Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need advice! I might of messed my server up. - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need advice! I might of messed my server up.

12346»

Comments

• CyberCr33pCyberCr33p Member
    edited January 2022

@yoursunny said:
    @MagniPhiCat wants to accept file uploads from multiple web servers, where each web server runs the same application and all states are stored in a shared database.
    It is valid to store uploaded files in NFS.
    However, the NFS server is a single point of failure.

It's valid to store uploaded files in NFS, but not good idea to serve these files in multiple concurrent clients through NFS mount. So he will still need to run Nginx in the NFS server. Also what happens if the NFS is up but the Nginx / PHP server can't contact it during a file upload because of network issue? The database will have an entry for a file that doesn't exist.

It's better he gets a VPS to run Nginx / PHP / MariaDB / Mail and use a second VPS with same specs from other provider to duplicate his setup. Then create a script that rsync files / e-mails / sql dump every few hours to second VPS and in the case he has troubles with the primary VPS it would take less than an hour to restore everything in the secondary VPS.

Also before any major system upgrade taking a VPS snapshot is essential.

• @yoursunny said:
    However, I didn't properly verify the result (i.e. I can login with new key).

Yes, this is the incompetent part, not the scripting error.

How I lost Virtualizor

It's Boomer's fault.
    They migrated Virtualizor and I don't know the password.

sigh you're doing it wrong.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I'm curious whether OP is on salary or hourly. Surely, just this thread alone would have long blown through $80 in labour, let alone the actual work that needs to be done.

@MagniPhiCat

Are you just eating all these hours researching and doing stuff you're not experienced with or are you billing per hour and billing way higher than $80/mo?

Thanked by 1tomazu
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

I know, I know.

How I lost Virtualizor

It's Boomer's fault.

I know the initial password.
    I know the password before the migration.
    I don't know the password after migration.
    Neither password that I know works.
    Password reset form does not send email to me.
    What am I doing wrong, other than accepting a free server from a bad provider?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Well I think the op is gone but updated the title to reflect. Nexusbytes had nothing to do with the op messing up the server.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint jsg
  • @PieHasBeenEaten do you mind checking if srch07 and MagniPhiCat are alts?

• @PieHasBeenEaten said: .. updated the title to reflect.

The word is advice. :p

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • I'd also like to add, the op admitted from the outset they messed up. It has never been about might have made a mistake or advice on the mistake itself. So the new title is also inaccurate

They came here seeking resources on VLAN creation, shared storage options, and separating out their server into separate servers.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2022

@KermEd said:
    I'd also like to add, the op admitted from the outset they messed up. It has never been about might have made a mistake or advice on the mistake itself. So the new title is also inaccurate

Indeed, the title should be: "I need advice! I messed something up"

Alternatively (and a bit more specifically): "I need advice! I messed up my server"

• Also, should be "might have" - couldn't see the wood for the trees.

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

I know, I know.

How I lost Virtualizor

It's Boomer's fault.

Hassle the bad provider and make him give you a new password. They're on LET, no? As a user of a free service, it's your duty to report their fuckups and have them fix it and be better. That's the deal, your QA for free service.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

Hassle the bad provider and make him give you a new password. They're on LET, no? As a user of a free service, it's your duty to report their fuckups and have them fix it and be better. That's the deal, your QA for free service.

That's not how LET works...

We don't contact providers - we create posts on here and let the other members on the forum @ the providers guess what we are looking for.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

I know, I know.

How I lost Virtualizor

It's Boomer's fault.

I wrote in their thread and I'm told to use the reset password form, which does not work.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3371383/#Comment_3371383
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3371621/#Comment_3371621

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

This... this is what I fear and exactly why I run to docker whenever possible.