Offtopic, but did they open Tokyo?

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited February 2022

@sanvit said: Offtopic, but did they open Tokyo?

soon(TM) VirMach
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3375230/#Comment_3375230

also I think VirMach panel triggers captcha all the time - no matter how "clean" IP is - that is theirs anti-bot thing for BlackFriday that I guess they kinda forgot to turn down to lower level?

• @Neoon said:
    More costly, but does not mean they need to be expensive, does not seem to have the issues, I wonder why.

So which providers should I look to?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jeffshead said:

@Neoon said:

So which providers should I look to?

Just don't take the Bus.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Try a service from @DataIdeas-Josh

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

We recently got fresh IPs from apnic, clean & maintain them so.
    You can take a trial order, we have 48-hour money-back policy.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

+1 for @WebHorizon, the IPs are clean.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • sthostingsthosting Member, Patron Provider

We also got own clean IPs directly from RIPE :) - Just test it :)

• Racknerd LA isn't Colocrossing, so maybe request a move? 3 of my 4 services there were blacklisted by 1-2 places each for things that happened years ago, so they were simple to get delisted. All my IPs are clean now.

• jeffsheadjeffshead Member
    edited February 2022

@Logano said:
    Racknerd LA isn't Colocrossing, so maybe request a move? 3 of my 4 services there were blacklisted by 1-2 places each for things that happened years ago, so they were simple to get delisted. All my IPs are clean now.

Same here. My IP's are also clean, now, but they all happen to be in the large IP blocks that organizations tend to either blacklist or trigger captcha's for.

Nexus Bytes looks interesting although they make it clear that the CPU is shared and that they send alerts. First time I've seen that. Anyone have experience with them?

• @jeffshead said:
    Nexus Bytes looks interesting although they make it clear that the CPU is shared and that they send alerts. First time I've seen that. Anyone have experience with them?

Only becomes an issue if you're really eating the whole CPU - say, mining, 24/7 video transcoding, anything that comes to mind. You can use 100% CPU for a while and it's fine though, just don't be the bad neighbour.
    RackNerd's VPSes are also with a shared CPU iirc, they're just more lenient with the restrictions.

• @JeDaYoshi said:

@jeffshead said:

Only becomes an issue if you're really eating the whole CPU - say, mining, 24/7 video transcoding, anything that comes to mind. You can use 100% CPU for a while and it's fine though, just don't be the bad neighbour.
    RackNerd's VPSes are also with a shared CPU iirc, they're just more lenient with the restrictions.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to here. I don't think it will be an issue for me.

• @WebHorizon said:
    We recently got fresh IPs from apnic, clean & maintain them so.
    You can take a trial order, we have 48-hour money-back policy.

Is it the one begin with 103.xx.xx.xx?

Mine is on Spamhauz Zen blacklist already.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited February 2022

if I'm not wrong RackNerd has vps offering in Los Angeles DC 2 with Multacom IP.
    @dustinc

• Hey there!
    Nowadays, the vast majority of IP addresses have blacklisting concerns in some capacity... and as a result, only RBLs (real-time blacklists) are becoming more prevalent. Furthermore, because they block and clean on demand, it increases your chances of cleaning your IPs; nevertheless, you will still need to check for problems with new IP addresses and have them cleaned.
    Other options include routing your email via a virtual private server (VPS) to a third-party email provider such as Gsuite, MailChimp, Amazon S3, or Mailgrid.
    Thank You...

Thanked by 1rogertheshrubb3r
  • @myresellerhome said:
    Hey there!
    Nowadays, the vast majority of IP addresses have blacklisting concerns...

Thanks for the response but the issue I am referring to is not about individual IP's. The problem is that more and more organizations are blocking or flagging large blocks of IP's and my IP's happen to be in those blocks.

I'm guessing the only way around this is to use a lesser known provider that has directly allocated IP's that are not a subset of ColoCrossing or the like.

• plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited February 2022

NooB q: where can I check IP reputation?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@JasonM said: if I'm not wrong RackNerd has vps offering in Los Angeles DC 2 with Multacom IP.

Multacom is the opposite of a clean network.

@jeffshead said: Are there any VPS providers, maybe slightly more expensive, which have better IP reputations that are not being blocked and that are not triggering captcha's if the VPS is being used as a proxy?

Not only IP reputation is considered when triggering a challenge: user agent, capabilities and levels of traffic are important too.

Only if your network has low levels of web traffic and abuse can you avoid triggering the captchas. Also, hosting networks are flagged more often in WAFs, compared to residential networks.

We could give you suggestions on how to approach the problem, but it would depend on what you are trying to accomplish: offering a public VPN is not the same as scrapping, for example.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Nyr said:
    Not only IP reputation is considered when triggering a challenge: user agent, capabilities and levels of traffic are important too.

Only if your network has low levels of web traffic and abuse can you avoid triggering the captchas. Also, hosting networks are flagged more often in WAFs, compared to residential networks.

Thanks! My traffic is no different than that of the average, heavy Internet user. Internet browsing, researching, streaming etc. I do NOT send large amounts of emails, zero spam, zero automation, zero scrapping, zero scanning and absolutely nothing nefarious. I'm just looking for a value VPS to use mainly as a private web proxy/VPN for privacy (for myself) and for light testing and for monitoring of my self-hosted servers.

• I have a VPS at boomer.host @ezeth with good IP reputation.

@jeffshead said:

@Nyr said:

Thanks! My traffic is no different than that of the average, heavy Internet user. Internet browsing, researching, streaming etc. I do NOT send large amounts of emails, zero spam, zero automation, zero scrapping, zero scanning and absolutely nothing nefarious. I'm just looking for a value VPS to use mainly as a private web proxy/VPN for privacy (for myself) and for light testing and for monitoring of my self-hosted servers.

Ok, so this is for a personal VPN then.

What region do you want for the server to be hosted in? Let me know and I can give specific suggestions.

• @Nyr said:
    What region do you want for the server to be hosted in? Let me know and I can give specific suggestions.

Eastcoast, US. If I had options, I'd say Ashburn first choice, NY second choice.

@jeffshead said: Eastcoast, US. If I had options, I'd say Ashburn first choice, NY second choice.

Secure Dragon and RamNode should be solid choices.

Thanked by 1jeffshead
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2022

@plumberg said:
    NooB q: where can I check IP reputation?

That's the beauty of it. You can't. Yeah you can check a few blacklists but their relevance to your actual use case will mostly be questionable. Most of the relevant IP reputation data isn't searchable, isn't knowable, and isn't in any way public these days. For all people like to think their blacklist checkers matter, very few of those people can say "It matters because Provider A uses Blacklist B to reject traffic for Service C." They're really just guessing almost all of the time.

But if you're going to use one, Debouncer is king.

edited February 2022

To expand on @jar response:

IP reputation is increasingly in private hands (for example big mail, captcha or WAF providers do not have public lists). Also, they do not only use "a list", but more complex scoring.

So suggestions on which network is "clean" imply a lot of guesswork, know-how and a general understanding of what kind of customers one provider has. Even then, it is just a guess until you try, and not something you can rely on to stay static over time.

For example, a cloud provider with big pools of randomly assigned IP addresses will often be "dirtier". Same applies for those hosting VPN companies, services on newly rented IP space, companies targeting GFW-breakers, etc...

So based on that, we can guess which companies with low customer churn rate, owned ASN + IP space, and relatively strict abuse policies can be a good choice.

But after all, that's it: just a guess.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Fudge!!! Time for a new VPS.

SecureDragon was good for a while but their AS (https://ipinfo.io/AS29802) is now starting to be blocked.

Does anyone know of any cheap and/or reliable VPS providers that use a residential AS or an AS that won't be blocked soon? I do not use any automation, bots or send spam and definitely don't do anything nefarious. I just want a VPS that I can use as a proxy for normal web browsing so I can maintain some level of privacy or at least feel like I am :)