Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Analytics now illegal in Austria - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Analytics now illegal in Austria

2»

Comments

• @Ympker said:

@AXYZE said:

@Ympker said:
    Anyone tried Plausible? I am from Germany, but I don't think Google Analytics will stay "legal" in the long-term here, too. Not much of a GA user anyway, but can't hurt to try/look for alternatives.
    https://plausible.io/vs-google-analytics

There are self-hosted platforms like Matomo, I would say that is proper alternative to uploading all analytics god knows where to fuel big data machine learning someviralwords algos.

Plausible appears to also have a free, self-hosted version (see their GitHub Repo or the link below). Matamo is another valid alternative.

https://plausible.io/self-hosted-web-analytics

Oh, I didn't know that. I also looked more into this topic and found this
    https://github.com/milesmcc/shynet
    Interface looks awesome, it works without cookies and tracking script is less than 1kB...

Thanked by 3Ympker pbx frog
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@ViridWeb said: When Indus Valley Civilisation doing agricultural revolutions and have knowledge of other things like construction, business etc.. Europeans were killing each others in Jungle...

You mean you were in the Jungle when the Ancient Greeks 'visited' you?
    Stop being arrogant. The planet is meant for everyone, not just the Indus Valley, or Europeans, or Chinese, or whatever. I can't wait until this stupid planet feels like home to all if its dumb humans (including myself).

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Arkas said:

@ViridWeb said: When Indus Valley Civilisation doing agricultural revolutions and have knowledge of other things like construction, business etc.. Europeans were killing each others in Jungle...

You mean you were in the Jungle when the Ancient Greeks 'visited' you?
    Stop being arrogant. The planet is meant for everyone, not just the Indus Valley, or Europeans, or Chinese, or whatever. I can't wait until this stupid planet feels like home to all if its dumb humans (including myself).

Read history before commenting..
    When alexander try to invade India.. It was emperor Porus who kicked his ass.

Anyway I'm not the one who claimed humanity's all the virtues, have come from Europe..

So I don't know why you think I'm an arrogant person.

Anyway take care and stay safe

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 2022

@ViridWeb said: Read history before commenting..

You are too funny. Alexander the Great never lost a battle. I hope your stupidity doesn't affect your hosting. You really should read REAL history, not changed history. Alexander invaded India, he didn't just 'try'.

• RocksterRockster Member
    edited January 2022

@ViridWeb said:

Porus fought well, but at the end surrendered. In order to keep position of a king he needed to pay tribute to the Alexander.

@Arkas said: Alexander invaded India, he didn't just 'try'.

The Battle of the Hydaspes with Porus resistance delayed Alexander's advancement and then he just didn't live long enough to continue conquest of Asia. So yes in some way Porus stopped him, but far from kicking his ass. Battle was hard, inferior Porus did it great, but at the end Alexander won it.
    Considering your nick (Arkas sound so greekish :)) you may have different view on things but lets say just that I am neutral here and I can give well deserved credit to the both sides in this battle... Just like great Alexander did! ;-)

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Rockster said: Arkas sound so greek

Close, but no cigar

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Alexander, another stupid leader...

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 2022

1 Planet, 1 people, 1 VPS :blush:

• @Arkas said:
    1 Planet, 1 people, 1 VPS :blush:

...and many yabs

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@ViridWeb said: It was emperor Porus who kicked his ass.

So....history seems to disagree with your illusions ;-)

• ArkasArkas Moderator

• does anyone know any self hosted counter like this?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2022

Well, many people would like to leave EU and join the Russian "construct", we will see how the poles and magyars think about it when will happen.
    As for the brits, they were never part of something they didnt lead before, it comes hard for an empire to be equal with someone, let alone poorer people.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • You can use yandex metrics :) . It is not banned.

• verovero Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

Really, why gift your data to US agencies, when you can do it with Russian ones..

It is/was always inconceivable to me how such sensitive data can be shared with any 3rd party. But hell, since so many people have Gmail, using Google Analytics seems like act of innocence.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited January 2022

@AXYZE said: Oh, I didn't know that. I also looked more into this topic and found this
    https://github.com/milesmcc/shynet
    Interface looks awesome, it works without cookies and tracking script is less than 1kB...

This looks very nice!

I've recently learned that CF has a "privacy centric" (as they say...) analytics solution that can work without using them as a DNS/MITM provider: https://www.cloudflare.com/web-analytics/

Of course being the big corporation they are and given how much they know about everyone's activities on the internet, privacy is likely limited. Interesting, though.

• Apparently Austria does whatever it can to prove the world it's not sane country. I don't understand why tho.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

The end is definitely nigh for the European Union.

• @ksx4system said:
    Apparently Austria does whatever it can to prove the world it's not sane country. I don't understand why tho.

So you haven't seen what a German court has decided: Unterlassungsanspruch und Schadensersatz (hier 100 €) wg. Weitergabe von IP-Adresse an Google durch Nutzung von Google Fonts then, translation: Injunctive relief and damages (here 100 €) wg. Passing on of IP address to Google by using Google Fonts

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Eh, isn't that since GDPR exists? You can't give someones IP to a 3rd party without the consent?

• When backward, local protectionism. Strong, requiring other regions to open up their markets
    The world likes this.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

If Google can't profit from mining their user data, they may need to increase their prices over time. Already happening with Google Photos, G Suite and earlier Google Maps.

For tracking I like Umami. Good level of detail and clean interface. Using it for a few smaller sites.

Thanked by 1kheng86
  • @m4nu said: If Google can't profit from mining their user data, they may need to increase their prices over time.

And if users can't get these things "for free" from Google, other companies might be able to compete, increasing choice for users.

Thanked by 2webcraft kheng86
  • @Ympker said:
    Plausible appears to also have a free, self-hosted version (see their GitHub Repo or the link below). Matamo is another valid alternative.

https://plausible.io/self-hosted-web-analytics

I've been using Plausible on docker for the past year and it's been really great. The interface is easy to use and the analytics is very basic (in a good way!). Matomo is great if you need a lot of information about your user, but Plausible is laser focused on keeping things simple and privacy focused.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

Well, didn't want to revive topic myself, but this information is hard to miss, I see :)

Can't wait the time when also cookie policy will be implemented correctly as for now it's still a complete mess. There is a clear requirement to not limit site access without accepting cookies and the requirement to not store any cookies, except functional ones, before receiving user consent. Yet many known companies choose to ignore this.

Thanked by 2webcraft Ympker
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@CyberneticTitan said: I've been using Plausible on docker for the past year and it's been really great. The interface is easy to use and the analytics is very basic (in a good way!).

I've analise both plausible and umami and went with umami because has a better multi-site option.

• The cause is that the US is too dangerous a place to store data.

Why didn't the NSA and CIA apologize for their secret illegal surveillance program? Because of that, the EU-US Privacy shield was abolished.