Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Analytics now illegal in Austria
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Analytics now illegal in Austria

verovero Member, Host Rep

It has started. Finally.

News are all over, well, Google.

Thanked by 2kkrajk mruczek

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

Austria gon get a great firewall like china :lol:

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Vita
  • If you read the arguments presented in the court case, it is clear that Europe wants a walled-off internet, just like China does.

Of course Europeans will sing peans of such a policy; but Chinese people also sing similar peans about Chinese laws, and the difference is much less than you might think.

Ultimately though, the only effect it would end up having is to drive out small and medium sized businesses out of Europe; only the ones with big pockets can even afford to run a business there. And then Europeans wondering why the tech sector is centered mostly around the US.

In other words, the end is nigh.

• @skorupion said: Australia gon get a great firewall like china

*Austria.

Though I like the way you think; quite mature for your age and embarrassingly, much more mature than some older members here on LET.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@stevewatson301 said:

@skorupion said: Australia gon get a great firewall like china

*Austria.

Though I like the way you think; quite mature for your age and embarrassingly, much more mature than some older members here on LET.

fixed

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I still have a website that uses 51.LA 我要啦免费统计 where I can see every IP address and which page they are visiting.
    In fact, the reports are completely public so that anyone who knows where to look can see that information too.

We operate out of the Atlantic Ocean.
    EU law, Austria law, or California law does not apply to us.
    Disputes are to be discussed in Starfleet Headquarters.

• @yoursunny said: Atlantic Ocean

2nd DC?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@stevewatson301 said:
    it is clear that Europe wants a walled-off internet, just like China does.

Europe is about protecting privacy, not about limiting or closing any access. It is absolutely different things. Google and privacy usually has nothing in common.

• @vero said:

@stevewatson301 said:
    it is clear that Europe wants a walled-off internet, just like China does.

Europe is about protecting privacy, not about limiting or closing any access. It is absolutely different things. Google and privacy usually has nothing in common.

Exactly, Google isn't shut down but just one of their business practices discouraged.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited January 2022

@vero said: Google and privacy usually has nothing in common.

The lawsuit came to be because Google stored the data outside of the EU and only because of that and not because of additional violations in data processing. Reasonably, the only way that can be enforced is by limiting data storage to each country, which essentially becomes a China-like system, whether you like it or not.

The road to hell is always paved with good intentions.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I can only drool to dream of petty interplanetary disputes in the space age.

Either way, the end is nigh.

• european union is nigh!
    the earlier the better!

Thanked by 2yoursunny bulbasaur
  • So say we all.

@hyperblast said:
    european union is nigh!
    the earlier the better!

That's quite an extremism.

If you're from US, then remember who supported you in the War of Independence. And where all the classical style things you like so much came from. If you're from Russia, then you would miss BMWs and Vuittons very soon in such case.

Actually all the current history of humanity, all the virtues, have come from Europe. And I like, that Europe is still able to keep the pace. And even to lead.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited January 2022

Didn't take long to become a dick measuring contest.

Also, I assume Indians (both the native American and the South Asian kind) would like to have a word with @vero about "European virtues".

The end is really nigh.

• @vero said:

@hyperblast said:
    european union is nigh!
    the earlier the better!

That's quite an extremism.

If you're from US, then remember who supported you in the War of Independence. And where all the classical style things you like so much came from. If you're from Russia, then you would miss BMWs and Vuittons very soon in such case.

Actually all the current history of humanity, all the virtues, have come from Europe. And I like, that Europe is still able to keep the pace. And even to lead.

what if i am from europe.
    anyway... you have not read correctly and understood even less. i am talking about european union not europe. nothing what i said is extremism.

the predecessor of european union (eg) was brilliant. this construct european union, on the other hand, has become a monster that scares many. the british have already left this construct. others will (hopefully) follow.

@hyperblast said:

anyway... you have not read correctly and understood even less. i am talking about european union not europe. nothing what i said is extremism.

Shouldn't take everything posted on this forum seriously. At least I don't.

the predecessor of european union (eg) was brilliant.

It has only changed the name, it wouldn't have stopped developing. Or do you blame the name for the current state of affairs? Euro? Ability to use same Covid certificate in all member states? GDPR?

this construct european union, on the other hand, has become a monster that scares many. the british have already left this construct. others will (hopefully) follow.

Come on, we have bigger monsters around here. Brits may have made the right decision, but seeing queues at has stations I doubted. They are strong nation, so guess they will survive.

Thread is not about that, actually, I just reminded the facts. US can't handle Google anyway.

• @vero said:

@hyperblast said:

Shouldn't take everything posted on this forum seriously. At least I don't.

as soon as you accuse others of extremism you should take every other word spoken seriously!

• @vero said:

US can't handle Google anyway.

noted

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited January 2022

@stevewatson301 said: Reasonably, the only way that can be enforced is by limiting data storage to each country

Is it enough to store the data at a single place within the EU? Or does it have to store data in every country of the EU?

But I guess it would be easier for the CIA and FBI to access the data if they are stored in the USA.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @chihcherng said:

@stevewatson301 said: Reasonably, the only way that can be enforced is by limiting data storage to each country

Is it enough to store the data at a single place within the EU? Or does it have to store data in every country of the EU?

Within EU, within each country would be radicules. The discussion is about the data transfer from EU to US because of I guess:

@chihcherng said:
    But I guess it would be easier for the CIA and FBI to access the data if they are stored in the USA.

• Google will come up different product name/registration in Austria to bypass this ban.

• Shit will get even messier if more countries exit from EU.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

@vero said:

@hyperblast said:
    european union is nigh!
    the earlier the better!

Seriously? Exactly from which institution you get these information?

No offense, But

When Indus Valley Civilisation doing agricultural revolutions and have knowledge of other things like construction, business etc.. Europeans were killing each others in Jungle...

All your virtues are comes from the looted wealths from India, Africa China etc.

Europeans divided the entire Africa in just a single meeting (Berlin Conference) like its not a Continent but a Cake and their forefathers property..

So thank you but we don't need lectures on virtues.

Thanked by 2chihcherng TheKiller
  • @TimboJones said:
    Shit will get even messier if more countries exit from EU.

You can see it like you do, but you can also see it completely differently.

• @ViridWeb said:

@vero said:

@hyperblast said:
    european union is nigh!
    the earlier the better!

No offense, But

When Indus Valley Civilisation doing agricultural revolutions and have knowledge of other things like construction, business etc.. Europeans were killing each others in Jungle...

All your virtues are comes from the looted wealths from India, Africa China etc.

Europeans divided the entire Africa in just a single meeting (Berlin Conference) like its not a Continent but a Cake and their forefathers property..

you are absolutely right. from today's perspective and with the application of current values, danish, dutch - basically the whole hanseatic league - are guilty to the bone.

however, your statement has nothing to do with europe as such.

what comes next? the demand for compensation in the trillions?

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

@hyperblast said:

@ViridWeb said:

@vero said:

@hyperblast said:
    european union is nigh!
    the earlier the better!

No offense, But

you are absolutely right. from today's perspective and with the application of current values, danish, dutch - basically the whole hanseatic league - are guilty to the bone.

however, your statement has nothing to do with europe as such.

what comes next? the demand for compensation in the trillions?

Well if you count the amount of wealth looted for centuries and Those millions died then I'm sure Europe can't compensate even if they sale the entire Europe 100s of times..

Anyway, as I said, Maybe present days Europeans have nothing to do with those crimes committed in past.. But I'm sure the world don't need any teaching from the peoples who lives in a fools paradise and claim they civilized people all over the world and superior to everyone.

• Anyone tried Plausible? I am from Germany, but I don't think Google Analytics will stay "legal" in the long-term here, too. Not much of a GA user anyway, but can't hurt to try/look for alternatives.
    https://plausible.io/vs-google-analytics

• @ViridWeb said:
    But I'm sure the world don't need any teaching from the peoples who lives in a fools paradise and claim they civilized people all over the world and superior to everyone.

consent

• @Ympker said:
    Anyone tried Plausible? I am from Germany, but I don't think Google Analytics will stay "legal" in the long-term here, too. Not much of a GA user anyway, but can't hurt to try/look for alternatives.

There are self-hosted platforms like Matomo, I would say that is proper alternative to uploading all analytics god knows where to fuel big data machine learning someviralwords algos.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint pbx
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2022

@AXYZE said:

@Ympker said:
    Anyone tried Plausible? I am from Germany, but I don't think Google Analytics will stay "legal" in the long-term here, too. Not much of a GA user anyway, but can't hurt to try/look for alternatives.

There are self-hosted platforms like Matomo, I would say that is proper alternative to uploading all analytics god knows where to fuel big data machine learning someviralwords algos.

Plausible appears to also have a free, self-hosted version (see their GitHub Repo or the link below). Matamo is another valid alternative.

https://plausible.io/self-hosted-web-analytics

Thanked by 3AlwaysSkint AXYZE pbx