Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need advice! I might of messed my server up. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need advice! I might of messed my server up.

Comments

• @paijrut said:
    With this low level of planning and lack of comprehension, imagine what would happen when the storage server fail or there is a network failure on the vpn server.
    With that budget you should just keep it simple for now

I understand.

The same thing would happen than with a big server, except that for the big server it would make things only worse, because so many services would be down instead of just one.

Again: I don't decide!!

• cheap, fast, or good.

pick two.

• @MagniPhiCat said:

@paijrut said:
    With this low level of planning and lack of comprehension, imagine what would happen when the storage server fail or there is a network failure on the vpn server.
    With that budget you should just keep it simple for now

I understand.

The same thing would happen than with a big server, except that for the big server it would make things only worse, because so many services would be down instead of just one.

Again: I don't decide!!

And that is why i suggested that you setup a proper backup server for failover on my previous post

• grepgrep Member
    edited January 2022

@MagniPhiCat said:

@grep said:
    This guy is complaining about @seriesn inactivity, when he is being inactive regarding his client and cries when @Falzo basically said "get off your ass and do something". Crazy.

"This guy" does not like being talked down to like that.

What do you know about my client, what I do for them, and what they tell me regarding the situation and what they are asking me?

Basically nothing. So please.... You know the rest of the sentence.

There is a saying in French that goes roughly like this:
    "Sometimes it's better to just shut up and risk passing for a fool, than opening one's mouth and not leaving any doubt about that"

It's also better to not act like a pussy when people say words you don't like when everyone has lectured you about the same exact point Falzo brought up.

I'd think up a saying to reiterate things that I meant in another language like it means something, but I think you're good enough at scapegoating for the both of us.

• @MagniPhiCat said:

@deltatux said:
    Being a sys admin is a full time job, if your client can't afford a sysadmin, they should be offloading them into the cloud. For example, email hosting can be had for very cheap via services like MXRoute, Hostinger or Zoho Mail. They should also look into PaaS solutions so that you can focus on being a developer while letting others handle the infrastructure.

They don't have that kind of money. I have been managing and setting up everything for them for like 5-6 years now. But yeah, this is not my cup of tea, really.

The fact that it isn't your cup of tea is exactly why your client needs to offload the infrastructure stuff off of you so that you can focus on your actual strengths without being distracted by stuff that you shouldn't be handling in the first place, especially since service stability is so important. They'll be paying one way or another, either through spending the right amount of money or deal with stability issues but I digress.

Oracle Cloud provides an Always Free Tier and their ARM-based instances are great value, you can spin up to 4 ARM-based VMs with up to 24 GB of RAM for free, for many web apps, they are architecture-agnostic, so running on ARM CPUs shouldn't really matter. I personally pair my very cheap VPS with Oracle Cloud's Always Free tier to cover all my project needs so far.

I discovered it a few days ago, actually. It is (extremely) impressive! But some people are saying they wouldn't host anything serious/critical on it (don't know why though). Also, not sure about bandwidth...

Maybe it would help with backup servers or something...

I am using it (personally) for my side projects. CPU is limited, but RAM is awesome!

Not sure, could be because it's Oracle, I know some people wouldn't touch Oracle with a 100m pole.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Hxxx said:
    @MagniPhiCat
    One server, LEMP or LAMP, with a CDN provider in front, like CloudFlare free or paid, ... done... I really don't get why you want to have different servers because of regions, that's why CDN providers exist.

Do CDN emulate web servers, with file uploads, form subits, APIs, and the likes?

Again: I don't WANT anything, I do what I am told!

Mailing server, fuck that, pay an email service. Want to send transactional emails to your customers, pay Amazon SES , Mailgun or Mandrill (from mailchimp).

Google for Business is too expensive (same for the others).
    MXroute and NexusBytes mail service are too limited for my client.
    Zoho has not good enough deliverability.

Want to send email campaigns? Use mailchimp (free or paid).

My client is already doing this for campaigns.

Please, stop arguing against me... I do what I am told, and that's it.
    I can understand that you see things differently.
    But my client is the one calling the shots...

• @paijrut said:
    Put the cdn in front of the web server and that geo routing something will be done by the cdn providers..

I don't understand how that is even remotely possible.

Your top priority right now is to move your files from that broken by you server as soon as possible

I already did. But as long as I don't have a suitable alternative, I cannot touch this server.

• deltatuxdeltatux Member
    edited January 2022

@MagniPhiCat said:

@Hxxx said:
    @MagniPhiCat
    One server, LEMP or LAMP, with a CDN provider in front, like CloudFlare free or paid, ... done... I really don't get why you want to have different servers because of regions, that's why CDN providers exist.

CDNs = content delivery networks, they basically duplicate your content across their networks so that the content can be easily and quickly accessed by users in different geographical regions. It helps both speed things up for your users and also spread the load for your source server.

Pretty much most of the services that you rely on the Internet is backed by a CDN network if they have a global reach.

Cloudflare is a leader in this space, see their page on their CDN product here: https://www.cloudflare.com/cdn/

Cloudflare has a basic free tier that you guys can try out.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2022

@MagniPhiCat said:
    Out of the 23 providers that I already analyzed a bit (yes, I did a bit of research beforehand, although it will never be exhaustive), only 7 (unless I am mistaken) seem to offer dedicated resources (I like the acronym VDS, but it does not seem widespread):

• netcup: not well rated at all (on HostAdvice and TrustPilot), but excellent prices (dedicated resources only for 2nd tier servers) (only EU) (although I did read some high praise here I think)
    • kernelhost: well rated, prices above netcup but still affordable (maybe too much ram though... would be good for greedy mailcow however) (only EU)
    • inmotion: extremely expensive, but rather well rated (only US)
    • hostinger: more expensive than netcup but still affordable, very well reviewed (EU + US + Asia)
    • bluevps: too expensive for my client's budget, averagely rated (EU + US + Asia)
    • ovhcloud: only their 2nd tier has dedicated resources, same prices as bluevps, very badly reviewed (worldwide too)
    • ionos (1&1): prices above netcup but still affordable, poorly rated (EU + US) (but I don't like 1&1, sorry, mainly the UI and "feel"... I hope nobody reading this is working there ??)

Wrong start. First make an analysis of what you actually need. What is to run where (e.g. web servers in e.g. NA, EU, and far east)? What's needed for them in terms of processing power, memory, disk (plus NVMe, SSD or HDD), and connectivity? Etc ...

Then pick a strategy (like my 'a' and 'b'), and only then look for VPS/VDS candidates/offers that match your needs.

Any other ideas? (even NexusBytes if "fair share" for CPU)
    Do you think I'm too picky?

Yes. And too superficial because a fair share (33%) Ryzen 5xxx will easily outperform a dedicated ("VDS") system based on Xeon 26xxv2. Also, again: how much performance does which service need anyway.
    Btw. "5000 users" can mean a lot, so to clarify: how many users on average and max. at any given point in time?

Do you have a link for this service [MXroute]? All I know is that Google for Business (5$ / user / month) is too expensive for my client (roughly 10 users, it would eat most of the whole budget...)

@jar? (He's the one running MXroute)
    I'm confident that you won't have to pay $5 per user/month.

• if possible: guaranteed/dedicated CPU

Highly likely not.

Yes, only 7 providers seem to meet this criteria (again, if I'm not mistaken).
    Do you think I could do well without dedicated resources? If so, which provider? (I did read that Contabo was supposedly overselling a lot, which caused latencies and things like that)

Pretty much every VPS provider is overselling to some degree. Hell, VPS is just another word for (halfway organized) overselling - but, and that's an important but: most people actually need just a fraction of they think they need.

And again: You are starting from the wrong end. You first need to define what you really need and to at least some detail. Looking for "who can provide that?" is tha last step, not the first one!

Followup question: we need the different servers (worldwide) to share the same storage space/disk/server (I don't know which term applies). I am having a (very!!) hard time finding information on this kind of setup. How should we proceed so that all webservers share a "network-drive" (or something, instead of just a local path on the local drive) to save user-uploaded-files on it? (without needing each webserver to have 500GB of storage and to rsync everything both ways between all webservers)

No problem but might get a little bit more tricky if it's sensitive data.

Could you please elaborate? Please do as if I didn't know anything about sys admin ??
    Because it would require a private network to be set up? If so, I have indeed no idea how to do it, and even if it will work with different providers.

No, it would require basically some kind of tunnel, think "NFS over SSL". Don't worry that topic is not your problem.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jsg said:
    OK, let's get this out of the way first ...

@MagniPhiCat said:
    ... not well rated at all (on HostAdvice and TrustPilot)

Wrong approach. Those sites are, with rather few exceptions, utterly worthless and even misleading. Let me explain:

It's basically a psycho thing. Very few happy customers go - at all - to spread positive feedback unless expressly asked and even then most won't make the effort. Unhappy customers (as well as refused ones) however love to vote providers down, to criticize them and even to "hunt" them.

I can understand what you're saying, but do not forget that:

• some providers are exceptionally well rated too (with zillions of votes), which means positive rating does exist too
    • I still have to find some way to discriminate providers a bit... this is an indicator like another... not sure how this would be less relevant that some John's advice on a single forum thread? (either a hater or a fanboy)

Plus 50+% (to put it diplomatically) do not even begin to have the needed knowledge and understanding to hand out grades, and, sorry to all democracy lovers, 85+% of all people wouldn't have an easy time trying to win an IQ contest against a plank of wood.

I love your humour! And your signature :) Couldn't agree more!

• @MagniPhiCat said:

@paijrut said:
    Put the cdn in front of the web server and that geo routing something will be done by the cdn providers..

Domain point to->whatever nameserver CF assign to you.
    Then you manage your DNS at CF. There you create an A record pointing to your web server IP (most likely CF will import this from the previous DNS). If you click the Proxy option icon your traffic will be routed through CF. The customers of your client when they visit the website, assets such as images will be downloaded from CF servers that are near your visitor. I can get a little more complex but that's how it essential work.

CF = cloudflare.

That would be all from me, good luck with your situation.

Thanked by 1MagniPhiCat
  • @chocolateshirt said:
    You are funny

Thank you :smiley:

do you think your email setup have better deliverability than zoho & hostinger?

I definitely think so, yes, having experienced it.

Why wouldn't it? I have a dedicated IP address, nobody else sending spam using this IP. I have DKIM SPF DMARC well configured. A score of 10/10 on mail testing services...

You say it is trivial things, yes it is very trivial, most member here suggest you to get simpler way, but you choose to make it complicated... Lol

You seem to not comprehend that I don't have a say in some things.

Can't you just accept the fact I state, respect the wording that lies before you, and reply according to this wording only?

I can appreciate the help that is offered to me freely. And believe me I am grateful. Really.

But when I heard 20 times the same thing and I replied 20 times the same reply, it is beginning to be boring...

• @bruh21 said:
    You don’t need dedicated resources for a webserver. 5k visitors a day is not that much and if the workload is spread out through 8 machines

There will be one web server for each region (and later probably two, behind a load balancer).

During the first steps, there will be 70% of the 5k on one web server (which will need to be a bit bigger than the others). Which is 3.5k, and not 0.6k (5k / 8)

If you want a “real” production provider, try Hetzner cloud or something along those lines. I would avoid hostinger since you have to pay 3 years up front to get anywhere near the advertised prices.

I didn't know that! Good to know, thanks :)

Overall you shouldn’t need that much power for these servers. I’ve run a website with likely similar visitor numbers on an oversold 2 core 4gb OpenVZ from @VPSSLIM with no problem for months on end. I only ever had to contact support like once or twice due to degraded network, but no noticeable downtime ever occurred

This is a nice and fitting experience you are sharing, thank you @bruh21 ! Exactly the kind of experience/input I was looking for, in order to better evaluate the needs for the machines 🤩👍

• @SirFoxy said:
    cheap, fast, or good.

pick two.

Hum, this is a tricky choice ^^

I cannot do without cheap, as per my client's budget. Now between fast and good... I would prefer fast, but it depends on what do you mean by good :)

• @paijrut said:
    And that is why i suggested that you setup a proper backup server for failover on my previous post

This would work, but:

• my client does not want that
    • it wouldn't help for geographically distant servers, that would need to be light anyway
  • @grep said:
    It's also better to not act like a pussy

Could you please stop insulting me, at some point?

• @deltatux said:
    The fact that it isn't your cup of tea is exactly why your client needs to offload the infrastructure stuff off of you so that you can focus on your actual strengths without being distracted by stuff that you shouldn't be handling in the first place, especially since service stability is so important. They'll be paying one way or another, either through spending the right amount of money or deal with stability issues but I digress.

I am not saying they should not... I'd rather they do. They just don't have the money for that. And I owe them.

Not sure, could be because it's Oracle, I know some people wouldn't touch Oracle with a 100m pole.

Yes, it's the vibe I got too, nothing concrete ultimately...

• @deltatux said:
    CDNs = content delivery networks, they basically duplicate your content across their networks

Yeah, static content. Not entire servers of PHP code and databases...

• @jsg said:
    Wrong start. First make an anylysis of what you actually need. What is to run where (e.g. web servers in e.g. NA, EU, and far east)? What's needed for them in terms of processing power, memory, disk (plus NVMe, SSD or HDD), and connectivity? Etc ...

I don't really know what specific hardware I need, and sooner or later I would have to create my matrix file anyway 😅

Then pick a strategy (like my 'a' and 'b'), and only then look for VPS/VDS candidates/offers that match your needs.

Any other ideas? (even NexusBytes if "fair share" for CPU)
    Do you think I'm too picky?

Yes. And too superficial because a fair share (33%) Ryzen 5xxx will easily outperform a dedicated ("VDS") system based on Xeon 26xxv2. Also, again: how much performance does which service need anyway.

This is getting too complicated if I have to look into as much detail... Compare CPUs performance (when/if I have the information), how much of a core I get, and even if this respected by the provider or oversold...

I understand it has some importance, but I'd like to keep it simple as much as possible because otherwise there are just way too many criteria...

Btw. "5000 users" can mean a lot, so to clarify: how many users on average and max. at any given point in time?

It fluctuates between 1.5k (lowest minimum) and 5k (highest) depending on the day of week and hour of day

@jar? (He's the one running MXroute)
    I'm confident that you won't have to pay $5 per user/month.

Someone already shared this link with me. It is like NexusBytes mailer.
    Unfortunately, I already discussed it with my client, and they told me that 300 messages per hour was too short for them.

Pretty much every VPS provider is overselling to some degree. Hell, VPS is just another word for (halfway organized) overselling - but, and that's an important but: most people actually need just a fraction of they think they need.

I still don't know what it does represent, though :)

And again: You are starting from the wrong end. You first need to define what you really need and to at least some detail. Looking for "who can provide that?" is tha last step, not the first one!

I would still have to do it anyway, nope? And I couldn't stay idle.

No, it would require basically some kind of tunnel, think "NFS over SSL". Don't worry that topic is not your problem.

How would I implement it later then? I have to find a way to make this work. Maybe not now, yes. But soon!

• This guy, really beyond help..

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@MagniPhiCat said:

• There are basically 2 routes, (a) all eggs in one basket, i.e. a provider with presence all over the world, or (b) spreading the eggs over multiple baskets. (a) has the main advantages of, well, only one provider to deal with plus a better starting point wrt your ""private global network" idea, (b) has the advantage of highly likely being cheaper but the disadvantage(?) of having to deal with multiple providers and potentially different panels. I myself would pick (b) but I have quite some experience.

I would pick B too if need be, but I don't know if the NFS + private network thing would work with different providers.

Don't worry, this won't keep you sleepless.

Although there are some providers that are worldwide and meet the criteria, e.g. hostinger! what do you think of it?

I personally would use 3 providers, 1 for each region, although I'd highly likely choose a us-american or european provider for the Asia location, simply due to pragmatic factors like cultural differences, time zones, etc.

(why so much quotation marks around "private global network"? ?? Please use the proper terms, so that I could learn them and adapt my vocabulary! :) )

Because that' a rather loose and superficial "group" term behind which there are quite many and diverse actual technologies and even paradigms.

Step 1 (asap): USA only (70% of global traffic is in eastern USA)

To be fair, you'll likely get more valuable advice on those from Americans. I'm a rather Europe centric person (although I benchmarked quite a few asian providers/VPS). But ask experienced LET users, not trustpilot and suchlike.

• one mail server (maybe with 6-8GB ram because of greedy mailcow)

Frankly, get rid of that trouble and have it handled by someone who does it professionally since years. AFAIC there is not even a question, simply wait for @jar's response and be done (it might take a day or two though as he seems to be ill currently).

• one database master server (mariadb ; database is 2GB without log/event tables) (I already have a slave, that I will have to reconfigure obviously)

That's a baby database. No worries. Just put it on a VPS with plenty of memory and a decent NVMe. As it's highly likely also the back end of your web server I'd put both of them on one decent VDS (or very good VPS). Something like 4 vCores, 8 or 16 GB memory and 50ish GB (decent!) NVMe should be a good starting point.

• one web server (at first) (only nginx+php+redis)

(see above)

• one NFS (if not too complicated to do it in step 1) (200GB of files as of today)

Pretty much any decent 2 vCore VPS with SSD (or NVMe if you get it at a good price) should do fine. Preferably Epyc or Ryzen though due to significantly higher crypto performance.

Step 2 (in a few weeks): EU + Asia

Basically repeat and rinse the above - with a but: Does your web stuff need synchronization? If yes then the whole job gets trickier.

• (CloudFlare?) as a DNS with geo-routing
    • (CloudFlare?) as a CDN for accessing (i.e. retrieving using HTTP) media from the NFS

My advice: stay away from CDNs unless you really really need it.

Step 3 (tbd): USA++ (could happen before step 2 if necessary)

See above ("EU + Asia")

• a load-balancer in front of both web-servers

Depends on you needing synchronized web servers or not ...

• maybe adding a database slave in each geo region for read queries

Don't get me wrong but your approach sounds as if you read too many "how real pros do it" articles ...
    What are we talking about in terms of requests per second and avg. and max connected users? 10? 50? 500? 5000? Or what? Keep in mind that all those "nice" "add a load balancer here and a redis there" ideas add complexity and for someone with your knowledge level (sysadmin) complexity is the enemy.

• Your budget is good enough for 8 servers/locations.

Thanks! It's the first time someone is telling me this... I am resilient, but I was still beginning to despair...

Oh I have quite a bit of experience in pulling people out of the clouds back down to earth g

Uploaded files will be centralized (just like they are today, actually... but then a CDN will allow for better latency).

Oh, why not adding in anycast plus a distributed file system plus some flying frogs, too?
    KEEP IT SIMPLE. And always ask "what for? Do we really need that and what will it bring to the table?"

As for website visitors, the objective is to leverage geo-routing at the DNS level to route them to the closest server.

And unicorns, you definitely need to add rainbow unicorns too to your 5k users site.

I suggest to think about the following: It seems very likely that only a part of your stuff really needs powerful VDS while the bigger part can run perfectly well on smaller (== cheaper) VPS.

Which one, for example?

DB and WWW VDS, file server smallish VPS with sufficient SSD storage (or NVMe if you want to go to town), other stuff smallish VPS too, and mail stuff outsourced to MXroute.

I reckon a webserver (nginx/php/redis) could do well with 2 cores and 2 GB, but I am not a specialist and could completely be mistaken. Also, it depends on the CPU speed, whether it's guaranteed/dedicated or not, the load, etc. Difficult for me to evaluate. But I reckon that having multiple small web servers is more agile than having a single one that is either too small or too big.

See above

I also reckoned that the web server in the US would need more horsepower than the one in the EU, because the US have 70% of traffic, hence more load. EU + Asia share 30%.

Connectivity will be a key factor too and from what I saw and heard that varies wildly over there across the ocean.

I asked you a few questions myself. I would be happy to read your response, if you have enough time!

I think and hope I did.

Thanked by 1MagniPhiCat
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I’ll be honest.

I have skim read the last 4 pages.

From my point.

1. Why have multiple servers for different countries? Is routing that bad?
    2. If your struggling to manage 1 server, multiple ones will be much harder.
    3. Maybe look at providers that offer snapshot backups like DO, Hetzner, so you can snapshot before making changes.

Reading the replies to me it seems your client is dictating the budget, which is fine, but they can’t expect to have all the bells and whistles. The amount of time you are spending ‘fixing issues’ really doesn’t warrant their monthly spend.

If I were you I would say they don’t have the budget and they need to re evaluate what they want to achieve for the money they have.

Ideally offloading services like mail to mxroute, Microsoft, google apps is a good start. If they don’t have the budget for that, but expect a multi geo server setup with support is crazy. Honestly a sys admin time would cost a lot to do all that.

As i saw someone else mention. Setup a new server and then look some more, that’s what I’d recommend. Get them up and running and spend some months Looking at what they have, what they want to achieve and the realistic budget to do it.

Don’t sell yourself short. You can’t do everything. You need to advise the client and not just take demands.

• when you cant manage simple think with one server and break it, why you choose more complicated way?
    I doubt you can do that.

• @MagniPhiCat said:

@deltatux said:
    CDNs = content delivery networks, they basically duplicate your content across their networks

Yeah, static content. Not entire servers of PHP code and databases...

CDNs can do dynamic content as well by optimizing their routing, read more on their website. Sites like Facebook heavily utilizes CDNs to deliver content to you, mind you they run their own CDN.

Cloudflare does static & dynamic page caching as well: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/cdn/caching-static-and-dynamic-content/

Dynamic content routing: https://www.cloudflare.com/products/argo-smart-routing/

• @Hxxx said:

@MagniPhiCat said:

@paijrut said:

Domain point to->whatever nameserver CF assign to you.
    Then you manage your **DNS **at CF.

CDN and DNS are two different things. I was just stating that a CDN cannot replicate an entire web server full of PHP scripts and SQL databases.

A DNS can do geo-routing and give visitors the IP from the server that is closest to them.

But a CDN is something else entirely. I just wanted to clear that up with paijrut.

That would be all from me, good luck with your situation.

Thank you again @Hxxx !! 🤩👍

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@chocolateshirt

I already stated something is nigh. He is not PMSing tho. Got lotta in his mind, types a lot, understands little to nothing.

A whack job, really. Should do something else really.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    This guy, really beyond help..

If you say so... Then why even bother coming here and antagonize me with no reason?

Goodbye! :)

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @jsg said:
    I personally would use 3 providers, 1 for each region, although I'd highly likely choose a us-american or european provider for the Asia location, simply due to pragmatic factors like cultural differences, time zones, etc.

I was thinking like this too. Plus, I didn't find a "asia only" provider... My guess is that's because the website would not have been in english.

(why so much quotation marks around "private global network"? ?? Please use the proper terms, so that I could learn them and adapt my vocabulary! :) )

Because that' a rather loose and superficial "group" term behind which there are quite many and diverse actual technologies and even paradigms.

I understand. Would you happen to have a link to a good website of your knowing explaining all these solutions? 🙏 It would allow me to learn many things and better know what I am talking about and doing.

Step 1 (asap): USA only (70% of global traffic is in eastern USA)

To be fair, you'll likely get more valuable advice on those from Americans. I'm a rather Europe centric person (although I benchmarked quite a few asian providers/VPS). But ask experienced LET users

That's what I did in my original post... 😭

If you're Europe centric, what do you think of netcup? It is just perfect (dedicated resources, very low prices), except for the scores on the websites that you don't want to hear about :) kernelhost seems a bit more expensive, but perfect too!

Did you say that hostinger was bad? They also have datacenters in Europe.

Frankly, get rid of that [email] trouble and have it handled by someone who does it professionally since years. AFAIC there is not even a question, simply wait for @jar's response and be done.

My client said that 300 messages per hour is not enough for their need.
    I cannot used MXroute or NexusBytes for that reason.

• one database master server (mariadb ; database is 2GB without log/event tables) (I already have a slave, that I will have to reconfigure obviously)

That's a baby database. No worries. Just put it on a VPS with plenty of memory and a decent NVMe. As it's highly likely also the back end of your web server I'd put both of them on one decent VDS (or very good VPS). Something like 4 vCores, 8 or 16 GB memory and 50ish GB (decent!) NVMe should be a good starting point.

4 dedicated cores and 16GB of RAM for the DB? But... Today I'm not even using 3.5GB for the whole server (that includes the mariadb database, redis, the mail server, and the web server). At least that's what htop is telling me. clamd (for checking uploaded files) being the most RAM hungry process (or so it seems)

• one web server (at first) (only nginx+php+redis)

(see above)

Also 16GB memory for a single nginx instance? Please see my answer above.
    It really seems waaaayyy oversized to me... 🤔

• one NFS (if not too complicated to do it in step 1) (200GB of files as of today)

Pretty much any decent 2 vCore VPS with SSD (or NVMe if you get it at a good price) should do fine. Preferably Epyc or Ryzen though due to significantly higher crypto performance.

Ok thank you for the advice! :)

Step 2 (in a few weeks): EU + Asia

Basically repeat and rinse the above - with a but: Does your web stuff need synchronization? If yes then the whole job gets trickier.

What do you mean synchronization? Related to what?

• (CloudFlare?) as a DNS with geo-routing
    • (CloudFlare?) as a CDN for accessing (i.e. retrieving using HTTP) media from the NFS

My advice: stay away from CDNs unless you really really need it.

Why? They offer a great boost of speed for far away visitors, no?

• maybe adding a database slave in each geo region for read queries

Don't get me wrong but your approach sounds as if you read too many "how real pros do it" articles ...

That's the problem... I didn't. It's just things I heard here and there. It is wrong to get the database closer, for faster read queries?

What are we talking about in terms of requests per second and avg. and max connected users? 10? 50? 500? 5000? Or what? Keep in mind that all those "nice" "add a load balancer here and a redis there" ideas add complexity and for someone with your knowledge level (sysadmin) complexity is the enemy.

I don't have all the numbers right here... I'll check this when I can, and tell you :)
    In general, I try to put as much cache as possible. But there are still like a dozen very small queries per page that I cannot easily remove.

Oh I have quite a bit of experience in pulling people out of the clouds back down to earth g

You don't share the same ideas as other people (here and elsewhere)

Uploaded files will be centralized (just like they are today, actually... but then a CDN will allow for better latency).

Oh, why not adding in anycast plus a distributed file system plus some flying frogs, too?
    KEEP IT SIMPLE. And always ask "what for? Do we really need that and what will it bring to the table?"

Haha ^^
    It will bring (much) faster load times of media (static) files for people who are far away from the NFS server (roughly 30% of users)

As for website visitors, the objective is to leverage geo-routing at the DNS level to route them to the closest server.

And unicorns, you definitely need to add rainbow unicorns too to your 5k users site.

My client wants a server in each of the three regions. The only possibility is to use a DNS with geo-routing.

Do you know of an other solution for this?

It seems very likely that only a part of your stuff really needs powerful VDS

Which one, for example?

DB and WWW VDS, file server smallish VPS with sufficient SSD storage

Sorry, I meant "which ones" ==> "VDS provider"

I asked you a few questions myself. I would be happy to read your response, if you have enough time!

I think and hope I did.

Thank you for everything @jsg !

• @JamesF said:
    I’ll be honest. I have skim read the last 4 pages.

Fair enough 😅

1. Why have multiple servers for different countries? Is routing that bad?

What do you mean? My client wants to have the best possible latency for people who are not in the US (where our only server is, right now), which is 30% of our users.

1. If your struggling to manage 1 server, multiple ones will be much harder.

I did one mistake. One. In years. Who never did?

Also, as I said, I don't have a choice 🤷‍♂️ My client does not have money for a managed hosting, and I owe them.

1. Maybe look at providers that offer snapshot backups like DO, Hetzner, so you can snapshot before making changes.

Good idea! I'll consider this when checking providers. It seems like a nice way to do a "system restore point". Thanks :)

Reading the replies to me it seems your client is dictating the budget, which is fine, but they can’t expect to have all the bells and whistles. The amount of time you are spending ‘fixing issues’ really doesn’t warrant their monthly spend.

It's just this one time, really... I don't get why people make so much fuss around it.
    Maybe the client could improve the budget a bit, but they won't be able to double it or something (at least I don't think so) and they don't have the money for a managed server. From what I could see, it's 3 to 4 times the price of an unmanaged server.

If I were you I would say they don’t have the budget and they need to re evaluate what they want to achieve for the money they have.

What do you think they should get for 80$? Given that we are using less than 20% of our current dedicated server capabilities, I don't see why we couldn't have a few modest servers instead of this big one... 🤔

Ideally offloading services like mail to mxroute, Microsoft, google apps is a good start. If they don’t have the budget for that, but expect a multi geo server setup with support is crazy. Honestly a sys admin time would cost a lot to do all that.

That's why they can't hire one, and why I have been doing it all these years.
    It's just this one time that it went wrong, but it's my fault. And it's only once, in like 5 years.

As i saw someone else mention. Setup a new server and then look some more, that’s what I’d recommend. Get them up and running and spend some months Looking at what they have, what they want to achieve and the realistic budget to do it.

Several people seem to think that. In any case, today is my last day to find a VPS provider. If I don't, I'll have to do it that way. i.e. recreate the production environment with the first server I find, to save time.

Don’t sell yourself short. You can’t do everything. You need to advise the client and not just take demands.

Yeah but I owe them. I really want to help them.

Thank you for your kind words @JamesF ! 🙏

• @deank said:
    @chocolateshirt

I already stated something is nigh. He is not PMSing tho. Got lotta in his mind, types a lot, understands little to nothing.

A whack job, really. Should do something else really.

Your intervention really is golden. Keep up the good work!