Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HDD/SSD Slot hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HDD/SSD Slot hosting?

DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
edited January 2022 in General

Ship us your 2.5” or 3.5” SATA disk or drop ship it. It doesn’t matter whether its an HDD or SSD neither does the capacity. When we received your disk, it will be mounted up and attached to your VPS.

We have been thinking about getting into slot hosting but wanting to see if there is any market for it.
We would like to stay at the pricing of $10/month/slot
1Gbps link - with option of 10Gbps link (for additional $)
CPU/RAM specs TBD. but thinking around 1Xeon vCore and 2GB RAM

Would you be interested in it?!

Thanked by 3default SinV jar
Slot hosting
  1. Are you interested in slot hosting?63 votes
    1. yes
      65.08%
    2. yes
      34.92%

Comments

• what kind of slot is thou talking about

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • I am interested, but what do you mean by slot hosting? I can think of a number of things that it could be.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@SirFoxy said:
    what kind of slot is thou talking about

Ah. Yeah good point. Fixed title.

@FAT32 why does the poll disappear?

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited January 2022

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    Ah. Yeah good point. Fixed title.

Doesn't seem to help that much, you should explain exactly what it is.

First page Google results only return 2 providers that have the service so I think it's safe to say it is not that common and not every LET-er would know about it.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    We have been thinking about getting into slot hosting but wanting to see if there is any market for it.
    We would like to stay at the pricing of $10/month/slot
    1Gbps link - with option of 10Gbps link (for additional $)

Would you be interested in it?!

I am not sure if I am following this - what does slot hosting mean?

@jmgcaguicla @plumberg
    "Ship us your 2.5” or 3.5” SATA disk or drop ship it. It doesn’t matter whether its an HDD or SSD neither does the capacity. When we received your disk, it will be mounted up and attached to your VPS." Does that help?

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    "Ship us your 2.5” or 3.5” SATA disk or drop ship it. It doesn’t matter whether its an HDD or SSD neither does the capacity. When we received your disk, it will be mounted up and attached to your VPS." Does that help?

Seems good.

tl;dr: HDD/SSD colo

• afnafn Member

Great idea! I would love to see this service , but I will abstain from voting since I have little (or no) use for storage services in the US. I would definitely love to see it with EU based providers tho

• So it would be $10/month + the cost of the VPS?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I recall a certain host doing slot hosting.

Long story short, it ended in a total disaster.

• Will we get the option to rent to own a hdd or ssd? I don't like shipping stuff, haha.

• catscats Member
    edited January 2022

@Xrmaddness said:
    So it would be $10/month + the cost of the VPS?

I think just $10/m, the vps cost is included? The only cost beyond that may be a setup fee + cost of shipping in/out or something.

@deank said:
    I recall a certain host doing slot hosting.

Long story short, it ended in a total disaster.

Yeah, but I've been talking it through with Josh and the reason he made this post in the first place is to gauge interest before going all in on this idea. It'd need some solid interest, terms, and management but it'd work.

Things like terms that say that the client is required to provide shipping costs (in and out), data ideas is not responsible for your drive if data loss occurs as a result of failure, forfeit drives (after a certain amount of months) would become property of them (obviously something that'd require legal knowledge to look into) and all that fun stuff. But he could do it cheaply enough because of the fact he goes to the DC himself. His market is the niche stuff (see rpiservers, micro colo, etc) and he has done pretty well managing it so far.

The reason the other company failed is because they tried to sell cheap ass dedicated servers, overload their power/cooling capacity, and deadpooled as a result.

@iNanja said:
    Will we get the option to rent to own a hdd or ssd? I don't like shipping stuff, haha.

You could buy one off Newegg/Amazon/etc and have it shipped to the DC/Josh probably. That's what's nice about this, you pay for the drive up front yourself, and you get the space to run it without the mess of having a full server just for 1 or 2 drives.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Yes yes yes YESSSS!!!

I ordered a similar service from Delimeter, but obviously you can guess how that went.

I like it. I think it would be a really useful service.

• @plumberg said:
    what does slot hosting mean?

A brothel?

I'll get my coat...

Thanked by 1TimboJones

You send your HDD to someone. Say you send a 10TB HDD, they install it in a server and you get that 10TB capacity for a cheap hosting.

Just don't expect to get the HDD back later.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @jmgcaguicla @plumberg

This is awesome. I am in @DataIdeas-Josh
    I wanna be a part of the Alpha/ Beta.. pls let me know.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • Honestly very very interested in this kind of thing personally (maybe around February ). Only thing id like to maybe also see would be discount for multiple drives for raid ie 16$/2 drives kinda thing and option to just have you buy the drive from a retailer to reduce overall shipping.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 2022

It would be cool to see full scsi/ata pass through, for things like SMART and hardware encryption

• @plumberg said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @jmgcaguicla @plumberg

This is awesome. I am in @DataIdeas-Josh
    I wanna be a part of the Alpha/ Beta.. pls let me know.

Thanks!

@DataIdeas-Josh
    What are your initial thoughts on the pricing?
    Is the pricing per disk?
    Is raid configuration possible?
    How much would the base VPS configuration need to be?
    How much would the cost differ if you provided storage to us ?

Thanks!

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

The poll has only 2 options to choose
    1. Yes
    2. Yes

Anyway the idea is good but the only problem is user can't easily leave the provider if they aren't satisfy or get better offer from another provider.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited January 2022

@plumberg said:

It would be nice if you removed the original post from the quote so you're not flooding me with notifications every time you add another reply. Basic forum netiquette :smile:

Thanked by 1plumberg

My notification hasn't worked in years. Yours work?

• @deank said:
    My notification hasn't worked in years. Yours work?

You probably had it disabled since the beginning, by virtue of your tag you aren't supposed to participate in discussions anyway; stir shit, start a fire, run away and watch everything burn.

• I'm all for it. We need more options like this.

You are probably right.

Mine never worked since the very beginning. Never did my PM box.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@plumberg said:
    @DataIdeas-Josh
    What are your initial thoughts on the pricing?
    Is the pricing per disk?
    Is raid configuration possible?
    How much would the base VPS configuration need to be?
    How much would the cost differ if you provided storage to us ?

Thanks!

The pricing will be per disk.

• Granted will try to get it where there is a discount more drives you add.
    • Drives will be passed through the OS(Virtualization software) to your system(VM).
    • Yes, As the drives will just show up as a drive in your OS.
    • What do you mean VPS Base configuration?
    • As in we provide the drives or?
  • The idea seems interesting, but I don't like it. Data centers have options to buy more HDDs at a cheaper price, due to the special channel and contract with manufacturers. By buying a HDD from retail channel, while adding shipping costs, plus a special monthly fee for hosting... it's just not worth it, in my opinion.

Sure, if we think about custom storage with integrated data encryption for privacy and redundancy, such an idea for hosting starts to become quite interesting. But from a low-end perspective, I believe it's much cheaper and much more efficient to simply let the hosting companies do their plans, so they may come up with different VPS offers containing lots of space and RAID included.

All in all, I don't think I will buy such storage any time soon, simply because I don't need it. However, I respect @DataIdeas-Josh for asking the community before making an important business decision like this.

• @default said: The idea seems interesting, but I don't like it. Data centers have options to buy more HDDs at a cheaper price, due to the special channel and contract with manufacturers. By buying a HDD from retail channel, while adding shipping costs, plus a special monthly fee for hosting... it's just not worth it, in my opinion.

Yes if the hosting provider was running the entire supply chain.

But the purpose behind this business idea is to give people the opportunity to bootstrap their own storage deployment by sending their own hard drive. It's their decision if they're using consumer grade hard drive or something else, but it leaves the cost-benefit risk of going this route up to the customer (who purchased the slot hosting instance, therefore they understand the risk). If they buy a 12 TB HDD and send it and it works? Well good for the customer. If it doesn't, well that was the gamble.

I definitely don't think this is going to be a 'gangbuster big' idea. It'll be something interesting that doesn't really pay all the bills, but good enough to be worth the technical overhead.

I get your point and honestly I agree for the general market. But I think this appeals to the "biggest bang for the bucks" hobbiest/consumer who is willing to take on additional risk to have a lower monthly bill. Aka, the really price conscious individuals.

I mean look at people buying Boomer Hosting VPSes. The market is obviously there for a deal like that.

Thanked by 1lentro

Something else to think of. Is most of the storage options out there are $0.005/GB/Month or more. PLUS not including bandwidth costs/potential limitations.
    This solution gives you FULL control over your storage.

Thanked by 1lentro