Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HDD/SSD Slot hosting? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HDD/SSD Slot hosting?

Comments

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@plumberg said:
    @DataIdeas-Josh
    What are your initial thoughts on the pricing?
    Is the pricing per disk?
    Is raid configuration possible?
    How much would the base VPS configuration need to be?
    How much would the cost differ if you provided storage to us ?

Thanks!

The pricing will be per disk.

• Granted will try to get it where there is a discount more drives you add.
    • Drives will be passed through the OS(Virtualization software) to your system(VM).
    • Yes, As the drives will just show up as a drive in your OS.

• What do you mean VPS Base configuration

I mean is there any minimum vps customers will need to purchase?

• As in we provide the drives or?

Yes, if you provided storage drives... maybe then it becomes standard storage vps I guess

• I woudnt buy it.

With 4x4TB drives it will cost me $320 upfront (disk price) and then $40 for colo. No mention of setup fee so idk.
    I can get 4x4TB at Hetzner Auction for 34.45euro. dedi with i7 3770 + 32GB + 1Gbps unlimited.
    If disk dies I need to buy another one if I colo them.
    If I have RAID-Z1/Z2 array disks needs to be replaced asap. Addtional day of waiting for shipping from Amazon can destroy all data.

And if I would have like 16TB disks then I would have enough money to buy some cheap server and colo whole thing.

And in terms of Hetz - with SyS 4x2TB you can get 4x4TB drives in France/Canada/Poland and its even cheaper with 16IP included in price.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@plumberg said:

Yes, if you provided storage drives... maybe then it becomes standard storage vps I guess

>

• Each "slot" will have CPU/RAM attached to it. Might see if can do custom packages for those that want more slots but not a lot of CPU/RAM.
    • If we provide the storage then it will fall under standard VPS.
    • I just thought about it but might purchase some P2000s and do passthrough for those so those folks that want to run plex. (MAYBE)..
    Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@plumberg said:

>

• Each "slot" will have CPU/RAM attached to it. Might see if can do custom packages for those that want more slots but not a lot of CPU/RAM.
    • If we provide the storage then it will fall under standard VPS.
    • I just thought about it but might purchase some P2000s and do passthrough for those so those folks that want to run plex. (MAYBE)..

I think it would be better to share an illustration with rough pricing range for most of to clearly understand this

• @AXYZE said:
    I woudnt buy it.

With 4x4TB drives it will cost me $320 upfront (disk price) and then $40 for colo. No mention of setup fee so idk.
    I can get 4x4TB at Hetzner Auction for 34.45euro. dedi with i7 3770 + 32GB + 1Gbps unlimited.
    If I have RAID-Z1/Z2 array disks needs to be replaced asap. Addtional day of waiting for shipping from Amazon can destroy all data.

And if I would have like 16TB disks then I would have enough money to buy some cheap server and colo whole thing.

And in terms of Hetz - with SyS 4x2TB you can get 4x4TB drives in France/Canada/Poland and its even cheaper with 16IP included in price.

while your example is a valid calcaulation one could think about other scenarios with bigger sizes, single disk, let's say 16TB. hosted for a tenner a month you can spread the buying cost across 2-3 years and easily come out at 1.50 per TB per month. sure it's rather a niche market anyway.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @Falzo said:

@AXYZE said:
    I woudnt buy it.

while your example is a valid calcaulation one could think about other scenarios with bigger sizes, single disk, let's say 16TB. hosted for a tenner a month you can spread the buying cost across 2-3 years and easily come out at 1.50 per TB per month. sure it's rather a niche market anyway.

1.50 per TB... as long as drive wont fail... :) Yea, you can send it on warranty, but you lose all your files and if warranty expired then you need to spend money once again.

What would be use case for single 16TB drive?
    Backup of the backup, unimportant files "just in case"? AWS Glacier is even cheaper. Yea I know... retrieval costs, but if you put 16TB on one disk then if it fail you cant retrieve anything, on Glacier you are sure you can retrieve files.

If you get 2x 16TB and you mirror them then its $3/TB (2x your 1x16TB calculations).
    Then you have 1fichier cold storage for $1/TB, Yandex.Disk for around $2/TB.
    And you don't need to care about any additional cost if disk would fail, no time wasted, no stress.
    Big companies have a lot of data so they can deduplicate at block level (so it doesn't matter if you upload completly new files, they still save good chunk of data), there's no way to fight with them in terms of pricing. Replication of data at this point is also not that costly.
    For example when Mail.ru deduplicated their storage servers they saved around 18PB of data, huge percentage of everything they had https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/01/reducing-email-storage-mailru/

• @AXYZE said: What would be use case for single 16TB drive?

Backup of the backup, unimportant files "just in case"? AWS Glacier is even cheaper. Yea I know... retrieval costs, but if you put 16TB on one disk then if it fail you cant retrieve anything, on Glacier you are sure you can retrieve files.

people rent kimsufi with atom and 2TB single drive on 100 Mbit. for sure there will be use cases that people come up with for a comparable VM with an own attached but much larger disk... maybe not for you or for me but just saying ;-)

TL;DR; I think the idea has its charm and one can find clients for it.

Thanked by 1default
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Falzo said:
    TL;DR; I think the idea has its charm and one can find clients for it.

True. Paying $10/month for 16TB is actually great. The problem lies in other aspects, like buying the drive and shipping it there.

Maybe costs could be reduced even more by buying straight from Amazon with free shipping towards data center, as courier destination (I don't know if this is possible - maybe @DataIdeas-Josh could provide more info). As incentive, maybe Dataideas could partner with Amazon (or other US companies) for coupons and special offers on HDDs with free shipping towards data center.

The idea sounds interesting, but is it low-end?

• 10$ with 16TB drive sounds good

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Two / three things will happen once HDDS are sent.

1. It will go bad a lot sooner than it should be. Shipping fee to send it back will be absurd, forcing you to give up on HDD. For hosts, free HDD.

2. A user asks to send it back. Again, shipping fee will be absurd because the host will want a tracking, insurance, PMS protection pees, and whatnot.

3. It is mysteriously lost at one point.

Not making those up. Has happened before.

• @deank said:
    Two / three things will happen once HDDS are sent.

1. It will go bad a lot sooner than it should be. Shipping fee to send it back will be absurd, forcing you to give up on HDD. For hosts, free HDD.

2. A user asks to send it back. Again, shipping fee will be absurd because the host will want a tracking, insurance, PMS protection pees, and whatnot.

3. It is mysteriously lost at one point.

Not making those up. Has happened before.

totally possible. expectations should be managed properly. on the other hand, there is also a possibility for it to last a while and pay off ;-)
    $200 bucks a year dedi with delimiter did it's job well for 2 or 3 years, so that's that. :lol:

• @Falzo said:

totally possible. expectations should be managed properly. on the other hand, there is also a possibility for it to last a while and pay off ;-)
    $200 bucks a year dedi with delimiter did it's job well for 2 or 3 years, so that's that. :lol:

What was the offer with Delimiter? Can you share some context? Thanks

I don't recall clearly but the plan was dirt cheap + 100% of your HDD capacity.

In fact, I'd say early adopters got their money's worth. But those who got in late, before the fall of D, got basically scammed. Their HDDs got lost or mysteriously got broken, etc.

• @deank said:
    I don't recall clearly but the plan was dirt cheap + 100% of your HDD capacity.

In fact, I'd say early adopters got their money's worth. But those who got in late, before the fall of D, got basically scammed. Their HDDs got lost or mysteriously got broken, etc.

Ahh I see. Thanks. So there is definitely a market for this. Ofcourse there are some nuances which need to be ironed out, I am sure it seems a good option for those who fancy this setup. There is probably more risk for the end users compared to the provider in this case.
    I still dig it though - would definitely give it a shot.

Absolutely little risk for the host. In fact, if they play their cards right, it's occasional free HDD.

As a consumer, I see little benefit in it. The risk is a bit too high to gamble. If you send a 200 bucks HDD (10TB + shipping) to save some monthly, you are going to need around 2 solid years of service to break even.

That's hardly a saving in my book. What if it breaks down? What if the host terminates your account for whatever reason?

In the end, the host will have a hostage and will have all the advantages over you. The host might even want your first born and your wife in exchange for your precious HDD. It's just not HDD, either. It will also have your data, your linux ISO!

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2022

@plumberg said:

@Falzo said:

the actual offer I meant in my post was their regular dedi-sale offer, it was dual L5420 or so (got an upgrade later to E3-something if I remember correctly) with 24GB RAM and some dual disk, I think it was 2x500GB or so? IPs I am not totally sure anymore, I had a few, but maybe that was customized. all in all price was $200 a year, location Atlanta.

regarding their slot-hosting, this was mentioned back then:

Your disks around mounted to a KVM VPS with dedicated cores and memory. The basic package contains 1 dedicated L5520 core, 1GB RAM, 10GB boot disk, 4TB bandwidth and 1 disk slot; you can add and aggregate them as you need. The disks are presented to your VPS as raw devices so you can mount your choice of filesystem, setup software RAID or even encrypt the filesystem.
    You can ship us pre-populated disks or just brand new ones right from retailers like Newegg or Amazon, SSD or regular spinning disks, you choose the size 1TB, 4TB, 6TB, its the same cost to host them. Alternatively we can provide you with the disks for a one-time payment.
    The cost per slot is $30/quarter ($10/month) or $100/year ($8.33/month). All resources: RAM and CPU are fully dedicated, there is no sharing/fair share.

I never used that offer though. If I remember correctly it was available from mid of 2015 till 2017 or so at least? you could also book multiple slots and combine or raid I think...

they were quite hyped for a while and their spokesperson @MarkTurner fitted in with LET tone of voice quite well so to speak... ;-) at some point they fell a bit over their feet with downtime from cable cuts and AC failures I think. then there was a mysterious move in and out of Atlanta or not and speculations about the building and whatnot.

it didn't end well, services dropped out and depending on the time left on the contracts quite some people had to take losses.

their page is still up, if you want to try and order something...

best of luck :lol: :lol: :lol:

even better: https://cc.***.com/cart/slot-hosting/

edit, rather removed the links, dunno, what's the general stance on posting such is around here, sorry ;-)

• @Falzo said:

@plumberg said:

@Falzo said:

the actual offer I meant in my post was their regular dedi-sale offer, it was dual L5420 or so (got an upgrade later to E3-something if I remember correctly) with 24GB RAM and some dual disk, I think it was 2x500GB or so? IPs I am not totally sure anymore, I had a few, but maybe that was customized. all in all price was $200 a year, location Atlanta.

regarding their slot-hosting, this was mentioned back then:

Your disks around mounted to a KVM VPS with dedicated cores and memory. The basic package contains 1 dedicated L5520 core, 1GB RAM, 10GB boot disk, 4TB bandwidth and 1 disk slot; you can add and aggregate them as you need. The disks are presented to your VPS as raw devices so you can mount your choice of filesystem, setup software RAID or even encrypt the filesystem.
    > You can ship us pre-populated disks or just brand new ones right from retailers like Newegg or Amazon, SSD or regular spinning disks, you choose the size 1TB, 4TB, 6TB, its the same cost to host them. Alternatively we can provide you with the disks for a one-time payment.
    > The cost per slot is $30/quarter ($10/month) or $100/year ($8.33/month). All resources: RAM and CPU are fully dedicated, there is no sharing/fair share.

I never used that offer though. If I remember correctly it was available from mid of 2015 till 2017 or so at least? you could also book multiple slots and combine or raid I think...

they were quite hyped for a while and their spokesperson @MarkTurner fitted in with LET tone of voice quite well so to speak... ;-) at some point they fell a bit over their feet with downtime from cable cuts and AC failures I think. then there was a mysterious move in and out of Atlanta or not and speculations about the building and whatnot.

it didn't end well, services dropped out and depending on the time left on the contracts quite some people had to take losses.

their page is still up, if you want to try and order something...

best of luck :lol: :lol: :lol:

even better: https://cc.***.com/cart/slot-hosting/

edit, rather removed the links, dunno, what's the general stance on posting such is around here, sorry ;-)

Thank you for the detailed note. Let's see what @DataIdeas-Josh figures out next

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Yeah, no. 10 a month and I still have to buy an hdd urm... just comparing what you can get for 5 bucks a month that includes a hdd...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@risharde said:
    Yeah, no. 10 a month and I still have to buy an hdd urm... just comparing what you can get for 5 bucks a month that includes a hdd...

Do an 18TB HDD and recalculate.

Thanked by 3steny lentro that_guy
  • What is the bandwidth transfer limit? Can I seed 100TB of torrent per month for 10$?

@jar I thought about this but my answer was for my personal scenario case and so don't need an 18tb drive on a server but I guess this could be useful to you for your company's massive amount of email data as a backup I assume. Until I can actually profit from a venture and have that kind of size of data, nope. Also 18tb would need some serious bandwidth allocation if actually needed for backups right?

This is LET. We don't talk about backups here.

@deank lol funniest comment for 2022 I've read!

@risharde said:
    @jar I thought about this but my answer was for my personal scenario case and so don't need an 18tb drive on a server but I guess this could be useful to you for your company's massive amount of email data as a backup I assume. Until I can actually profit from a venture and have that kind of size of data, nope. Also 18tb would need some serious bandwidth allocation if actually needed for backups right?

I'm all about the incremental backups these days 😁

But anyway @DataIdeas-Josh this could easily be my primary backup plan so yeah, let's do this.

• i am interested too =)

• @deank said:
    I recall a certain host doing slot hosting.

Long story short, it ended in a total disaster.

What's the long story

@lanefu said:

@deank said:
    I recall a certain host doing slot hosting.

Long story short, it ended in a total disaster.

What's the long story

You can't just put anything people mail to you in your slot, that's how you get ants.

Also search delimiter.

• You can't just put anything people mail to you in your slot, that's how you get ants.

Ants in a datacenter? What kind of datacenter is that?

Or maybe the word "ants" is supposed to be figuratively, as in abusers, or police raid.

Thanked by 1jar
  • FractionFrankFractionFrank Member, Host Rep

Sounds like a nightmare to me!

Just think you will attract people with old consumer grade disks they have lying around/in their PCs which they ship to you, sooner or later will fail and the customer will tell you "it was fine when it left here"...